Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Thu Sep 5 13:04:29 PDT 2024

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/monographs-edited-collections/contemporary-vulnerabilities-reflections-on-social-justice-methodologies/) Contemporary Vulnerabilities: Reflections on Social Justice Methodologies
Sep 5th 2024, 13:09

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/monographs-edited-collections/contemporary-vulnerabilities-reflections-on-social-justice-methodologies/) Contemporary Vulnerabilities: Reflections on Social Justice Methodologies was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/pag0000833/) The Flynn effect and cognitive decline among americans aged 65 years and older.
Sep 5th 2024, 12:43

Psychology and Aging, Vol 39(5), Aug 2024, 457-466; doi:10.1037/pag0000833
To contribute to our understanding of cohort differences and the Flynn effect in the cognitive decline among older Americans, this study aims to compare rates of cognitive decline between two birth cohorts within a study of older Americans and to examine the importance of medical and demographic confounders. Analyses used data from the National Health and Aging Trends Study (2011–2019), which recruited older Americans in 2011 and again in 2015 who were then followed for 5 years. We employed mixed-effect models to examine the linear and quadratic main and interaction effects of year of birth while adjusting for covariates such as annual round, sex/gender, education, race/ethnicity, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, test unfamiliarity, and survey design. We analyzed data from 11,167 participants: 7,325 from 2011 to 2015 and 3,842 from 2015 to 2019. The cohort recruited in 2015 was born, on average, 5.33 years later than that recruited in 2011 and had higher functioning than the one recruited in 2011 across all observed cognitive domains that persisted after adjusting for covariates. In multivariable-adjusted analyses, a 1-year increase in year of birth was associated with increased episodic memory (β = 0.045, SE = 0.001, p
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/pag0000833/) The Flynn effect and cognitive decline among americans aged 65 years and older. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/medicaid-expansion-opened-a-new-door-for-disabled-blacks-hispanics/) Medicaid Expansion Opened a New Door for Disabled Blacks, Hispanics
Sep 5th 2024, 12:22

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/medicaid-expansion-opened-a-new-door-for-disabled-blacks-hispanics/) Medicaid Expansion Opened a New Door for Disabled Blacks, Hispanics was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09075682241269791/) Youth-led social action at school: ‘It made me think that there could be a way to make things better in the future’
Sep 5th 2024, 12:09

Childhood, Ahead of Print. This article critically reflects on the Education Peace Project, instigated by seven young people in a northern England secondary school. It explores how this different beginning makes visible the relational, place-based approaches involved in collaborative research. We suggest schools could do more to support young people to think, talk and act on issues that concern them, by addressing deep-seated attitudes about childhood, knowledge and learning, and opening up spaces where young people can participate differently, by working collectively for meaningful change.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09075682241269791?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09075682241269791/) Youth-led social action at school: ‘It made me think that there could be a way to make things better in the future’ was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09075682241269720/) Participation for protection: New perspectives on the value of young people’s involvement in research addressing sexual violence
Sep 5th 2024, 12:09

Childhood, Ahead of Print. Within our research to address sexual violence, we have developed an approach supporting collaboration between young people and academic staff called YRAP (Young Researchers Advisory Panel). YRAP exists to support young people’s influence in research addressing sexual violence – both in our university and beyond. In this article, current and former YRAP members, as well as current and former academic supporting staff, reflect on our experiences and learning. We also highlight the importance of finding new ways to explain the value and contribution of our work through the development of an infographic and model called Participation as Protection.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09075682241269720?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09075682241269720/) Participation for protection: New perspectives on the value of young people’s involvement in research addressing sexual violence was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09075682241269682/) Participating together in CP-ACHIEVE: Experiences, opportunities and reflections from a collaborative research team of people with lived experience of cerebral palsy and health care professionals
Sep 5th 2024, 12:09

Childhood, Ahead of Print. The Australian Centre for Health, Independence, Economic participation and Value Enhanced care for adolescents and young adults with Cerebral Palsy (CP-ACHIEVE) is a Centre of Research Excellence (CRE), funded for 5-year by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia. The vision of CP-ACHIEVE is an Australia where people with cerebral palsy receive excellent healthcare throughout their lives and live in, and contribute to, supportive communities that welcome and enable their participation. CP-ACHIEVE began with the ethical commitment to bring together people with lived experience of cerebral palsy, researchers, and health professionals to develop and conduct research informed by, and relevant to, people with cerebral palsy and their allies. From inception, co-research and collaboration with (not ‘to’ or ‘about’) young people with cerebral palsy (10 to 30 years of age) and their families has been central to our work. In this paper, we describe the CP-ACHIEVE values, structure and strategy for this approach, and its implementation at each stage of the research process. We then provide an example of the strategy in action, using a qualitative exploration of CP-ACHIEVE’s Participation Theme team’s experiences of collaboration and involvement as co-researchers. Active participation in research for young people with lived experience of cerebral palsy and their families is a fundamental human right, based on their right to be active agents in decisions that affect them. In this paper we explore how our collaborative approach, and the integration of diverse views, has enhanced the relevance, quality, usefulness, and translation of our research. We also describe (i) the structural elements of our research group that have facilitated our work together, (ii) our challenges, and (iii) how the ownership of our research by people with cerebral palsy is driving future research directions and empowering involvement of people with lived experience beyond CP-ACHIEVE. We offer this knowledge and our experiences to assist other research teams in their journeys towards collaborative research alongside people with lived experience of disability.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09075682241269682?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09075682241269682/) Participating together in CP-ACHIEVE: Experiences, opportunities and reflections from a collaborative research team of people with lived experience of cerebral palsy and health care professionals was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/15586898241279880/) Media Review: The Sage Handbook of Mixed Methods Research Design
Sep 5th 2024, 12:08

Journal of Mixed Methods Research, Ahead of Print.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/15586898241279880?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/15586898241279880/) Media Review: The Sage Handbook of Mixed Methods Research Design was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00207640241278291/) Discontinuity of psychiatric care among patients with bipolar disorder in the Netherlands
Sep 5th 2024, 12:08

International Journal of Social Psychiatry, Ahead of Print. Background:Patients with bipolar disorder benefit from guidelines recommended continuous community-oriented psychiatric and somatic healthcare, but often discontinue psychiatric care.Aims:The first objective was to identify predictive factors of discontinuity of psychiatric care among patients who had received psychiatric care. The second objective was to examine if practice variation in discontinuity of psychiatric care existed between providers of psychiatric care.Method:Registry healthcare data were used in a retrospective cohort study design using logistic regression models to examine potential predictive factors of discontinuity of care. Patient-related predictive factors were: age, sex, urbanization, and previous treatment (type and amount of psychiatric care, alcohol, and opioid treatment). Patients already diagnosed with bipolar disorder were selected if they received psychiatric care in December 2014 to January 2015. Discontinuity of psychiatric care was measured over 2016.Results:A total of 2,355 patients with bipolar disorder were included. In 12.1% discontinuity of care occurred in 2016. Discontinuity was associated with younger age and less outpatient care over 2013 to 2014. Discontinuity of patients who received all eight quarters outpatient care including BD medication was very low at 4%. The final model contained: age, type of psychiatric care, and amount of outpatient care in 2013 to 2014. Practice variation among providers appeared negligible.Conclusions:The (mental) health service in the Netherlands has few financial or other barriers toward continuity of care for patients with severe mental disorders, such as bipolar disorder. An active network of providers, aim to standardize care. This seems successful. However, 12% discontinuity per year remains problematic and more detailed data on those most at risk to drop out of treatment are necessary.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00207640241278291?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00207640241278291/) Discontinuity of psychiatric care among patients with bipolar disorder in the Netherlands was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00207640241277166/) Supporting movement and physical activity in people with psychosis: A qualitative exploration of the carer perspective
Sep 5th 2024, 12:08

International Journal of Social Psychiatry, Ahead of Print. Background:The need to increase exercise and decrease sedentary behaviour in people diagnosed with psychosis is well-recognised.Aims:We set out to explore caregivers’ perspectives on what supports and prevents physical activity, and how to use carers’ support most effectively.Method:Fourteen caregivers of people diagnosed with psychosis were interviewed. Data were analysed using reflexive thematic analysis, in collaboration with caregivers.Results:Four themes were developed, the first flagging the importance of physical activity, then the others calling for action: (a) Physical inactivity matters: carers are keen to support efforts to increase physical activity in their family or friends because of the enormous impact physical inactivity has on patients, and consequently on carers themselves, such as social isolation and reduction in their own activity. (b) Tell us: without being well-informed about how to help, carers can feel like they are powerless to stop a ‘slow suicide’ or ‘decline’ in patients. (c) Listen to us: through knowing their family and friends well, carers are able to identify important changes in patients and identify successful motivators for them, but these insights can feel uninvited. (d) Ask us: being invited to support activity as a partner in a patients’ care is desirable but having offers of help rejected can “demotivate the motivator.”Conclusions:Caregivers described strong motivation to help patients to be more physically active but can feel that their support is overlooked and under-used by services. Clinical recommendations for carer involvement in physical activity interventions are offered.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00207640241277166?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00207640241277166/) Supporting movement and physical activity in people with psychosis: A qualitative exploration of the carer perspective was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00207640241277152/) The mitigating role of social capital on the association between food insecurity and psychological distress among Chinese adults
Sep 5th 2024, 12:08

International Journal of Social Psychiatry, Ahead of Print. Background:Food insecurity, a pervasive global issue exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, has been linked to adverse mental health outcomes. However, the role of social capital in mitigating this relationship remains understudied, particularly in the Chinese context.Aims:This study investigated the associations between food insecurity and psychological distress (depressive and anxiety symptoms) and examined the potential moderating effects of bonding and bridging social capital among Chinese adults in Shanghai.Methods:This cross-sectional study included 3,220 Chinese adults (mean age: 34.45; 51.5% male) in Shanghai. Food insecurity was assessed using the modified Household Food Insecurity Access Scale, psychological distress was measured using the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 and the Generalized Anxiety Disorder-7, and social capital was evaluated using the Revised Personal Social Capital Scale.Results:Multivariable linear regression analyses revealed that food insecurity was significantly positively associated with both depressive (β = 0.449, SE = 0.024) and anxiety symptoms (β = 0.391, SE = 0.022), after adjusting for sociodemographic characteristics, health status, and COVID-19-related factors. Higher levels of bonding and bridging social capital were significantly associated with fewer depressive and anxiety symptoms. Significant interactions (p < .001) between bonding social capital and food insecurity indicated that the associations between food insecurity and psychological distress were less pronounced among adults with higher bonding social capital.Conclusions:These findings highlight the critical role of food insecurity as a risk factor for psychological distress and the importance of bonding social capital in mitigating its impact on mental health. Policies and interventions targeting food insecurity prevention and bonding social capital enhancement may promote better mental health outcomes among Chinese adults.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00207640241277152?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00207640241277152/) The mitigating role of social capital on the association between food insecurity and psychological distress among Chinese adults was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08862605241271418/) Interpersonal Violence in Five Regions in Asia: Ecological Risk Factors Associated with Perceptions of Justifiability of Violence
Sep 5th 2024, 12:08

Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Ahead of Print. In Asia, rates of interpersonal violence are increasing, with significant regional disparities. However, long-term, continental-scale research considering regional differences across the Asia regions is limited. Guided by the ecological model, we examined five ecological risk factors (low life satisfaction/happiness, economic hardship, neighborhood disadvantage, patriarchal values, and religiosity) associated with perceptions of justification of interpersonal violence (i.e., intimate partner violence [IPV] against wife, child physical abuse, and violence against others) in five regions in Asia (i.e., East, West, Central, South, and Southeast). Using the World Values Survey (n = 32,307), a multigroup multiple regression model was used with robust maximum likelihood estimation using Mplus ver. 8. In the entire Asia sample model, perceptions of justifiability of IPV against wife were positively associated with low life satisfaction/happiness; economic hardship; neighborhood disadvantage; and patriarchal values, while they were negatively associated with religiosity. Perceptions of justifiability of child abuse were positively associated with low life satisfaction/happiness; neighborhood disadvantage; and patriarchal values, while they were negatively associated with economic hardship and religiosity. Perceptions of justifiability of violence against others were positively associated with economic hardship and neighborhood disadvantage, while they were negatively associated with religiosity. Each region presented unique risk factor associations. Considering the high rates of interpersonal violence in Asia, understanding the risk factors associated with perceptions of justifying specific types of interpersonal violence can provide an initial insight into preventing violence in Asia. Further, as many Asians dwelling outside Asian regions are still influenced by their culture, religion, language, and norms of the region of origin, the study findings may shed light on future studies to consider in the interpersonal violence literature.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/08862605241271418?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08862605241271418/) Interpersonal Violence in Five Regions in Asia: Ecological Risk Factors Associated with Perceptions of Justifiability of Violence was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08862605241271383/) Comparing and Predicting Rape Acknowledgment Between Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Categories
Sep 5th 2024, 12:08

Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Ahead of Print. It is well known that sexual violence is a prevalent social problem that often results in numerous deleterious outcomes for victims and these outcomes are often influenced by rape acknowledgment (i.e., whether the rape victim acknowledges their experience as rape). Most research on rape acknowledgment examines acknowledgment as a dichotomous variable and comprises heterosexual cisgender women, revealing two gaps in the literature. To fill these gaps, this study used quantitative data that oversampled LGBTQ+ populations to examine three categories of rape acknowledgment (yes, no, uncertain) among a gender and sexually diverse sample (N = 817). Results indicate that 20% of the sample were uncertain as to whether they had been raped, 33% were unacknowledged victims, and 44% acknowledged their rape. Sexual minority transgender/nonbinary people had the highest prevalence of rape acknowledgment (56%), compared with four other groupings: heterosexual cis men and women as well as sexual minority cis men and women (28%–49%). Multivariate analysis revealed that when controlling for other factors, gender identity, but not sexual orientation, significantly predicts rape acknowledgment. Namely, sexual minority transgender/nonbinary people and cis women were more likely than cis men to acknowledge their rape. This study offers evidence to suggest that acknowledgment differs significantly by gender identity and is worth further inquiry. Limitations and suggestions for future research are discussed.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/08862605241271383?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08862605241271383/) Comparing and Predicting Rape Acknowledgment Between Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Categories was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08862605241277275/) Overcoming Rape: A Mixed-Methods Approach to Understanding Psychological and Physical Health Functioning of Male Survivors
Sep 5th 2024, 12:08

Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Ahead of Print. When examining sexual assault, men are often hidden from the literature. The current study employed a mixed-methods, convergent parallel design to examine the experiences of 22 male survivors of sexual assault (mean age = 44.19, SD = 13.28, range 18–65; 91% European American; 50% heterosexual). Survivors were administered an online survey using quantitative and qualitative questions to assess rape myths, gender roles, self-esteem, self-efficacy, resiliency, coping, overall mental and physical health, and diagnostic criteria for alcohol abuse, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and sexual dysfunction. Three key themes emerged from the integration of quantitative and qualitative data: (a) Help is Elusive, (b) Internal Struggles and External Strengths, and (c) Living with Clinical Diagnoses. This study adds to an important area of the literature that increases understanding of men’s experiences with sexual violence and honors the voices of these survivors.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/08862605241277275?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08862605241277275/) Overcoming Rape: A Mixed-Methods Approach to Understanding Psychological and Physical Health Functioning of Male Survivors was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634615241272982/) The Somali Distress and Resilience Scale: Development of a novel measure for Somali adults
Sep 5th 2024, 12:07

Transcultural Psychiatry, Ahead of Print. Although resilience has been identified as an important mediator of negative mental health outcomes among refugee populations, there are few culturally specific measures of resilience among such communities and no such measure among Somalis. In this study we aimed to develop a culturally appropriate measure of resilience specific to Somali adults in San Diego, as an example of a vulnerable refugee community. A community-based, exploratory sequential mixed method investigation was conducted via focus group discussions (n = 4), cognitive interviews (n = 4), and iterative survey adaptation. Somali refugee adults in San Diego (N = 183) were surveyed with this novel scale, a standardized measure of resilience, and assessments of depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Results were analyzed via correlation coefficients and multivariate linear regression modeling. Qualitative findings supported the inclusion of items addressing both barriers and facilitators of good mental health, which resulted in the development of the Somali Distress and Resilience Survey (SDRS). Linear regression analysis revealed that the SDRS demonstrated significant associations with symptoms of depression and PTSD, while the standardized measure of resilience did not demonstrate associations with any of the mental health outcomes assessed. The SDRS identified obstacles to resilience among Somali individuals, placing them at risk of developing negative mental health outcomes. Our novel measure also demonstrated more robust relationships with these outcomes than a standardized measure of resilience, suggesting greater utility of the adapted scale. However, the SDRS’s development raises larger questions about the limitations of developing and comprehensively evaluating novel resilience measures in a community-based setting.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634615241272982?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634615241272982/) The Somali Distress and Resilience Scale: Development of a novel measure for Somali adults was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634615241260624/) An exploration of self-continuity for rural Indigenous youth: Considering the influence of community and cultural factors on perceiving oneself across time
Sep 5th 2024, 12:07

Transcultural Psychiatry, Ahead of Print. Research on self- and cultural continuity has contributed to our understanding of resilience processes in Indigenous communities, as connecting oneself to the past, present, and future of one’s family, community, and traditional culture has been found to protect against deleterious developmental outcomes. To examine factors associated with self-continuity for Indigenous youth in the current study, Indigenous youth from six rural Ojibway and Métis communities in Treaty 2 Territory completed self-report questionnaires aimed at understanding the relationship between the concept of oneself across time and protective and risk factors at different systemic levels (family, community, culture, and colonial). The concept of oneself across time was measured by self-efficacy (global self-worth) and future orientations (optimism and sense of self in the future). The findings indicated that connectedness to caregivers, siblings, friends, neighborhoods, and culture was associated with higher self-efficacy, seeing oneself as more connected to the future, and seeing the future more positively. These findings support the notion that familial, community, and cultural connectedness are associated positive self-concepts in the present and future, which aligns with our understanding of self- and cultural continuity in Indigenous communities.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634615241260624?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634615241260624/) An exploration of self-continuity for rural Indigenous youth: Considering the influence of community and cultural factors on perceiving oneself across time was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634615241255713/) Examining community-level protection from Alaska Native suicide: An Indigenous knowledge-informed extension of the legacy of Michael Chandler and Christopher Lalonde
Sep 5th 2024, 12:07

Transcultural Psychiatry, Ahead of Print. Chandler and Lalonde broadened the scope of inquiry in suicide research by providing theoretical grounding and empirical support for the role of community, culture, and history in understanding Indigenous youth suicide and reimagining its prevention. Their work pushed the field to consider the intersectional process of individual and collective meaning-making in prevention of Indigenous suicide, together with the central role culture plays in bringing coherence to this process over time. Their innovation shifted the research focus to include the shared histories, contexts, and structures of meaning that shape individual lives and behaviors. We describe here a new generation of research extending their pathbreaking line of inquiry. Recent work aims to identify complex associations between community-level structures and suicidal behavior by collaborating with Alaska Native people from rural communities to describe how community protective factors function as preventative resources in their daily lives. Community engagement and knowledge co-production created a measure of community protection from suicide. Structured interviews with rural Alaska Native community members allowed use of this measure to produce relevant, accessible, and actionable knowledge. Ongoing investigations next seek to describe their mechanisms in shaping young people’s lives through a multilevel, mixed-methods community-based study linking community-level protection to protection and well-being of individual youth. These efforts to understand the multiple culture-specific and culturally mediated pathways by which communities build on their strengths, resources, and practices to support Indigenous young people’s development and reduce suicide risk are inspired by and expand on Chandler and Lalonde’s remarkable legacy.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634615241255713?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634615241255713/) Examining community-level protection from Alaska Native suicide: An Indigenous knowledge-informed extension of the legacy of Michael Chandler and Christopher Lalonde was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10778012241277894/) “Daddy Issues” and Diagnoses: Gendered Weaponization of Mental Health in Intimate Relationships
Sep 5th 2024, 12:07

Violence Against Women, Ahead of Print. Through life story interviews with victims of psychological abuse, we offer new empirical evidence for a tactic of coercive control: mental health weaponization. Shaped by structural vulnerabilities, mental health weaponization involves three key features: gendered accusations that victims are “crazy” and emotionally unstable; leveraging victims’ past traumas against them, particularly that they form “bad” attachments to men; mobilizing victims’ mental health diagnoses or symptoms against them to cast them as noncredible. This article enhances our understanding of controlling and abusive tactics in intimate relationships by showing how they are rooted in social inequalities at the intersection of gender and mental health status.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10778012241277894?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10778012241277894/) “Daddy Issues” and Diagnoses: Gendered Weaponization of Mental Health in Intimate Relationships was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10778012241275694/) Peripheral Embodiment: Polish Women Rebuilding Their Lives After Domestic Violence Through Their Bodies
Sep 5th 2024, 12:07

Violence Against Women, Ahead of Print. In deeply Catholic Poland, domestic violence (DV) is often denied, downplayed, or justified, hindering its recognition as a pressing societal issue. This study addresses the scarcity of research on the experiences and recovery of Polish women from DV. Through feminist interviews with 13 women in Norway and Poland who survived DV, our findings reveal a complex entanglement of embodied experiences with history, religion, society, and gender hierarchies during their recovery processes. Participants emphasized the significance of “body works,” such as running and using makeup, as essential for empowerment and regaining control of their battered bodies and minds.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10778012241275694?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10778012241275694/) Peripheral Embodiment: Polish Women Rebuilding Their Lives After Domestic Violence Through Their Bodies was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10778012241275692/) “I Can Feel It in My Spine”: Indigenous Women’s Embodied Experiences of Violence and Healing
Sep 5th 2024, 12:07

Violence Against Women, Ahead of Print. This article draws on the stories told by Indigenous women in the midwestern United States to explore embodied experiences of violence and how they conceptualize healing in the aftermath of violence. Two focus groups—conducted as talking circles—were completed with 16 Indigenous women. Findings highlight four salient themes: embodied impacts of violence; normalization of violence; (im)possibilities of healing; and strategies for healing. In particular, the women highlighted embodied practices like collective storytelling as a means of healing. This study deepens our understanding of violence against women by promoting Indigenous ways of knowing and uplifting the voices of Indigenous women.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10778012241275692?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10778012241275692/) “I Can Feel It in My Spine”: Indigenous Women’s Embodied Experiences of Violence and Healing was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00110000241268798/) Aboriginal Practitioners’ Perspectives on Culturally Informed Practice for Trauma Healing in Australia
Sep 5th 2024, 12:06

The Counseling Psychologist, Ahead of Print. Colonisation continues to impact Aboriginal children and families through perpetual cycles of transgenerational trauma. To achieve culturally safe and effective healing, practitioners working with Aboriginal people must be culturally competent, yet existing research suggests culturally informed practice (CIP) is often poorly understood and implemented by many practitioners. Centring Indigenous perspectives, the present study explored how Aboriginal practitioners in Australia conceptualise and use CIPs when supporting Aboriginal children and families to heal from trauma. Six Aboriginal women practitioners from mental health and social work settings participated in individual research yarns. Reflexive thematic analysis was used to generate four themes, including centring Aboriginal ways, approaches to healing, creating space for healing, and reflexive and responsive practice. CIPs are embedded within Aboriginal approaches to healing, consider the impacts of trauma and colonisation, and require all practitioners to actively engage with Aboriginal people and their ways of knowing, being, and doing.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00110000241268798?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00110000241268798/) Aboriginal Practitioners’ Perspectives on Culturally Informed Practice for Trauma Healing in Australia was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00110000241275190/) Development and Preliminary Validation of the Complicated and Adaptive Grief Inventory for Native Americans
Sep 5th 2024, 12:06

The Counseling Psychologist, Ahead of Print. Grief research among American Indian (AI) and Alaska Native (AN) people has been limited to studies on historical trauma and elevated mortality rates among AI/ANs. A lack of validated measures is one barrier to grief research with AI/ANs. Therefore, we conducted three studies to develop and validate a culturally congruent measure of grief. In Study 1, interviews were conducted with 12 AI reservation-based community members to understand perspectives on grief. In Study 2, AI/AN community members (n = 10) and professionals (n = 7) provided feedback on measure items adapted or developed in Study 1. In Study 3, exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses using separate randomly selected samples from a web-based survey of 600 AI/ANs were conducted to identify the factor structure of the Complicated and Adaptive Grief Inventory for Native Americans (CAGI-NA). Findings suggest that the resulting 30-item CAGI-NA is valid, reliable, and suitable for use in research with AI/AN people.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00110000241275190?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00110000241275190/) Development and Preliminary Validation of the Complicated and Adaptive Grief Inventory for Native Americans was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/07334648241274532/) Influence of Reading or Writing Activities Shared with Others on Older Adults: Results From a Scoping Study
Sep 5th 2024, 12:06

Journal of Applied Gerontology, Ahead of Print. This study aimed to provide integrated knowledge on the influence of shared reading or writing activities, that is, recreational occupations involving dynamic relationships based on personal development, on adults aged 55 and older. Using a scoping study framework, six databases were searched with 25 relevant keywords for papers, theses, and scientific reports published in 2001–2023. Based on the Human Development Model–Disability Creation Process, the content analysis of 20 documents showed that shared reading or writing activities mostly benefited aging adults’ behavioral capabilities like positive affect, their intellectual capacities, such as developing new perspectives on life, their interpersonal relationships, and social support. Negative instances, such as frustration, were often mentioned at the beginning of the activities but decreased over time. These results suggest the importance of shared reading or writing activities for healthy aging and the necessity to better support these activities for more inclusive and caring aging societies.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/07334648241274532?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/07334648241274532/) Influence of Reading or Writing Activities Shared with Others on Older Adults: Results From a Scoping Study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/07334648241271975/) Physical Activity and Neurocognitive Symptoms in Older Adults During COVID-19 Pandemic
Sep 5th 2024, 12:06

Journal of Applied Gerontology, Ahead of Print. Objectives: Examine whether physical activity (PA) changes during the COVID-19 pandemic were related to subjective cognitive decline (SCD), depression, and anxiety in older adults and whether these varied by sociodemographic variables. Methods: 301 older adults completed an online survey between May and October 2020 and 3 months later, including self-report questionnaires of SCD, depression, and anxiety. PA changes were determined with a question. Results: 60% of participants reported decreased PA. Those who reduced their PA were more likely to be from low to middle income and younger. PA increase was related to less SCD and depressive symptoms compared to those who decreased it. Participants who maintained their PA had fewer SCD concerns, depressive, and anxiety symptoms than those who decreased it. Discussion: Reducing PA was associated with worse neuropsychiatric and cognitive symptoms. Encouraging older adults to increase PA may help mitigate some of the pandemic’s adverse effects on psychological well-being.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/07334648241271975?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/07334648241271975/) Physical Activity and Neurocognitive Symptoms in Older Adults During COVID-19 Pandemic was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/07334648241278210/) Experience of Being Fall-Prone and Participating in Research: Fallers’ Perspectives
Sep 5th 2024, 12:06

Journal of Applied Gerontology, Ahead of Print. The importance of giving a voice to groups considered hard-to-reach for research purposes is becoming increasingly apparent, with insights into their experience having the potential to improve research participation. Fall-prone older adults are a cohort underrepresented in research, often excluded in large-scale research and considered difficult to recruit. This study aims to explore older fallers’ experiences of being fall-prone and participating in research. Seven older fallers (4 males, aged 69–88) participated in semi-structured telephone interviews following participation in an experimental research project. Interviews explored participants’ personal experience of being fall-prone and participating in research. The resulting data was analyzed using thematic analysis. Three primary themes emerged: “Research through the eyes of older fallers”, “Living with falls”, and “It’s all in the mind is it?”. Our study gives voice to older fallers who have recently participated in experimental research to learn of their personal views on research participation.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/07334648241278210?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/07334648241278210/) Experience of Being Fall-Prone and Participating in Research: Fallers’ Perspectives was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10534512241274283/) The Technological Past Informs the Present: A Conversation with Dr. Cynthia M. Okolo
Sep 5th 2024, 12:06

Intervention in School and Clinic, Ahead of Print. Dr. Cindy Okolo is a professor emerita in the Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology, and Special Education at Michigan State University. Throughout her career, Dr. Okolo’s scholarship has focused on the academic and behavioral outcomes of students with disabilities through the implementation of technology in the classroom. Her work has involved the development and use of digital literacy tools, the development and implementation of virtual learning tools for teaching history and social studies, the exploration of universal design for learning (UDL), and the preparation of teachers to become technology leaders in education. Dr. Okolo’s research revolves around students with disabilities in middle school, particularly inclusive classrooms that include children and youth with and without disabilities.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10534512241274283?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10534512241274283/) The Technological Past Informs the Present: A Conversation with Dr. Cynthia M. Okolo was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08982643241280529/) Unveiling the mechanism(s) Between Poverty, Deprivation, and Depression in Older Indian Adults: Findings From a Nationwide Survey
Sep 5th 2024, 12:06

Journal of Aging and Health, Ahead of Print. Objective: This study tries to investigate the association between two measures of poverty (subjective poverty and material deprivation) with depression and its underlying mechanism(s). Method: A total sample of 28,723 older adults aged 60 years and above was included from the Longitudinal Aging Study in India. Multivariable logistic regression models were used to estimate the association between poverty measures and depression after adjustment of control variables. The Karlson–Holm–Breen (KHB) method was used for mediation analysis to assess the indirect effect of functional, behavioral, and psycho-social factors between poverty measures and depression. Results: The findings suggested that “subjective poverty” has a significantly stronger impact on depression in comparison to material deprivation. Further, functional and psycho-social factors have significantly mediated the relationship between subjective poverty, material deprivation, and depression but are not favorable for behavioral components. Discussion: We believe that policymakers should reconsider the mental health aspects of poverty to promote healthy aging in India.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/08982643241280529?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08982643241280529/) Unveiling the mechanism(s) Between Poverty, Deprivation, and Depression in Older Indian Adults: Findings From a Nationwide Survey was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08982643241276270/) Community-Based Residential Relocation in Middle and Older Age: A United States–China Comparison Study on Its Predictors and Associated Mortality Risk
Sep 5th 2024, 12:05

Journal of Aging and Health, Ahead of Print. ObjectivesThis study compared the United States and China in examining the predictors of community-based residential relocation and its associated mortality risk.MethodsData from the 2010 to 2018 US Health and Retirement Study and from 2011 to 2018 China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study were used (NUS = 20,292 and NChina = 11,694). Community-dwelling respondents (aged 50+) reported whether they had relocated and were followed up until 2018. Log-binomial regression and Cox survival analysis were used.ResultsIn both countries, younger age, higher education, urban residence, and being a renter were associated with higher likelihood of relocation. Community-based relocation was associated with a lower mortality risk (US: HR = 0.63, 95% CI = 0.57, 0.70; China: HR = 0.40, 95% CI = 0.31, 0.50), and this association was significantly stronger in China compared to the United States.DiscussionCommon predictors of community-based relocation were found in the United States and China. The relocation-related survival advantages may be attributed to a better post-move adaptation and living environment.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/08982643241276270?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08982643241276270/) Community-Based Residential Relocation in Middle and Older Age: A United States–China Comparison Study on Its Predictors and Associated Mortality Risk was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08982643241273197/) Grandparenting and Physical Activity
Sep 5th 2024, 12:05

Journal of Aging and Health, Ahead of Print. Objective: The aim of this study was to examine a continuum of grandparenting intensity and its association with physical activity using three perspectives: grandparents are active, the more constraints perspective, and the selection bias perspective. Method: We use 2014 data from the Health and Retirement Study (HRS), a nationally-representative panel study of the US population over the age of 50 and their spouses (n = 17,851). Results: We found that greater grandparenting intensity was inversely associated with physical activity, providing support for both the more constraints perspective and the selection bias perspective. Discussion: We discuss the implications of inequality in which the most advantaged with physical activity are those who were either not grandparents, or grandparents who provided less care.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/08982643241273197?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08982643241273197/) Grandparenting and Physical Activity was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00031224241268059/) Estimating the Effect of a Universal Cash Transfer on Birth Outcomes
Sep 5th 2024, 12:05

American Sociological Review, Ahead of Print. Babies in the United States fare worse than their peers in other high-income countries, and their well-being is starkly unequal along socioeconomic and racialized lines. Newborn health predicts adult well-being, making these inequalities consequential. Policymakers and scholars seeking to improve newborn health and reduce inequality have recently looked to direct cash transfers as a viable intervention. We examine the only unconditional cash transfer in the United States, the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD), to learn if giving pregnant people money improves their newborns’ health. Alaska has paid its residents a significant dividend annually since 1982. The dividend’s size varies yearly and is exogenous to Alaskans and the local economy, permitting us to make causal claims. After accounting for fertility selection, we find that receiving cash during pregnancy has no meaningful effect on newborn health. Current theory focuses on purchasing power and status mechanisms to delineate how money translates into health. It cannot illuminate this null finding. This case illustrates a weakness with current theory: it does not provide clear expectations for interventions. We propose four components that must be considered in tandem to predict whether proposed interventions will work.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00031224241268059?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00031224241268059/) Estimating the Effect of a Universal Cash Transfer on Birth Outcomes was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00031224241268201/) How Work Becomes Invisible: The Erosion of the Wage Floor for Workers with Disabilities
Sep 5th 2024, 12:05

American Sociological Review, Ahead of Print. How does work come to be constructed as a service to the worker? In the United States, the payment of subminimum wages to disabled workers has been legal since 1938 and was entrenched by 1986 legislation eliminating the previously mandated floor of 50 percent of the minimum wage. This article draws on primary historical materials to explain the passage of these amendments, which I analyze as a case of delaborization, a process through which work is mystified as such and reclassified as something else (e.g., service). I find that the managers of segregated workshops for disabled manual laborers rose to control disability employment policy in the aftermath of deinstitutionalization. Professionals mobilized disability stigma to frame the subminimum wage as a social welfare issue subject to their expertise and to lobby successfully for its entrenchment. Weaknesses in the disability–labor coalition enabled this seizure of jurisdiction. This research illuminates professional expertise, the withdrawal of labor unions, and identity-based stigma as major mechanisms driving delaborization, an important contemporary influence on the organization of work. The case of the subminimum wage thus develops sociological literatures on labor, disability, and politics.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00031224241268201?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00031224241268201/) How Work Becomes Invisible: The Erosion of the Wage Floor for Workers with Disabilities was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed