Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Thu May 30 13:00:48 PDT 2024

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/medicaid-managed-care-plans-prior-authorization-decisions-for-children-need-additional-oversight/) Medicaid: Managed Care Plans’ Prior Authorization Decisions for Children Need Additional Oversight
May 30th 2024, 12:52

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/medicaid-managed-care-plans-prior-authorization-decisions-for-children-need-additional-oversight/) Medicaid: Managed Care Plans’ Prior Authorization Decisions for Children Need Additional Oversight was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/monographs-edited-collections/the-black-phd-experience-stories-of-strength-courage-and-wisdom-in-uk-academia/) The Black PhD Experience: Stories of Strength, Courage and Wisdom in UK Academia
May 30th 2024, 12:24

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/monographs-edited-collections/the-black-phd-experience-stories-of-strength-courage-and-wisdom-in-uk-academia/) The Black PhD Experience: Stories of Strength, Courage and Wisdom in UK Academia was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/0193841x241246833/) Conditioning on the Pre-Test versus Gain Score Modelling: Revisiting the Controversy in a Multilevel Setting
May 30th 2024, 12:02

Evaluation Review, Ahead of Print. We consider estimating the effect of a treatment on a given outcome measured on subjects tested both before and after treatment assignment in observational studies. A vast literature compares the competing approaches of modelling the post-test score conditionally on the pre-test score versus modelling the difference, namely, the gain score. Our contribution lies in analyzing the merits and drawbacks of two approaches in a multilevel setting. This is relevant in many fields, such as education, where students are nested within schools. The multilevel structure raises peculiar issues related to contextual effects and the distinction between individual-level and cluster-level treatments. We compare the two approaches through a simulation study. For individual-level treatments, our findings align with existing literature. However, for cluster-level treatments, the scenario is more complex, as the cluster mean of the pre-test score plays a key role. Its reliability crucially depends on the cluster size, leading to potentially unsatisfactory estimators with small clusters.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0193841X241246833?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/0193841x241246833/) Conditioning on the Pre-Test versus Gain Score Modelling: Revisiting the Controversy in a Multilevel Setting was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/s12888-024-05810-3/) Clinical distinctions in symptomatology and psychiatric comorbidities between misdiagnosed bipolar I and bipolar II disorder versus major depressive disorder
May 30th 2024, 11:29

Abstract

Background
To explore the demographic and clinical features of current depressive episode that discriminate patients diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD) from those with bipolar I (BP-I) and bipolar II (BP-II) disorder who were misdiagnosed as having MDD .

Methods
The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI) assessment was performed to establish DSM-IV diagnoses of MDD, and BP-I and BP-II, previously being misdiagnosed as MDD. Demographics, depressive symptoms and psychiatric comorbidities were compared between 1463 patients with BP-I, BP-II and MDD from 8 psychiatric settings in mainland China. A multinomial logistic regression model was performed to assess clinical correlates of diagnoses.

Results
A total of 14.5% of the enrolled patients initially diagnosed with MDD were eventually diagnosed with BP. Broad illness characteristics including younger age, higher prevalence of recurrence, concurrent dysthymia, suicidal attempts, agitation, psychotic features and psychiatric comorbidities, as well as lower prevalence of insomnia, weight loss and somatic symptoms were featured by patients with BP-I and/or BP-I, compared to those with MDD. Comparisons between BP-I and BP-II versus MDD indicated distinct symptom profiles and comorbidity patterns with more differences being observed between BP-II and MDD, than between BP-I and MDD .

Conclusion
The results provide evidence of clinically distinguishing characteristics between misdiagnosed BP-I and BP- II versus MDD. The findings have implications for guiding more accurate diagnoses of bipolar disorders.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12888-024-05810-3?error=cookies_not_supported&code=72257279-1e32-4092-8658-c0264d2a7559) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/s12888-024-05810-3/) Clinical distinctions in symptomatology and psychiatric comorbidities between misdiagnosed bipolar I and bipolar II disorder versus major depressive disorder was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00491241241234871/) How Valid Are Trust Survey Measures? New Insights From Open-Ended Probing Data  and Supervised Machine Learning
May 30th 2024, 11:22

Sociological Methods &Research, Ahead of Print. Trust is a foundational concept of contemporary sociological theory. Still, empirical research on trust relies on a relatively small set of measures. These are increasingly debated, potentially undermining large swathes of empirical evidence. Drawing on a combination of open-ended probing data, supervised machine learning, and a U.S. representative quota sample, our study compares the validity of standard measures of generalized social trust with more recent, situation-specific measures of trust. We find that survey measures that refer to “strangers” in their question wording best reflect the concept of generalized trust, also known as trust in unknown others. While situation-specific measures should have the desirable property of further reducing variation in associations, that is, producing more similar frames of reference across respondents, they also seem to increase associations with known others, which is undesirable. In addition, we explore to what extent trust survey questions may evoke negative associations. We find that there is indeed variation across measures, which calls for more research.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00491241241234871?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00491241241234871/) How Valid Are Trust Survey Measures? New Insights From Open-Ended Probing Data  and Supervised Machine Learning was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/podcasts/look-whos-talking-social-work-podcasts-as-continuing-professional-development-in-england/) Look who’s talking: Social work podcasts as continuing professional development in England
May 30th 2024, 11:16

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/podcasts/look-whos-talking-social-work-podcasts-as-continuing-professional-development-in-england/) Look who’s talking: Social work podcasts as continuing professional development in England was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02724316241249488/) Substance Use Patterns among Early Adolescents in an Urban Community: Associations with Risk and Promotive Factors
May 30th 2024, 11:03

The Journal of Early Adolescence, Ahead of Print. Polysubstance use is related to elevated risk for adverse outcomes but remains understudied among early adolescents. This study focused on a cross-sectional (N = 1568) primarily Black (79%) sample of eighth grade students living in urban communities (Mean age = 13.8, SD = .68) to identify subgroups based on adolescents’ reports of lifetime and past 30-day substance use. It also examined subgroup differences in individual, peer, caregiver, and community risk and promotive factors. Latent class analysis identified four subgroups: Non-use (73.7%), Alcohol Use (5.8%), Lifetime Use (13.2%), and Polysubstance Use (7.2%). There were no sex differences in subgroup membership when accounting for differential item functioning. The polysubstance use subgroup reported the highest levels of risk (e.g., delinquency) and lowest levels of promotive factors (e.g., caregiver knowledge). Findings inform our understanding of polysubstance use patterns during early adolescence within a primarily Black urban sample and suggest implications for future research.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/02724316241249488?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02724316241249488/) Substance Use Patterns among Early Adolescents in an Urban Community: Associations with Risk and Promotive Factors was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/home-projects-and-reports-youth-protests-and-the-polycrisis-report-youth-protests-and-the-polycrisis-exploring-how-youth-protests-can-help-to-build-public-support-for-change/) Home Projects and reports Youth, Protests and the Polycrisis: Report Youth, Protests and the Polycrisis Exploring how youth protests can help to build public support for change
May 30th 2024, 10:49

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/home-projects-and-reports-youth-protests-and-the-polycrisis-report-youth-protests-and-the-polycrisis-exploring-how-youth-protests-can-help-to-build-public-support-for-change/) Home Projects and reports Youth, Protests and the Polycrisis: Report Youth, Protests and the Polycrisis Exploring how youth protests can help to build public support for change was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/efficacy-of-neuromobilization-in-the-treatment-of-low-back-pain-systematic-review-and-meta-analysis/) Efficacy of neuromobilization in the treatment of low back pain: Systematic review and meta-analysis
May 30th 2024, 10:44

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/efficacy-of-neuromobilization-in-the-treatment-of-low-back-pain-systematic-review-and-meta-analysis/) Efficacy of neuromobilization in the treatment of low back pain: Systematic review and meta-analysis was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/guidelines-plus/get-active-together-social-support-can-help-keep-you-moving/) Get Active Together: Social Support Can Help Keep You Moving
May 30th 2024, 10:17

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/guidelines-plus/get-active-together-social-support-can-help-keep-you-moving/) Get Active Together: Social Support Can Help Keep You Moving was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00111287241249741/) Social Context and Early Disposition Departures: An Examination of Disparity in Immigration Sentencing Across U.S. District Courts
May 30th 2024, 09:59

Crime &Delinquency, Ahead of Print. In the 1990s, the United States Attorneys’ Offices implemented programs to make sentencing for immigration offenses more efficient by designating a number of “Fast-Track” districts. In 2012, these programs were expanded to all federal districts. Using data from multiple sources including federal sentencing data from 2015 to 2016 and community-level variables from the American Community Survey, this study examines how individual and district-level characteristics affect receipt and magnitude of early disposition departures. Findings suggest Hispanic population, Republican Control, and original fast-track district predict early disposition departure receipt and sentence length. District-level characteristics can influence when and how these departures are used.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00111287241249741?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00111287241249741/) Social Context and Early Disposition Departures: An Examination of Disparity in Immigration Sentencing Across U.S. District Courts was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/new-york-lawmakers-reject-state-bailout-for-child-welfare-agencies-facing-abuse-lawsuits/) New York Lawmakers Reject State Bailout for Child Welfare Agencies Facing Abuse Lawsuits
May 30th 2024, 09:56

The final approved budget does not include the $200 million sought as payouts for legal settlements, frustrating survivors and the agencies that once served them.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/new-york-lawmakers-reject-state-bailout-for-child-welfare-agencies-facing-abuse-lawsuits/) New York Lawmakers Reject State Bailout for Child Welfare Agencies Facing Abuse Lawsuits was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/video/bernie-the-podcast-episode-6-rep-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/) Bernie: The Podcast | Episode 6 – Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
May 30th 2024, 09:09

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/video/bernie-the-podcast-episode-6-rep-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/) Bernie: The Podcast | Episode 6 – Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00111287241248104/) Procedural Justice Spill-Over and Recidivism After Release From Prison
May 30th 2024, 08:59

Crime &Delinquency, Ahead of Print. The importance of procedural justice for reducing criminal behavior has been demonstrated in numerous criminal justice contexts. However, to date, no study has evaluated the impact of procedural justice in encounters with multiple authorities on recidivism. Using longitudinal data from the Prison Project, this study examines the associations between perceptions of prison staff procedural justice, probation officer procedural justice, and recidivism during a 12-month follow-up period. Findings indicate that detainees who felt treated fairly by prison staff, perceived their probation officer to be fairer, and, subsequently, they had a lower likelihood of getting reconvicted. How prison staff are perceived by people in prison may impact those people’s perceptions of their probation officers which in turn may affect their offending behavior.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00111287241248104?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00111287241248104/) Procedural Justice Spill-Over and Recidivism After Release From Prison was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00016993241246212/) Her class and his class: Does social class matter for fertility?
May 30th 2024, 08:03

Acta Sociologica, Ahead of Print. This work explores the association between fertility behaviour and occupational social classes, over and above educational and income resources. We use European Union Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC) data, pooling the longitudinal component for fourteen countries between 2005 and 2017. We compare the effect of the female partner’s social class with that of the male partner on the likelihood of having a child, distinguishing between the effect on the first and the second child. We find consistent evidence that, vis-à-vis income and education, occupational social class does play an additional role in fertility behaviour. However, it does so differently depending on the sex of the partner and the different parities considered. Our findings indicate that when her partner is employed, the occupational social class she belongs to becomes a more significant factor and plays a pivotal role in influencing fertility behaviour.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00016993241246212?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00016993241246212/) Her class and his class: Does social class matter for fertility? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/debating-the-best-way-to-fix-social-security/) Debating the Best Way to Fix Social Security
May 30th 2024, 07:39

Re “Want to Fix Social Security? The Well-Off Must Accept Smaller Checks,” by Peter Coy (Opinion, nytimes.com, May 13)
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/debating-the-best-way-to-fix-social-security/) Debating the Best Way to Fix Social Security was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00111287241249738/) Strain, Anger, and Prison Misconduct: Examining the Impact of Unfair Wages, Broken Social Ties, and Dehumanization
May 30th 2024, 07:29

Crime &Delinquency, Ahead of Print. Using the theoretical framework of General Strain Theory, this study examines how each of Agnew’s categorizations of strain are associated with people in prison’s anger and self-reported charges for misconduct. The strains explored include dehumanization (negative stimuli), loss of social ties (removal of positive stimuli), and unfair pay for labor (unjust outcomes). Surveys of 3,531 men and women incarcerated in five different facilities were examined. Each strain is significantly and positively associated with anger. Anger is significantly and positively associated with misconduct. Dehumanization and loss of social ties are significantly and indirectly associated with misconduct through anger in the theoretically expected direction. In sum, strains may foment anger among people in prison resulting in rule breaking.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00111287241249738?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00111287241249738/) Strain, Anger, and Prison Misconduct: Examining the Impact of Unfair Wages, Broken Social Ties, and Dehumanization was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02610183241240381/) Hewers of wood and drawers of water: English subaltern education from the charity schools to the neoliberal meritocracy of widening participation
May 30th 2024, 06:34

Critical Social Policy, Ahead of Print. British educational ideas and policies towards working-class and minority youth show continuous preoccupations with social status and preparation for labour. In examining this, we link educational discourses and practices in England from the Charity Schools to the contemporary higher education policy Widening Participation (WP). We argue that WP is heir to successive educational programmes that explicitly fit poor and marginalised youth to labour and, contrary to its asserted aims, legitimates social and economic hierarchies. Using major government reports, promotional narratives and data on university expansion and tuition fees, we argue that the ‘disadvantaged student’ in WP is a currency for higher education institutions and student debt is the price of a ticket to ‘success’ within an imagined neoliberal meritocracy. The novelty is that whereas in the past, the costs of subaltern education were covered by philanthropy, today’s ‘disadvantaged students’ indebt themselves to maintain their positions in society.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/02610183241240381?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02610183241240381/) Hewers of wood and drawers of water: English subaltern education from the charity schools to the neoliberal meritocracy of widening participation was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/s12905-024-03109-9/) Psychological impact and associated factors of the COVID-19 pandemic among pregnant women in Fafan Zone health institutions, Somali Region, Eastern Ethiopia, 2021
May 30th 2024, 06:27

Despite pregnant women’s vulnerability to respiratory illnesses and pregnancy complications during the COVID-19 pandemic, research on its psychological impact in the study area, is limited.
(https://bmcwomenshealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12905-024-03109-9) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/s12905-024-03109-9/) Psychological impact and associated factors of the COVID-19 pandemic among pregnant women in Fafan Zone health institutions, Somali Region, Eastern Ethiopia, 2021 was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/unlawful-employment-of-third-country-nationals-in-austria/) Unlawful employment of third-country nationals in Austria
May 30th 2024, 05:23

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/unlawful-employment-of-third-country-nationals-in-austria/) Unlawful employment of third-country nationals in Austria was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02610183241240379/) Housing and temporary legality: The evictability and settlement of refugees in Swedish municipalities
May 30th 2024, 05:06

Critical Social Policy, Ahead of Print. This article explores four Swedish municipalities which have reacted differently to legislation aiming to regulate a ‘fair and equal’ distribution of refugees: from barefaced rejection to the advocacy of refugee settlement as an investment in future citizens. Interviews with people who work with settlement show that housing is made central in different municipal strategies and creates an unequal landscape of evictability for refugees depending on where they are placed. Temporary and conditional residence permits for refugees, which have been made standard in this time of temporary legality, are simultaneously dependent on settlement strategies in municipalities: housing and access to jobs determine whether you can stay or stay with your family. This deportability of refugees is what is at stake. Yet access to housing is continuously treated as a mundane ‘service’: both in the categorical denial of housing and in the evaluation of what can qualify refugees to deserve settlement.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/02610183241240379?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02610183241240379/) Housing and temporary legality: The evictability and settlement of refugees in Swedish municipalities was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/a-multilevel-analysis-of-the-determinants-of-hiv-testing-among-men-in-sub-saharan-africa-evidence-from-demographic-and-health-surveys-across-10-african-countries/) A multilevel analysis of the determinants of HIV testing among men in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Demographic and Health Surveys across 10 African countries
May 30th 2024, 04:49

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/a-multilevel-analysis-of-the-determinants-of-hiv-testing-among-men-in-sub-saharan-africa-evidence-from-demographic-and-health-surveys-across-10-african-countries/) A multilevel analysis of the determinants of HIV testing among men in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Demographic and Health Surveys across 10 African countries was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/heather-humphreys-opposed-covid-19-designation-for-social-welfare-purposes/) Heather Humphreys opposed Covid-19 designation for social welfare purposes
May 30th 2024, 04:08

Minister for Social Protection Heather Humphreys said that given widespread community transmission of Covid-19 it was ‘unclear’ to her how it could be proven ‘with reasonable certainty’ whether a person had got sick in work or not.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/heather-humphreys-opposed-covid-19-designation-for-social-welfare-purposes/) Heather Humphreys opposed Covid-19 designation for social welfare purposes was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/0193841x241246826/) Empowering Expecting Women to Obtain High-Quality Healthcare in Pakistan: An Evaluation of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Conditional Cash Transfer Program
May 30th 2024, 04:02

Evaluation Review, Ahead of Print. Maternal mortality, largely stemming from complications during pregnancy and childbirth, impacts poor expecting women with limited healthcare access in rural Pakistan. Conditional Cash Transfers (CCTs), commonly implemented in developing nations, are designed to improve the well-being of vulnerable populations by focusing on health and education. A CCT initiative named Chief Minister’s Special Initiative for Mother and Child Health (CM-SIMCH) was launched in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP), one of the less-developed provinces of Pakistan, to empower expecting women to access quality healthcare. This study investigates the factors influencing CM-SIMCH program participation and assesses its impact on the health of expecting women by analyzing health-seeking hospital visits in KP, Pakistan. The study utilizes the Propensity Score Matching (PSM) technique to analyze cross-sectional data obtained from 303 expecting women residing in the Nowshera district of KP. The PSM allows for a balanced comparison of participants who received the CM-SIMCH transfers with those who did not, assessing its impact on maternal healthcare access and outcomes. Empirical results show that factors such as education and family system positively influence the participation of expecting women in the CM-SIMCH program, whereas travel costs exert a negative effect. The intervention leads to a notable increase in hospital visits among these women, contributing to improved health outcomes in KP. This underscores the program’s potential effectiveness in addressing maternal healthcare challenges and enhancing healthcare access for vulnerable women in less-developed areas. Therefore, empirical evidence supports the CM-SIMCH program’s potential to promote maternal health and improve healthcare access in KP. The study recommends government intervention in health sector as a strategic imperative to empower women and enhance infant health.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0193841X241246826?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/0193841x241246826/) Empowering Expecting Women to Obtain High-Quality Healthcare in Pakistan: An Evaluation of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Conditional Cash Transfer Program was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/14680181241246771/) Financial inclusion and the contested infrastructures of cash transfer payments in South Africa
May 30th 2024, 03:33

Global Social Policy, Ahead of Print. Across much of the South, digital technologies are increasingly central to the expansion of state social protection systems. Supported by major development agencies, many of these distributive technologies are developed and implemented by financial technology companies with the specific aim of accelerating financial inclusion. While researchers have documented the influence of these financial actors and logics over social policy, we know less about how these interventions are transforming the experience of receiving social protection. Based on qualitative and observational research with social grant recipients in South Africa, this research demonstrates how digital and financial technologies produce confusion, informational opacities and new forms of exclusion among grant recipients. It suggests that the increasingly prominent role of financial technologies in the delivery of social protection undermines state capacity and further entrenches the influence of neoliberal logics over social policy. Finally, the article suggests that these technologies may be transforming the nature of social citizenship in South Africa, undermining efforts to advance universal and redistributive social protection policies.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/14680181241246771?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/14680181241246771/) Financial inclusion and the contested infrastructures of cash transfer payments in South Africa was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02654075241249172/) Do different sources of sexuality education contribute differently to sexual health and well-being outcomes? Examining sexuality education in Spain and Portugal
May 30th 2024, 03:28

Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Ahead of Print. Sexuality education (SE) can be acquired through different sources. In a cross-sectional online study with Spanish and Portuguese participants (N = 595), we examined differences between formal traditional sources (i.e., mandatory SE received in schools), formal modern sources (e.g., SE received in courses), informal traditional sources (e.g., talks with friends and family), and informal modern sources (e.g., pornography and online content) and their contribution to sexual health and well-being outcomes. Results showed that sexual and reproductive health were among the most addressed topics across all sources. Nearly all participants received SE from informal sources, whereas more than two-thirds received SE from formal traditional sources. Results of a linear regression model showed that participants who perceived more influence from formal traditional sources reported using condoms more often, were more focused on disease prevention, and enacted more sexual health communication, but were also less sex-positive. Participants who perceived more influence from both types of informal sources attributed more importance to SE topics but reported having condomless sex more frequently and were more focused on pleasure promotion. Still, participants who perceived more influence from informal traditional sources also endorsed more internal/external consent, were more sexually satisfied, were more sex-positive, and enacted more sexual health practices. Lastly, participants who perceived more influence from informal modern sources were also more likely to have been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection. Only a small proportion of participants received SE from formal modern sources and had to be excluded from this analysis. Some differences between Spain and Portugal are discussed. Taken together, our findings highlight the need to consider different sources for a more comprehensive and inclusive SE, in articulation with sociocultural and political contexts.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/02654075241249172?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02654075241249172/) Do different sources of sexuality education contribute differently to sexual health and well-being outcomes? Examining sexuality education in Spain and Portugal was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02724316241250062/) Parenting Practices and Children’s Cognitive Effort: A Laboratory Study
May 30th 2024, 03:03

The Journal of Early Adolescence, Ahead of Print. We examine the association between parenting practices (discipline and support) and children’s cognitive effort. Cognitive effort is hard to measure; hence, little is known about effort dispositions, and how parenting practices affect effort. We analyse data from 1,148 fifth-grade students from Berlin and Madrid (around 11 years of age). Cognitive effort is measured with tests of executive function, carried out under two reward schemes: an unincentivised and incentivised condition. We study two effort-related outcomes: “effort direction” – the child’s decision to voluntarily do a real-effort task – and “effort intensity” – the child’s performance on the task. In line with theoretical expectations, results indicate that both parental discipline and support are associated with effort direction when the moderating role of incentives is taken into account. However, only parental discipline is (weakly) associated with effort intensity. We conclude that parenting practices primarily influence deliberative rather than instinctual types of cognitive effort.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/02724316241250062?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02724316241250062/) Parenting Practices and Children’s Cognitive Effort: A Laboratory Study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/met0000489/) Causal effect analysis in nonrandomized data with latent variables and categorical indicators: The implementation and benefits of EffectLiteR.
May 30th 2024, 01:39

Psychological Methods, Vol 29(2), Apr 2024, 287-307; doi:10.1037/met0000489
Instead of using manifest proxies for a latent outcome or latent covariates in a causal effect analysis, the R package EffectLiteR facilitates a direct integration of latent variables based on structural equation models (SEM). The corresponding framework considers latent interactions and provides various effect estimates for evaluating the differential effectiveness of treatments. In addition, a user-friendly graphical interface customizes the implementation of the complex models. We aim to enable applications of EffectLiteR in more contexts, and therefore generalize the framework for incorporating latent variables measured with categorical indicators. This refers, for instance, to achievement tests in educational large-scale assessments (LSAs), which are typically constructed in the tradition of item response theory (IRT). We review different modeling strategies for incorporating latent variables from IRT models in an effect analysis (i.e., individual score estimates, plausible values, SEM for categorical indicators). The strategies differ in the handling of measurement error and, thus, have different implications for the accuracy and efficiency of causal effect estimates. We describe our extensions of EffectLiteR based on SEM for categorical indicators and illustrate the model specification step-by-step. In addition, we present a hands-on example, where we apply EffectLiteR in LSA data. The practical benefit of using latent variables in comparison to proficiency scores is of special interest in the application and discussion. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/met0000489) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/met0000489/) Causal effect analysis in nonrandomized data with latent variables and categorical indicators: The implementation and benefits of EffectLiteR. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s1740144524000500/) Are diverse models really non-idealized? Investigating body positivity public feed posts of fashion and beauty brands on instagram
May 30th 2024, 01:35

Publication date: September 2024
Source: Body Image, Volume 50
Author(s): Femke Konings, Ilse Vranken, Drew P. Cingel, Laura Vandenbosch, Orpha de Lenne
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1740144524000500?dgcid=rss_sd_all) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s1740144524000500/) Are diverse models really non-idealized? Investigating body positivity public feed posts of fashion and beauty brands on instagram was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s2212144724000474/) Remediating rigid rule-following in subclinical Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder using a brief mindfulness task: A case-control pilot study
May 30th 2024, 01:09

Publication date: Available online 25 April 2024
Source: Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science
Author(s): Athanasios Hassoulas, Phil Reed, Louise McHugh
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212144724000474?dgcid=rss_sd_all) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s2212144724000474/) Remediating rigid rule-following in subclinical Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder using a brief mindfulness task: A case-control pilot study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed