Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Sat May 18 13:00:29 PDT 2024

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/social-housing-can-work/) Social Housing Can Work
May 18th 2024, 15:52

California Assemblyman Alex Lee: I am one of five renters in the entire state legislature, and the youngest member of the legislature (twenty-eight). If the status quo persists, even at my current lifestyle and compensation, I can’t afford to buy a home or live comfortably in my own district. In San Jose right now, the average home price is around $1.65 million.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/social-housing-can-work/) Social Housing Can Work was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/infographics/few-hospitals-follow-recommended-practices-for-evidence-based-suicide-care/) Few Hospitals Follow Recommended Practices for Evidence-Based Suicide Care
May 18th 2024, 15:38

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/infographics/few-hospitals-follow-recommended-practices-for-evidence-based-suicide-care/) Few Hospitals Follow Recommended Practices for Evidence-Based Suicide Care was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/sister-mary-miller-ran-emmaus-soup-kitchen-for-42-years-how-erie-honored-her-service/) Sister Mary Miller ran Emmaus Soup Kitchen for 42 years. How Erie honored her service
May 18th 2024, 15:07

Emmaus Soup Kitchen first opened its doors in January 1974 at the former Immaculate ConceptionChurch on East 16th Street. It celebrated 50 years of service to Erie’s poor and vulnerable earlier this year.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/sister-mary-miller-ran-emmaus-soup-kitchen-for-42-years-how-erie-honored-her-service/) Sister Mary Miller ran Emmaus Soup Kitchen for 42 years. How Erie honored her service was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s00127-024-02680-8/) Prevalence of hazardous alcohol consumption and evaluation of associated factors in university students
May 18th 2024, 13:25

Abstract

Purpose
The aim of the study was to determine the prevalence of hazardous alcohol consumption (HAC) according to gender among university students and associated factors.

Methods
This is a cross-sectional study conducted on undergraduate students. We used a stratified sampling technique to represent 26036 students from all grade levels and 11 faculties, and the survey was administered to 2349 undergraduate students. The prevalence of HAC was determined with the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT). HAC was defined as getting 8 points or more from the AUDIT. Multivariate logistic regression analyses were performed to examine HAC related factors in both genders.

Results
In this study, 53.2% of the participants were male. The prevalence of HAC in the study group was 13.5% and prevalence of lifetime drinker was 65.3%. In males; those whose fathers [OR = 1.72; 95% CI: (1.17-2.52)], mothers [1.49; (1.02-2.18)], close friends [2.42; (1.28-4.60)] drink alcohol and smoking [3.16; (2.09- 4.77)], use illicit substance [2.35; (1.66-3.34)], have mental health problems [1.65; (1.04-2.62)] were more likely to report HAC. Meanwhile in females, those whose fathers [OR = 1.92; 95%CI: (1.03-3.57)], close friends [5.81; (1.73-19.45)] drink alcohol and smoking [4.33; (2.31-8.15)], use illicit substance [4.34; (2.34-8.06)] have mental health problems [3.01; (1.67-5.43)] were more likely to report HAC.

Conclusions
HAC prevalence is high among university students. The risk of HAC increases with the use of alcohol in family and circle of friends, smoking, illicit substance use and mental health problems. The factors associated with the risk of HAC in both genders are similar.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00127-024-02680-8) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s00127-024-02680-8/) Prevalence of hazardous alcohol consumption and evaluation of associated factors in university students was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s40615-023-01632-3/) Correlates of and Disparities in Cancellations or Delays of Prenatal Visits During the Covid-19 Pandemic: Emphasis on Racial/Ethnic Minorities and Persons with Low Socioeconomic Status
May 18th 2024, 13:24

Abstract

Objectives
To investigate barriers and disparities in prenatal visits across population subgroups.

Methods
This pooled cross-sectional study was conducted using Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System for 2020 through 2021. Women who reported their experiences of cancellation or delay in prenatal visits were included. A multivariable regression analysis estimated adjusted prevalence ratios (aPR) for cancellations or delays in prenatal care.

Results
Of a total of 11,427, one-third had cancelled or delayed care. Hispanics, compared to their white counterparts, were 22% likelier to have cancelled or delayed care. Women covered by Medicaid and those with depression had 17% and 34% greater likelihoods of cancellation or delay, respectively. Cancellations or delays were comparable for the years 2020 and 2021 across reasons, except for facility closures, which were more common in 2020 than in 2021. Hispanics tended to cancel or delay prenatal visits more often than whites for reasons, such as facility closures, COVID-19-related reasons, a lack of transportation, and loss of insurance, while transportation and insurance issues were greater barriers for blacks. Women with less than a high school diploma were more likely to report cancellations or delays due to transportation issues (aPR 2.86, 95%CI 1.47–5.57; p = 0.002) and loss of insurance (aPR 4.82, 95%CI 1.64–14.23; P = 0.004).

Conclusions
While a large proportion of women experienced disruptions in prenatal care, subsets of the population, including racial/ethnic minorities and the low socioeconomically disadvantaged, faced disproportionate challenges. The current findings provide practical implications for a tailored approach to reducing barriers and disparities in prenatal care.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40615-023-01632-3) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s40615-023-01632-3/) Correlates of and Disparities in Cancellations or Delays of Prenatal Visits During the Covid-19 Pandemic: Emphasis on Racial/Ethnic Minorities and Persons with Low Socioeconomic Status was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s40615-023-01651-0/) Food Intake, Source, and Planning and Shopping Behavior Differences Among Hispanic, White, Black, and Asian Females
May 18th 2024, 13:24

Abstract

Background
Abdominal obesity remains a high public health concern. Within the United States, there are noted disparities among different ethnic/racial groups in relation to obesity, especially for females.

Purpose
The purpose of this secondary analysis project was to examine the differences in nutritional intake, food sources, and meal planning and food shopping between Hispanic, White, Black, and Asian females by abdominal obesity level in the United States.

Methods
The 2017–2018 National Health Nutrition Examination data was used. Major variables included race/ethnicity, waist circumference (WC), nutritional intake, food source, and food shopping and meal planning behaviors. Descriptive statistics, correlational analyses, a series of two-way factorial analysis of variance, and odds ratio analyses were conducted to address research questions.

Findings
When comparing nutritional intake and food source by different racial/ethnic groups and abdominal obesity level, there were no interaction effects for all categories across groups. However, for the racial/ethnic main effects and obesity main effects, significant differences among groups were noted for nutritional intake and food source categories. There were no differences in food shopping and meal preparation between abdominal obesity and non-obese participants in each racial/ethnic group.

Conclusions
Similarities and differences were noted between racial/ethnic groups for nutritional intake and sources of food. However, no significant differences were noted between racial/ethnic groups for food shopping and meal preparation behaviors. More research should be done to confirm these findings and further understand food shopping and meal preparation behaviors.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40615-023-01651-0) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s40615-023-01651-0/) Food Intake, Source, and Planning and Shopping Behavior Differences Among Hispanic, White, Black, and Asian Females was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s40615-023-01609-2/) Differences in Anxiety Sensitivity Among Black and White Veterans
May 18th 2024, 13:24

Abstract
Black Americans are at greater risk for more severe and enduring consequences of anxiety disorders than White Americans, highlighting the need to identify malleable risk and maintenance factors. The current study aimed to examine racial differences in anxiety sensitivity and anxiety sensitivity facets between Black and White veterans (N = 285; 58% Black, 77% Male; Mage = 43.51, SD = 11.87) presenting to a PTSD specialty clinic at a Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital. In addition to a diagnostic interview, veterans were asked to complete a brief battery of self-report questionnaires to assist with diagnostic clarification and treatment planning. Results revealed a significant difference in anxiety sensitivity total scores between Black (M = 44.5, SD = 17.2) and White veterans (M = 36.1, SD = 17.7), such that Black veterans evinced higher levels. When examining anxiety sensitivity subfacets, Black veterans also evinced elevated levels of physical (M = 14.4, SD = 6.6) and cognitive concerns (M = 15.2, SD = 6.5) compared to White veterans (M = 9.8, SD = 6.2; M = 11.7, SD = 6.6, respectively). Results indicate that anxiety sensitivity is a relevant risk factor among Black veterans. Future studies should examine the extent to which anxiety sensitivity is modifiable in such populations.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40615-023-01609-2) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s40615-023-01609-2/) Differences in Anxiety Sensitivity Among Black and White Veterans was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s40615-023-01637-y/) Multilevel Analysis of Sociopolitical Contexts, Social Support, Mental Health, and Alcohol Use Among Partnered Sexual Minority Latino Men in the U.S.
May 18th 2024, 13:24

Abstract

Objective
The objective of this paper is to examine how state-level characteristics relate to social support and mental health outcomes among Latino sexual minority men in the U.S.

Methods
Multilevel linear regression analyses were used to estimate the effect of social support and contextual-level characteristics on mental health and alcohol use among Latino sexual minority men (n = 612). Individual-level data were collected via a national, online survey between November 2018 and May 2019. State-level data were drawn from the 2019 American Community Survey and the Human Rights Campaign’s 2018 State Equality Index score cards.

Results
The interaction between friend support and supportive LGBTQ+ policies was associated with anxiety (B = 1.77; 95% CI 0.69, 2.85; p = 0.001) and depression (B = 2.25; 95% CI 0.99, 3.50; p<0.001). The interaction between friend support and Latino population size was associated with greater problematic alcohol use (B = 0.06; 95% CI 0.03, 0.10; p<0.001). The interaction between partner support and supportive LGBTQ+ policies were also associated problematic drinking (B = −1.72; 95% CI −3.05, −0.38; p<0.012).

Conclusions
Contextual factors can affect the everyday experiences of Latino sexual minority men. The effect of social support on mental health outcomes may depend on state-level factors. Public health efforts that seek to address the mental health and problematic drinking behaviors of Latino sexual minority men must consider the impact of macro-level policies on program and intervention development.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40615-023-01637-y) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s40615-023-01637-y/) Multilevel Analysis of Sociopolitical Contexts, Social Support, Mental Health, and Alcohol Use Among Partnered Sexual Minority Latino Men in the U.S. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s12529-024-10294-2/) Psychosocial Predictors of Maintained Weight Loss in Women: Informing Behavioral Obesity Treatment Foci
May 18th 2024, 13:24

Abstract

Background
Behavioral obesity treatments are typically unable to facilitate meaningful weight loss beyond the short term. Implications of malleable psychosocial factors are unclear, which limits behavioral intervention contents. The current aim was to inform obesity treatments to improve their foci on psychosocial factors leading to resilient behavioral changes and maintained weight loss.

Method
Based on pre-planned analyses, women participating in a community-based obesity treatment emphasizing self-regulation and exercise, and who lost at least 3% of their initial weight (N = 89), were measured on eating-related self-efficacy, negative mood, emotional eating, body satisfaction, and self-regulating eating at baseline, Month 3, and Month 6; and on weight change over 12 months.

Results
>From baseline to Month 6, there was a significant overall improvement in each psychosocial variable. In separate multiple regression equations, scores at (1) Month 6, (2) change from baseline to Month 6, and (3) change from Month 3 to Month 6 were entered as predictors of maintained weight loss from Month 6 to Month 12. Using a backward elimination process, only negative mood was retained in the final Month 6 model, and significantly predicted maintained weight loss (R2adjusted = .03, p = .050). Changes in self-efficacy, mood, emotional eating, and self-regulation were retained in the final baseline to Month 6 model, and significantly predicted weight loss maintained over 12 months (R2adjusted = .30, p < .001).

Conclusion
Findings add to research on obesity treatment development by suggesting an enhanced focus on facilitating changes in self-efficacy, mood, emotional eating, and self-regulation may enhance maintenance of lost weight (or increase weight loss).

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12529-024-10294-2) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s12529-024-10294-2/) Psychosocial Predictors of Maintained Weight Loss in Women: Informing Behavioral Obesity Treatment Foci was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s12529-024-10286-2/) The Assessment of Social Isolation and Loneliness in Cancer Patients and Survivors in the Pre-COVID-19 Period: A Systematic Review
May 18th 2024, 13:24

Abstract

Background
In the context of cancer research, identifying social isolation and loneliness is a priority given how both exacerbate poor outcomes and lead to increased mortality in oncological populations. The purpose of this systematic review is to identify all quantitative instruments that have been used to assess either social isolation or loneliness in patients previously or currently diagnosed with cancer in the pre-COVID-19 period.

Method
PubMed (Web), Scopus, CINAHL, and PsycINFO were searched on August 22, 2019. All databases were searched from inception with no filters applied. The search strategies included terms that captured the following concepts: instruments/tools, social isolation or loneliness, and cancer.

Results
A total of 289 titles/abstracts were returned. Upon review, 114 titles/abstracts were deemed to be potentially eligible and the full text was retrieved. Of the 114 full texts, 69 articles met inclusion criteria and comprised the final sample. Publications span years 1980 through 2019, with the majority (71%) occurring in the last decade prior to this review, between 2009 and 2019. Average age of the study samples, with few exceptions, was often over 50 years old. Many studies used all-female samples, while only one study used an all-male sample. The most common cancer diagnosis of participants was breast cancer. The most common measure was the UCLA Loneliness Scale, used in 22 studies. Most measures we identified were used only once, and 11 measures were used 2–3 times. When the information was given, response ranges were always Likert-type scales most often ranging from 1–4 or 1–5, and sometimes from 1–10 possible response options. In terms of psychometrics, test–retest reliability and validity were rarely reported; by contrast, internal consistency (Cronbach’s alpha) was reported more than half of the time (60.9%).

Conclusion
When selecting a measure to assess loneliness in cancer populations, the UCLA Loneliness Scale is both psychometrically strong and versatile across patients with different cancers, ages, and racial backgrounds. When selecting a measure to assess social isolation in cancer populations, both the PROMIS-SF V 2.0 social isolation and the Berkman-Syme Network Index are brief and have been used in patients with non-White racial backgrounds.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12529-024-10286-2) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s12529-024-10286-2/) The Assessment of Social Isolation and Loneliness in Cancer Patients and Survivors in the Pre-COVID-19 Period: A Systematic Review was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s12529-024-10287-1/) Sex and Psychosocial Differences in Acute Stress Symptoms Prior to Open-Heart Surgery
May 18th 2024, 13:24

Abstract

Background
Acute stress symptoms can occur while cardiac patients await open-heart surgery (OHS). The distress leads to poor outcomes. This study aimed to investigate the association of sex and psychosocial factors (quality-of-life and character strengths).

Method
Our study cohort included 481 pre-OHS patients (female 42%; mean age 62 years). Medical indices/factors were obtained from the Society of Thoracic Surgeon’s national database. Multiple regression analyses were performed following pre-planned steps and adjusting medical factors.

Results
Our findings revealed that sex differences in trauma-related symptoms were associated with poor mental well-being, alongside comorbidities. Both mental well-being and comorbidity factors were directly related to acute stress symptoms, while dispositional optimism had an inverse association with this outcome.

Conclusion
To improve OHS outcomes, our findings suggest healthcare providers be attentive to pre-OHS acute stress symptoms, pay greater attention to the emotional well-being of their female patients, and develop supportive interventions to enhance personality strengths.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12529-024-10287-1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s12529-024-10287-1/) Sex and Psychosocial Differences in Acute Stress Symptoms Prior to Open-Heart Surgery was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s12529-024-10285-3/) An Age-Progression Intervention for Smoking Cessation: A Pilot Study Investigating the Influence of Two Sets of Instructions on Intervention Efficacy
May 18th 2024, 13:23

Abstract

Background
Research on age-progression facial morphing interventions for smoking cessation has not investigated the effect of different instructions for intervention delivery. The objective of this pilot study was to investigate the influence of two instruction types used to deliver the intervention on efficacy of the intervention.

Method
Women were recruited and randomly allocated to an age-progression intervention session with (i) neutral instructions; (ii) instructions designed to reassure; or (iii) a condition that controlled for participant engagement (“control”). The conditions were delivered in a one-time procedure, after which primary (quitting intentions) and secondary (cigarettes/week, quit attempts) outcomes were measured immediately post-intervention, and at 1 and 3 months.

Results
Seventy-two women (M = 25.7; SD = 0.9) were recruited and randomly allocated to condition (Neutral n = 27, Reassuring n = 22, Control n = 23). Quitting intentions were higher in the Reassuring versus Control arm (3 months post-intervention, F = 4.37, p = 0.016, 95% CI [0.231, 2.539], eta2 = 0.11); quit attempts were greater in the two intervention arms (58%) versus Control (1-month post-intervention, 15%) (χ2 = 9.83, p < 0.05, OR 1.00 [0.28, 3.63]).

Conclusions
Findings highlight the importance of optimising instructions to enhance intervention efficacy.

Trial Registration
clinicaltrials.gov Record: NCT03749382.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12529-024-10285-3) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s12529-024-10285-3/) An Age-Progression Intervention for Smoking Cessation: A Pilot Study Investigating the Influence of Two Sets of Instructions on Intervention Efficacy was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s11162-024-09794-7/) Does Gender Composition in a Field of Study Matter? Gender Disparities in College Students’ Academic Self-Concepts
May 18th 2024, 13:23

Abstract
Gendered field-of-study choice is a lively topic of discussion. The explanation usually given for the fact that women are still an exception in typically ‘male’ fields—particularly STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)—employs domain-specific stereotypes regarding men’s and women’s ‘natural’ abilities in different fields. The central argument of our study is that domain-specific gender stereotypes help explain why few women enter such fields; however, they are not necessarily the driving forces behind the finding that female students who chose typically male subjects have weaker academic self-concepts than their male peers. If it were only domain-specific gender stereotypes that influence students’ perceptions of their abilities, we should find the opposite result in typically female fields of study and no differences in gender-mixed fields. Because existing studies often focus on the male-dominated STEM domain alone, research may have drawn the wrong conclusions. By comparing students in male-dominated, female-dominated, and gender-mixed fields of study, we ask: Does gender composition in the field of study matter for gender disparities in college (university) students’ academic self-concepts? Using data from 10,425 students in the German National Educational Panel Study, our results suggest that it is not only in male-dominated fields of study that women rate their own abilities to be poorer than men rate theirs; the same is true in female-dominated and gender-mixed fields. Therefore, domain-specific gender stereotypes regarding students’ abilities do not (alone) seem to drive gender disparities in STEM students’ perception of their own abilities. No matter what academic field we consider, female students generally exhibit weaker academic self-concepts; however, the gap is most pronounced in male-dominated fields.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11162-024-09794-7) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s11162-024-09794-7/) Does Gender Composition in a Field of Study Matter? Gender Disparities in College Students’ Academic Self-Concepts was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s11162-024-09782-x/) A Proposed Typology of Regional Public Universities
May 18th 2024, 13:23

Abstract
Regional Public Universities (RPUs) advance public good missions to foster postsecondary access, student-centeredness, and regional wellbeing. Despite the important contributions that RPUs make to their regions and students, scholars and the media often view the sector as amorphous and undistinguished, or they define RPUs by what they are not (e.g., elite, selective, community colleges, etc.). This sequential mixed methods research study grounded in organizational ecology theory and involving content analysis and cluster analysis proposes a typology of RPUs. Specifically, five RPU types are proposed: accessible, midsized master’s-degree granting RPUs; regionally focused Historically Black Colleges and Universities; rural-serving and CUNY RPUs; large, urban regional-serving RPUs; and Puerto Rican Hispanic-serving RPUs. This study significantly advances conceptual understanding about RPUs by disrupting deficit-based understandings about the sector being shapeless and amorphous by showing that the sector contains distinct institutional types that represent unique approaches to fulfilling the RPU public good mission. This typology is also among the first to document the institutional diversity of RPUs.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11162-024-09782-x) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s11162-024-09782-x/) A Proposed Typology of Regional Public Universities was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s11162-024-09797-4/) Insufficient Academic Experience or Excessive Family Responsibility: Why do Female Faculty in Chinese Research Universities Publish Less than Male Faculty?
May 18th 2024, 13:23

Abstract
This investigation explores gender differences in faculty research productivity in Chinese research-oriented universities. Based on human capital theory and a work-family conflict research framework, this investigation identifies potential variables that influence faculty research productivity. These variables include academic experience, family responsibility, and work-family conflict. Drawing on a representative sample of faculty at the early academic career stage (N = 1013) from China’s research universities, this investigation finds a significant gender gap in faculty research productivity. Male faculty have significantly higher research productivity than female faculty. Compared to family-related variables, academic experience-related variables such as research time investment, hosting of national-level research projects, and research collaboration within and outside of a university can positively predict research productivity. Work-family conflict negatively influences faculty research productivity and plays a mediating role in the effects of academic experience variables on research productivity. The findings of this investigation advocate for gender equality policies in Chinese research universities in aid of female faculty. This investigation offers recommendations from the perspective of both female faculty and academic institutions.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11162-024-09797-4) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s11162-024-09797-4/) Insufficient Academic Experience or Excessive Family Responsibility: Why do Female Faculty in Chinese Research Universities Publish Less than Male Faculty? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s11162-024-09783-w/) The Private School Network: Recruiting Visits to Private High Schools by Public and Private Universities
May 18th 2024, 13:23

Abstract
Scholarship on nonresident enrollment by public research universities has developed in isolation from scholarship on linkages between private high schools and selective private universities. We argue that these literatures are part of a broader story about the competition for students from affluent schools and communities. This manuscript analyzes off-campus recruiting visits to private high schools made by a convenience sample of 15 public research universities and 14 selective private universities. An off-campus recruiting visit indicates a social relationship between a school and a university. Therefore, we utilize social network methods to examine the recruiting networks of public and private universities. With respect to scale (research question 1), universities in our sample made a disproportionate number of visits to private high schools. With respect to overlap (RQ2), simple network analyses and community detection methods reveal substantial overlap in the recruiting networks of public and private universities. RQ3 assesses the characteristics of visited schools. Both public and private universities tended to visit private schools in their home geographic region and also in the South, where private school enrollment growth has been strongest. Visited private schools enroll a much larger share of white students than visited public schools. Surprisingly, several public research universities visited sectarian private high schools at a rate similar to sectarian private universities.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11162-024-09783-w) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s11162-024-09783-w/) The Private School Network: Recruiting Visits to Private High Schools by Public and Private Universities was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10734-023-01101-0/) Correction to: Progressing to China-related careers: unveiling the hidden curriculum in Chinese international higher education
May 18th 2024, 13:23

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10734-023-01101-0) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10734-023-01101-0/) Correction to: Progressing to China-related careers: unveiling the hidden curriculum in Chinese international higher education was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10734-023-01082-0/) How do HEIs’ students accept nudging? Expert perspective analysis
May 18th 2024, 13:23

Abstract
The study examines the influence of nudging on the successful studies of Higher education institutions (HEI’s) students. Data from one of the typical countries of the Central European region (Czech Republic) is analyzed. The goal of the research was to find out how students accept individual forms of nudging. For this purpose, a questionnaire survey at Czech HEIs (N = 207) and structured interviews with experts (N = 19) were conducted. This study showed that information nudges and high-touch nudges enjoyed the highest level of acceptance. A strong correlation was also found between “most irritating” and group “manipulative” nudges. These forms of nudging fluctuated around the borderline value of acceptance. A strong or moderate correlation was also found between nudges with similar content and different forms. Structured interviews showed that experts supported the use of nudges. They considered it an important tool to influence the study’s success. Experts explained the differences in the acceptance of nudges in connection with the different ages of students, the type of study, the students’ life experiences, and partly with the type of field of study. They considered parents’ education rather ambivalent.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10734-023-01082-0) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10734-023-01082-0/) How do HEIs’ students accept nudging? Expert perspective analysis was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10734-023-01096-8/) Caught between academic calling and academic pressure? Working time characteristics, time pressure and time sovereignty predict PhD students’ research engagement
May 18th 2024, 13:22

Abstract
PhD students come to work in academic environments that are characterized by long working hours and work done on non-standard hours due to increasing job demands and metric evaluation systems. Yet their long working hours and work at non-standard hours are often seen as a logical consequence of their intellectual quest and academic calling and may even serve as a proxy for their research engagement. Against that background, quantitative data from 514 PhD students were used to unravel the complex relationships between different aspects of time use and PhD students’ work engagement. While the results support the academia as a calling thesis to some extent, they also show that the relationships between long and non-standard working hours and research engagement are partly negated by the fact that the same working time characteristics lead to perceived time pressure and lack of time sovereignty, which in turn negatively affects their engagement. Moreover, the mechanism behind this negation varies across scientific disciplines. These subjective working time characteristics are the same alarm signals that are flagged as risk factors in academic staff for occupational stress, burnout, and work-life imbalance and thus cannot be ignored.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10734-023-01096-8) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10734-023-01096-8/) Caught between academic calling and academic pressure? Working time characteristics, time pressure and time sovereignty predict PhD students’ research engagement was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10734-023-01094-w/) Financial aid uncertainty and low-income students’ higher education preferences
May 18th 2024, 13:22

Abstract
Low-income students’ preferences for higher education might depend on the uncertainty of financial aid. Using a time discontinuity design, this paper exploits the unanticipated cancellation of a nationwide Colombian merit and need-based scholarship, called Ser Pilo Paga, to study its consequences on students’ preferences for higher education. Preferences are measured using a discrete choice experiment administrated to 949 low-income high school students in 2018. The findings reveal that the scholarship’s cancellation reduced higher education ambitions among low-income students due to the decreased interest in both financial aid and high-quality universities. The effects were particularly concentrated on income-eligible individuals who were more likely to obtain the scholarship, as their choices for financial aid and high-quality institutions declined by 15 to 50% of the baseline preference.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10734-023-01094-w) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10734-023-01094-w/) Financial aid uncertainty and low-income students’ higher education preferences was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s13158-024-00393-2/) Teachers’ Beliefs and Practices to Support Emergent Literacy Development in Preschool Education: The Moderating Role of Continuous Training
May 18th 2024, 13:22

Abstract
The main goal of this study was to explore the relationship between emergent literacy beliefs and practices among Portuguese preschool teachers and to investigate the moderating role of experience and training (initial and continuous). The participants were 266 preschool teachers working in Portugal. The results indicate higher levels of holistic beliefs than technicist beliefs regarding emergent literacy. Practices aimed at promoting oral language and phonological awareness were reported as the most frequently used practices in the classroom. Teachers who had continuous training in emergent literacy had more holistic beliefs and performed more practices to promote children’s phonological awareness and knowledge of the relationship between oral and written language. Continuous training was also a significant moderator of the relationship between emergent literacy beliefs and practices. These findings highlight the importance of continuous training in fostering the use of quality research-based practices in the classroom.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13158-024-00393-2) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s13158-024-00393-2/) Teachers’ Beliefs and Practices to Support Emergent Literacy Development in Preschool Education: The Moderating Role of Continuous Training was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s13158-024-00392-3/) Worrying with Children and Water in ECEC: Exploring the Pedagogical framing Effects of Actions for Climate Change
May 18th 2024, 13:22

Abstract
Based on Sustainable Development Goals, a recent flurry of activity has begun concerning the responsibilities of teachers to support young children in recognising and responding to aspects of climate change. Less, however, is understood about the emotional impact of these interventions on children themselves, or the extent to which the way they are framed can impact on the actions that follow. The extent to which children are encouraged to worry about water and their responsibilities concerning its sustainability is of relevance to the children of Aotearoa New Zealand and orients the focus of this paper. Walking with 3–4-year-old children over several days across three early childhood education and care sites located near waterways in the South Island, researchers share examples of worrying that took place for these children as we walked together with water. Utilising Bilandzic et al. (Sci Commun 39:466–491, 2017) goal frames to analyse their significance, the ways children worried are explored in a series of narratives that identify as series of positive and negative frames and their consequences. The paper concludes by highlighting the considerable effects of worrying and their consequences for activating children towards climate action. Teachers are invited to take a nuanced view that ameliorates the counter-productive outcomes of negative frames that can immobilise action, in contemplation of positive frames with water as a relational encounter with potential for empowerment and change. As such, a shift from emphasising activities for climate change to the framings that orient their significance through children’s worrying encounters with and about water.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13158-024-00392-3) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s13158-024-00392-3/) Worrying with Children and Water in ECEC: Exploring the Pedagogical framing Effects of Actions for Climate Change was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s13158-024-00391-4/) Capstone Portfolios as an Accreditation and Professional Development Tool: Early Childhood Candidates’ Experience
May 18th 2024, 13:22

Abstract
This study aims to investigate the perceptions of teacher candidates enrolled in an early childhood program (BEd) towards the importance of producing the capstone portfolio. The purpose of using capstone portfolios is to provide evidence that Early Childhood Education candidates (ECEC) have met international accreditation standards as stipulated by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and realize the culminating development of their study in shaping the desired teacher qualities in their program of study. The perspectives of two cohorts of teacher candidates (a total of six participants) were investigated to report their views on the experience of creating capstone portfolios. Interviews and artefact analysis were used to collect data. The study revealed that Early Childhood Education candidates consolidated theory and practice through their capstone portfolios. The findings also revealed that the capstone portfolio, besides being evidence for meeting the National Association for the Education of Young Children accreditation standards, served as a means for learning and professional development. These findings show that capstone portfolios are effective not only for meeting accreditation standards but also for allowing candidates to connect the dots and fully view their overall learning as ECE professionals.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13158-024-00391-4) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s13158-024-00391-4/) Capstone Portfolios as an Accreditation and Professional Development Tool: Early Childhood Candidates’ Experience was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10755-024-09711-x/) Belonging Interrupted: Toward an Understanding of How Virtual Learning Impedes Women Students’ Belonging in Engineering
May 18th 2024, 13:22

Abstract
Although the effects of COVID-19 were felt by all students, the pandemic exacerbated the barriers to belonging for women in engineering. Little work to date has investigated women’s experiences during the pandemic in disciplines that are hallmarked by masculinity. What scholarship has been completed on pandemic-necessitated virtual instruction has not examined how women’s experiences and sense of belonging differed by the college year in which this disruption in their learning environment occurred. Utilizing data from seven focus groups conducted in March 2022 with 22 students, this study investigates how pandemic-induced virtual instruction is related to sense of belonging for women within their engineering majors. We found not only that the disruption caused by the pandemic had differential outcomes for students, but that these differences were mainly related to the year in which pandemic-induced virtual instruction occurred. This study highlights the importance of focusing on belonging and related issues as women transition into their major. We offer implications and recommendations for practice and research based on the differential outcomes found.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10755-024-09711-x) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10755-024-09711-x/) Belonging Interrupted: Toward an Understanding of How Virtual Learning Impedes Women Students’ Belonging in Engineering was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10755-024-09710-y/) Correction: Associations of Intrinsic Motivation and External Pressures with Engaged Learning Pedagogies by Faculty Teaching Capstone Experiences: A Mixed Methods Approach
May 18th 2024, 13:22

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10755-024-09710-y) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10755-024-09710-y/) Correction: Associations of Intrinsic Motivation and External Pressures with Engaged Learning Pedagogies by Faculty Teaching Capstone Experiences: A Mixed Methods Approach was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10755-024-09709-5/) PeTe (Peer Teaching) Mentors: How Near Peer Mentoring (NPM) Affects Academic Success and Retention in Design Education
May 18th 2024, 13:21

Abstract
Near-Peer Mentoring (NPM) is an innovative form of Peer-assisted Learning that has been gaining traction in educational settings. Traditionally, NPM is characterized by a more experienced student (typically a year or more advanced) offering guidance and support to newer, less experienced students, with the aim of helping them navigate the complexities of their educational journey. This concept, however, has evolved to encompass a more inclusive and interdisciplinary approach, wherein students from different fields share their expertise, enhancing the learning experience for all involved. Research has shown that near-peer groups can significantly ease the stress associated with transitioning into higher education environments. Additionally, they play a crucial role in fostering cognitive and psychomotor development in students. The benefits of peer mentoring extend beyond academic development, contributing to a stronger sense of belonging to the educational institution, increasing student success and retention rates, and enhancing science identity and self-efficacy. In a practical application of this concept, a NPM program was implemented in an Interior Design undergraduate program at a southwestern university. The program was designed with several objectives improving student retention, reducing the workload of studio instructors, creating learning opportunities through near-peer interactions (such as workshops and brown bag sessions), and fostering a sense of belonging within the department. The outcomes of this initiative were encouraging, indicating that near-peer mentorship positively influenced students’ academic motivation, sense of belonging, and confidence in their abilities, skills, and knowledge pertaining to the college environment.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10755-024-09709-5) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10755-024-09709-5/) PeTe (Peer Teaching) Mentors: How Near Peer Mentoring (NPM) Affects Academic Success and Retention in Design Education was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s00431-024-05563-x/) Correction to: Scabies in infants and children – a narrative review
May 18th 2024, 13:21

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00431-024-05563-x) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s00431-024-05563-x/) Correction to: Scabies in infants and children – a narrative review was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s00431-023-05261-0/) Reducing the risks of nuclear war—the role of health professionals
May 18th 2024, 13:21

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00431-023-05261-0) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s00431-023-05261-0/) Reducing the risks of nuclear war—the role of health professionals was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s00431-024-05524-4/) Empowering young voices: navigating the complexities of minors in healthcare decisions
May 18th 2024, 13:21

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00431-024-05524-4) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s00431-024-05524-4/) Empowering young voices: navigating the complexities of minors in healthcare decisions was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10903-023-01574-2/) The Effect of a Quality Improvement Project on Improving Patients’ Willingness to Receive an Influenza Vaccination in the Emergency Department
May 18th 2024, 13:21

Abstract
The aim of this project was to increase willingness to receive the influenza vaccine to the optimal rate of ≥ 70%. Low acuity adult patients who visited an Emergency Department (ED) were assessed regarding their willingness to receive the influenza vaccine before and after an educational intervention that included a provider recommendation and an educational handout. A total of seventy-six patients (n = 76) were assessed. Patients’ willingness to receive the influenza vaccine rose from 29% pre-intervention to 72% post-intervention without disrupting the clinical flow in a busy ED. Similar vaccine educational strategies can be applied to influenza and other vaccines in EDs  to increase vaccination willingness in patients, including those who use the ED as a primary point of contact for healthcare, decreasing the burden of influenza illness in the community.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10903-023-01574-2) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s10903-023-01574-2/) The Effect of a Quality Improvement Project on Improving Patients’ Willingness to Receive an Influenza Vaccination in the Emergency Department was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed