Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Sun Mar 24 12:59:04 PDT 2024

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7611269/) Behavior change programs: prevention chlamydia and gonorrhea infections among female sex workers
Mar 24th 2024, 15:46

Dear Editors,
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.bZzYxOzWk1QFMLE5_JUU94jlzjp1j4RIVJhwff2uv_fT0ea5S7CrT2FRLZp2dUaBzdzoMf6Fp4zclav98-eMr_rwsSl4TSLtAz0CbxAUZCZkMb1ih5490ibMvALTxwHEnhBwzINT4TxVJO4UYBRgsjhi3TmIji69NGAGISfcbxAgFi2Q2UOhTu1szu7MYvUogJEXJ1DPSQ1g_j0fiL8U1ZQa9w0H-6nPWcEzSc23bJCUB07y57uF98jrq9W18fCq203aT5E89Ha6U75X2k7dGy5xUt-ZzW1TCm1_ff6j5IRet-TuiZO4t6JExiqdyCaxwOof7MQ7LzrfQ0fN-9vO1A.dVCM2pLw_wZ37Ewn.2jAokTjUobgpexqXi3MVFkIM-AUWECiW1gHMql9ssYh41NEwIwcT6TOsTurvL120JFc1ZP6wmazOBPbeeTjLJeIFb-ZWM5lsaLGnDEi-hxngr3NdzDF4WUuiaB8YqY28w_HScwuY8XyJyB9XVnjbmfsAGqYMiap3SHstIFoHu2xy1r_7bGvAoOfV5gxy1e5PWB7daKugYU4Jlb_qwgkw2ybalFk.1C8enfy4HBq7ZbhpkFUL3Q&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=fd74f0d5-bd8f-4ae8-8f36-4c13072e2d3aredirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjjpubhealthzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjpubmedzjfdae024zj7611269zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7611269/) Behavior change programs: prevention chlamydia and gonorrhea infections among female sex workers was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/infographics/half-of-australians-in-aged-care-have-depression-psychological-therapy-could-help/) Half of Australians in aged care have depression. Psychological therapy could help
Mar 24th 2024, 15:27

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/infographics/half-of-australians-in-aged-care-have-depression-psychological-therapy-could-help/) Half of Australians in aged care have depression. Psychological therapy could help was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/why-utah-brought-one-of-the-strictest-sanctions-possible-against-this-hospital/) Why Utah brought ‘one of the strictest sanctions’ possible against this hospital
Mar 24th 2024, 15:16

After nearly three years of documenting serious issues at Highland Ridge Hospital, Utah licensing officials recently took what they say is “one of the strictest sanctions” it can against the 83-bed psychiatric hospital.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/why-utah-brought-one-of-the-strictest-sanctions-possible-against-this-hospital/) Why Utah brought ‘one of the strictest sanctions’ possible against this hospital was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/funding/24-28-parenting-interventions-closes-9-august/) 24/28 Parenting Interventions (Closes 9 August)
Mar 24th 2024, 15:07

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/funding/24-28-parenting-interventions-closes-9-august/) 24/28 Parenting Interventions (Closes 9 August) was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7560306/) The Prevalence and Nature of Cognitive Interviewing as a Survey Questionnaire Evaluation Method in the United States
Mar 24th 2024, 13:42

Abstract
We describe the prevalence and nature of cognitive interviewing (CI) for testing survey questionnaires in the United States and compare our results to those from Blair and Presser’s similar study of three decades ago when such testing was relatively new. We find that although CI is now much more common than in 1993, there are still many organizations that do not use it. In addition, we find that there has been only a modest reduction in the great variation of ways CI is conducted both within and across organizations. We interpret this variability mainly as a reflection of the lack of consensus about best practices and call for research that will make consensus about best practices more likely.
(https://academic.oup.com/jssam/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jssam/smad047/7560306?rss=1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7560306/) The Prevalence and Nature of Cognitive Interviewing as a Survey Questionnaire Evaluation Method in the United States was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/report-to-congress-best-practices-in-the-money-follows-the-person-mfp-demonstration/) Report to Congress  Best Practices in the Money Follows  the Person (MFP) Demonstration
Mar 24th 2024, 13:31

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/report-to-congress-best-practices-in-the-money-follows-the-person-mfp-demonstration/) Report to Congress  Best Practices in the Money Follows  the Person (MFP) Demonstration was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s40653-023-00606-1/) A Systematic Review of the Impact of Placement Instability on Emotional and Behavioural Outcomes Among Children in Foster Care
Mar 24th 2024, 13:17

Abstract

Purpose
Foster care children are a highly vulnerable population and their experiences in care are considered crucial to their developmental and psychosocial wellbeing. Placement instability has been considered a possible risk factor for developmental difficulties due to its impact on the development of a reparative attachment relationship and sense of relational permanence. The current review synthesises the literature regarding the impact of placement instability on behavioural and mental health outcomes in foster care children. Three major databases and grey literature sources were searched for all relevant quantitative research published by July 2019. Titles and abstracts of 2419 articles were screened following searches, with full texts obtained for 51 studies and 14 included in the final review. All were subject to quality assessment by two independent reviewers. Results indicated that placement instability was a consistent predictor of externalising behaviour in children, although some evidence was counter-indicative in this regard. There was also evidence to suggest a relationship with internalising behaviours, and mental health difficulties, in particular PTSD symptoms. Methodological quality and design varied between studies which limited direct comparisons. Most notably, there was a lack of consensus on how to quantify and measure placement instability and many studies failed to control for potentially confounding care-related variables. The review highlights that instability seems to result in negative psychological outcomes, although the extent of this relationship remains unclear. The review’s findings are discussed with reference to research and clinical implications.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40653-023-00606-1?error=cookies_not_supported&code=027b0c59-c892-4f11-a932-b0b3c9ee060c) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s40653-023-00606-1/) A Systematic Review of the Impact of Placement Instability on Emotional and Behavioural Outcomes Among Children in Foster Care was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/16506073-2023-2273794/) Evaluating the interactive impact of acculturative stress and anxiety sensitivity on behavioral health outcomes among Latinx during a period of high COVID-19 impact
Mar 24th 2024, 12:56

Volume 53, Issue 1, January 2024, Page 87-104.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/16506073.2023.2273794?ai=2ip&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/16506073-2023-2273794/) Evaluating the interactive impact of acculturative stress and anxiety sensitivity on behavioral health outcomes among Latinx during a period of high COVID-19 impact was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/monographs-edited-collections/the-exvangelicals-loving-living-and-leaving-the-white-evangelical-church/) The Exvangelicals: Loving, Living, and Leaving the White Evangelical Church
Mar 24th 2024, 12:42

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/monographs-edited-collections/the-exvangelicals-loving-living-and-leaving-the-white-evangelical-church/) The Exvangelicals: Loving, Living, and Leaving the White Evangelical Church was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/vio0000498/) Positioning and self-presentation as fathers by men in treatment for intimate partner violence.
Mar 24th 2024, 11:14

Psychology of Violence, Vol 14(2), Mar 2024, 97-106; doi:10.1037/vio0000498
Objective: Treatment for intimate partner violence (IPV) is a context that assigns moral positions to a person with a violence problem. How men who use IPV present themselves in this context may affect treatment. This has been studied focusing on the adult relationship but to little extent on the father–child relationship. We examined how men used discourses on parenting to present themselves in the context of IPV treatment. Method: Thirty-six men in IPV treatment were screened for parental mentalizing, alcohol and substance use, lifetime single and complex trauma, and interviewed on their relationship to one of their children. We qualitatively analyzed the interviews from 19 participants who reported problematic alcohol use in addition to their use of IPV. We performed a critical discourse analysis, based on positioning theory. Results: Participants had low mentalization scores and high prevalence of relational trauma. They presented contradictory and incoherent storylines typical of “remedial work” but also expressed confusion and difficulties understanding themselves and their children. Men positioned themselves as a positive influence on their children by using available discourses on fathering and family. Problems in the father–child relationship were presented as arising from the child’s personality. The impact of IPV on partner and child was seldom reflected upon. Conclusions: The present article suggests that clients’ self-presentation in IPV therapy may reflect their challenges with mentalization and offer ports of entry for intervention. Men in IPV treatment may use available discourses on fathering that permit them to refrain from mentalizing their children’s experience. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/vio0000498/) Positioning and self-presentation as fathers by men in treatment for intimate partner violence. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/podcasts/governing-the-displaced-race-and-ambivalence-in-global-capitalism/) Governing the Displaced: Race and Ambivalence in Global Capitalism
Mar 24th 2024, 11:01

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/podcasts/governing-the-displaced-race-and-ambivalence-in-global-capitalism/) Governing the Displaced: Race and Ambivalence in Global Capitalism was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/vio0000493/) Making the world a more hostile place: Honor endorsement and the hostile attribution bias.
Mar 24th 2024, 10:32

Psychology of Violence, Vol 14(2), Mar 2024, 87-96; doi:10.1037/vio0000493
Objective: Prior research has sought to understand factors which facilitate aggression in cultures of honor but has focused primarily on objective reputation threats as the primary contributor. The current research investigates the extent to which honor norms may be linked with hostile attribution bias, a perceptual bias in how individuals perceive ambiguous scenarios, as well as how this might contribute to aggressive outcomes commonly found in the honor literature. Method: One thousand eight hundred thirty-one participants across two studies (one preregistered) and three sources of data completed measures on their anticipated anger, aggression, and attributions of hostility in hypothetical benign, ambiguous, and hostile scenarios. Some participants also completed measures of a word-sentence association paradigm to assess participant’s access to hostile cognitions. Results: Analyses revealed significant indirect effects from honor endorsement to a latent aggression outcome through attributions of hostility and anticipated anger. Interestingly, significant effects were found in all three conditions (benign, ambiguous, and hostile) in Study 2. A significant link between honor endorsement and Hostility Association scores was only found in participants living in a culture of honor region. Conclusions: Findings suggest that honor-endorsing individuals may be more likely to interpret benign and ambiguous scenarios as inherently hostile, thus contributing to their propensity for aggressive responding. Prevention may lie in intervening during socialization processes, and implications suggest hostile attribution bias may play a role in domestic violence and support for other forms of violent behavior. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/vio0000493/) Making the world a more hostile place: Honor endorsement and the hostile attribution bias. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/video/comparing-the-american-community-survey-to-the-household-pulse-survey/) Comparing the American Community Survey to the Household Pulse Survey
Mar 24th 2024, 10:24

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/video/comparing-the-american-community-survey-to-the-household-pulse-survey/) Comparing the American Community Survey to the Household Pulse Survey was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/new-california-court-for-the-mentally-ill-tests-a-states-liberal-values/) New California Court for the Mentally Ill Tests a State’s Liberal Values
Mar 24th 2024, 10:03

To confront the crises of homelessness and mental illness, California has passed new laws that critics say could violate the civil liberties of those suffering on the streets. Some families welcome the new measures.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/new-california-court-for-the-mentally-ill-tests-a-states-liberal-values/) New California Court for the Mentally Ill Tests a State’s Liberal Values was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/the-community-eligibility-provision-cep-allows-high-poverty-schools-and-districts-to-provide-breakfast-and-lunch-at-no-charge-to-all-students/) The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) allows high-poverty schools and districts to provide breakfast and lunch at no charge to all students
Mar 24th 2024, 09:59

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/the-community-eligibility-provision-cep-allows-high-poverty-schools-and-districts-to-provide-breakfast-and-lunch-at-no-charge-to-all-students/) The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) allows high-poverty schools and districts to provide breakfast and lunch at no charge to all students was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/guidelines-plus/technical-guidance-sexual-harassment-and-harassment-at-work/) Technical guidance: Sexual harassment and harassment at work
Mar 24th 2024, 09:39

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/guidelines-plus/technical-guidance-sexual-harassment-and-harassment-at-work/) Technical guidance: Sexual harassment and harassment at work was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7613183/) Online health information–seeking behaviours for low back pain in the United Kingdom: analysis of data from Google trends and the Global Burden of Disease Study, 2004–2019
Mar 24th 2024, 09:16

Abstract
Background
Low back pain (LBP) is a leading cause of global disability. Timely health-seeking is crucial for early diagnosis and management of pathologies. Despite increases in internet usage, there is sparse literature regarding online health information–seeking behaviours (OHISBs) for LBP and how they correlate with the LBP disease burden in the UK.
Methods
To examine OHISB trends, we conducted Prais–Winsten analyses on monthly search volume data from Google Trends in the UK between 1 January 2004 and 1 December 2019. Cross-correlation analyses assessed the relationship between annual LBP search volume and LBP morbidity and mortality data from the Global Burden of Disease study (2004–2019).
Results
>From 2004 to 2019, the trend in LBP search volume was curvilinear (β=1.27, t=5.00, p<0.001), with a slope change around the end of 2006. There was a negative linear trend (β=−0.25, t35=−1.52, p<0.14) from 2004 to 2006 and a positive linear trend (β=0.67, t108=9.17, p<0.001) from 2007 to 2019. Cross-correlations revealed positive associations between search volume and disease burden indicators for LBP such as prevalence and incidence at lags 4 and 5.
Conclusions
A rising trend in OHISBs for LBP was noted between 2004 and 2019. This trend positively correlates with incidence, prevalence and burden measures. These findings emphasise the importance of high-quality online resources to increase awareness around LBP, facilitating early diagnosis and management.
(https://academic.oup.com/inthealth/advance-article/doi/10.1093/inthealth/ihae020/7613183?rss=1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7613183/) Online health information–seeking behaviours for low back pain in the United Kingdom: analysis of data from Google trends and the Global Burden of Disease Study, 2004–2019 was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7609929/) Factors Influencing Music Therapists’ Retention of Clinical Hours with Autistic Clients over Telehealth During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Mar 24th 2024, 08:16

Abstract
The 2019 coronavirus disease pandemic influenced music therapists to migrate services to online platforms, though some lost clinical hours during the pandemic when telehealth was not a viable option. This survey study aimed to ascertain factors that helped music-based therapists to continue serving autistic clients over telehealth during the pandemic. We surveyed 193 accredited music therapists located mainly in Canada and the US. In addition to gathering data on general perceptions of telehealth music therapy and Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT), one-way ANOVAs were applied to determine differences in percent-change loss of clinical hours for music therapists: (1) working in different employment settings; (2) serving children, youth, adults, or a mixture of ages; and (3) practicing NMT or not. The general perception of telehealth music therapy was positive, and NMTs believed that the clear protocols and transformation design model were helpful to them in adapting services to telehealth. There were no significant differences in percent-change of clinical hours among music therapists in different employment settings or serving different client age groups. Music therapists who said they practiced within the NMT treatment model lost a significantly lower percentage of clinical hours with autistic clients than those who did not practice NMT. Possible reasons for this result and the need for further research are discussed.
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.bcnAQP6n4IdrfyVJdOHMGc8NAmvCm6SEmOyVUdWg6Z2Uxx6Z9NUf6U28mecW2coC4mWIrzsPav8W3K9ORmqjqSJ5BOVq5SitszGUnGXgKX14J3sb4O3arhR-lWJAPcVcvdDNyEgsghoWNcyUpaespnWpUf7rUYDZQ4sjftJInNUBV5YlmvAvlpU02AK8pjZf0P6LfKUgJf0D4QgZOG1mWTbQB1M8RGYvdYSo15CyVUXJA0648pa0YLEtHd99xqjXv6gQCyJy8QwqSwBYYHDGvp0OsJPXE_qMEJf0qy--LRPoyF1-ZZL8ojZJV2fAEATycaoIKO0LDHQu8jdbUocEDw.1tlkBlP2fTWzAsh6.iPLiXk9aKl9IwzWPUOM1ivJ0CwmyHizzZqEAe4IDZhvYmlaIvGlhCVMZNvJ63WwwcIMvUa_uyGw_nH8n3q3LU2ztavv_DygSqJA_KfcNwQrfWO01B138ZMzF1PeDqOlSTl_ZF9eBlInqCkulCi9rkAkPINlrUrHxtKeeu8Wk8myRkr8p-tb9Os-zh3d4Tz3Rfb0IufESPuHhyN-3OK-_isXeAkI.QXsFpUQDzvMo8vu2YCEaMA&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=9effb6a6-5a32-4e4a-ba5d-3f9b95575d34redirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjjmtzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjjmtzjthad029zj7609929zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7609929/) Factors Influencing Music Therapists’ Retention of Clinical Hours with Autistic Clients over Telehealth During the COVID-19 Pandemic was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/challenges-and-opportunities-for-improving-mental-health-care-and-preventing-suicide-among-people-living-with-hiv-perspectives-of-mental-health-professionals-in-tanzania/) Challenges and opportunities for improving mental health care and preventing suicide among people living with HIV: Perspectives of mental health professionals in Tanzania
Mar 24th 2024, 08:08

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/challenges-and-opportunities-for-improving-mental-health-care-and-preventing-suicide-among-people-living-with-hiv-perspectives-of-mental-health-professionals-in-tanzania/) Challenges and opportunities for improving mental health care and preventing suicide among people living with HIV: Perspectives of mental health professionals in Tanzania was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/how-much-stress-is-too-much-a-psychiatrist-explains-the-links-between-toxic-stress-and-poor-health-%E2%88%92-and-how-to-get-help/) How much stress is too much? A psychiatrist explains the links between toxic stress and poor health − and how to get help
Mar 24th 2024, 07:56

A 2023 study of stress and aging over the life span – one of the first studies to confirm this piece of common wisdom – found that four measures of stress all speed up the pace of biological aging in midlife. It also found that persistent high stress ages people in a comparable way to the effects of smoking and low socioeconomic status, two well-established risk factors for accelerated aging.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/how-much-stress-is-too-much-a-psychiatrist-explains-the-links-between-toxic-stress-and-poor-health-%E2%88%92-and-how-to-get-help/) How much stress is too much? A psychiatrist explains the links between toxic stress and poor health − and how to get help was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/emotional-empathy-across-adulthood-a-meta-analytic-review/) Emotional empathy across adulthood: A meta-analytic review
Mar 24th 2024, 07:52

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/emotional-empathy-across-adulthood-a-meta-analytic-review/) Emotional empathy across adulthood: A meta-analytic review was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s41465-024-00286-1/) The Attributes and Characteristics of Leisure Activity Engagement that Foster Cognition in Aging: A Scoping Review
Mar 24th 2024, 07:22

Abstract
The association between leisure activities and cognition in aging is well supported, suggesting that intellectual, physical, and social leisure engagement protects against cognitive decline. However, less is known about the attributes and characteristics of leisure activity engagement that foster neurological protection. The purpose of this study was to review the current evidence related to the salient features of leisure activity engagement that foster cognition in aging. Using scoping review procedures, nine databases were searched. Sixty-five articles, published between 2000 and 2021 met study criteria, providing empirical information about the ways in which attributes and characteristics of leisure engagement have shown an association with cognition in aging. The purpose of a scoping review is to systematically map the literature on a topic, identifying key concepts, theories, sources of evidence, and gaps in the research. This review identified and explored the attributes of leisure engagement which were frequency, intensity, duration, and variety. Characteristics of leisure engagement identified include novelty, active/productive engagement, enjoyment, meaning, and self-direction. Literature supports, to varying degrees, the association between leisure attributes and characteristics and cognition in aging. This information may provide more meaningful direction for intervention than recommendations for engagement in specific activities or activity domains. Results suggest that it is the way leisure is experienced, i.e., the attributes and characteristics of leisure engagement, and not any specific leisure activity or category of activities that may determine the protection provided against cognitive decline in aging. This can be used to guide future research, provide beneficial recommendations to older adults, and in the design of efficacious interventions to prevent cognitive decline in aging.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41465-024-00286-1?error=cookies_not_supported&code=95eaefc0-149e-4217-aa3a-ba8107b98bef) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s41465-024-00286-1/) The Attributes and Characteristics of Leisure Activity Engagement that Foster Cognition in Aging: A Scoping Review was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7601319/) Learning policy lessons from the pandemic: the UK’s COVID Inquiry
Mar 24th 2024, 06:16

Faced with a novel virus, SARS-CoV-2, whose virulence and transmissibility was unknown, policymakers everywhere had to decide when and how to respond. It is unsurprising that many mistakes were made.
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.g4OyOszhVKWbSFkm_B0EEb5r-aS48q_qbeOnVq3khank41swrxltMXNnJ_jacjO5EfNP2buECJB8XkshJQZkeSItOAu3V6QsAliLYdw6O2GSvkKow7GpxSCj2D50lZ8nrt92qbWp-o5HIhzNefN3MDBWqcvUnLyLTwUSAAtn4AEHdq3z2MCv7gFYooCkw7Dna-DKu7Zs-Vw9jQ7tVuMSKJWLcQWc2D5F6izPw-A_GS-MVSQ5GqeXMj91mlsscxaOwKWZVIwAe3IVGT0-QimiTR-jktdu2tJcz60CAxR-JnzP5nl5G3jFXmVtTwPrYJNQ7kCPjT8On3Ema8vdRerXAA.nhmYd-mUgK-XEm0B.6IDOWWj1gKLjaKXiLrwYTaqRF_D-4a-hO_LEmK5OYfjbdNgb7dkmRFYmn36O0GqtFJn6J38-FJzpC9guDpwgHhEnbWvKz-JlU2WoSFOD3FMe-w3YoFjvKVKszWVZs8UsgzXZtNjG67UGLGeG1tnS44NG-Ymm7QhSye413o0v9-LIJ-LR92_s8Nmr0JH1SIGg1HB-XyU48JGjTdww39yH1U1yIVk.-9xqqHlSflv8Gmb3CaOygg&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=9c948f92-fca3-4888-b921-13420f52d810redirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjeurpubzjarticlezj34zj1zj5zj7601319zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7601319/) Learning policy lessons from the pandemic: the UK’s COVID Inquiry was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tc-2022-057809v2/) Seeking to be seen as legitimate members of the scientific community? An analysis of British American Tobacco and Philip Morris Internationals involvement in scientific events
Mar 24th 2024, 05:32

Introduction
For decades, tobacco companies manipulated and misused science. They funded and disseminated favourable research and suppressed research that showed the harms of their products, deliberately generating misinformation. While previous work has examined many of the practices involved, their engagement in scientific events has so far not been systematically studied. Here, we examine the involvement of British American Tobacco (BAT) and Philip Morris International (PMI) in scientific events, including conferences, symposia and workshops.
Methods
Our analysis involved two steps. First, we collected all available data PMI and BAT provided on their websites to identify events. Second, we extracted information about the nature of tobacco industry involvement from event websites and materials.
Results
We identified 213 scientific events that BAT and/or PMI representatives attended between April 2012 and September 2021. Most events took place in high-income countries in Europe and North America. They covered a diverse range of fields, including toxicology (n=60, 28.1%), medicine (n=25, 11.7%), biology (n=24, 11.3%), chemistry (n=23, 10.8%) and aerosol science (n=18, 8.5%), as well as dentistry (n=9, 4.2%), pharmaceutical science (n=8, 3.8%) and computing (n=8, 3.8%). We identified 356 posters provided by BAT and PMI that linked to 118 events (55.4%) as well as 77 presentations from 65 events (30.5%). Industry involvement through sponsorship (nine events), exhibition (three events) or organising committee (one event) was rare.
Conclusion
BAT and PMI representatives attended a large number and wide range of scientific events. Given that scientific events could be a crucial platform for building connections in the scientific sphere and disseminating industry’s messages, this work highlights the importance of denormalising the tobacco industry’s involvement in scientific events.

(https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/early/2024/02/14/tc-2022-057809?rss=1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tc-2022-057809v2/) Seeking to be seen as legitimate members of the scientific community? An analysis of British American Tobacco and Philip Morris Internationals involvement in scientific events was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/working-with-families-to-support-early-childhood-development-learning-from-the-evaluation-of-a-better-start/) Working with families to support early childhood development: Learning from the evaluation of A Better Start
Mar 24th 2024, 04:42

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/working-with-families-to-support-early-childhood-development-learning-from-the-evaluation-of-a-better-start/) Working with families to support early childhood development: Learning from the evaluation of A Better Start was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/testing-the-latent-structure-factorial-equivalence-and-external-correlates-of-the-brief-self-control-scale-in-a-community-sample-of-spanish-adults/) Testing the latent structure, factorial equivalence, and external correlates of the brief self-control scale in a community sample of Spanish adults
Mar 24th 2024, 04:34

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/testing-the-latent-structure-factorial-equivalence-and-external-correlates-of-the-brief-self-control-scale-in-a-community-sample-of-spanish-adults/) Testing the latent structure, factorial equivalence, and external correlates of the brief self-control scale in a community sample of Spanish adults was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7608508/) The Role of the ASK GAP in Gender Pay Inequality*†
Mar 24th 2024, 04:11

Abstract
The gender ask gap measures the extent to which women ask for lower salaries than comparable men. This paper studies its role in generating wage inequality, using novel data from an online recruitment platform for full-time engineering jobs: Hired.com. To use the platform, job candidates must post an ask salary, stating how much they want to make in their next job. Firms then apply to candidates by offering them a bid salary, solely based on the candidate’s resume and ask salary. If the candidate is hired, a final salary is recorded. After adjusting for resume characteristics, the ask gap is 2.9%, the bid gap is 2.2%, and the final offer gap is 1.4%. Further controlling for the ask salary explains the entirety of the residual gender gaps in bid and final salaries. To further provide evidence of the causal effect of the ask salary on the bid salary, I exploit an unanticipated change in how candidates were prompted to provide their ask. For some candidates in mid-2018, the answer box used to solicit the ask salary was changed from an empty field to an entry pre-filled with the median bid salary for similar candidates. I find that this change drove the ask, bid, and final offer gaps to zero. In addition, women did not receive fewer bids or final offers than men did due to the change, suggesting they faced little penalty for demanding comparable wages.
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.TmDJOQnIN6bMwrIhvejODj0OLAzIJbFy8AgSL0CoF2DNzeadu-3BIxwba_beS_uyDrHl14K9ZNHsgScsKNA4I7N20XD2zmP-cg0vGohDch7xblUzO066vaJ8aHdiyR0Y3NDspTJAB37hzxy672QbTvNZPMhMXNlKDXvk_9E-2CP7HQL7TrgUBAjMG24JSn9HmMbI7TIba3Ki7eJiri0iRRwRZs3hmlnYnxDwwqmCqXObq7L77djx6WQKst1aiJ9d9aDNST1nNe-jiS9xAIEJSV_mc8ggmHIKr8MOKIemoK2Z6zIan50UYLuquIKqmHs-MQz6hGQnZrPb9dWD8QXDTw._2xrrzW620exrFba.bLbVTw362DNVGb-Q9h-qmwIiU0pQ78aisIEBQecCDFDXNHryacevgTGetSDMtH_4w9quBOlF_z6zrvFL9DcjyF3wNtnGY-GDs6SnObr-cn0oOiuYVabAO5txvPGGQVsN4y2-x4Aq49acBsH6Ou_aWkuIVMdOuGYhKVu42f4LevoAqaHOe57zFbq_2HLnhHpRD1RFSU4sHWUreF_9k-ZDZAx3kno.Xtg0Ula0cksKXsnrkONwbw&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=696dfc92-1148-4614-9010-dd36b298562aredirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjqjezjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjqjezjqjae004zj7608508zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/7608508/) The Role of the ASK GAP in Gender Pay Inequality*† was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/uks-highest-student-loan-debt-exceeds-230000-new-figures-show/) UK’s highest student loan debt exceeds £230,000, new figures show
Mar 24th 2024, 04:02

Undergraduate loans are typically only made to those doing their first higher education qualification, but some courses – including medicine, social work and dentistry – offer exceptions to this rule.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/uks-highest-student-loan-debt-exceeds-230000-new-figures-show/) UK’s highest student loan debt exceeds £230,000, new figures show was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09593535231223915/) Beyond abjection: Exploring narratives after premenstrual dysphoric disorder
Mar 24th 2024, 03:53

Feminism &Psychology, Ahead of Print. Qualitative research on the experiences of those living with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is limited. Utilising the material–discursive–intrapsychic (MDI) framework, the purpose of the study was to privilege the voices present within individuals who have moved into a space of recovery, management, or transformation of PMDD, and explore these narratives. The study involved seven, in-depth narrative interviews. The data were then analysed using the Listening Guide, a feminist, poststructural method used to capture the polyphony of perspectives surrounding PMDD experiences. The analysis generated two broad narrative themes, with four subsequent voices under each: (a) “within abjection”—the voice toward the Other, the voice silenced, the voice of anger, the voice of agency; and (b) “beyond abjection”—the voice of action, the voice of surrender, the voice of resistance, the voice of reembodiment. Significant findings from the research involved identifying the movement toward a space of recovery, management, or transformation of PMDD as attainable, with PMDD being a negotiable and therefore plastic experience for participants. Further, the participant accounts of dismissive, uninformed, and harmful treatment from medical providers were heard; experiences which led participants toward self-help options for PMDD management.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09593535231223915?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09593535231223915/) Beyond abjection: Exploring narratives after premenstrual dysphoric disorder was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed