Your Daily digest for Science Daily Mind & Brain Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Tue Jul 30 01:41:42 PDT 2024

Science Daily Mind & Brain Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729173436.htm) Everyday activities aren't enough to protect against stroke
Jul 29th 2024, 17:34

Research shows that the physical activities we do as we go about our lives, at work or in the home, aren't enough to protect us from having a stroke. However, exercising in our free time and using active modes of transport are associated with a decreased risk of stroke.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729173408.htm) Fetal brain impacted when mom fights severe flu: New mouse study explains how
Jul 29th 2024, 17:34

New research using live mouse-adapted influenza virus improves upon previous mouse experiments to explain how maternal infection impacts fetal brain development. The study also indicates fetal brain changes are more likely once the severity of the mother's infection meets a specific threshold.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729173344.htm) Study finds gaps in mental health care for people with chronic pain
Jul 29th 2024, 17:33

A new study found that adults with chronic pain are more likely to experience symptoms of anxiety and depression than people without chronic pain, yet they access mental health care at lower rates and are less likely to have their mental health needs met in treatment.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729173324.htm) To get drivers to put down their phones, make it a game
Jul 29th 2024, 17:33

A large trial of strategies to reduce distracted driving showed that those that were 'gamified' yielded a lasting reduction in handheld phone usage while driving.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729173319.htm) Analogies for modeling belief dynamics
Jul 29th 2024, 17:33

Researchers who study belief dynamics often use analogies to understand and model the complex cognitive-social systems that underlie why we believe the things we do and how those beliefs can change over time. Ideas can be transmitted like a virus, for instance, 'infecting' a population as they spread from person to person. We might be drawn -- like magnets -- to others with a similar worldview. A society's beliefs can shift slowly before reaching a tipping point that thrusts society into a new phase. A new article explores the benefits -- and potential pitfalls -- of several common analogies used to model belief dynamics.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729110300.htm) Researchers use non-invasive technique to record involuntary nervous system
Jul 29th 2024, 11:03

A research team has shown that a wearable, non-invasive device can measure activity in human cervical nerves in clinical settings. The results could help medical professionals tailor treatments for inflammatory conditions like sepsis and PTSD.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729110251.htm) New clues point towards how exercise reduces symptoms of depression
Jul 29th 2024, 11:02

The processes in the brain and body through which physical exercise reduces depressive symptoms have been explored.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729110241.htm) Losing a loved one may speed up aging
Jul 29th 2024, 11:02

Losing someone close, like a family member, can make you age faster. The study found that people who lost a parent, partner, sibling, or child, showed signs of older biological age compared to those who hadn't experienced such losses.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729104241.htm) Fatty acids in umbilical cord blood might cause autism spectrum disorder, study suggests
Jul 29th 2024, 10:42

Researchers have found a significant link between the levels of specific dihydroxy fatty acids in umbilical cord blood and ASD symptoms. Their findings highlight the role of these metabolites in the developmental trajectory of ASD and could pave the way for early diagnostic techniques and a better understanding of ASD pathophysiology.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240729104230.htm) Every minute counts: Rapid and accurate prediction model for cardiac arrest treatment
Jul 29th 2024, 10:42

Scientists have developed the R-EDByUS score, a new model predicting neurological outcomes in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients using prehospital data only. The model allows for rapid decision-making upon hospital arrival, enhancing patient care and resource allocation. This innovation marks a significant advancement in emergency medical treatment.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240725154730.htm) Last decade saw big decrease in teens who used commonly prescribed and misused prescription drugs
Jul 25th 2024, 15:47

Since 2009, U.S. high school seniors have reported steep declines in medical use, misuse and availability of the three most commonly prescribed and misused controlled substances for teens, a new study found.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240725154636.htm) Can a computer tell patients how their multiple sclerosis will progress?
Jul 25th 2024, 15:46

Machine learning models can reliably inform clinicians about the disability progression of multiple sclerosis, according to a new study published this week in the open-access journal PLOS Digital Health by Edward De Brouwer of KU Leuven, Belgium, and colleagues.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240722155002.htm) Bipolar disorder and alcohol: It's not as simple as 'self-medication'
Jul 22nd 2024, 15:50

Bipolar disorder and alcohol problems seem to go hand-in-hand, leading to a widespread belief that drinking acts as a kind of 'self medication' to ease bipolar's life-altering symptoms of mania, depression, anxiety, sleep disturbances and more. But a new study suggests a much more complex interaction between the two.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240722155000.htm) Innovative modeling aims to curb teen drunken driving fatalities
Jul 22nd 2024, 15:50

New research is shedding new light on the complex issue of drinking and driving among teens and young adults in the U.S.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed