Your Daily digest for PsyPost – Psychology News Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Tue Aug 13 07:32:01 PDT 2024

PsyPost – Psychology News Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://www.psypost.org/moralization-intensifies-as-economic-inequality-grows/) Moralization intensifies as economic inequality grows
Aug 13th 2024, 10:00

New research published in (https://doi.org/10.1093/pnasnexus/pgae221) PNAS Nexus reveals a link between economic inequality and the tendency to view the world through a moral lens. The study, which analyzed Twitter data and surveyed people across 41 regions worldwide, suggests that as economic inequality grows, so does the emphasis on morality in daily life. This phenomenon may be a way for individuals to restore a sense of order and control in a society they perceive as increasingly chaotic.
Economic inequality has been a growing concern worldwide, with many studies showing its adverse effects on social cohesion, trust, and cooperation. However, less is known about how inequality affects the way people think about and judge moral issues. The researchers hypothesized that when people perceive the social fabric of society as fraying—something that often accompanies rising inequality—they might respond by becoming more morally vigilant. In other words, they may increasingly view issues through a moral lens as a way to impose order on what feels like a disordered world.
“Back in 2016, just before starting my PhD, I was feeling pretty lost. I knew I had a deep love for psychology research, but I wasn’t sure what I could be passionate enough about to dedicate four years of my life to. So, I did a bit of soul searching on a trip to the United States, spending two weeks in New York City — a place I’ve always loved,” said study author (https://x.com/kelly_kirkland_?lang=en) Kelly Kirkland, a research fellow at the University of Queensland and honorary fellow at the University of Melbourne.
“I’m a dual Australian/American citizen and had visited plenty of times as a kid, but this time was different. As I walked the streets on my own, I started seeing the city in a new light. I was struck by the stark contrast between the extreme wealth and the pervasive homelessness, all existing side by side.”
“The more I observed, the more I felt that this had to be affecting people’s psychology in some way. When I returned home, I dove into the limited research on how economic inequality influences how people think and behave. It was a bit of an ‘aha’ moment — I realized there was something really important here. Since then, I’ve been deeply involved in trying to understand how inequality impacts how we treat others, work together, compete, and, ultimately, how it erodes social cohesion.”
“Now, my work is part of a larger and growing body of research that’s showing how high levels of inequality might be breaking down the very cohesion we need in society,” Kirkland explained. “And that’s a big problem. Our future is going to be filled with challenges that require us to work together — whether it’s tackling climate change or addressing the threats of pandemics.”
The researchers began by analyzing a massive dataset of six billion tweets from 2012 to 2020. To identify tweets containing moral content, the researchers used a specialized dictionary of moral words. This dictionary was categorized into several moral foundations, such as harm, fairness, loyalty, authority, and purity, and included both virtue-related words (e.g., “help”) and vice-related words (e.g., “hurt”). The tweets were then geolocated to specific cities in the United States, which allowed the researchers to analyze the data at the city level.
To measure economic inequality in these cities, the researchers used the Gini index, a commonly used indicator that ranges from 0 (perfect equality) to 1 (maximum inequality). They also gathered data on several control variables, such as local economic conditions (measured by Gross Domestic Product, or GDP), levels of religiosity, and political orientation, to ensure that the effects they observed were truly related to inequality and not other factors.
The researchers applied statistical models, specifically negative binomial generalized linear mixed models, to examine the relationship between the level of economic inequality in each city and the frequency of moral language used in tweets. By controlling for the total volume of tweets and including random effects to account for variations by year and location, they were able to isolate the impact of economic inequality on moral language.
The findings revealed a clear relationship between economic inequality and the use of moral language on Twitter. Cities with higher levels of inequality were associated with a greater frequency of tweets containing moral words. This relationship held across all categories of moral language, including both virtue and vice words, and across different moral foundations.
The effect of economic inequality on moral language persisted over time. For instance, higher inequality in a given year predicted an increase in the use of moral words in tweets the following year. Even after controlling for factors like GDP, religiosity, and political orientation, the link between inequality and moral language remained significant.
“I was surprised by how robust some of our effects were, especially when analyzing the use of moral words on Twitter,” Kirkland told PsyPost. “It didn’t seem to matter how we categorized these words—whether they related to authority, harm, or fairness—high inequality was consistently linked to an increase in moral dialogue online.”
Next, the researchers expanded their investigation to a global scale, surveying participants from 41 regions across 35 countries. A total of 6,665 participants were recruited, primarily from university samples, and asked to complete a questionnaire that measured their moral judgments. The participants were presented with various scenarios, known as Clifford vignettes, which depicted actions that could be judged on moral grounds, such as harming others, violating fairness, or breaking loyalty. Participants rated how morally wrong they found each scenario on a scale from 1 (not at all wrong) to 5 (extremely wrong).
The researchers also collected data on the objective level of economic inequality in each country using the Gini index, as well as participants’ subjective perceptions of inequality in their society. Additionally, they measured participants’ perceptions of anomie—the belief that social norms and standards are breaking down—and controlled for various demographic factors, such as age, gender, religiosity, and political orientation.
The results indicated that higher economic inequality, both objective and perceived, was associated with harsher moral judgments across a wide range of scenarios. This relationship was observed at both the country level and within countries, suggesting that people in more unequal societies are generally more critical and judgmental of others’ behaviors.
Importantly, the study also found that perceptions of anomie — the belief that society’s social fabric is deteriorating — played a significant role in mediating the relationship between economic inequality and moral judgments. In other words, people who perceived higher levels of inequality were more likely to feel that social norms were breaking down, and this sense of societal disorder was linked to harsher moral judgments.
“What the average person should take away from our study is that rising economic inequality might be doing more than just widening the gap between the rich and poor — it could also be making us more judgmental and divisive,” Kirkland said. “As inequality grows, people may start feeling like the social fabric that holds us together is unraveling, leading them to take stronger moral stances in an attempt to regain control. While this might seem like a way to bring order, it can actually deepen divisions, making it harder for us to work together on the big challenges our society faces, like climate change and pandemics. Understanding this connection between inequality and moralization is crucial if we want to address the root causes of our growing societal divides.”
But the study, like all research, has some caveats.
“While these findings are compelling, it’s important to note that we don’t yet have experimental evidence to definitively prove that high inequality causes changes in moralization,” Kirkland explained. “Currently, our conclusions are based primarily on correlational data. However, we did analyze time-series data from Twitter, which showed that rising inequality seems to precede an increase in moral language online. This suggests a possible link, but confirming it through experimental research is a crucial next step.”
“We have a lot of plans for the future of this work. Our first goal is to replicate our findings. We’re currently doing that with a new dataset spanning 44 countries, where we’ll explore whether high inequality not only influences how harshly we judge others’ actions but also our desire to punish them and how we assess their overall character (e.g., whether their actions make them a “bad” person).”
“Beyond replication, we aim to extend this research to examine how other societal-level threats—such as pathogens, political upheaval, climatic disasters, and food shortages—might influence people’s moral perspectives. Specifically, we’re interested in whether greater exposure to these threats leads people to adopt more extreme and defensive moral stances, potentially fueling polarization in society.”
“One thing that often goes unnoticed in public conversation is that economic inequality isn’t just about who has more money — it’s about much more than that,” Kirkland added. “Numerous studies have shown that inequality has profound effects on the social and political fabric of society. As we witness more instances of extremism and polarization around the world, it’s crucial to recognize that inequality may be a factor simmering beneath the surface, potentially contributing to these issues.”
The study, “(https://academic.oup.com/pnasnexus/article/3/7/pgae221/7687932) High economic inequality is linked to greater moralization,” was authored by Kelly Kirkland, Paul A M Van Lange, Drew Gorenz, Khandis Blake, Catherine E Amiot, Liisi Ausmees, Peter Baguma, Oumar Barry, Maja Becker, Michal Bilewicz, Watcharaporn Boonyasiriwat, Robert W Booth, Thomas Castelain, Giulio Costantini, Girts Dimdins, Agustín Espinosa, Gillian Finchilescu, Ronald Fischer, Malte Friese, Ángel Gómez, Roberto González, Nobuhiko Goto, Peter Halama, Camilo Hurtado-Parrado, Ruby D Ilustrisimo, Gabriela M Jiga-Boy, Peter Kuppens, Steve Loughnan, Khairul A Mastor, Neil McLatchie, Lindsay M Novak, Blessing N Onyekachi, Muhammad Rizwan, Mark Schaller, Eleonora Serafimovska, Eunkook M Suh, William B Swann, Jr., Eddie M W Tong, Ana Torres, Rhiannon N Turner, Christin-Melanie Vauclair, Alexander Vinogradov, Zhechen Wang, Victoria Wai Lan Yeung, and Brock Bastian.

(https://www.psypost.org/new-autism-research-sheds-light-on-how-exercise-boosts-brain-function/) New autism research sheds light on how exercise boosts brain function
Aug 13th 2024, 08:00

A new study published in the journal (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0031938424001835) Physiology & Behavior has found that adolescent rats modeled with autism-like symptoms showed significant improvements in brain function and cognitive abilities after regular treadmill exercise. These findings suggest that even low-intensity exercise could offer benefits for individuals with autism spectrum disorder, potentially enhancing cognitive flexibility through changes at the molecular level.
Autism spectrum disorder is a complex condition that affects about 1 in 36 children, impacting their ability to communicate, interact socially, and adapt to changes. Many individuals with autism also struggle with cognitive flexibility, which is the ability to switch between thinking about different concepts or to think about multiple concepts simultaneously. Previous studies have shown that aerobic exercise can improve cognitive function in various neurological conditions, including autism. However, the exact biological processes that drive these improvements are not well understood.
The researchers were particularly interested in the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a protein that supports the survival of existing neurons and encourages the growth of new neurons and synapses. BDNF is crucial for learning and memory and is known to be influenced by physical activity. The study also focused on two other molecules, irisin and interleukin-6 (IL-6), which are produced during exercise and have been linked to brain health. The goal was to see if exercise could regulate these molecules in a way that improves cognitive function in autism-modeled rats.
“Autism spectrum disorder is a prevalent neurodevelopmental disorder and finding ways to regulate brain function to reduce symptoms is important for many individuals and their families,” said study author (https://orgcentral.k-state.edu/plakkelab/home/) Bethany Plakke, an assistant professor at Kansas State University. “We hypothesized that exercise may be an additional intervention that could be used to increase levels of BDNF, which is a protein associated with synaptic maintenance and plasticity. Regulating these at the molecular level can lead to improved cognitive outcomes and that is what we observed in our study.”
The researchers used a well-established animal model to simulate autism-like behaviors in rats. They injected pregnant rats with valproic acid (VPA), a substance known to increase the risk of autism-like symptoms in the offspring. The resulting offspring exhibited behaviors and brain characteristics similar to those observed in humans with autism.
Upon reaching adolescence, the rats were divided into groups, with some receiving regular treadmill exercise while others remained sedentary. The exercise regimen consisted of running on a treadmill for 30 minutes a day, five days a week, for four weeks. The intensity of the exercise was low to moderate, making it a manageable routine that could easily be translated into human contexts.
To assess the impact of exercise on cognitive function, the researchers used a set-shifting task, which is analogous to the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test used in humans. This task measures cognitive flexibility by requiring the rats to switch between different types of stimuli (such as odors and digging media) to receive a reward. The number of errors made and the time taken to complete the task were recorded and analyzed.
After the behavioral tests, the researchers examined the rats’ brains to measure the levels of BDNF, irisin, and IL-6 in key regions associated with cognitive function, such as the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex. They also analyzed antioxidant enzymes in the rats’ skeletal muscles, as these are important markers of overall physical health and could provide insights into how exercise affects the body’s resistance to stress.
The study revealed key differences in how exercise affected the rats, depending on their sex and whether they were exposed to VPA. For female rats, exercise had a notably positive impact on cognitive flexibility. The female rats that exercised performed better in the later phases of the set-shifting task, indicating improved cognitive flexibility compared to their sedentary counterparts. This improvement was particularly evident in the final stages of the task, where both control and VPA-exposed females showed a significant reduction in errors after exercise.
In contrast, the male rats showed a more complex response to exercise. While exercise improved performance in some aspects of the set-shifting task, it also appeared to impair performance in the most challenging phase of the task for both control and VPA-exposed males. Interestingly, despite these setbacks, exercised male rats — especially those exposed to VPA — still formed an attentional set, a key marker of cognitive learning. This suggests that while exercise may have introduced some challenges for the males, it also reinforced their ability to learn and adhere to rules during the task.
“We were not expecting exercise to differentially impact males and females,” Plakke told PsyPost. “Our prior work found exercise benefited both sexes. However, in this study we began exercise at a young age, and we hypothesize that in young males there was an interaction where an additional stressor, the exercise, could have reduced benefits cognitively. Other researchers have found stress can impact cognition in young males more than in females.”
On a molecular level, exercise significantly increased the levels of BDNF in the hippocampus of both male and female rats. For the VPA-exposed females, exercise brought BDNF levels up to those of the control group, effectively rescuing the deficits caused by VPA exposure. In males, exercise consistently elevated BDNF levels, regardless of whether they were exposed to VPA or not. These findings suggest that exercise may enhance cognitive function by promoting brain plasticity through increased BDNF expression.
The study also found that exercise influenced the levels of irisin and IL-6 in the rats’ brains. In female rats, exercise decreased irisin levels in control animals but slightly increased them in VPA-exposed animals. In males, exercise increased IL-6 levels in the hippocampus, a response that was observed in both control and VPA-exposed groups. These changes suggest that the relationship between exercise and these molecules may differ between males and females, possibly due to differences in how their bodies and brains respond to physical activity.
Additionally, the researchers observed that exercise improved motor coordination in all rats, as evidenced by better performance on the rotarod test, a standard measure of motor skills. This improvement in motor function was accompanied by increased levels of antioxidant enzymes in the skeletal muscles of VPA-exposed rats, suggesting that exercise not only benefits the brain but also enhances overall physical health.
“Exercise is beneficial for the brain and body,” Plakke said. “Our paper suggests it assists with improving BDNF regulation in the hippocampus as well as improved cognitive performance, even in young animals. It also demonstrates that antioxidants were upregulated in the muscle of the animal model of ASD-phenotypes, even with low intensity exercise, which suggests that for those with ASD physical exercise may assist with cellular regulation of the muscles. Muscular antioxidants released during exercise can also circulate back to the brain and impact brain function.”
The use of an animal model of autism offers several important advantages, particularly when it comes to studying the underlying molecular and cellular mechanisms. These models allow researchers to manipulate and observe specific biological processes in ways that would be ethically or practically impossible in human subjects. For example, by using rodents, scientists can control for environmental variables, apply precise genetic modifications, and directly measure brain activity or molecular changes in specific regions.
However, while animal models provide a powerful tool for understanding the biology of autism, they come with inherent limitations. Rodents, despite their genetic and physiological similarities to humans, have significant differences in brain structure, behavior, and cognitive abilities. These differences mean that findings in animal models may not fully translate to human conditions.
Another caveat to note is that the exercise was forced, rather than voluntary, which could have introduced stress. “We used treadmills which may involve additional stress compared to voluntary wheel running,” Plakke noted. “However, this meant that all animals performed the same amount of exercise daily.”
Nevertheless, the findings provide evidence that even moderate exercise can lead to significant molecular changes in the brain, which in turn can enhance cognitive abilities. Looking forward, these findings could inform the development of targeted exercise-based interventions that may be tailored to specific neurodevelopmental conditions, potentially leading to more personalized and effective treatments for cognitive impairments associated with disorders like autism.
“Our lab is using multiple models of neurodevelopmental disorders to try and understand changes in brain function,” Plakke explained. “We have funded projects examining the changes in prefrontal function that impact cognition and are using different recording techniques to be able to compare the neural signature of the brain between animals and humans (local field potentials). The goal is to understand when the signature is different across various cognitive demands and then test if a treatment can rescue the neural signal.”
The study, “(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2024.114638) Adolescent treadmill exercise enhances hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) expression and improves cognition in autism-modeled rats,” was authored by Cole King, Liza G. Rogers, Jeremy Jansen, Bhavana Sivayokan, Jenna Neyhard, Ellie Warnes, Stephanie E. Hall, and Bethany Plakke.

(https://www.psypost.org/prenatal-exposure-to-cbd-and-thc-is-linked-to-concerning-brain-changes/) Prenatal exposure to CBD and THC is linked to concerning brain changes
Aug 13th 2024, 06:00

As the legal and social acceptance of cannabis continues to grow, so does its use among pregnant women. Many expectant mothers turn to cannabis to alleviate pregnancy-related symptoms, believing it to be a natural and safe remedy. However, a recent study published in the journal (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nbd.2024.106588) Neurobiology of Disease suggests that prenatal exposure to cannabis, particularly its primary components Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD), can have significant long-term effects on brain development and behavior in rodents.
The study found that prenatal exposure to THC, CBD, or a combination of both can lead to reduced birth size, behavioral changes during adolescence, and disrupted neuronal activity in key brain regions. These findings provide insights into how cannabis constituents impact fetal brain development and highlight potential risks associated with prenatal cannabis use.
Previous studies have linked prenatal cannabis exposure to low birth weight, cognitive deficits, and a higher risk of neuropsychiatric disorders. However, there is a lack of detailed understanding of the specific neuronal and molecular mechanisms underlying these effects and how different cannabis constituents might contribute to these outcomes.
“With the growing popularity and evolving legal landscape surrounding cannabis, there is a growing trend of cannabis consumption during pregnancy. Many believe that using cannabis while pregnant is safe and can help alleviate symptoms like morning sickness, pain, stress, and anxiety,” explained study author Marieka DeVuono, a postdoctoral associate from the Addiction Research Group in the Anatomy and Cell Biology department at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University.
“This trend can be concerning since cannabis use can disrupt the function of the endocannabinoid system, which plays a crucial role in early brain development and could potentially lead to long-term neurodevelopmental consequences. While research has mainly focused on the psychoactive component of cannabis, THC, there is a lack of research on CBD, a non-intoxicating compound found in cannabis that is often promoted as having various health benefits and believed to mitigate against the adverse effects of THC, highlighting the need for further investigation.”
The researchers utilized a rat model to study the effects of prenatal cannabinoid exposure. Pregnant rats were administered daily doses of THC, CBD, or a combination of both from the 7th day of gestation until birth. The doses were chosen to mimic concentrations found in human fetal tissues exposed to cannabis during pregnancy.
After birth, the researchers tracked the development of the offspring, focusing on body and brain weights at different stages. In adolescence, the offspring underwent a series of behavioral tests to assess anxiety, cognition, social interaction, and sensorimotor gating. These tests included the Elevated Plus Maze, Open Field Test, Temporal Order Novel Object Recognition, and Pre-Pulse Inhibition of startle.
One of the key findings was the impact of prenatal cannabinoid exposure on birth size. Offspring exposed to THC, CBD, or THC + CBD during gestation were born with significantly lower body weights, indicative of fetal growth restriction.
However, by early adolescence, these offspring showed compensatory growth, with no significant differences in body or brain weights compared to control groups. This catch-up growth, although seemingly beneficial, may have implications for long-term health, as it has been associated with metabolic and cardiovascular issues later in life.
Behaviorally, the study found pronounced sex-specific differences in response to prenatal cannabinoid exposure. Male offspring exposed to the combination of THC and CBD displayed impulsivity-like behavior, spending more time in the open arms of the Elevated Plus Maze, which indicates reduced anxiety but increased impulsivity.
On the other hand, female offspring exposed to CBD or the combination of THC and CBD exhibited increased anxiety-like behavior, spending less time in the open arms. Additionally, both male and female offspring showed impairments in memory and social recognition, with males primarily affected by THC and females by CBD.
The researchers also found that neuronal activity was altered by prenatal exposure to these cannabinoids. In the prefrontal cortex, both male and female offspring exposed to CBD showed reduced firing frequency and bursting activity of pyramidal neurons. This reduction in neuronal activity was more pronounced in males when exposed to the combination of THC and CBD.
In the ventral hippocampus, THC-exposed males demonstrated increased neuronal activity. These changes in neuronal activity were accompanied by alterations in gene expression related to the endocannabinoid, glutamatergic, GABAergic, and dopaminergic systems, which are critical for maintaining the balance of excitatory and inhibitory signaling in the brain.
“Exposure to THC, CBD, and the combination of THC and CBD during prenatal development all resulted in long-term changes in behavior and altered brain activity in the prefrontal cortex and ventral hippocampus, which are important brain regions for emotional and cognitive development,” DeVuono told PsyPost. “In contrast to popular belief, CBD did not counteract the effects of THC and even produced its own effects on brain development. These findings suggest that prenatal cannabis has the potential to negatively impact neurodevelopment.”
Some previous research has found that CBD can counteract the effects of THC by modulating cannabinoid and serotonin receptors. The researchers were surprised to find that CBD did not mitigate THC’s effects in their study. Instead, the combination of THC and CBD led to more pronounced consequences.
“It was unexpected that CBD alone had such significant effects on the adolescent offspring in our study, and when combined with THC, it resulted in the most consequences for the offspring, despite the initial expectation that it would counteract the effects of THC,” DeVuono explained.
“Additionally, there were noticeable differences in how male and female offspring were affected by THC and CBD. Male offspring were overall more affected by prenatal cannabinoid exposure, while females appeared to be more vulnerable to CBD exposure. This difference may be related to the effects on serotonin systems, which were only observed in female offspring exposed to CBD. However, further research is still needed to fully understand the implications of these findings.”
The findings challenge the conception of cannabis as a safe option during pregnancy. Future studies could also investigate other brain regions and systems affected by prenatal cannabinoid exposure. Long-term studies following offspring into adulthood would also help determine whether these early neuropsychiatric changes persist and how they might interact with other environmental factors.
“Our future research will focus on testing various doses and ratios of THC and CBD, as we didn’t study a wide range in the current research, as well as examining the possible mechanisms for the long-term effects that were identified in this study,” DeVuono said. “In an effort to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the risks associated with cannabis during pregnancy we will continue to examine more brain regions and other effects outside of the brain like heart function, energy metabolism, and placental development. This will help us better understand the risks linked with using it.”
The study, “(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0969996124001888) Prenatal tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol exposure produce sex-specific pathophysiological phenotypes in the adolescent prefrontal cortex and hippocampus,” was authored by Marieka V. DeVuono, Mina G. Nashed, Mohammed H. Sarikahya, Andrea Kocsis, Kendrick Lee, Sebastian R. Vanin, Roger Hudson, Eryn P. Lonnee, Walter J. Rushlow, Daniel B. Hardy, and Steven R. Laviolette, with funding from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the Canada First Research Excellence Fund BrainsCAN postdoctoral fellowship.

(https://www.psypost.org/new-study-reveals-14-modifiable-risk-factors-that-could-reduce-dementia-risk-by-nearly-half/) New study reveals 14 modifiable risk factors that could reduce dementia risk by nearly half
Aug 12th 2024, 16:00

Nearly half of all dementia cases could be delayed or prevented altogether by addressing 14 possible risk factors, including vision loss and high cholesterol.
That is (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(24)01296-0) the key finding of a new study that we and our colleagues published in the journal The Lancet.
(https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-dementia) Dementia, a rapidly increasing global challenge, affects an estimated 57 million worldwide, and this number is expected to increase to (https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(19)30411-9) 153 million by 2050 worldwide. Although the (https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(19)30411-9) prevalence of dementia is on the decline in high-income countries, it continues to (https://doi.org/10.1002/alz.13025) increase in low- and middle-income countries.
This third updated report of the Lancet Commission on Dementia offers good news and a strong message: Policymakers, clinicians, individuals and families can be ambitious about prevention and reduce dementia risk; and for those living with dementia and their caregivers, support their quality of life using evidence-based approaches.
The new report confirms 12 previously identified potentially modifiable risk factors from two previous reports, (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31363-6) published in 2017 and (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30367-6) 2020. It also offers new evidence supporting two additional modifiable risk factors: vision loss and (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20350806) high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, often called “bad” cholesterol.
Our study of published evidence found that collectively, addressing 14 modifiable risk factors could potentially reduce the prevalence of dementia by 45% worldwide. Even greater risk reductions could be possible in low- and middle-income countries and for people with low income in higher-income countries given the (https://doi.org/10.1016/s2214-109x(19)30074-9) higher prevalence of dementia, health disparities and risk factors in these populations.
The report further indicates that reducing these 14 risks can increase the number of healthy years of life and reduce the length of time with poor health in people with dementia.
Additionally, the report cites clinical trials showing that nonpharmacological approaches, such as using activities tailored to interests and abilities, can (https://doi.org/10.1093/geroni/igab046.3354) reduce dementia-related symptoms and improve quality of life.
We are a (https://depts.washington.edu/mbwc/about/profile/eric-larson) general internist and an (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=83tGxuAAAAAJ&hl=en) applied sociologist and intervention scientist, and our work focuses on memory and wellness in older adults. Together with 25 other internationally recognized dementia experts under the leadership of psychiatry professor (https://profiles.ucl.ac.uk/2473) Dr. Gill Livingston, we carefully reviewed the evidence to derive recommendations for prevention, intervention and care.
Why it matters
The rapid growth of aging populations worldwide is a triumph of better public and personal health throughout the entire life span. Yet, given the lack of a dementia cure, this (https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/themes/global-dementia-observatory-gdo/) report highlights the importance of prevention as well as supporting quality of life for those with a dementia diagnosis.
In the new report, our team proposed an ambitious program for preventing dementia that could be implemented at the individual, community and policy levels and across the life span from early life through mid and late life. The key points include:

In early life, improving general education.
In midlife, addressing hearing loss, high LDL cholesterol, depression, traumatic brain injury, physical inactivity, diabetes, smoking, hypertension, obesity and excessive alcohol.
In later life, reducing social isolation, air pollution and vision loss.

Together, these add up to the Lancet Commission on Dementia’s estimate that 45% of dementia risk can be reduced. And an abundance of new research shows that when risk factors are addressed, such as exposure to air pollution, they are linked with (https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.0000000000201419) improved cognition and likely reduction of dementia risk.
New evidence supports the notion that in high-income countries, reducing dementia risk can translate to more healthy years, years free of dementia and a shorter duration of ill health for people who develop dementia.
What still isn’t known
The 45% reduction in dementia risk across the world’s population is based on a calculation that assumes that risk factors are causal and can be eliminated. It shows how dementia prevention is critical and the impact it would have on individuals and families.
The commission emphasized the need for more research to identify additional risk factors, test risk factor changes in clinical trials, provide guidance for public health efforts, and identify and evaluate strategies for implementing and scaling evidence-based programs that support people with dementia and caregivers.
The updated report has worldwide public health and research impact and is being widely disseminated. It serves as a guideline to clinicians and policymakers and outlines new research directions.

This article is republished from (https://theconversation.com) The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the (https://theconversation.com/dementia-risk-factors-identified-in-new-global-report-are-all-preventable-addressing-them-could-reduce-dementia-rates-by-45-236290) original article.

(https://www.psypost.org/new-research-links-low-resource-neighborhoods-to-increased-adhd-in-autistic-youth/) New research links low-resource neighborhoods to increased ADHD in autistic youth
Aug 12th 2024, 14:00

Autistic children who are born in underserved neighborhoods are more likely to exhibit heightened symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) during mid-childhood and adolescence compared to those born in more resource-rich areas, according to new research published in the journal (https://doi.org/10.1002/jcv2.12267) JCPP Advances. This study is the first to explore how neighborhood factors are associated with ADHD symptoms in both autistic and non-autistic children, offering new insights into the potential interplay between environmental conditions and mental health in neurodiverse populations.
Autism, known formally as autism spectrum disorder, is a neurodevelopmental condition that affects how individuals communicate, interact socially, and process information. Autism presents a wide range of symptoms and levels of impairment, from challenges in social communication and repetitive behaviors to exceptional abilities in specific areas. The core characteristics of autism generally emerge in early childhood and persist throughout life, shaping how individuals perceive and interact with the world around them.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, is another neurodevelopmental disorder, but it is characterized by persistent patterns of inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. These symptoms can lead to difficulties in academic, occupational, and social settings. ADHD is typically diagnosed in childhood, although its symptoms can continue into adulthood, sometimes leading to significant life challenges if not properly managed.
While autism and ADHD are distinct conditions, they often coexist. A substantial proportion of autistic children also exhibit symptoms of ADHD, which can complicate diagnosis, treatment, and daily functioning. For these children, the presence of both conditions can lead to more significant challenges, including greater difficulties in school, more pronounced behavioral issues, and more complex needs in terms of support and interventions.
The need for the study arises from the growing recognition that environmental factors, including the neighborhoods where children grow up, play a crucial role in their development. While genetics undoubtedly contribute to both autism and ADHD, the environments in which children live can exacerbate or mitigate the severity of these conditions. Previous research has shown that factors like family socioeconomic status and parental stress are linked to ADHD symptoms, but less attention has been paid to the broader neighborhood environment.
To address this knowledge gap, the researchers utilized data from two large-scale, ongoing studies: the CHARGE (Childhood Autism Risks from Genetics and the Environment) Study and the ReCHARGE follow-up study. These studies provided a rich source of data on children with autism, children with developmental delays without autism, and typically developing children, all of whom were initially assessed between the ages of 2 and 5 years and then re-evaluated during mid-childhood to adolescence, between the ages of 8 and 20 years.
A key component of the study was the use of the Child Opportunity Index 2.0 (COI), a tool that measures neighborhood environments across three domains: Education, Health and Environment, and Social and Economic factors. This index captures a wide range of indicators, such as the presence of early childhood education centers, access to green spaces, median household income, and employment rates, providing a detailed picture of the neighborhood conditions at the time of each child’s birth.
ADHD symptoms were measured using the Aberrant Behavior Checklist (ABC), a well-established assessment tool specifically designed for children with neurodevelopmental disorders. The researchers focused on the Hyperactivity subscale of the ABC, which is indicative of ADHD symptoms. By comparing these symptoms across the different groups of children — those with autism, those with developmental delays but without autism, and typically developing children — the researchers aimed to uncover how neighborhood conditions at birth impacted ADHD symptoms as the children grew older.
The researchers discovered that children born in neighborhoods with lower opportunity, as measured by the COI, were more likely to exhibit higher ADHD symptoms during mid-childhood and adolescence. This relationship was particularly strong in autistic children, who showed a greater sensitivity to the influence of neighborhood environments compared to children with developmental delays without autism and typically developing children. Notably, while both autistic and typically developing children experienced ADHD symptoms, those in the lowest opportunity neighborhoods had significantly higher symptoms.
“We found that some neighborhood factors are strongly related to ADHD symptoms in autistic children,” said Catrina Calub, the first author on the paper. Calub is a postdoctoral researcher in the laboratory of Julie Schweitzer, a professor in the UC Davis Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and the MIND Institute.
“In this study, we didn’t find this effect in typically developing kids or in kids with other developmental disabilities, only in the autistic children. It suggests that when autistic kids live in neighborhoods with fewer resources, they tend to have more pronounced ADHD symptoms,” Calub said.
Further analysis revealed that the Social and Economic domain of the COI was the strongest predictor of ADHD symptoms in autistic children. This domain includes factors such as household income, employment rates, and the proportion of single-parent households — indicators of the economic health and social support within a neighborhood. The study found that while there were no significant differences in ADHD symptoms between autistic children from high and low opportunity neighborhoods during early childhood, by mid-childhood to adolescence, those from low-opportunity neighborhoods exhibited significantly higher ADHD symptoms.
“These results are quite concerning,” Calub said. “Those with both autism and ADHD are already more likely to have additional challenges — behaviorally, cognitively, emotionally and socially. Being born in a low-income neighborhood puts them at an even greater disadvantage. This just adds to the evidence that more resources are needed for underserved areas and specifically for those who have conditions like autism.”
Calub emphasized that further research is necessary to determine whether these findings can be generalized to a broader population.
“It will be important for future studies to be larger and more diverse. That should help us learn whether neighborhood conditions might also influence ADHD symptoms in other groups such as youth without autism, or in Black, Asian and Native American individuals, who were under-represented in our sample,” Calub added.
Schweitzer, a co-author of the study, noted that these findings provide insights for developing targeted preventive strategies to reduce the risk of heightened ADHD symptoms.
“ADHD is highly prevalent in the general population and is common in autistic youth. If we can find ways to increase resources in these neighborhoods, we have the potential to improve academic, social, mental and physical health outcomes, particularly for autistic youth, and also decrease long-term economic costs,” Schweitzer explained.
The study, “(https://acamh.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcv2.12267) Examining the association of neighborhood conditions on attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms in autistic youth using the child opportunity index 2.0,” was authored by Catrina A. Calub, Irva Hertz-Picciotto, Deborah Bennett, and Julie B. Schweitzer.

(https://www.psypost.org/twin-study-sheds-light-on-what-influences-shifts-in-political-ideology/) Twin study sheds light on what influences shifts in political ideology
Aug 12th 2024, 12:00

While both genetic and environmental factors play a role in the stability of political ideology, changes in these beliefs over time are largely driven by environmental influences, according to a recent study published in the journal (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S019188692400237X) Personality and Individual Differences. The study’s findings offer a nuanced view of how our political views are formed, maintained, and transformed, shedding light on the enduring debate over nature versus nurture in shaping our beliefs.
The motivation behind this study lies in a long-standing question in psychology and political science: Why do some people maintain consistent political views throughout their lives, while others change their beliefs? Previous research has established that political ideology is influenced by both environmental factors, such as life experiences and socialization, and genetic factors, with studies suggesting that approximately 40% of the variation in political ideology can be attributed to genetic factors.
However, less is known about what drives changes in these beliefs over time. This study aimed to fill that gap by examining the relative contributions of genetics and environment to both the stability and change of political ideology.
To explore the stability and change in political ideology over time, the researchers utilized data from the Danish Twin Registry, the world’s oldest nationwide twin registry. The study included 2,471 pairs of twins who were surveyed at three different points in time: 2009, 2012, and 2019. The participants, who were born between 1970 and 1989, provided responses to a series of questions designed to measure their social and economic ideologies.
The twin study design is particularly valuable in this context because it allows researchers to disentangle the effects of genetics (by comparing monozygotic, or identical, twins who share 100% of their genes, with dizygotic, or fraternal, twins who share about 50% of their genes) and environment on political beliefs. By comparing the similarities and differences in political attitudes between these two types of twins, the researchers could estimate the relative contributions of genetic and environmental factors to ideological stability and change.
The study measured social ideology through questions related to topics such as crime, homosexuality, and national customs, while economic ideology was assessed through questions about taxes, income inequality, and social reforms. The researchers combined these responses into indices representing overall social and economic ideologies, which were then analyzed using statistical models to understand how these attitudes changed over the ten-year period and what factors influenced these changes.
The study’s findings reveal a complex picture of how political ideologies develop and change over time. The researchers found that both genetics and environment contribute to the stability of social and economic ideologies. In other words, whether a person’s political views remain consistent over time is influenced by both their genetic predispositions and the environment they are exposed to, including family upbringing, socialization, and life experiences.
However, when it comes to changes in ideology over time, the study found that environmental factors are the primary drivers. For social ideology, the shared environment—factors that twins experience together, such as parental influence and the broader social environment—was the key factor in explaining changes. This suggests that shifts in social beliefs are more likely to be influenced by collective experiences shared within families or communities.
In contrast, changes in economic ideology were influenced by both shared and unique environmental factors. Unique environmental factors are experiences that differ between twins, such as individual life events like unemployment or personal interactions that one twin might have but the other does not. This finding indicates that changes in economic beliefs may be more susceptible to personal experiences and individual circumstances.
Interestingly, the study found no evidence that genetic factors play a role in the changes in political ideology over time. While genetic predispositions contribute to where people start in terms of their ideological leanings, these predispositions do not seem to influence how or whether their beliefs change over time.
“Put simply, changes in social ideology appear to be attributable to common environmental factors (e.g., socialization and peer group influences), while changes in economic ideology are affected by both the shared and nonshared experiences of twins. Overall, while ideological starting values (i.e., the propensity to hold left or right leaning attitudes) are affected by genetic predispositions, our results illustrate that changes in these attitudes are not,” the researchers wrote.
While this study provides new insights into the factors that contribute to the stability and change of political ideology, it also has some limitations that future research could address. One limitation is the study’s focus on a specific population — Danish twins — who are relatively homogenous in terms of ethnicity and cultural background. This raises the question of whether the findings would be the same in more diverse populations or in different cultural contexts.
“We need more research on the extent to which our findings generalize to other contexts,” the researchers said. “Are the relationships between biologically informed starting values and socially generated changes a general feature or specific to the Danish context? Understanding this could help bridge the divide between different schools of thought on how attitudes form and change over time and could help provide a better understanding of the role of contextual factors in shaping attitude stability and change.”
The study, “(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2024.112777) Genetic and environmental influences on the stability of political attitudes,” was authored by Stig Hebbelstrup Rye Rasmussen, Aaron Weinschenk, Aleksander Ksiazkiewicz, Jacob von Bornemann Hjelmborg, Asbjørn Sonne Nørgaard, and Robert Klemmensen.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed