Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Wed Nov 22 11:55:03 PST 2023

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/changes_in_oral_and_anal_sex_with_opposite_sex-3-aspx/) Changes in Oral and Anal Sex With Opposite-Sex Partners Among Sexually Active Females and Males Aged 15 to 44 Years in the United States: National Survey of Family Growth, 2011–2019
Nov 22nd 2023, 14:08

Background
Oral and anal sex with opposite-sex partners is common and associated with sexually transmitted infection (STI) transmission. Trends in these behaviors over the last decade, during which bacterial STI diagnoses have reached historic highs while HIV diagnoses have decreased, are not well understood. We examined recent trends in oral and anal sex and associated condom use with opposite-sex partners among females and males.
Methods
We analyzed data from 16,926 female and 13,533 male respondents aged 15 to 44 years who reported sex with an opposite-sex partner in the past 12 months from the National Survey of Family Growth, 2011–2019. We used survey-weighted linear or logistic regression to evaluate linear temporal trends in oral and anal sex behaviors.
Results
>From 2011–2013 to 2017–2019, reports of oral sex and number of oral sex partners in the past 12 months increased among females (85.4% in 2011–2013 to 89.4% in 2017–2019; odds ratio [OR], 1.05 [95% confidence interval {CI}, 1.02–1.09], and β = 0.014 [95% CI, 0.005–0.023]; respectively) but not males (ranges, 87.9%–89.1%; 1.27–1.31). Condom use at last oral sex decreased among both females and males (6.3%–4.3%: OR, 0.93 [95% CI, 0.88–0.99]; 5.9%–4.4%: OR, 0.95 [95% CI, 0.91–1.00]). Anal sex (ranges, 21.0%–23.3% [females] and 23.3%–24.6% [males]), number of anal sex partners (females, 0.22–0.25; males, 0.26–0.30), and condom use at last anal sex (females, 15.3%–18.2%; males, 27.0%–28.7%) remained stable.
Conclusions
The frequency of oral and anal sex with opposite-sex partners among U.S. 15- to 44-year-olds, paired with limited and—for oral sex—decreasing condom use, demonstrates the need to understand the role of these behaviors in increasing STI diagnosis rates and the potential role of extragenital screening and condoms in reducing STI transmission.
(https://journals.lww.com/stdjournal/fulltext/2023/11000/changes_in_oral_and_anal_sex_with_opposite_sex.3.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/changes_in_oral_and_anal_sex_with_opposite_sex-3-aspx/) Changes in Oral and Anal Sex With Opposite-Sex Partners Among Sexually Active Females and Males Aged 15 to 44 Years in the United States: National Survey of Family Growth, 2011–2019 was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s13031-023-00548-3/) “There is a fear that you will be attacked just for the act of working in health”: a survey of experiences of violence against healthcare in Colombia
Nov 22nd 2023, 14:08

Colombia has experienced decades of conflict between the government and non-state actors. Attacks on healthcare have been a grave but regular facet of that violence. In response, the Misión Médica (MM) program…
(https://conflictandhealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13031-023-00548-3) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s13031-023-00548-3/) “There is a fear that you will be attacked just for the act of working in health”: a survey of experiences of violence against healthcare in Colombia was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s0272735823001113/) Cognitive behavioral therapies for depression and anxiety in people with chronic disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis
Nov 22nd 2023, 14:06

Publication date: December 2023
Source: Clinical Psychology Review, Volume 106
Author(s): Amelia J. Scott, Madelyne A. Bisby, Andreea I. Heriseanu, Yalda Salameh, Eyal Karin, Rhiannon Fogliati, Joanne Dudeney, Milena Gandy, Lauren F. McLellan, Bethany Wootton, Sarah McDonald, Ashleigh Correa, Nick Titov, Blake F. Dear
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272735823001113?dgcid=rss_sd_all) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s0272735823001113/) Cognitive behavioral therapies for depression and anxiety in people with chronic disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/telehealth_implementation_and_teaching_strategies-4-aspx/) Telehealth Implementation and Teaching Strategies During COVID-19 and Beyond in Gait, Balance, and Mobility Clinic for Community-Dwelling Older Adults
Nov 22nd 2023, 13:09

COVID-19 provided an opportunity to determine the effectiveness of telehealth physical therapy as part of a pro bono gait balance and mobility clinic. The aim of this case study is 2-folds—(1) to provide evidence for clinicians on telehealth physical therapy implementation while using mobile health platform and remote patient monitoring for a community-dwelling older adult with gait and balance disorder and (2) to provide evidence for clinical educators on telehealth-based teaching strategies to implement virtual clinical education for treating geriatric patient population. It is also important to note that this telehealth clinic model may be applicable outside of this patient population as well.
(https://journals.lww.com/topicsingeriatricrehabilitation/fulltext/2023/10000/telehealth_implementation_and_teaching_strategies.4.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/telehealth_implementation_and_teaching_strategies-4-aspx/) Telehealth Implementation and Teaching Strategies During COVID-19 and Beyond in Gait, Balance, and Mobility Clinic for Community-Dwelling Older Adults was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/who-cares-life-on-welfare-in-australia/) Who Cares? Life on Welfare in Australia
Nov 22nd 2023, 12:51

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/who-cares-life-on-welfare-in-australia/) Who Cares? Life on Welfare in Australia was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/insights-on-adolescent-brain-development-can-inform-better-youth-justice-policies/) Insights on Adolescent Brain Development Can Inform Better Youth Justice Policies
Nov 22nd 2023, 12:39

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/insights-on-adolescent-brain-development-can-inform-better-youth-justice-policies/) Insights on Adolescent Brain Development Can Inform Better Youth Justice Policies was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/pain_self_management_skills_self_efficacy_and-1-aspx/) Pain Self-Management Skills, Self-Efficacy, and Help-Seeking Tendencies Among African American Young Adults With Acute Pain
Nov 22nd 2023, 12:09

No abstract available
(https://journals.lww.com/topicsinpainmanagement/fulltext/2023/11000/pain_self_management_skills,_self_efficacy,_and.1.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/pain_self_management_skills_self_efficacy_and-1-aspx/) Pain Self-Management Skills, Self-Efficacy, and Help-Seeking Tendencies Among African American Young Adults With Acute Pain was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/e49416/) Twitter Misinformation Discourses About Vaping: Systematic Content Analysis
Nov 22nd 2023, 12:03

Background: While there has been substantial analysis of social media content deemed to spread misinformation about electronic nicotine delivery systems use, the strategic use of misinformation accusations to undermine opposing views has received limited attention. Objective: This study aims to fill this gap by analyzing how social media users discuss the topic of misinformation related to electronic nicotine delivery systems, notably vaping products. Additionally, this study identifies and analyzes the actors commonly blamed for spreading such misinformation and how these claims support both the provaping and antivaping narratives. Methods: Using Twitter’s (subsequently rebranded as X) academic application programming interface, we collected tweets referencing #vape and #vaping and keywords associated with fake news and misinformation. This study uses systematic content analysis to analyze the tweets and identify common themes and actors who discuss or possibly spread misinformation. Results: This study found that provape users dominate the platform regarding discussions about misinformation about vaping, with provaping tweets being more frequent and having higher overall user engagement. The most common narrative for provape tweets surrounds the conversation of vaping being perceived as safe. On the other hand, the most common topic from the antivape narrative is that vaping is indeed harmful. This study also points to a general distrust in authority figures, with news outlets, public health authorities, and political actors regularly accused of spreading misinformation, with both placing blame. However, specific actors differ depending on their positionalities. The vast number of accusations from provaping advocates is found to shape what is considered misinformation and works to silence other narratives. Additionally, allegations against reliable and proven sources, such as public health authorities, work to discredit assessments about the health impacts, which is detrimental to public health overall for both provaping and antivaping advocates. Conclusions: We conclude that the spread of misinformation and the accusations of misinformation dissemination using terms such as “fact check,” “misinformation,” “fake news,” and “disinformation” have become weaponized and co-opted by provaping actors to delegitimize criticisms about vaping and to increase confusion about the potential health risks. The study discusses the mixed types of impact of vaping on public health for both smokers and nonsmokers. Additionally, we discuss the implications for effective health education and communication about vaping and how misinformation claims can affect evidence-based discourse on Twitter as well as informed vaping decisions.
(https://www.jmir.org/2023/1/e49416/) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/e49416/) Twitter Misinformation Discourses About Vaping: Systematic Content Analysis was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/00208728231208003/) ‘Raising their voices’: Explaining the policy practice of minority social workers in multicultural societies
Nov 22nd 2023, 11:31

International Social Work, Ahead of Print. The present article presents empirical evidence regarding factors that explain the involvement of social workers from minority groups in policy practice based on data from an extensive survey of social workers from the Arab minority group in Israel (n = 218). The findings revealed that the sociopolitical context of an ethnic minority significantly affects their involvement in policy practice. In order to increase the involvement of minority social workers in policy arenas in multicultural societies, professional bodies and social work training frameworks should provide social workers with knowledge resources and professional skills, including tailored organizational support.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00208728231208003?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/00208728231208003/) ‘Raising their voices’: Explaining the policy practice of minority social workers in multicultural societies was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/cpb0000242/) Overlooked employees: Understanding the experiences of disability status and remote working in the wake of COVID-19.
Nov 22nd 2023, 11:11

Consulting Psychology Journal, Vol 75(3), Sep 2023, 240-257; doi:10.1037/cpb0000242
Although the shift to remote work brought about by COVID-19 serves as a critical event for most, workers with disabilities may be differentially impacted owing to the historical social exclusion of this population. Compounding this social exclusion with the lack of physical presence in the workplace, important questions arise related to disability and remote work—in particular, whether employees with disabilities may receive diminished help from others when working remotely (rather than in the workplace) and whether this diminished help is consequential for employee’s satisfaction with work. To address these questions, we leverage construal-level theory and social-exchange theory to suggest that being compelled to work in isolation from others has harmful consequences, including diminished help in the workplace and decreased job satisfaction. Using data from 329 employees, we found that employees with disabilities received diminished help from others when working from home and that this diminished help decreased satisfaction, but only in instances where these employees had high-quality relationships with their leaders. Altogether, this research offers novel theoretical insight into the experience of employees working both remotely and on-site during this health pandemic for both disability and nondisability populations, as well as practical advice for organizations on how best to be inclusive when external events impact the physical configurations of work. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2023 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/cpb0000242/) Overlooked employees: Understanding the experiences of disability status and remote working in the wake of COVID-19. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/dysart-will-nix-all-of-its-school-social-workers-next-year-as-if-thats-no-big-deal/) Dysart will nix all of its school social workers next year, as if that’s no big deal
Nov 22nd 2023, 10:27

The Dysart school board eliminated all social worker positions next year, suggesting office workers could simply do their jobs. They can’t.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/dysart-will-nix-all-of-its-school-social-workers-next-year-as-if-thats-no-big-deal/) Dysart will nix all of its school social workers next year, as if that’s no big deal was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/podcasts/beyond-polarization-where-we-are-today-2/) Beyond Polarization: Where We Are Today
Nov 22nd 2023, 10:21

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/podcasts/beyond-polarization-where-we-are-today-2/) Beyond Polarization: Where We Are Today was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/update_on_the_epidemiology_and_treatment_of_eating-2-aspx/) Update on the epidemiology and treatment of eating disorders among older people
Nov 22nd 2023, 10:11

Purpose of review
We reviewed the recent literature on the epidemiology and treatment of eating disorders among middle-aged and older women and men.
Recent findings
Recent studies show that among older female persons, the prevalence rates with full diagnoses of eating disorders based on DSM-IV or DSM-5 criteria are between 2.1 and 7.7%, and among older men less than 1%. These studies show that the prevalence of eating disorders decreases by age in women, but it does not get towards zero even in very high age. Middle age, with a peak around 50, is also a critical time for the occurrence of eating disorders in men. Women who reported severe menopausal symptoms showed more eating disorder pathology compared with those with low symptoms during menopausal transition.
Summary
Eating disorders do occur in middle and older age of both sexes. Shame and stigmatization have decreased, and medical awareness and explicit assessment of eating behavior in all age groups have developed. What puberty is for eating disorders in adolescence and young age is menopausal transition for midlife women. Also in men, associations with hormonal disturbances are possible. Treatment approaches should consider treatment strategies tailored to older women and men, addressing the context of midlife and aging.
(https://journals.lww.com/co-psychiatry/fulltext/2023/11000/update_on_the_epidemiology_and_treatment_of_eating.2.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/update_on_the_epidemiology_and_treatment_of_eating-2-aspx/) Update on the epidemiology and treatment of eating disorders among older people was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/quitting-smoking-the-latest-evidence-about-what-works/) Quitting smoking: the latest evidence about what works
Nov 22nd 2023, 10:08

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/quitting-smoking-the-latest-evidence-about-what-works/) Quitting smoking: the latest evidence about what works was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/apl0001093/) Humane orientation, work–family conflict, and positive spillover across cultures.
Nov 22nd 2023, 09:43

Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol 108(10), Oct 2023, 1573-1597; doi:10.1037/apl0001093
Although cross-national work–family research has made great strides in recent decades, knowledge accumulation on the impact of culture on the work–family interface has been hampered by a limited geographical and cultural scope that has excluded countries where cultural expectations regarding work, family, and support may differ. We advance this literature by investigating work–family relationships in a broad range of cultures, including understudied regions of the world (i.e., Sub-Saharan Africa, Southern Asia). We focus on humane orientation (HO), an overlooked cultural dimension that is however central to the study of social support and higher in those regions. We explore its moderating effect on relationships between work and family social support, work–family conflict, and work–family positive spillover. Building on the congruence and compensation perspectives of fit theory, we test alternative hypotheses on a sample of 10,307 participants from 30 countries/territories. We find HO has mostly a compensatory role in the relationships between workplace support and work-to-family conflict. Specifically, supervisor and coworker supports were most strongly and negatively related to conflict in cultures in which support is most needed (i.e., lower HO cultures). Regarding positive spillover, HO has mostly an amplifying role. Coworker (but not supervisor) support was most strongly and positively related to work-to-family positive spillover in higher HO cultures, where providing social support at work is consistent with the societal practice of providing support to one another. Likewise, instrumental (but not emotional) family support was most strongly and positively related to family-to-work positive spillover in higher HO cultures. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2023 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/apl0001093/) Humane orientation, work–family conflict, and positive spillover across cultures. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/medicare-program-contract-year-2025-policy-and-technical-changes-to-the-medicare-advantage-program-medicare-prescription-drug-benefit-program-medicare-cost-plan-program-and-programs-of-all-inclusi/) Medicare Program: Contract Year 2025 Policy and Technical Changes to the Medicare Advantage Program, Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit Program, Medicare Cost Plan Program, and Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly; Health Information Technology Standards and Implementation Specifications
Nov 22nd 2023, 09:27

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/medicare-program-contract-year-2025-policy-and-technical-changes-to-the-medicare-advantage-program-medicare-prescription-drug-benefit-program-medicare-cost-plan-program-and-programs-of-all-inclusi/) Medicare Program: Contract Year 2025 Policy and Technical Changes to the Medicare Advantage Program, Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit Program, Medicare Cost Plan Program, and Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly; Health Information Technology Standards and Implementation Specifications was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/video/destitution-2023-webinar/) Destitution 2023 webinar
Nov 22nd 2023, 09:12

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/video/destitution-2023-webinar/) Destitution 2023 webinar was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/climate_change_and_the_opioid_epidemic-2-aspx/) Climate Change and the Opioid Epidemic
Nov 22nd 2023, 09:07

Ongoing assessments by climate scientists, including a recent report from the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, punctuate the pronounced effect that climate change is poised to have in the near future on the health and well-being of humans—particularly those with low socioeconomic status—throughout the world. To this end, to date, very limited scholarly attention has been placed on the effects that climate change may have on people who use drugs (PWUDs), in particular those with opioid use disorder, and assessed their structural and social determinants of climate change vulnerability. Since COVID-19, which has key lessons to offer on climate change’s potential effects on PWUDs, the opioid epidemic has been rapidly accelerating in terms of its socioeconomic, racial, and geographic reach. The opioid epidemic has been further deepened by increasing fentanyl contamination and co-use with stimulants such as methamphetamine and (crack) cocaine, spurring a heavy increase in overdose deaths. These trends highlight a looming confrontation between the world’s complex overdose crisis and its equally intensifying climate emergency. This piece contextualizes the specter of harms that climate change is likely to cultivate against PWUDs and offers strategies for mitigation.
(https://journals.lww.com/journaladdictionmedicine/fulltext/2023/09000/climate_change_and_the_opioid_epidemic.2.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/climate_change_and_the_opioid_epidemic-2-aspx/) Climate Change and the Opioid Epidemic was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/the_role_of_intermittent_fasting_and_the_ketogenic-3-aspx/) The role of intermittent fasting and the ketogenic diet in cancer disease: can they replace the Mediterranean diet?
Nov 22nd 2023, 08:32

The prevalence of cancer is rising globally, and it is the second leading cause of death. Nutrition has an important influence on the risk of developing cancer. Moreover, changes in the gut microbiota are connected to the risk of developing cancer and are critical for sustaining immunity. Various studies have shown that intermittent fasting, ketogenic diet, and the Mediterranean diet are effective therapies in changing the intestinal microbiota, the prevention of cancer, and the improvement of tolerance to treatment in cancer patients. Although there is not enough evidence to show that the ketogenic diet is effective in changing the intestinal microbiota in a manner that could prevent cancer, intermittent fasting and the Mediterranean diet could positively affect composition of intestinal microbiota against cancer. In addition, the ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting, and the Mediterranean diet have the potential to stimulate anticarcinogenic pathways, and they might increase cancer patients’ quality of life according to scientific evidence. In this review, we represent and argue recent scientific data on relationship between intermittent fasting, the ketogenic diet, and the Mediterranean diet, intestinal microbiota, cancer prevention and cancer treatment.
(https://journals.lww.com/eurjcancerprev/fulltext/2023/11000/the_role_of_intermittent_fasting_and_the_ketogenic.3.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/the_role_of_intermittent_fasting_and_the_ketogenic-3-aspx/) The role of intermittent fasting and the ketogenic diet in cancer disease: can they replace the Mediterranean diet? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/educational_programs_and_interventions_for_health-227-aspx/) Educational programs and interventions for health care staff to prevent and manage aggressive behaviors in acute hospitals: a systematic review
Nov 22nd 2023, 08:18

Objective:
The objective of this review was to determine the effect of educational programs that have been implemented in acute health care settings to manage or prevent aggressive behaviors toward staff perpetrated by patients, families, and/or visitors.
Introduction:
Health care staff working within acute- and tertiary-level hospitals are at high risk of exposure to aggressive behaviors by patients, their family, and/or visitors. Negative staff and organizational impacts reported in the literature include individual psychological or emotional distress and severe harm, increased absenteeism, high staff turnover, and awarded compensation. Reports of this kind of occupational violence are increasing globally, therefore, strategies to address prevention and/or management are needed to mitigate the risk of harm to staff and the wider hospital service. Various educational activities have been implemented to address the issue, but the overall effect of these is unclear.
Inclusion criteria:
Experimental and quasi-experimental studies were considered for inclusion if they reported on an educational program or intervention for staff working within an acute hospital setting and aimed at managing or preventing occupational violence perpetrated by patients, family, or visitors. Reports of implemented programs to address occupational violence, whether verbal or physical, were included. Studies were excluded if they reported on lateral upward violence or bullying, patients in psychiatric or dementia facilities, and pediatric patients, due to the specific care needs of these cohorts.
Methods:
The following databases were searched: PubMed, CINAHL, PsycINFO, Embase, ERIC, Cochrane Controlled Trials, and Scopus. Unpublished studies were sought from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses. To obtain a wider perspective of the issue, studies published in Chinese were also searched for in WanFang Database, China National Knowledge Infrastructure, and Chongqing VIP. A date filter of 2008–2023 was applied in a deliberate effort to expand from previous work. No language filters were applied. The review was conducted in accordance with JBI methodology for systematic reviews of effectiveness and reported as per the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analaysis (PRISMA) guidelines.
Results:
The search process retrieved 4681 citations with a total of 32 studies representing 3246 health staff. The studies were either before and after or pre-test-post-test study designs. Methodological quality of studies was varied, with the main issues being absence of CIs within statistical analysis, limited detail on participant selection or attrition/non-response, and under-reporting of confounding factors. Educational programs varied in content and duration. Content delivery across the studies also varied, with a variety of didactic, role play, debriefing, group work, and simulation exercises reported. While studies reported some improvement in self-reported confidence levels, results were mixed for other outcomes. Determining overall effect of included studies is challenging due to heterogeneity within and across studies in intervention types, populations, measurement tools, and outcomes.
Conclusions:
This review is unable to determine which workplace educational programs were most effective on staff outcomes or on the number of occupational violence incidents. In future, educators and researchers could use the findings of this review to guide the design of educational programs and employ measures that are comparable to their settings.
Review registration:
PROSPERO CRD42020190538.
Supplemental digital content:
A Chinese-language version of the abstract of this review is available [http://links.lww.com/SRX/A33].
(https://journals.lww.com/jbisrir/fulltext/9900/educational_programs_and_interventions_for_health.227.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/educational_programs_and_interventions_for_health-227-aspx/) Educational programs and interventions for health care staff to prevent and manage aggressive behaviors in acute hospitals: a systematic review was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s12955-023-02200-3/) Profiles of quality of life among patients using emergency departments for mental health reasons
Nov 22nd 2023, 08:13

Abstract

Background
This study identified profiles associated with quality of life (QoL) and sociodemographic and clinical characteristics of patients using emergency departments (ED) for mental health reasons and associated these profiles with patient service use.

Methods
Recruited in four Quebec (Canada) ED networks, 299 patients with mental disorders (MD) were surveyed from March 1st, 2021, to May 13th, 2022. Data from medical records were collected and merged with survey data. Cluster analysis was conducted to identify QoL profiles, and comparison analyses used to assess differences between them.

Results
Four QoL profiles were identified: (1) Unemployed or retired men with low QoL, education and household income, mostly having substance-related disorders and bad perceived mental/physical health conditions; (2) Men who are employed or students, have good QoL, high education and household income, the least personality disorders, and fair perceived mental/physical health conditions; (3) Women with low QoL, multiple mental health problems, and very bad perceived mental/physical health conditions; (4) Mostly women with very good QoL, serious MD, and very good perceived mental/physical health conditions.

Conclusion
The profiles with the highest QoL (4 and 2) had better overall social characteristics and perceived their health conditions as superior. Profile 4 reported the highest level of satisfaction with services used. To improve QoL programs like permanent supportive housing, individual placement and support might be better implemented, and satisfaction with care more routinely assessed in response to patient needs – especially for Profiles 1 and 3, that show complex health and social conditions.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12955-023-02200-3?error=cookies_not_supported&code=ec10bb12-4ad6-47e8-afe9-21a9749ffb3e) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s12955-023-02200-3/) Profiles of quality of life among patients using emergency departments for mental health reasons was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/addressing_adolescent_suicidality_in_pediatric-4-aspx/) Addressing Adolescent Suicidality in Pediatric Primary Care
Nov 22nd 2023, 08:07

Objective:
This study examines prevalence rates of reported suicidal ideation (SI) in 2107 adolescents, characterizes recommendations and interventions given by primary care providers (PCPs) and behavioral health clinicians (BHCs) in response to SI on the Patient Health Questionnaire 9-Item Modified for Adolescents (PHQ-9A) for 140 adolescents, and identifies factors associated with a decrease in the frequency of SI at follow-up visits for 85 adolescents.
Methods:
A retrospective mixed-method approach was taken. Clinical informatics was used to extract visit data, demographics, and PHQ-9A scores for all visits between January 3, 2017, and August 31, 2018. Conventional content analysis of electronic medical records was used to examine qualitative results, and qualitative codes were then analyzed using point-biserial correlations. The setting includes a fully integrated behavioral health team within the primary care clinic.
Results:
Of the 2107 adolescents, 140 (7%) endorsed SI within the past 2 weeks. Content analysis yielded 40 actions (17 PCP codes and 23 BHC codes) used in response to SI. Significant correlations were found between decreased SI frequency and the PCP referring to integrated behavioral health (r = 0.24) and family navigators (r = 0.26) and BHCs conducting a risk assessment (r = 0.24), completing a safety plan (r = 0.21), involving caregivers (r = 0.29), sending the adolescent to the emergency department (r = 0.28), and referring to family navigators (r = 0.21; all p values
(https://journals.lww.com/jrnldbp/fulltext/2023/11000/addressing_adolescent_suicidality_in_pediatric.4.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/addressing_adolescent_suicidality_in_pediatric-4-aspx/) Addressing Adolescent Suicidality in Pediatric Primary Care was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/the-educational-technology-stock-that-went-from-98-to-1-inside-the-2u-debacle/) The educational technology stock that went from $98 to $1. Inside the 2U debacle.
Nov 22nd 2023, 07:39

A lawsuit filed earlier this year by three former students in USC’s online master’s in social work alleges that the school illegally misled them by advertising that the online degree, which at the time cost more than $100,000, was comparable to the school’s in-person program.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/the-educational-technology-stock-that-went-from-98-to-1-inside-the-2u-debacle/) The educational technology stock that went from $98 to $1. Inside the 2U debacle. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/validity_and_reliability_of_virtually_obtained-3-aspx/) Validity and Reliability of Virtually Obtained Functional Outcomes in Older Adults: A Pilot Study
Nov 22nd 2023, 07:09

Introduction:
The validity and reliability of tests and measures conducted virtually without the in-person presence of a physical therapist is a challenge in telehealth. This study evaluated the validity and reliability of telehealth administration of outcome measures.
Methods:
Six participants were examined by 3 independent raters. The outcome measures used were the 2-minute step test, 30-second chair stand test, and Timed Up and Go.
Results:
There was a high level of validity and reliability between the in-person and virtually conducted tests.
The preliminary findings demonstrated that outcome measures can be conducted virtually with validity of scoring and results.
(https://journals.lww.com/topicsingeriatricrehabilitation/fulltext/2023/10000/validity_and_reliability_of_virtually_obtained.3.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/validity_and_reliability_of_virtually_obtained-3-aspx/) Validity and Reliability of Virtually Obtained Functional Outcomes in Older Adults: A Pilot Study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/sex_differences_in_pain_reporting__implications-4-aspx/) Sex Differences in Pain Reporting: Implications for Management?
Nov 22nd 2023, 06:09

No abstract available
(https://journals.lww.com/topicsinpainmanagement/fulltext/2023/11000/sex_differences_in_pain_reporting__implications.4.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/sex_differences_in_pain_reporting__implications-4-aspx/) Sex Differences in Pain Reporting: Implications for Management? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/feasibility_of_timed_up_and_go_administered_via-2-aspx/) Feasibility of Timed Up and Go Administered via Telerehabilitation in Older Adults: A Pilot Study
Nov 22nd 2023, 06:09

Introduction:
This study aimed to explore the feasibility of telehealth-obtained Timed Up and Go (TUG).
Methods:
The TUG was administered twice during 1 visit. The TUG distance as set up by the participant was compared with the TUG set up by a rater. A second rater scored the TUG virtually, and a third rater scored session recordings twice, 30 days apart.
Results:
There was a strong and significant correlation between the face-to-face and virtually obtained TUG scores using the patient-identified distances (r = 0.994; 95% confidence interval, 0.957-0.999).
Virtual TUG measurements are comparable with those measured face-to-face.
(https://journals.lww.com/topicsingeriatricrehabilitation/fulltext/2023/10000/feasibility_of_timed_up_and_go_administered_via.2.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/feasibility_of_timed_up_and_go_administered_via-2-aspx/) Feasibility of Timed Up and Go Administered via Telerehabilitation in Older Adults: A Pilot Study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/09515070-2022-2121684/) The mediating role of basic psychological needs satisfaction in the relationship between trait mindfulness and psychological distress in clinical trainees
Nov 22nd 2023, 05:29

Volume 36, Issue 3, September 2023, Page 485-502.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09515070.2022.2121684?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/09515070-2022-2121684/) The mediating role of basic psychological needs satisfaction in the relationship between trait mindfulness and psychological distress in clinical trainees was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/youth-custody-who-ends-up-there-and-how-does-it-affect-their-later-lives/) Youth custody: who ends up there and how does it affect their later lives?
Nov 22nd 2023, 04:27

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/youth-custody-who-ends-up-there-and-how-does-it-affect-their-later-lives/) Youth custody: who ends up there and how does it affect their later lives? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/study-highlights-struggles-of-spousal-caregivers-in-finland/) Study highlights struggles of spousal caregivers in Finland
Nov 22nd 2023, 04:21

A recent study by the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) has brought to light the significantly lower quality of life experienced by individuals assisting their partners with functional limitations.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/study-highlights-struggles-of-spousal-caregivers-in-finland/) Study highlights struggles of spousal caregivers in Finland was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/opioid_use_disorder_and_racial_disparities-3-aspx/) Opioid Use Disorder and Racial Disparities Continuing: No Changes Yet
Nov 22nd 2023, 04:09

No abstract available
(https://journals.lww.com/topicsinpainmanagement/fulltext/2023/11000/opioid_use_disorder_and_racial_disparities.3.aspx) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/opioid_use_disorder_and_racial_disparities-3-aspx/) Opioid Use Disorder and Racial Disparities Continuing: No Changes Yet was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed