Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Tue Dec 5 11:55:41 PST 2023

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/01924788-2022-2148425/) Cooking Groups for Older Adults: Implications for Functional Abilities
Dec 5th 2023, 14:12

Volume 47, Issue 4, October 2023, Page 535-549.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01924788.2022.2148425?ai=1aj&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/01924788-2022-2148425/) Cooking Groups for Older Adults: Implications for Functional Abilities was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/dpr-12753/) The EU Trust Fund for Colombia: Valuable lessons for hybrid peacebuilding
Dec 5th 2023, 13:12

Abstract
Motivation
The European Union (EU) Trust Fund has supported the implementation of the 2016 Peace Agreement in Colombia. It represents innovative funding that goes beyond the classic parameters of the so-called “liberal peace” — that is, imposing a standard formula of guaranteeing security and public order, promoting electoral processes through a party system, and fostering economic openness and free markets.
Purpose
We analyse the planning, financing, and operational mechanisms of the Trust Fund to identify those elements that encourage or constrain co-operation for peacebuilding; elements able to integrate and complement the agendas, actors, and dynamics at international, national, and local levels.
Methods and approach
The article is based on over four years’ accompaniment to the Trust Fund, including an extensive documentary review, participation in numerous events and meetings, and making more than ten field visits to the Fund’s intervention areas. More than 50 interviews were conducted with ex-combatants, local leaders, and representatives of the EU, public institutions, and civil society organizations (CSO).
Findings
The Trust Fund has tried to build peace at local, territorial levels. It has proved an assertive and pluralistic instrument, innovating in inter-institutional co-ordination, political dialogue, and articulation at the local level. This has not only been visible strategically, but also technically by developing innovations with a high potential for adaptation or scaling up, for example: public access to project progress indicators, the widespread use of Third Party Funding to distribute resources to the weakest or most isolated CSOs, and inclusion of the territorial approach in project design and intervention logic.
The Fund has, however, been limited by a context in which peacebuilding initiatives have tended to come from central government and donors, rather than from local actors. The government (of President Duque) was reluctant to implement the entirety of its commitments to peace: the EU delegation was equally reluctant to challenge the government over this.
Policy implications
The experience of the EU Trust Fund in Colombia can provide valuable ideas to support peace processes elsewhere, to enrich the EU’s position and approach to managing and resolving armed conflicts. New instruments, such as the “Team Europe Initiatives” or the NDICI – Global Europe, focused on multi-stakeholder co-ordination and international partnerships, can benefit significantly from lessons learned in Colombia.
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/dpr.12753?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/dpr-12753/) The EU Trust Fund for Colombia: Valuable lessons for hybrid peacebuilding was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s12961-023-01057-8/) Program managers’ perspectives on using knowledge to support population health management initiatives in their development towards health and wellbeing systems: a qualitative study
Dec 5th 2023, 12:42

Population health management (PHM) initiatives are more frequently implemented as a means to tackle the growing pressure on healthcare systems in Western countries. These initiatives aim to transform healthcar…
(https://health-policy-systems.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12961-023-01057-8) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s12961-023-01057-8/) Program managers’ perspectives on using knowledge to support population health management initiatives in their development towards health and wellbeing systems: a qualitative study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s10648-023-09827-0/) A Systematic Literature Review of Social Learning Theory in Online Learning Environments
Dec 5th 2023, 12:26

Abstract
The emergence of educational technologies has spurred research interest in exploring effective ways to enhance human learning in digital environments. Social Learning Theory (SLT), as a crucial theory that offers a conceptual framework for understanding the role of human agency in learning, can shed light on the underlying mechanisms of learners’ social learning behaviors, such as engagement and collaboration, in online learning contexts. However, there is a gap in the literature regarding reviews of online learning studies grounded in SLT. Therefore, this systematic review aims to examine SLT-related online learning studies to investigate how SLT contribute to the understanding of the technology integration in human learning. The review includes two descriptive research questions on research trends and implementation categories, alongside two qualitative research questions investigating the significance of SLT concepts in understanding social learning online implementations. The PRISMA method was employed to select and analyze 60 studies. Deductive content analysis revealed two major educational affordances of social networking sites that result in social learning experiences: collaborative interaction and observational participation.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10648-023-09827-0?error=cookies_not_supported&code=d5395a5d-cd6d-4dd2-ac69-e60baced2378) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s10648-023-09827-0/) A Systematic Literature Review of Social Learning Theory in Online Learning Environments was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/making-space-neighbors-officials-and-north-african-migrants-in-the-suburbs-of-paris-and-lyon/) Making Space: Neighbors, Officials, and North African Migrants in the Suburbs of Paris and Lyon
Dec 5th 2023, 12:22

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/making-space-neighbors-officials-and-north-african-migrants-in-the-suburbs-of-paris-and-lyon/) Making Space: Neighbors, Officials, and North African Migrants in the Suburbs of Paris and Lyon was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/funding/11-kentucky-nonprofits-get-grants-to-work-on-substance-use-disorder-awareness-and-prevention-in-underserved-communities/) 11 Kentucky nonprofits get grants to work on substance-use-disorder awareness and prevention in underserved communities
Dec 5th 2023, 12:14

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/funding/11-kentucky-nonprofits-get-grants-to-work-on-substance-use-disorder-awareness-and-prevention-in-underserved-communities/) 11 Kentucky nonprofits get grants to work on substance-use-disorder awareness and prevention in underserved communities was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/01924788-2022-2151801/) Inclusive Choir for Persons Living with Dementia: A Qualitative Study
Dec 5th 2023, 12:12

Volume 47, Issue 4, October 2023, Page 501-518.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01924788.2022.2151801?ai=1aj&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/01924788-2022-2151801/) Inclusive Choir for Persons Living with Dementia: A Qualitative Study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/03616843231215373/) Men’s Hostile Sexism Predicts Skepticism of Sexual Assault Science
Dec 5th 2023, 11:54

Psychology of Women Quarterly, Ahead of Print. Sexual assault statistics are both widely disseminated and routinely challenged. Two studies investigated reactions to sexual assault research through the lens of ideologically motivated science denial. In particular, hostile sexism was expected to positively predict skepticism of sexual assault research. In Study 1, adult men in the United States (N = 316) reported their hostile sexism, then read one of three research summaries and reported their skepticism of the findings. Although there was no difference in skepticism across conditions, hostile sexism was a stronger predictor of skepticism regarding sexual assault research than of skepticism regarding breast cancer or alcohol abuse research. In Study 2 (N = 254), a standard self-affirmation manipulation failed to alter the hostile sexism-skepticism relation. Given that people deny science when it contradicts their ideology, it was posited that the research substantiating sexual assault had clashed with hostilely sexist views of women. Strategies beyond standard self-affirmation interventions, such as scientific literacy psychoeducation, may thus be needed to effectively communicate sexual assault-relevant science to hostile audiences.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/03616843231215373?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/03616843231215373/) Men’s Hostile Sexism Predicts Skepticism of Sexual Assault Science was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13668803-2022-2033163/) Family child care providers’ perceptions of competence, autonomy, and relatedness: implications for well-being and professional growth
Dec 5th 2023, 11:52

Volume 26, Issue 4, October 2023, Page 492-506.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13668803.2022.2033163?ai=t1&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13668803-2022-2033163/) Family child care providers’ perceptions of competence, autonomy, and relatedness: implications for well-being and professional growth was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/polarizing-times-demand-robust-academic-freedom/) Polarizing Times Demand Robust Academic Freedom
Dec 5th 2023, 11:34

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/polarizing-times-demand-robust-academic-freedom/) Polarizing Times Demand Robust Academic Freedom was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/15575330-2022-2109704/) In search of a common core in community development professional degrees
Dec 5th 2023, 10:52

Volume 54, Issue 6, December 2023.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15575330.2022.2109704?ai=2or&mi=3icuj5&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/15575330-2022-2109704/) In search of a common core in community development professional degrees was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s12124-023-09780-1/) Complexity in Environmental Sustainability Policy from a Semiotic Cultural Political Psychology Perspective
Dec 5th 2023, 10:32

Abstract
>From a cultural political psychology perspective, Carriere (2022) emphasises the role of the individual and their meaning-making processes in the psychology of policy and politics (including the role of values and power dynamics). I propose a ‘complex’ semiotic cultural political psychology (SCPP) framework that reflects on and extends Carriere (2022). My complexity perspective involves ‘self-organising’ relations within persons (a sense of ‘I’) and within cultures (a sense of ‘We’) and ‘socio-culturally organising’ relations between persons (a sense of ‘Me’) and between cultures (a sense of ‘Us’). I apply the SCPP framework to the issue of environmental sustainability policy. I contend there are intra- and inter-personal and intra-and inter-cultural values on the issue/s of environmental sustainability policy. International research supports Carriere’s focus on personal (‘I am’ versus ‘We are’) values in environmental policy but this effect may be most prevalent in the US context. On social power in personal and cultural sustainability, empirical research points to ‘power struggles’ and ‘vested interests’ as the main problems for people. Also, from research it is deduced that (complex) environmental sustainability policy and governance need to empower people (individuals and groups) and avert unintended power dynamics, appreciating the co-occurring cultural nuances at work. It is concluded that my semiotic cultural political psychology reflections on Carriere introduces a potentially integrative ‘complexity’ perspective to psychological and behavioural science.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12124-023-09780-1?error=cookies_not_supported&code=22268dd8-6945-4603-ace1-ab367c2da3d8) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s12124-023-09780-1/) Complexity in Environmental Sustainability Policy from a Semiotic Cultural Political Psychology Perspective was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/eric-adamss-budget-cuts-are-an-attack-on-working-class-new-yorkers/) Eric Adams’s Budget Cuts Are an Attack on Working-Class New Yorkers
Dec 5th 2023, 10:16

Already mired in scandal, New York City mayor Eric Adams is now pitting workers against each other by stoking resentment toward migrants and pushing new budget cuts. The city’s corporate class is laughing all the way to the bank.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/eric-adamss-budget-cuts-are-an-attack-on-working-class-new-yorkers/) Eric Adams’s Budget Cuts Are an Attack on Working-Class New Yorkers was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/how-to-talk-about-care-in-the-uk-a-framing-toolkit-2/) How to Talk about Care in the UK: A framing toolkit
Dec 5th 2023, 10:12

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/how-to-talk-about-care-in-the-uk-a-framing-toolkit-2/) How to Talk about Care in the UK: A framing toolkit was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/podcasts/how-will-europes-green-transition-impact-employment/) How will Europe’s green transition impact employment?
Dec 5th 2023, 10:04

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/podcasts/how-will-europes-green-transition-impact-employment/) How will Europe’s green transition impact employment? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/15575330-2022-2109702/) The capacity for direct engagement: case study of a neighborhood assistance center in a university–community partnership
Dec 5th 2023, 09:52

Volume 54, Issue 6, December 2023.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15575330.2022.2109702?ai=2or&mi=3icuj5&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/15575330-2022-2109702/) The capacity for direct engagement: case study of a neighborhood assistance center in a university–community partnership was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/state-policies-can-expand-access-to-buprenorphine-for-opioid-use-disorder/) State Policies Can Expand Access to Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorder
Dec 5th 2023, 09:49

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/state-policies-can-expand-access-to-buprenorphine-for-opioid-use-disorder/) State Policies Can Expand Access to Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorder was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/e51712/) The Potential of Chatbots for Emotional Support and Promoting Mental Well-Being in Different Cultures: Mixed Methods Study
Dec 5th 2023, 08:58

Background: Artificial intelligence chatbot research has focused on technical advances in natural language processing and validating the effectiveness of human-machine conversations in specific settings. However, real-world chat data remain proprietary and unexplored despite their growing popularity, and new analyses of chatbot uses and their effects on mitigating negative moods are urgently needed. Objective: In this study, we investigated whether and how artificial intelligence chatbots facilitate the expression of user emotions, specifically sadness and depression. We also examined cultural differences in the expression of depressive moods among users in Western and Eastern countries. Methods: This study used SimSimi, a global open-domain social chatbot, to analyze 152,783 conversation utterances containing the terms “depress” and “sad” in 3 Western countries (Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States) and 5 Eastern countries (Indonesia, India, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Thailand). Study 1 reports new findings on the cultural differences in how people talk about depression and sadness to chatbots based on Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count and n-gram analyses. In study 2, we classified chat conversations into predefined topics using semisupervised classification techniques to better understand the types of depressive moods prevalent in chats. We then identified the distinguishing features of chat-based depressive discourse data and the disparity between Eastern and Western users. Results: Our data revealed intriguing cultural differences. Chatbot users in Eastern countries indicated stronger emotions about depression than users in Western countries (positive: P<.001; negative: P=.01); for example, Eastern users used more words associated with sadness (P=.01). However, Western users were more likely to share vulnerable topics such as mental health (P<.001), and this group also had a greater tendency to discuss sensitive topics such as swear words (P<.001) and death (P<.001). In addition, when talking to chatbots, people expressed their depressive moods differently than on other platforms. Users were more open to expressing emotional vulnerability related to depressive or sad moods to chatbots (74,045/148,590, 49.83%) than on social media (149/1978, 7.53%). Chatbot conversations tended not to broach topics that require social support from others, such as seeking advice on daily life difficulties, unlike on social media. However, chatbot users acted in anticipation of conversational agents that exhibit active listening skills and foster a safe space where they can openly share emotional states such as sadness or depression. Conclusions: The findings highlight the potential of chatbot-assisted mental health support, emphasizing the importance of continued technical and policy-wise efforts to improve chatbot interactions for those in need of emotional assistance. Our data indicate the possibility of chatbots providing helpful information about depressive moods, especially for users who have difficulty communicating emotions to other humans.
(https://www.jmir.org/2023/1/e51712/) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/e51712/) The Potential of Chatbots for Emotional Support and Promoting Mental Well-Being in Different Cultures: Mixed Methods Study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s10896-023-00658-9/) Cross-Language Validation of the Scale of Economic Self-Efficacy for Spanish-Speaking Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence
Dec 5th 2023, 08:38

Abstract

Purpose
Economic empowerment interventions contribute to increased financial security and independence among intimate partner violence (IPV) survivors. Improving economic self-efficacy is influential in improving financial behaviors. However, reliable and valid measures are necessary to conduct rigorous evaluations of these interventions. Specifically, a tool to properly evaluate the economic self-efficacy needs of Spanish-speaking IPV survivors is crucial but not yet available. This study tested the psychometric properties of the Scale of Economic Self-Efficacy (ESE) across Spanish and English-speaking IPV survivors, guided by these research questions: (a) Does the proposed one-factor model for the Scale of ESE fit both Spanish and English-speaking analytic samples well? (b) What are the psychometric properties of the Scale of ESE for both the Spanish and English-speaking samples? and (c) Can the Scale of ESE be used to measure ESE among both Spanish and English-speaking samples without bias?

Methods
A single-group confirmatory factor analysis (CFA), followed by a series of nested multi-group CFAs were conducted using data from 415 Spanish- and English- speaking IPV survivors living in the US and Puerto Rico.

Results
Findings demonstrate that the one-factor Scale of ESE is a valid and reliable scale for assessing economic self-efficacy within and across Spanish and English-speaking IPV survivors.

Conclusions
Results provide researchers with evidence to use the Scale of ESE to conduct rigorous evaluations of economic empowerment interventions for Spanish-speaking IPV survivors. The Scale of ESE also has the potential to aid in policy-making as policymakers and funders seek evidence for financial empowerment program decisions.

(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10896-023-00658-9?error=cookies_not_supported&code=eb63eddc-d20b-407b-9d86-103e9cf4e94a) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s10896-023-00658-9/) Cross-Language Validation of the Scale of Economic Self-Efficacy for Spanish-Speaking Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/disaster-loan-program-sba-should-include-key-issues-in-its-review-of-how-the-program-affects-underserved-communities/) Disaster Loan Program: SBA Should Include Key Issues in Its Review of How the Program Affects Underserved Communities
Dec 5th 2023, 08:38

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/disaster-loan-program-sba-should-include-key-issues-in-its-review-of-how-the-program-affects-underserved-communities/) Disaster Loan Program: SBA Should Include Key Issues in Its Review of How the Program Affects Underserved Communities was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13668803-2021-2007048-2/) ‘I’m kind of in a dilemma’: the challenges of non-standard work schedules and childcare
Dec 5th 2023, 08:12

Volume 26, Issue 4, October 2023, Page 428-443.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13668803.2021.2007048?ai=t1&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13668803-2021-2007048-2/) ‘I’m kind of in a dilemma’: the challenges of non-standard work schedules and childcare was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/raising-a-child-to-18-in-the-uk-costs-more-than-200000-heres-why/) Raising a child to 18 in the UK costs more than £200,000 – here’s why
Dec 5th 2023, 07:21

The cost of childcare will be one of your biggest expenses.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/raising-a-child-to-18-in-the-uk-costs-more-than-200000-heres-why/) Raising a child to 18 in the UK costs more than £200,000 – here’s why was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/psrh-12246/) Gender‐affirming hysterectomy in the United States: A comparative outcomes analysis and potential implications for uterine transplantation
Dec 5th 2023, 06:29

Abstract
Purpose
Hysterectomy is a gynecological procedure sometimes performed as part of the gender-affirming process for transgender and gender-expansive patients assigned female at birth. Our goal was to compare surgical outcomes between patients undergoing gender-affirming hysterectomy and patients undergoing hysterectomy for benign menstrual disorders. We then explored the implications of gender-affirming hysterectomy for uterine transplantation.
Methods
We performed a retrospective cohort study using data from the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database from 2009 through 2018. We identified patients undergoing hysterectomy in the United States based on Current Procedural Terminology code. We used the International Classification of Diseases 9 or 10 codes to identify patients with benign menstrual disorders (non-gender-affirming group) and gender dysphoria (gender-affirming group). We compared patient characteristics and surgical complications.
Results
Of the 40,742 patients that met inclusion criteria, 526 (1.3%) patients were individuals with gender dysphoria. Compared to patients who underwent hysterectomy for benign menstrual disorders, gender-affirming patients were younger, were healthier, had a lower prevalence of diabetes, and were more likely to undergo surgery in the outpatient setting, with shorter time to discharge. Complication rates were similar between groups. Logistic regression controlling for the American Society of Anesthesiology classification determined the difference of return to the operating room was not statistically significant (OR 1.082; 95% CI, 0.56–2.10; p = 0.816).
Conclusion
Gender-affirming hysterectomy has a safety profile similar to hysterectomy performed for benign menstrual disorders. Researchers should further explore the possibility of uterus donation among these patients as they may be suitable candidates.
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1363/psrh.12246?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/psrh-12246/) Gender‐affirming hysterectomy in the United States: A comparative outcomes analysis and potential implications for uterine transplantation was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/hequ-12476/) Inequalities in undergraduate participation and performance in Irish higher education
Dec 5th 2023, 05:11

Abstract
This paper focuses on two aspects of gender inequality in Irish higher education: inequality in participation by gender and inequality of performance by gender, institution and subject. We use a rich set of data from the Higher Education Authority of Ireland which detail inter alia enrolment in institutions of higher education—Universities and Institutes of Technology—and record the class of degree received by graduating students, by subject and gender. The first aspect was the participation of women. Although more women enrolled as full-time undergraduates in universities than did men, the reverse was the case in the Institutes of Technology. This had much to do with the subject structure of universities vis-à-vis the Institutes of Technology in tandem with the subject preferences of women and men. The second issue was inequality in performance. A major conclusion of this paper is that after enrolment there was little difference between the success rates of women and men in receiving first-class degrees in the different subjects but there was considerable difference between the institutions.
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/hequ.12476?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/hequ-12476/) Inequalities in undergraduate participation and performance in Irish higher education was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/building-on-the-success-of-erasmus/) Building on the success of Erasmus+
Dec 5th 2023, 04:38

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/building-on-the-success-of-erasmus/) Building on the success of Erasmus+ was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s10826-023-02701-1/) Learning a Foreign Language under the Influence of Parents: Parental Involvement and Children’s English Learning Motivational Profiles
Dec 5th 2023, 04:29

Abstract
This study aimed to identify the English learning motivational profiles of elementary-school-aged children based on self-determination theory and to verify if parental involvement can predict a child’s English learning motivational profile classification. In a sample of 539 South Korean elementary-school-aged children, latent profile analysis revealed four English learning motivational profile groups: (1) children with the highest levels of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation and the lowest level of amotivation (high quantity), (2) children with a comparatively high level of extrinsic motivation and comparatively low levels of intrinsic motivation and amotivation (low quality with low amotivation), (3) children with comparatively high levels of extrinsic motivation and amotivation coupled with a low level of intrinsic motivation (low quality with high amotivation), and (4) children with the lowest levels of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation coupled with the highest level of amotivation (low quantity). In addition, we found children’s English learning motivational profiles can be predicted by parental involvement. The results indicate that when parents respect children’s learning style, offer learning information, and provide emotional support, children are more likely to have better quality or higher quantity motivational profiles. Conversely, parental pressure was related to worse quality or lower quantity motivational profiles. The implications of the study are discussed in terms of South Korean parent-child relationships and the English as a Foreign Language (EFL) context.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10826-023-02701-1?error=cookies_not_supported&code=22aeb68a-205c-4875-8819-747c98fee38f) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s10826-023-02701-1/) Learning a Foreign Language under the Influence of Parents: Parental Involvement and Children’s English Learning Motivational Profiles was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/national-social-work-agency-will-have-teeth-and-the-ability-to-drive-changes/) National Social Work Agency will “have teeth and the ability to drive changes”
Dec 5th 2023, 04:03

Speaking at the Scottish Association of Social Workers conference, Angela Constance MSP said the Scottish Government aimed to establish the agency next year, with it being fully operational in 2025.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/national-social-work-agency-will-have-teeth-and-the-ability-to-drive-changes/) National Social Work Agency will “have teeth and the ability to drive changes” was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13575279-2022-2084365/) How has Covid-19 Impacted on Playwork – One Year on from Returning from Lockdown
Dec 5th 2023, 03:44

Volume 29, Issue 4, October 2023.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13575279.2022.2084365?ai=sv&mi=3icuj5&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13575279-2022-2084365/) How has Covid-19 Impacted on Playwork – One Year on from Returning from Lockdown was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/smi-3336/) Capturing and quantifying the aggregate effects of multi‐source factors affecting miners’ health and well‐being: Construction of Bayesian belief networks
Dec 5th 2023, 03:17

Abstract
Factors originating at the organizational, work, and individual levels are closely interrelated and intricately intertwined, affecting health rates. There was limited research on the interdependence and aggregate effects between multi-source factors and occupational health and well-being (OHW). It is challenging to achieve management goals. Therefore, considering cross-level factors and across the “work environment-stress-exposure-OHW” chain, individual vulnerability was considered. A Fuzzy Bayesian Belief Network (FBBN) driven by both domain knowledge and data was constructed to carve out the logic between multi-source factors and OHW. Workers from four coal mines were surveyed twice in 6 months. 714 valid samples were included in the analysis. The interdependencies among multi-source factors were identified by the Interpretive Structure Modeling method and the visual probability estimation was achieved based on FBBN. It revealed that the work and the organizational level were the root factors. Eight factors involved in work stress were mainly mediating, and actual exposure and individual vulnerability were direct factors. Pathway interventions and joint interventions were proposed. The prediction ability and scheme feasibility of FBBN were verified. The approach developed allows robust assessments of aggregate effects and obtains multi-source factor importance. This study provides vital insights and evaluation tools for understanding workplace stress and OHW management.
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/smi.3336?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/smi-3336/) Capturing and quantifying the aggregate effects of multi‐source factors affecting miners’ health and well‐being: Construction of Bayesian belief networks was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed