The New Social Worker Careers Magazine Daily Digest: All items

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Thu Aug 3 07:27:01 PDT 2023

The New Social Worker Careers Magazine Daily Digest

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/technology-articles/i-chatbot-what-does-ai-have-to-do-with-social-work/) Social Work Tech Talk: I, Chatbot—What Does AI Have To Do With Social Work?
Aug 3rd 2023, 00:00

Suddenly, everyone is talking about AI. So, let’s talk a little bit about what makes it relevant to the work that we do as social workers

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/self-care/wish-want-will-making-well-way-toward-self-care/) Self-Care A-Z: From Wish to Want to Will—Making a Well Way Toward Self-Care
Aug 1st 2023, 00:00

Wishing  is often a significant aspect of a self-care journey. I wish sounds like a positive thing, right? Yet, actually, I’ve noticed I wish often becomes a “but” barrier. It morphs into an obstacle of impossibility.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/ethics-articles/classes-cases-education-real-world-experiences-social-work-ethics/) From Classes to Cases: Education and Real-World Experience Shape Our Understanding of Social Work Ethics
Jul 28th 2023, 00:00

Understanding ethics in social work isn’t as simple as taking a class and learning everything you need to know. The story of Maria illustrates the complexity.

(https://www.socialworker.com/extras/creative-work/dear-jane/) Dear Jane
Jul 20th 2023, 00:00

Jane Seskin, LCSW, writes poetry.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/career-jobs/conversations-on-social-work-careers-nicki-sanders/) Conversations on Social Work Careers: Nicki Sanders
Jul 10th 2023, 13:00

Your Social Work Career Coach Jennifer Luna talks with Nicki Sanders, MSW. Nicki Sanders supports high-performing women of color in social work leadership in developing careers that feed their hearts, minds, and wallets.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/ethics-articles/artificial-intelligence-tricks-or-tools-for-social-work-education-practice/) Ethics Alive! Artificial Intelligence: Tricks or Tools for Social Work Education and Practice
Jul 7th 2023, 00:00

The simple fact of “using” or “not using” AI does not dictate whether social work students are acting ethically. Similarly, there are both ethical and unethical ways in which students can use a variety of technologies.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/self-care/should-shonda-self-care-shonda-which-are-you/) Self-Care A-Z: “Should” Shonda vs. Self-Care Shonda - Which Are You?
Jul 4th 2023, 00:00

A big barrier to self-care success is how much we should on our self-care. Are you more like "Should" Shonda or Self-Care Shonda?

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/practice/msw-students-support-juvenile-justice-reform-service-learning-career-development/) MSW Students Support Juvenile Justice Reform: Service-Learning and an Avenue to Career Development
Jun 30th 2023, 00:00

Dr. John Gallagher, Associate Professor at Morgan State University, a historically Black university (HBCU) in Baltimore, MD, developed a service-learning juvenile justice class to support students in exploring their career goals.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/education--credentials/applying-master-of-social-work-when-you-have-no-experience/) Applying for Your Master of Social Work When You Have No Experience
Jun 26th 2023, 00:00

I can tell you with confidence that having more experience doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a better application. It’s far more important to show admissions committees that you have the skills and insights they’re looking for.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/practice/breaking-barriers-accessible-virtual-social-work-supervision/) Breaking Barriers to Accessible Virtual Social Work Supervision
Jun 20th 2023, 00:00

Supervisors and new practitioners want guidance to break barriers in remote supervision. This article highlights key concepts to establish quality and accessibility in this mode of supervision and proposes a model of “pay it forward” supervision.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/ethics-articles/urgent-alert-states-banned-gender-affirming-care-social-workers-responsibilities/) Ethics Alive! Urgent Alert—Some States Have Banned Gender-Affirming Care for Transgender Minors. What Are Social Workers’ Responsibilities?
Jun 16th 2023, 00:00

Florida, Georgia, Texas, North Dakota, Arizona, and other states have recently banned or restricted various forms of gender-affirming health care with transgender people. Social workers play important roles as advocates for access to services.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/self-care/black-blog-celebration-juneteenth-self-care-self-love-black-community/) Self-Care A-Z—The Black 🖤 Blog: A Celebration of Juneteenth/Self-Care is Self-Love in the Black Community
Jun 13th 2023, 00:00

Juneteenth is June 19th. I’ve been reflecting on how this important holiday highlights the crucial need for attention to self-care and self-love in the Black community.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/reviews-commentary/film-review-man-called-otto/) Film Review: A Man Called Otto
Jun 8th 2023, 00:00

The film opens six months after Otto’s cherished wife Sonya has died. In flashbacks, we learn how Sonya and Otto met, all they loved about each other, and the crisis they faced together. Marisol and other neighbors take an interest in him.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/self-care/road-trip-to-self-care/) Self-Care A-Z: A Road Trip to Self-Care
Jun 6th 2023, 00:00

One way to think about self-care is by using the metaphor of a road trip. Just like a road trip, self-care requires planning, preparation, and a clear destination.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/practice/social-justice-confronting-workplace-maltreatment/) What About Social Justice? Confronting Workplace Maltreatment
Jun 1st 2023, 18:00

Social workers are in key leadership positions to create policies and practices to confront workplace maltreatment, respond to the needs of survivors, and promote a healthy work environment.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/reviews-commentary/book-review-the-way-up-climbing-the-corporate-mountain-as-a-professional-of-color/) Book Review: The Way Up - Climbing the Corporate Mountain as a Professional of Color
May 30th 2023, 00:00

Errol Pierre argues that achieving success in the corporate world is more akin to scaling a mountain than climbing up steps on a ladder, especially for professionals of color. Read our review.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/practice/art-of-rapport-building/) The Art of Rapport Building
May 25th 2023, 00:00

When we meet a client or patient we are working with for the first time, we often subconsciously make judgments or assumptions. Admitting this is an important place to start.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/career-jobs/conversations-on-social-work-careers-brian-rosenbaum/) Conversations on Social Work Careers: Brian Rosenbaum
May 22nd 2023, 00:00

In this episode of Conversations on Social Work Careers, Jennifer Luna and Brian Rosenbaum talk about Brian's social work career, which has included work in volunteer management, corporate engagement, and fundraising.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/career-jobs/power-within-networking-collaboration-social-work/) The Power Within: Networking and Collaboration in Social Work
May 19th 2023, 00:00

Networking and collaboration are big terms heard throughout social work. That old adage of "it's not what you know but who you know" comes to mind.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/self-care/accountability-self-care-when-7-year-old-back-seat-driver-schools-me/) Self-Care A-Z: Accountability and Self-Care—When a 7-Year-Old Back-Seat Driver Schools Me
May 16th 2023, 00:00

Self-care does not just happen. We need to be intentional about accountability that holds us to our commitments. As such, devising successful self-care plans requires intentionally considering what accountability measures/strategies to use.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/technology-articles/free-speech-organizing-education-tiktok/) Social Work Tech Talk: Free Speech, Organizing, Education, and TikTok
May 10th 2023, 00:00

My feeling is that TikTok can and is being used in the service of free speech; organizing for social change; and providing valuable education to people who might not otherwise have access. That may be why it has been targeted for shutdown.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/reviews-commentary/book-review-no-longer-welcome/) Book Review: No Longer Welcome—The Epidemic of Expulsion From Early Childhood Education
May 9th 2023, 00:00

The New Social Worker reviews the book Book No Longer Welcome—The Epidemic of Expulsion From Early Childhood Education.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/practice/importance-not-knowing-for-young-clinician/) On the Importance of Not Knowing for a Young Clinician
May 1st 2023, 22:05

Utilizing a little radical acceptance of our limitations, a little embrace of our inevitable unknowing, is a fertile place from which to cultivate not only effective practice for clients, but a good and honest life for ourselves as practitioners.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/self-care/self-care-big-deal/) Self-Care A-Z: Self-Care Is a Big Deal
May 1st 2023, 22:00

All of us have times in life that feel particularly like a “big deal.” But, we owe it to ourselves to honor our human nature, which includes navigating life’s highs and lows while taking care of ourselves.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/practice/what-is-veterinary-social-work/) What Is Veterinary Social Work? Interdisciplinary Opportunities for Social Workers
Apr 27th 2023, 00:00

Most individuals in distress do not first interact with a social worker. Instead, they go to places incorporated into their daily routines. Adding a social work presence to veterinary spaces can provide needed screening, education, and intervention.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/technology-articles/swipe-right-for-access-smartphone-guide-for-social-workers/) Swipe Right for Access: A SmartPhone Guide for Social Workers
Apr 25th 2023, 00:00

Increasing access to necessary resources for clients can be as easy as the swipe of a finger. Awareness of accessibility tools available on smartphones can help social workers provide access to apps, resources, and providers for clients.

(https://www.socialworker.com/extras/creative-work/university-of-iowa-school-of-social-work-annual-national-poetry-contest-2023-winning-poems/) University of Iowa School of Social Work Annual National Poetry Contest for Social Workers: 2023 Winning Poems
Apr 24th 2023, 00:00

The University of Iowa School of Social Work has announced the results of the 2023 National Poetry Contest for Social Workers. Read the three winning poems.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/reviews-commentary/book-review-unraveling-faculty-burnout-pathways-to-reckoning/) Book Review: Unraveling Faculty Burnout
Apr 20th 2023, 00:00

When I read Dr. Rebecca Pope-Ruark’s book, Unraveling Faculty Burnout, I felt seen. It's the rare educator who isn't acquainted with this sense of "never enough," of never feeling that there is an obtainable career stride they can reach.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/self-care/earth-day-self-care-all-connected/) Self-Care A-Z: Earth Day and Self-Care—It’s All Connected
Apr 18th 2023, 00:00

You might be surprised to see the topic of planetary well-being on a blog focused on self-care. Yet, Earth Day is an ideal occasion to talk about the inextricable and important connection between self-care and planetary care.

(https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/career-jobs/conversations-on-social-work-careers-zander-keig-consulting-advocacy-impact/) Conversations on Social Work Careers: Consulting, Advocacy, and Impact With Zander Keig
Apr 17th 2023, 00:00

Zander Keig shares his perspective as a 56-year-old first-generation American of Mexican heritage (Latino) trans man, TBI survivor, and neurodivergent first-generation college graduate. Zander was NASW 2020 Social Worker of the Year.

a:link {
  color: transparent;
  background-color: transparent;
  text-decoration: none;