Your Daily digest for PsyPost – Psychology News Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Sun Sep 22 07:33:16 PDT 2024

PsyPost – Psychology News Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://www.psypost.org/blood-sugar-fluctuations-after-eating-play-an-important-role-in-anxiety-and-depression/) Blood sugar fluctuations after eating play an important role in anxiety and depression
Sep 22nd 2024, 10:00

The proverbial “sugar high” that follows the ingestion of a sweet treat is a familiar example of the potentially positive effects of food on mood.
On the flip side, feeling “hangry” – the phenomenon where (https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0269629) hunger manifests in the form of anger or irritability – illustrates how what we eat, or don’t eat, can also provoke negative emotions.
The latest research suggests that (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2023.09.017) blood sugar fluctuations are partly responsible for the connection between what we eat and how we feel. Through its (https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(81)90092-5) effects on our hormones and (https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-009-0005-1) our nervous system, blood sugar levels can be (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2023.09.017) fuel for anxiety and depression.
Mental health is complex. There are countless social, psychological and biological factors that ultimately determine any one person’s experience. However, numerous randomized controlled trials have demonstrated that diet is one biological factor that (https://doi.org/10.1097%2FPSY.0000000000000673) can significantly influence risk for symptoms of depression and anxiety, especially in women.
As a (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=K5st0T8AAAAJ&hl=en) family medicine resident with a Ph.D. in nutrition, I have witnessed the fact that (https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.2006.163.11.1905) antidepressant medications work for some patients but not others. Thus, in my view, mental health treatment strategies should target every risk factor, including nutrition.
The role of the glycemic index
Many of the randomized controlled trials that have proven the link between diet and mental health have (https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqac106) tested the Mediterranean diet or a slightly (https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-017-0791-y) modified version of it. The Mediterranean diet is typically characterized by lots of vegetables – especially dark green, leafy vegetables – fruit, olive oil, whole grains, legumes and nuts, with small amounts of fish, meat and dairy products. One of the many attributes of the Mediterranean diet that may be responsible for its effect on mood is (https://doi.org/10.1155%2F2014%2F985373) its low glycemic index.
The (https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqab233) glycemic index is a system that ranks foods and diets according to their potential to raise blood sugar. Thus, in keeping with the observation that blood sugar fluctuations affect mood, high glycemic index diets that produce drastic spikes in blood sugar have been associated with (https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.114.103846) increased risk for depression and to some extent anxiety.
(https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.114.105445) High glycemic index carbohydrates include white rice, white bread, crackers and baked goods. Therefore, diets high in these foods may increase risk for depression and anxiety. Meanwhile, low glycemic index carbs, such as parboiled rice and al dente pasta, that are more slowly absorbed and produce a smaller blood sugar spike are associated with decreased risk.
How diet affects mood
Many scientific mechanisms have been proposed to explain the connection between diet and mental health. One plausible explanation that links blood sugar fluctuations with mood is its effect on our hormones.
Every time we eat sugar or carbohydrates such as bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and crackers, the resulting rise in blood sugar triggers a cascade of hormones and signaling molecules. One example, dopamine – our brain’s pleasure signal – is the reason we can experience a “sugar high” following the consumption of dessert or baked goods. Dopamine is the (https://doi.org/10.1373%2Fclinchem.2017.273532) body’s way of rewarding us for procuring the calories, or energy, that are necessary for survival.
Insulin is another hormone triggered by carbohydrates and sugar. Insulin’s job is to lower blood sugar levels by escorting the ingested sugar into our cells and tissues so that it can be used for energy. However, when we eat too much sugar, too many carbs, or high glycemic index carbs, the rapid increase in blood sugar (https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.103.3.e26) prompts a drastic rise in insulin. This can result in blood sugar levels that dip below where they started.
This dip in blood sugar (https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.103.3.e26) sparks the release of adrenaline and (https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(81)90092-5) its cousin noradrenaline. Both of these hormones appropriately send glucose into the bloodstream to restore blood sugar to the appropriate level.
However, adrenaline influences more than just blood sugar levels. It also affects how we feel, and its release (https://doi.org/10.1177/003591574003301001) can manifest as anxiety, fear or aggression. Hence, diet affects mood through its effect on blood sugar levels, which trigger the hormones that dictate how we feel.
Interestingly, the rise in adrenaline that follows (https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(81)90092-5) sugar and carbohydrate consumption doesn’t happen until four to (https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.103.3.e26) five hours after eating. Thus, when eating sugar and carbs, dopamine makes us feel good in the short term; but in the long term, adrenaline can make us feel bad.
However, not everyone is equally affected. Identical meals can produce (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2015.11.001) widely varying blood sugar responses in different people, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2023.08.016) depending on one’s sex, (https://doi.org/10.3390/nu15071695) as well as genetics, (https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-1931) sedentariness and (https://doi.org/10.1038/nature12506) the gut microbiome.
And it’s important to keep in mind that, as previously mentioned, mental health is complicated. So in certain circumstances, no amount of dietary optimization will overcome the social and psychological factors that may underpin one’s experience.
Nevertheless, a poor diet could certainly make a person’s experience worse and is thus relevant for anyone, especially women, hoping to optimize mental health. Research has shown that women, in particular, are (https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.114.105445) more sensitive to the effects of the glycemic index and (https://doi.org/10.1097%2FPSY.0000000000000673) diet overall.
Unfortunately, simple solutions, (https://theconversation.com/whats-the-difference-between-sugar-other-natural-sweeteners-and-artificial-sweeteners-a-food-chemist-explains-sweet-science-172571) such as swapping sugar for (https://theconversation.com/whos-recommendation-against-the-use-of-artificial-sweeteners-for-weight-loss-leaves-many-questions-unanswered-206175) artificial sweeteners, are not an option. Research has shown that among all processed foods, (https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2023.34770) artificial sweeteners and artificially sweetened beverages are most strongly associated with depression.
Optimizing mood with food
The most obvious way to stabilize blood sugar levels is to (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2014.06.011) decrease sugar and carbohydrate intake. However, this is not the only way. Research has proven that simple changes can drastically mitigate volatile blood sugar fluctuations. Some strategies to stabilize blood sugar and optimize mood include:

Make low glycemic index carbohydrates such as parboiled rice, whole grain bread and al dente pasta dietary staples and be mindful of how many high glycemic index carbohydrates you consume. I give my patients (https://nutrition-prescriptions.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/glycemic-index-guide.pdf) this guide to increase their awareness of the glycemic index of various carbohydrates.
Eat carbohydrates earlier in the day such as breakfast or lunchtime, as opposed to later in the day, like dinner or, worse yet, as a nighttime snack. Our hormones follow a circadian rhythm, and carbs eaten (https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.23.2.132) earlier in the day produce a smaller blood sugar spike compared with carbs eaten later in the day.
Avoid eating carbohydrates on their own, such as snacking on a box of crackers or downing a bowl of rice. Always strive to combine carbohydrates with proteins such as beans, nuts, meat and fish, or with healthy fats such as olive oil and avocado. The (https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/136.10.2506) combination of nutrients slows down the digestion of carbohydrates and thereby produces a smaller blood sugar spike.
Eat carbohydrates at the end of the meal, after eating vegetables and protein first. Just changing the order in which foods are eaten can drastically lower the (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2019.04.001) blood sugar spike that comes after.
Eat a salad dressed with olive oil and vinegar prior to eating carbohydrates. The combination of vegetables, (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7796781/) acid from the vinegar and fat from the olive oil, all work together to slow carbohydrate absorption and minimize the resultant blood sugar spike.

This article is republished from (https://theconversation.com) The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the (https://theconversation.com/blood-sugar-fluctuations-after-eating-play-an-important-role-in-anxiety-and-depression-235008) original article.

(https://www.psypost.org/long-covid-fatigue-tied-to-brain-connectivity-patterns-study-finds/) Long COVID fatigue tied to brain connectivity patterns, study finds
Sep 22nd 2024, 08:00

A new study published in (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165178124003986) Psychiatry Research explores the relationship between fatigue in Long COVID and specific patterns of brain connectivity. Researchers observed that fatigue, one of the most common and debilitating symptoms in Long COVID patients, is associated with certain patterns of brain structure and function, particularly in the frontal and cerebellar regions. Notably, mental and physical fatigue were linked to distinct brain connectivity patterns, suggesting the possibility that different neural mechanisms may be involved in each type of fatigue.
Long COVID, also known as post-COVID syndrome, affects individuals who continue to experience symptoms months after recovering from the initial COVID-19 infection. Fatigue is one of the most common and disabling symptoms of Long COVID, affecting an estimated 35% to 60% of patients. Fatigue in these patients can be physical, cognitive, or both, severely impacting their ability to work and quality of life.
While fatigue has been widely studied in conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis, much less is known about its neurological basis in Long COVID. Researchers wanted to investigate whether fatigue in these patients is related to specific patterns of brain connectivity, and how these patterns might differ between mental and physical fatigue. Understanding the brain’s role in fatigue could help guide treatments and improve patient outcomes.
“Among symptoms in Long COVID, fatigue is one of the most frequent and most disabling, and is usually persistent. Fatigue has been proven to have an impact on the patient’s quality of life and working status. We aimed to investigate the neural basis of fatigue in order to better understand the pathology and improve our knowledge to help design better treatments,” said study authors Maria Diez-Cirarda and Jordi Matias-Guiu of the Neurological Diseases Research group at Hospital Clinico San Carlos in Madrid.
For their study, the researchers recruited 129 individuals who had tested positive for COVID-19 at least three months prior. Participants were screened to exclude those with other neurological or psychiatric disorders that might interfere with the results. The average time since their initial COVID-19 infection was about 14 months, and most of the participants were women.
Each participant completed a detailed clinical and neuropsychological assessment. Fatigue levels were measured using the Modified Fatigue Impact Scale (MFIS), which assesses both cognitive (mental) and physical fatigue. Participants also completed a Stroop test, a well-known measure of cognitive control, to assess mental fatigue more objectively.
In addition to the psychological tests, participants underwent MRI scans to assess brain structure and functional connectivity. The scans included resting-state fMRI to measure functional connectivity and diffusion-weighted imaging to examine the integrity of white matter in the brain. The researchers were particularly interested in whether patterns of brain activity and white matter integrity were linked to the levels of fatigue reported by the participants.
The results of the study revealed that 86% of the participants reported significant levels of fatigue, with both mental and physical fatigue being prominent. Importantly, the researchers found that mental fatigue showed a different pattern of brain connectivity than physical fatigue.
Functional connectivity analysis revealed that both types of fatigue were associated with activity in the frontal areas of the brain. Physical fatigue was linked to increased connectivity between the cerebellum and the temporal lobe, while mental fatigue showed reduced connectivity between frontal regions and the cerebellum, as well as other areas of the brain, such as the insula and anterior cingulate cortex.
The study also looked at the integrity of white matter, the part of the brain that helps different regions communicate with each other. Both mental and physical fatigue were associated with changes in white matter diffusivity—specifically in areas like the forceps minor, the anterior corona radiata, and the cingulum. These findings suggest that differences in white matter integrity may be related to both physical and mental fatigue in Long COVID.
Interestingly, the study also found that subjective cognitive complaints, such as memory and attention problems, were closely linked to both physical and mental fatigue. However, these complaints were more strongly associated with physical fatigue than with objective measures of cognitive function, such as performance on the Stroop test. This discrepancy highlights the complex relationship between fatigue and cognitive symptoms in Long COVID patients.
“The present results revealed that fatigue in Long COVID is associated with structural and functional connectivity mostly in frontal areas but also temporal, and cerebellar areas,” the researchers told PsyPost. “These findings are relevant because they demonstrate that in patients with Long-COVID, brain dysfunction contributes to fatigue. In addition, these findings could help in the design of specific interventions, and pave the way to the use of non-invasive brain stimulation techniques to alleviate both physical and mental fatigue in these patients.”
“The results also highlight the relationship between fatigue and subjective cognitive complaints. These findings point out the relevance of the multidisciplinary assessment of patients with Long COVID with subjective cognitive complaints, in order to unravel the symptomatology beneath the patient’s complaints.”
The study provides new insights into the neural mechanisms related to fatigue in Long COVID, but there are some limitations to consider. The study used a cross-sectional design, meaning it only captured a snapshot of the participants’ brain activity and fatigue levels at one point in time. Longitudinal studies that follow patients over time are needed to determine whether these brain changes are permanent or temporary.
“We have performed a comprehensive assessment of these patients and published several papers on the topic regarding the cognitive and clinical symptoms in Long COVID and its cerebral correlates and biomarkers associations,” Diez-Cirarda and Matias-Guiu said. “Our next step is to assess these patients longitudinally in order to evaluate how these changes evolve over time. Longitudinal results will help in the characterization of the physiopathology of the disease.”
“Moreover, we are interested in the design of specific treatments to improve cognitive and fatigue symptoms in these patients using neuromodulation and cognitive training. We already published one study regarding the efficacy of neuromodulation over fatigue in Long COVID.”
The study, “(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2024.116113) Neural basis of fatigue in post-COVID syndrome and relationships with cognitive complaints and cognition,” was authored by Maria Diez-Cirarda, Miguel Yus-Fuertes, Carmen Polidura, Lidia Gil-Martinez, Cristina Delgado-Alonso, Alfonso Delgado-Álvarez, Natividad Gomez-Ruiz, Maria José Gil-Moreno, Manuela Jorquera, Silvia Oliver-Mas, Ulises Gómez-Pinedo, Jorge Matias-Guiu, Juan Arrazola, and Jordi A Matias-Guiu.

(https://www.psypost.org/how-do-we-really-think-about-infinity-new-research-offers-insights/) How do we really think about infinity? New research offers insights
Sep 22nd 2024, 06:00

A recent study published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition suggests that people do not perceive the infinity symbol (∞) as representing an endless and boundless concept. Instead, individuals often misconstrue it as a concrete number similar to other numerical values. This finding indicates that our minds might process infinity not as an abstract idea distinct from numbers but as just another point on the numerical scale.
The concept of infinity has long intrigued mathematicians and philosophers, yet it remains challenging for most people to grasp. Infinity represents something beyond the limits of numbers—it is endless, unmeasurable, and distinct from any number on a numerical scale. Previous studies have shown that people struggle to fully understand the nature of infinity, often not recognizing it as a truly limitless entity.
However, few studies have directly examined how the infinity symbol is mentally processed when presented alongside concrete numbers. The researchers aimed to fill this gap by investigating whether people intuitively treat the infinity symbol as “the largest” or if they misconceive it as just another number in the sequence of finite values.
“Traditional cognitive science has focused on phenomena grounded in sensory experience, but infinity is entirely different. Understanding infinity requires abstract thinking that goes beyond concrete representations and everyday experiences, which I find both puzzling and challenging,” said study author Michal Pinhas, the principal investigator of (https://www.pinhaslab.com/) the Quantitative Thinking and Cognition Lab at Ariel University.
“In my lab, we explore how people understand and process abstract or nonintuitive mathematical concepts beyond infinity, such as zero and exponential growth. The goal is to gain deeper insights into how the human mind handles concepts that lack direct, concrete connections to everyday experience, and how this influences reasoning and decision-making. I believe that studying these unique and challenging concepts can expand the way we think about numerical representations and processes.”
Pinhas conducted four main experiments, with 120 participants in total, to investigate how people process the infinity symbol compared to numbers. The methodologies used in each experiment were designed to test whether the infinity symbol is perceived as “the largest” or simply as another number. Two main types of tasks were used: numerical comparison tasks and physical comparison tasks.
In the numerical comparison task, participants were presented with pairs of symbols—either numbers or the infinity symbol—and asked to choose which one was larger or smaller. This task required participants to actively evaluate the magnitude of each symbol, focusing on its numerical meaning. The symbols included single digits (like 1, 5, or 9), multidigit numbers (like 44 or 666), and the infinity symbol. This task aimed to determine whether participants intuitively understood infinity as a boundless concept or if they processed it as a large but finite number.
In the physical comparison task, participants were shown pairs of symbols, but they were instructed to ignore the symbols themselves and focus on the size of the frames surrounding them. For example, participants were asked to select the larger or smaller frame, regardless of the symbols inside. The symbols—whether numbers or the infinity symbol—varied in physical size within the frames, with some symbols appearing smaller than others.
This task was designed to assess how participants automatically processed the numerical and physical properties of the symbols, even though they were explicitly told to focus only on the frames. By manipulating the physical size of the symbols, the researchers aimed to determine whether the physical appearance of the infinity symbol subconsciously influenced participants’ judgments, and whether they treated it differently from numbers.
The findings from these tasks were consistent across all the experiments. In the numerical comparison task, participants did not consistently treat the infinity symbol as “the largest” concept, even though it is theoretically larger than any number. For example, when comparing infinity to a small number (like 1 or 5), participants responded quickly when asked to select the larger option.
However, when infinity was compared to a large number (like 999), response times slowed down, suggesting that participants did not automatically perceive infinity as vastly larger than these multidigit numbers. This pattern suggests that participants may have processed the infinity symbol as though it represented a large but finite number rather than an abstract, boundless concept.
The physical comparison task provided further insights. When the infinity symbol was physically smaller than a number it was paired with, participants took longer to respond, suggesting that the physical size of the symbol affected their decision-making. This implies that people rely on visual cues like size to make judgments about the magnitude of symbols, including abstract concepts like infinity.
Interestingly, when the infinity symbol was physically larger than the number it was paired with, participants responded more quickly, reinforcing the idea that the physical size of the symbol played a significant role in how they processed it. Despite these size manipulations, participants did not consistently treat the infinity symbol as an ultimate end-value or “the largest,” as might be expected if they fully grasped its abstract meaning.
“I was surprised to find that, in certain conditions, people processed the infinity symbol as smaller than multidigit numbers,” Pinhas told PsyPost. “This suggests that our automatic, intuitive processing of numerical symbols can sometimes override our conceptual understanding of abstract notions like infinity.”
Another important finding was the “distance-like effect” observed in the numerical comparison task. Normally, when comparing two numbers, people respond faster when the numbers are farther apart in value. A similar effect was seen when participants compared the infinity symbol to numbers: response times increased as the numbers being compared to infinity grew larger. This suggests that participants were incorrectly placing the infinity symbol on a numerical scale alongside concrete numbers, treating it as if it had a measurable value, rather than recognizing it as a concept that represents something beyond all numbers.
“The key takeaway is that while we often think of infinity as ‘the largest’ or ‘something beyond all numbers,’ our minds don’t always process it that way,” Pinhas explained. “People seem to misconceive the infinity symbol (∞) as representing a concrete number, rather than an abstract concept distinct from numbers. This was evident in participants perceiving larger numbers as being closer to infinity than smaller ones.”
While the study provides valuable insights, it also has some limitations. First, the participants were primarily university students from psychology and engineering departments, which means the findings might not generalize to other populations. Future research could explore how people with more extensive training in mathematics, such as mathematicians, process the infinity symbol. Additionally, researchers could investigate whether other representations of infinity, such as the written word “infinity,” lead to similar patterns of misunderstanding.
“This study focused solely on the infinity symbol, and it’s possible that other symbolic representations of infinity might be processed differently,” Pinhas said. “In fact, new research in my lab suggests this may indeed be the case.”
The study opens the door to examining other abstract mathematical concepts. Infinity is unique in that it does not have a concrete counterpart in the physical world, but many other mathematical ideas (like zero or negative numbers) also challenge our intuitive understanding. Exploring how people process these concepts could deepen our understanding of how the human mind grasps abstract numerical information.
“This research highlights how deeply our understanding of numerical concepts is rooted in physical experience,” Pinhas said. “It also raises broader questions about how our minds perceive abstract concepts in general.”
The study was titled: “Perceiving Infinity: An Interplay Between Numerical and Physical Magnitude.”

(https://www.psypost.org/belief-in-alien-visits-to-earth-is-spiralling-out-of-control/) Belief in alien visits to Earth is spiralling out of control
Sep 21st 2024, 20:00

The idea that aliens may have visited the Earth is becoming increasingly popular. Around a fifth of UK citizens (https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/36619-half-britons-think-aliens-exist-and-7-claim-have-s) believe Earth has been visited by extraterrestrials, and an estimated 7% believe that they have seen a UFO.
The (https://thehill.com/homenews/space/4131768-the-truth-is-out-there-more-americans-believe-in-ufos/) figures are even higher in the US – and rising. The number of people who believe UFO sightings offer likely proof of alien life (https://today.yougov.com/technology/articles/43959-more-half-americans-believe-aliens-probably-exist) increased from 20% in 1996 to 34% in 2022. Some 24% of Americans say they’ve seen a UFO.
This belief is slightly paradoxical as we have zero evidence that aliens even exist. What’s more, given the vast distances between star systems, it seems odd we’d only learn about them from a visit. Evidence for aliens is more likely to come from signals from faraway planets.
In a paper (https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/293600954/IAU_Equivocal_Encounters_Paper_2024.pdf) accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, I argue that the belief in alien visitors is no longer a quirk, but a widespread societal problem.
The belief is now rising to the extent that politicians, at least in the US, feel they have to respond. The (https://theconversation.com/the-truth-is-still-out-there-why-the-current-ufo-craze-may-be-a-problem-of-intelligence-failings-163185) disclosure of information about claimed Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena ((https://science.nasa.gov/uap/) UAPs rather than UFOs) from the Pentagon has got a lot of bi-partisan attention in the country.
Much of it plays upon (https://theconversation.com/welcome-to-the-age-of-space-scepticism-and-a-growing-revolt-against-elites-231504) familiar anti-elite tropes that both parties have been ready to use, such as the idea that the military and a secretive cabal of private commercial interests are keeping the deep truth about alien visitation hidden. That truth is believed to involve sightings, abductions and reverse-engineered alien technology.
Belief in a cover-up is even higher than belief in alien visitation. In 2019, a (https://news.gallup.com/poll/266441/americans-skeptical-ufos-say-government-knows.aspx) Gallop poll found that a staggering 68% of Americans believed that “the US government knows more about UFOs than it is telling”.
This political trend has been decades in the making. Jimmy Carter (https://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/18/this-day-in-politics-096937) promised document disclosure during his presidential campaign in 1976, several years after his own reported UFO sighting. Like so many other sightings, the simplest explanation is that he saw Venus. (That happens a lot.)
Hillary Clinton (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qkIW8rEzQ) also suggested she wanted to “open [Pentagon] files as much as I can” during her presidential campaign against Donald Trump. As seen in the video below, Trump suggested he’d need to “think about” whether it was possible to declassify the so-called (https://www.dafhistory.af.mil/Portals/16/documents/AFD-101201-038.pdf) Roswell documentation (relating to the notorious claimed crash of a UFO and the recovery of alien bodies).

Former president Bill Clinton claimed (https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06/john-podesta-leslie-kean-ufo-report-congress) to have sent his chief of staff, John Podesta, down to Area 51, a highly classified US Air Force facility, just in case any of the rumours about alien technology at the site were true. It is worth nothing that Podesta is a long-time enthusiast for all things to do with UFOs.
The most prominent current advocate of document disclosure is the Democratic Senate leader (https://arxiv.org/abs/2402.10900) Chuck Schumer. His (https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/4101345-non-human-intelligence-schumer-proposes-stunning-new-ufo-legislation/) stripped back 2023 UAP disclosure bill for revealing some UAP records was co-sponsored by three Republican senators.
Pentagon disclosure (https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Prelimary-Assessment-UAP-20210625.pdf) finally began during the early stages of Joe Biden’s term of office, but so far there has been nothing to see. Nothing looks like an encounter. Nothing looks close.
Still, the background noise does not go away.
Problems for society
All this is ultimately encouraging conspiracy theories, which could undermine trust in democratic institutions. There have been (https://theconversation.com/internet-jokesters-call-for-people-to-storm-area-51-to-find-aliens-heres-some-science-to-consider-120715) humorous calls to storm Area 51. And after the storming of the Capitol in 2021, this now looks like an increasingly dangerous possibility.
Too much background noise about UFOs and UAPs can also get in the way of legitimate science communication about the possibility of finding microbial extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology, the science dealing with such matters, has a far less effective publicity machine than UFOlogy.
(https://www.youtube.com/HISTORY) History, a YouTube channel part owned by Disney, regularly delivers shows about “ancient aliens”. The show is now in its 20th season and the channel has 13.8 million subscribers. The Nasa astrobiology channel has a hard won 20,000 subscribers. Actual science finds itself badly outnumbered by entertainment repackaged as factual.
Alien visitation narratives have also repeatedly tried to hijack and overwrite the history and mythology of indigenous people.
The first steps in this direction go back to Alexander Kazantsev’s science fiction tale (https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Red_Star_Tales.html?id=zgdvjwEACAAJ&redir_esc=y) Explosion: The Story of a Hypothesis (1946). It presents the (https://www.nasa.gov/history/115-years-ago-the-tunguska-asteroid-impact-event/) 1908 Tunguska meteorite impact event as a Nagasaki-like explosion of an alien spacecraft engine. In Kazantsev’s tale, a single giant black female survivor has been left stranded, equipped with special healing powers. This lead to (https://arxiv.org/abs/2402.10900) her adoption as a shaman (https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/oct/03/the-evenki-people-custodians-of-the-resources-of-yakutia-photo-essay) by the indigenous Evenki people.
Nasa and the space science community do support efforts such as the (https://www.nativeskywatchers.com/about.html) Native Skywatchers initiative set up by the indigenous Ojibwe and Lakota communities to ensure the survival of storytelling about the stars. There is a real and extensive network of indigenous scholarship about these matters.
But UFOlogists promise a far higher profile for indigenous history in return for the mashing together of genuine indigenous stories about life arriving from the skies with fictional tales about UFOs, repackaged as suppressed history.
The modern alien visitation narrative has not, after all, emerged out of indigenous communities. Quite the opposite. It emerged in part as a way for conspiracy-minded thinkers in a Europe torn apart by racism to “explain” how complex urban civilisations in places like South America could have existed prior to European settlement.
Squeezed through (https://escholarship.org/uc/item/69d380bx) a new age filter of 1960s counterculture, the narrative was flipped to value indigenous people (https://www.penn.museum/sites/expedition/scholars-will-call-it-nonsense/) as having once possessed advanced technology. Once upon a time, according to this view, every indigenous civilisation was Wakanda, a fictional country appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.
If all of this stayed in its own box, as entertaining fiction, then matters would be fine. But it doesn’t, and they aren’t. Visitation narratives (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0265964622000467) tend to overwrite indigenous storytelling about sky and ground.
This is a problem for everyone, not just indigenous peoples struggling to continue authentic traditions. It threatens our grasp of the past. When it comes to insight into our remote ancestors, the remnants of prehistoric storytelling are few and precious, such as within indigenous storytelling about the stars.

Take the (https://theconversation.com/the-worlds-oldest-story-astronomers-say-global-myths-about-seven-sisters-stars-may-reach-back-100-000-years-151568) tales of the Pleiades, which date back in standard forms to (https://theconversation.com/the-worlds-oldest-story-astronomers-say-global-myths-about-seven-sisters-stars-may-reach-back-100-000-years-151568) at least 50,000 years ago.
This may be why these tales in particular are heavily targeted by alien visitation enthusiasts, some of whom even claim to be “Pleiadeans”. No surprises, Pleiadeans do not look like the Lakota or Ojibwe, but are strikingly blond, blue-eyed and Nordic.
It is increasingly clear that belief in alien visitation is no longer just a fun speculation, but something that has real and damaging consequences.

This article is republished from (https://theconversation.com) The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the (https://theconversation.com/belief-in-alien-visits-to-earth-is-spiralling-out-of-control-heres-why-thats-so-dangerous-237789) original article.

(https://www.psypost.org/exercise-clothing-satisfaction-influences-body-confidence-and-exercise-motivation-in-plus-size-women/) Exercise clothing satisfaction influences body confidence and exercise motivation in plus-size women
Sep 21st 2024, 18:09

A new study finds that women who wear plus-size exercise clothing experience a contingent relationship between their apparel and physical activity motivation, with dissatisfaction leading to avoidance of exercise. This research was published in (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-024-01494-x) Sex Roles.
Previous research has shown that women with larger bodies face significant stigma, both in broader society and within the fitness industry. Exercise apparel for plus-size women often lacks availability, comfort, and functionality, which can discourage physical activity. Further, women are made to feel that their bodies do not belong in fitness settings, which can lead to negative psychological experiences such as body surveillance and social physique anxiety. These experiences can further hinder physical activity participation.
Researchers Christy Greenleaf and Caitlyn Hauff recruited 130 women who wore a U.S. clothing size of 14 or larger and engaged in physical activity at least two days a week. Participants were primarily White (89.2%) and on average 40.5-years-old. They completed several measures related to clothing size and satisfaction, as well as psychological experiences during physical activity.
To measure satisfaction with plus-size exercise clothing, participants responded to eight items that assessed the availability of options, cost, sizing, fashionability, and functionality of exercise apparel in both in-store and online settings, rated on a 5-point scale. Participants responded to prompts about how their clothing affected their emotions during physical activity and their body image, assessing both positive and negative emotions.
Participants also completed the Body Surveillance Subscale of the Objectified Body Consciousness Scale, which evaluated the extent to which they focused on their body’s appearance rather than its function during physical activity. Social physique anxiety, or the fear of how others perceive one’s body, was measured using the Social Physique Anxiety Scale. Lastly, exercise avoidance motivation was assessed using four items that captured participants’ discomfort in public exercise settings and their tendency to avoid activity due to their body image concerns.
In addition to the quantitative measures, the researchers incorporated a qualitative component. Participants were asked two open-ended questions: how their exercise clothing positively influenced their physical activity and how it negatively influenced it. A coding team consisting of the authors and a research assistant categorized the responses into themes related to clothing characteristics (such as fit, comfort, and style) and psychological responses (such as confidence, motivation, and feelings of belonging).
Women who expressed satisfaction with their clothing reported higher levels of body confidence and more positive emotional experiences while exercising. They described feeling comfortable, happy, and proud when their clothing fit well and performed effectively during physical activity. In contrast, women who were dissatisfied with their exercise apparel experienced higher levels of body surveillance and social physique anxiety. These women reported that poorly fitting or uncomfortable clothing heightened their self-consciousness, leading to negative feelings such as frustration, embarrassment, and discomfort during exercise.
Further, dissatisfaction with plus-size exercise apparel was a strong predictor of exercise avoidance motivation. Women who were unhappy with their clothing were more likely to avoid public exercise spaces, such as gyms or outdoor settings, due to concerns about how their bodies were perceived by others. Negative feelings were linked to poorly fitting or unfashionable clothing, which made participants feel out of place in fitness environments.
Qualitative responses from participants highlighted a contingent relationship between clothing and exercise: when their exercise attire was functional, comfortable, and stylish, they were more motivated to participate in physical activity. However, when their clothing was ill-fitting or uncomfortable, they experienced greater anxiety and a tendency to avoid exercise altogether.
One limitation is that the study did not include a diverse range of clothing sizes, as most participants wore sizes 1X to 3X.
Overall, this research highlights the importance of well-designed, comfortable plus-size exercise clothing in encouraging physical activity among women with larger bodies. Clothing that fits well and aligns with fashion trends can foster confidence and motivation, while poor-quality apparel may act as a barrier to exercise.
The research, “(https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-024-01494-x) When It Fits Wrong, I’m So Self-Conscious I Want to Die! Women’s Experiences Wearing Plus-Size Exercise Clothing”, was authored by Christy Greenleaf and Caitlyn Hauff.

(https://www.psypost.org/high-pitched-female-voices-encourage-male-risk-taking-but-only-if-men-think-it-boosts-their-attractiveness/) High-pitched female voices encourage male risk-taking, but only if men think it boosts their attractiveness
Sep 21st 2024, 12:37

Two experiments in China examined the effects of female voice pitch on male risk-taking behavior. One experiment indicated that high-pitched female voices made men more likely to take risks. The second experiment showed this effect occurred only when men believed risk-taking would increase their attractiveness to women. When men believed women preferred men who are not prone to risk-taking, the opposite effect was observed. The research was published in (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2024.112808) Personality and Individual Differences.
People often engage in behaviors that carry risks, such as hazardous driving, extreme sports, gambling, high-risk investments, and unsafe sexual activities. Despite being aware of potential dangers or negative consequences, individuals adopt these behaviors in pursuit of favorable outcomes.
Typically, when deciding whether to engage in risky behavior, an individual weighs the expected benefits and risks. However, this process is subjective and depends on various factors. For example, evolutionary theory suggests that males are more prone to risk-taking because it signals high genetic quality, enhancing their attractiveness to potential mates. This implies that cues related to mating might prompt males to undertake riskier activities.
One such cue might be the pitch of a female voice, with a higher pitch indicating a woman’s attractiveness and fertility. Study author Qian Tian and colleagues aimed to explore the effects of female voice pitch on male risk-taking behavior. They hypothesized that men exposed to high-pitched female voices would exhibit more risk-taking behavior. To test this, they conducted two experiments.
Participants in the first experiment were 66 young heterosexual men, with an average age of 22. They completed a driving scenario in virtual reality (the Stoplight task) while being navigated by a female voice representing a car’s navigation system. In one group, the voice was low-pitched, while in the other group, it was high-pitched. The scenario was designed so that whenever participants approached an intersection, the traffic light turned yellow. Participants had to decide whether to run the yellow light or stop. The number of times participants chose to run the yellow light served as an indicator of risk-taking behavior.
In the second study, 120 young heterosexual men participated in another virtual reality experiment. They were divided into two groups, with one group listening to a high-pitched female voice and the other to a low-pitched voice. The simulation began in an empty room (in virtual reality) with a blackboard in the center. A female voice (high- or low-pitched, depending on the group) introduced a smart voice product, and participants rated the attractiveness of the voice.
Following this, participants were randomly assigned to one of two texts. Half of the participants read a text stating that women prefer men who are “brave, strong, healthy, sports-loving, and masculine”—a message intended to encourage risk-taking behavior. The other half read a text stating that women prefer men who are “patient, family-oriented, kind, attentive, and mature”—a message intended to discourage risk-taking behavior.
Participants were then placed on a (virtual reality) rooftop of a high-rise building, with a 3-meter-long wooden plank suspended at the edge. A voice instructed them to walk to the end of the plank. The speed at which participants walked was recorded as an indicator of risk-taking behavior.
The results of the first study showed that participants who listened to a high-pitched female voice ran more yellow lights compared to those who listened to the low-pitched voice. The difference was significant, indicating that the high-pitched voice strongly encouraged risk-taking behavior.
In the second study, the effects of the high-pitched female voice depended on context. In the group that was told women prefer men prone to risk-taking, the high-pitched voice increased risk-taking behavior. However, in the group that read the text suggesting women prefer men who are not risk-takers, the high-pitched voice led to much less risk-taking.
“The results revealed that high-pitched female voices promoted male risk-taking behavior, and there was an interaction between voice pitch and sociocultural background. The study demonstrates that individual psychology and behavior are influenced not only by evolutionary factors but also significantly by the socio-cultural context of their development. Male risk-taking behavior exhibits situational sensitivity and results from both natural and cultural adaptations,” the study authors concluded.
The study provides insights into the effects of female voice pitch on male behavior. However, the experiments were conducted using virtual reality, and no real risks were involved. Participants were fully aware that the environment was simulated and that the “risk-taking behaviors” carried no real-life consequences. The results may differ in scenarios involving real and substantial risk.
Additionally, the texts used in the second study might have been interpreted by participants as instructions on how they were expected to behave in the gamified context, raising the possibility that the results were influenced by the Hawthorne effect—participants behaving in ways they believe the researchers expected, rather than how they would normally behave. If this were the case, their behavior outside the research setting might be very different.
The paper, “(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2024.112808) The siren’s call: Exploring the impact of female voice pitch on male risk-taking behavior,” was authored by Qian Tian, Jingyun Ding, and Jiahui Guo.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed