Your Daily digest for NIH Director's Blog Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Tue Oct 15 20:11:08 PDT 2024

NIH Director's Blog Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2024/10/15/commemorating-the-nih-and-voices-for-our-fathers-legacy-foundation-partnership/) Commemorating the NIH and Voices For Our Fathers Legacy Foundation Partnership
Oct 15th 2024, 10:00

NIH Director Dr. Monica Bertagnolli (left of plaque) was joined by (from left) NIH Division Director for Clinical and Healthcare Research Policy Dr. Adam Berger, NIH Principal Deputy Director Dr. Larry Tabak, VFOFLF President Lillie Tyson Head, NIH Associate Director for Science Policy Dr. Lyric Jorgenson, and NLM Acting Director Dr. Stephen Sherry. Credit (all photos): Chia-Chi Charlie Chang, NIH

In September, I was honored to unveil a new plaque in the National Library of Medicine’s Herb Garden commemorating the partnership between NIH and the Voices For Our Fathers Legacy Foundation (VFOFLF). This nonprofit group was organized by the descendants of the Black men unethically treated during a study called, “The United States Public Health Service Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male at Tuskegee and Macon County, Alabama 1932 – 1972.” NIH worked with the Foundation to locate and preserve a collection of physical documents from this study, which are housed at NLM and now available as a (https://collections.nlm.nih.gov/catalog/nlm:nlmuid-2934097R-root) digital collection through the library’s website.

The study was shut down in 1972 after a federal panel deemed it unethical, and the panel’s investigation led to the establishment of the National Research Act in 1974, which created rules to protect participants in research. As we observe the 50th anniversary of the Act’s establishment, we remind ourselves how important it is to be vigilant—to treat every person with the dignity, respect, and care we wish for ourselves.

As it says on the plaque, “Through broader awareness, NIH and VFOFLF hope to shine a light on the injustices dealt to the 625 men in the USPHS study, ensure this chapter in history is never repeated, and build greater trust in current biomedical research.”

Dr. Bertagnolli unveiled the plaque with VFOFLF President Lillie Tyson Head.

Those attending the ceremony included NIH leadership, the Foundation’s executive board and their families, and other special guests.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed