Your Daily digest for Science Daily Mind & Brain

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Thu May 30 01:39:39 PDT 2024

Science Daily Mind & Brain

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240529144225.htm) Menstrual periods are arriving earlier for younger generations, especially among racial minority and lower-income individuals
May 29th 2024, 14:42

The average age at menarche -- the first menstrual period -- has been decreasing among younger generations in the U.S., especially those belonging to racial minorities and lower socioeconomic statuses, according to a new study. It also found that the average time it takes for the menstrual cycle to become regular is increasing.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240529144126.htm) More than just social media use may be causing depression in young adults, study shows
May 29th 2024, 14:41

Over the past few decades, there has been a significant increase in the prevalence of depression in adolescents and young adults -- and a simultaneous uptick in the inclusion of technology and social media in everyday life. In a new study, researchers investigated the association among social media use, depression and other health-related behaviors of young adults over time.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240529144043.htm) Quality over quantity for screen time -- study
May 29th 2024, 14:40

It is what we are looking at, rather than how much time we are spending our time online that influences our health and wellbeing, according to a new report. The study is a comprehensive examination of the latest scientific evidence on screen time and mental health.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240529144015.htm) Hitting the target with non-invasive deep brain stimulation: Potential therapy for addiction, depression, and OCD
May 29th 2024, 14:40

Researchers have successfully tested a novel technique for probing deep into the human brain, without surgery, for potential therapeutic purposes. In the rapidly evolving field of neuroscience, non-invasive brain stimulation is a new hope for understanding and treating a myriad of neurological and psychiatric conditions without surgical intervention or implants.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240528174344.htm) Mechanisms for selective multiple sclerosis treatment strategy
May 28th 2024, 17:43

Researchers have demonstrated how B cells infected with the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) can contribute to a pathogenic, inflammatory phenotype that contributes to multiple sclerosis (MS); the group has also shown how these problematic B cells can be selectively targeted in a way that reduces the damaging autoimmune response of multiple sclerosis.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240528174327.htm) Is it a sound of music...or of speech? Scientists uncover how our brains try to tell the difference
May 28th 2024, 17:43

Music and speech are among the most frequent types of sounds we hear. But how do we identify what we think are differences between the two? An international team of researchers mapped out this process through a series of experiments -- yielding insights that offer a potential means to optimize therapeutic programs that use music to regain the ability to speak in addressing aphasia.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240528115020.htm) Researchers have located the brain network responsible for stuttering
May 28th 2024, 11:50

An international research group succeeded in identifying the probable origin of stuttering in the brain.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240528115015.htm) 'Lean In' messages can lower women's motivation to protest gender inequality
May 28th 2024, 11:50

Women in leadership are often told to 'Lean In', designed to be motivational messaging demonstrating that they are more confident, strategic and resilient to setback. However, new research indicates that such 'lean in' messaging can hinder women's motivation to protest gender equality.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240528115012.htm) Caffeine affects brain dopamine function in patients with Parkinson's disease
May 28th 2024, 11:50

Regular high caffeine consumption affects dopamine function in patients with Parkinson's disease, shows a new international study. Caffeine consumption before undergoing diagnostic brain dopamine imaging may also affect the imaging results.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240527115902.htm) Altering cellular interactions around amyloid plaques may offer novel Alzheimer's treatment strategies
May 27th 2024, 11:59

Researchers made a significant breakthrough in Alzheimer's disease research by identifying a novel way to potentially slow down or even halt disease progression. The study, which focuses on the role of reactive astrocytes and the plexin-B1 protein in Alzheimer's pathophysiology, provides crucial insights into brain cell communication and opens the door to innovative treatment strategies.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240527115859.htm) Brain damage reveals part of the brain necessary for helping others
May 27th 2024, 11:58

Our willingness to help others is governed by a specific brain region pinpointed by researchers in a study of patients with brain damage to that region.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240523112500.htm) YouTubers cheer people up more than casual friends, study suggests
May 23rd 2024, 11:25

One-sided relationships with YouTubers are more emotionally fulfilling than talking to casual friends, a new study suggests.

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240522130348.htm) From ripples to daydreams: The brain activity behind mind wandering
May 22nd 2024, 13:03

Researchers have found that a specific pattern of brain activity, known as 'sharp-wave ripples,' is associated with thoughts that wander from the present situation. This activity begins in the hippocampus, a crucial brain region for memory formation and recall, and is linked to more vivid and less desirable thoughts. A better understanding of the relationship between sharp-wave ripples and these kinds of thoughts might be helpful for treating related conditions.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed