Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Tue Jul 30 13:03:17 PDT 2024

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/ip-2024-045269v1/) Motor vehicle collision (MVC) emergency department (ED) visits and hospitalisations in Ontario during the COVID-19 pandemic
Jul 30th 2024, 13:43

Background
The COVID-19 pandemic policy response dramatically changed local transportation patterns. This project investigated the impact of COVID-19 policies on motor vehicle collision (MVC)-related emergency department (ED) visits and hospitalisations in Ontario.
Methods
Data were collected on MVC-related ED visits and hospitalisations in Ontario between March 2016 and December 2022. Using an interrupted time series design, negative binomial regression models were fitted to the pre-pandemic data, including monthly indicator variables for seasonality and accounting for autocorrelation. Extrapolations simulated expected outcome trajectories during the pandemic, which were compared with actual observed outcome counts using the overall per cent change and mean monthly difference. Data were modelled separately for vehicle occupants, pedestrians and cyclists (MVC and non-MVC injuries).
Results
There was a 31.5% decrease in observed ED visits (95% CI –35.4 to –27.3) and a 6.0% decrease in hospitalisations (95% CI –13.2 to 1.6) among vehicle occupants, relative to expected counts during the pandemic. Results were similar for pedestrians. Among cyclist MVCs, there was an increase in ED visits (12.8%, 95% CI –8.2 to 39.4) and hospitalisations (46.0%, 95% CI 11.6 to 93.6). Among non-MVC cyclists, there was also an increase in ED visits (47.0%, 95% CI 12.5 to 86.8) and hospitalisations (50.1%, 95% CI 8.2 to 101.2).
Conclusions
We observed fewer vehicle occupant and pedestrian collision injuries than expected during the pandemic. By contrast, we observed more cycling injuries than expected, especially in cycling injuries not involving motor vehicles. These observations may be attributable to changes in transportation patterns during the pandemic and increased uptake of recreational cycling.

(https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/early/2024/06/13/ip-2024-045269?rss=1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/ip-2024-045269v1/) Motor vehicle collision (MVC) emergency department (ED) visits and hospitalisations in Ontario during the COVID-19 pandemic was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lhb0000563/) The effect of confession evidence on jurors’ verdict decisions: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:26

Law and Human Behavior, Vol 48(3), Jun 2024, 163-181; doi:10.1037/lhb0000563
Objective: Over the past 4 decades, discrepant research findings have emerged in the juror–confession literature, prompting the need for a systematic review and meta-analysis that assesses the effect of confession evidence (coerced or noncoerced) on conviction rates and the efficacy of trial safeguards. Hypotheses: We did not predict any directional hypotheses. Some studies show increased convictions when a confession is present (vs. not), regardless of whether that confession was coerced; other studies demonstrate that jurors are able to discount coerced confessions. Studies have also demonstrated sensitivity effects (safeguards aided jurors in making appropriate decisions), skepticism effects (safeguards led jurors to indiscriminately disregard confession evidence), or null effects with regard to expert testimony and jury instructions. Method: We identified 83 independent samples (N = 24,860) that met our meta-analytic inclusion criteria. Using extracted Hedges’ g effect sizes, we conducted both network meta-analysis and metaregression to address key research questions. Results: Coerced and noncoerced confessions (vs. no confession) increased convictions (network gs = 0.34 and 0.70, respectively), yet coerced (vs. noncoerced) confessions reduced convictions (network g = −0.36). When jury instructions were employed (vs. not), convictions in coerced confession cases were reduced (this difference did not emerge for noncoerced confessions; a sensitivity effect). Expert testimony, however, reduced conviction likelihood regardless of whether a confession was coerced (a skepticism effect). Conclusion: Confession evidence is persuasive, and although jurors appear to recognize the detrimental effect of coercive interrogation methods on confession reliability, they do not fully discount unreliable confessions. Educational safeguards are therefore needed, but more research is encouraged to identify the most effective forms of jury instructions and expert testimony. One potential reform could be in the interrogation room itself, as science-based interviewing approaches could provide jurors with more reliable defendant statement evidence that assists them in reaching appropriate verdict decisions. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/lhb0000563) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lhb0000563/) The effect of confession evidence on jurors’ verdict decisions: A systematic review and meta-analysis. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lhb0000565/) Court-reported competence to proceed data across the United States.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:26

Law and Human Behavior, Vol 48(3), Jun 2024, 182-202; doi:10.1037/lhb0000565
Objective: Competence to proceed (CTP) is a constitutional protection intended to facilitate fairness and dignity of court proceedings. Researchers have estimated that between 60,000 and 94,000 defendants are evaluated for CTP each year. Yet no research has systematically identified the number of evaluations conducted each year, despite their critical role and many profound implications. We used large-scale, systematic data collection to address this knowledge gap. Hypotheses: Given the siloed nature of the judicial and forensic mental health systems, we anticipated incomplete data and that the number of evaluations would far exceed previous estimates. Method: In September 2019, we used public information requests to solicit CTP evaluation order data from the judiciaries of 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons. We accepted evaluation proxies, such as evaluations ordered or evaluations filed, from the 2018/2019 calendar/fiscal year. We used Uniform Crime Reporting data to estimate a nationwide evaluation-to-arrest ratio and annual evaluation volume. Results: Twenty-five states provided data. We deemed data from 18 states acceptable while acknowledging that data likely underrepresented actual evaluation volume. By extrapolating data from these 18 states, we estimated a conservative national evaluation-to-arrest ratio of 0.015 (95% confidence interval [−0.007, 0.037]), which suggested that 15 evaluations are conducted per 1,000 arrests each year. Consequently, it seems likely that at least 140,000 evaluations are ordered each year nationwide, with several hundred people referred for evaluations each day. Conclusions: Annual CTP evaluation volume likely far exceeds previous estimates. Transparent data are difficult, if not impossible, to obtain. As a result, researchers, legal and forensic mental health professionals, and policymakers lack the ability to implement informed, constitutionally protected CTP practices. Key implications, research directions, and detailed data infrastructure recommendations are provided. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/lhb0000565) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lhb0000565/) Court-reported competence to proceed data across the United States. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tep0000482/) Introduction to the special issue on training and educating antiracist psychologists: What are we doing and where do we go from here?
Jul 30th 2024, 13:26

Training and Education in Professional Psychology, Vol 18(3), Aug 2024, 177-182; doi:10.1037/tep0000482
Herein, we introduce a special issue on initiatives to train and educate antiracist psychologists. These 10 articles are timely and important in the current sociopolitical climate. We provide an overview of the articles and conclude with recommendations for next steps in training psychologists who seek to promote collective well-being by critically examining oppressive structures that uphold racism and actively addressing barriers and inequities that have adversely impacted people of color in America. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/tep0000482) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tep0000482/) Introduction to the special issue on training and educating antiracist psychologists: What are we doing and where do we go from here? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tep0000452/) Diversity, equity, inclusion, justice, and antiracism statements by clinical psychological science programs: A mixed methods analysis of public commitments.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:26

Training and Education in Professional Psychology, Vol 18(3), Aug 2024, 183-193; doi:10.1037/tep0000452
Clinical psychological science is long overdue to incorporate antiracism and social justice as core principles. To evaluate the current state of clinical science training programs’ public-facing statements on antiracism and diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (ADEIJ), we formed a workgroup under the guidance of the Academy of Psychological Clinical Science (APCS) Task Force to Center Racial and Social Justice in Clinical Science. Our workgroup evaluated the public-facing web materials of 78 APCS doctoral and internship programs. Following existing frameworks that have conceptualized the development of multicultural organizations, we evaluated the degree to which materials mentioned inclusivity, acknowledged inequities, and reported planned and enacted actions to promote ADEIJ. We examined rationales for engaging in this work, differentiating between moral and instrumental rationales. Results showed not all programs had ADEIJ statements, but a coding scheme can reliably assess existing statements. While all programs mentioned inclusivity and most acknowledged inequities, some had subtle or implicit exclusionary language, and a minority described concrete actions. Current efforts within our field may represent more symbolic than identity or structural change. Our findings inform recommendations for improving the efforts of training programs. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/tep0000452) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tep0000452/) Diversity, equity, inclusion, justice, and antiracism statements by clinical psychological science programs: A mixed methods analysis of public commitments. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lhb0000567/) Rearrest is associated with heightened callous–unemotional traits: No moderating effect of maternal relationship quality.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:26

Law and Human Behavior, Vol 48(3), Jun 2024, 203-213; doi:10.1037/lhb0000567
Objective: The presence of callous–unemotional (CU) traits in adolescence predisposes youth to negative behavioral and social outcomes and may be particularly damaging to youth involved in the justice system. Whereas research has shown that CU traits predict later arrest, it remains unknown whether rearrest predicts changes in CU traits and whether these associations may be modified by maternal relationship quality. The present study assessed whether being rearrested predicted changes in CU traits and whether these associations varied by maternal warmth and maternal hostility. Hypotheses: We hypothesized that self-reported CU traits would increase at data collection time points following rearrest. Further, we hypothesized that maternal warmth would buffer the negative effects of rearrest, whereas maternal hostility would not have a significant moderating effect on the associations. Method: Hypotheses were tested using a large, multisite longitudinal data set of 1,216 justice-involved male youth (Mage = 15.82 years at baseline; 47% Latino, 38% Black/African American, 15% White). Data from a series of nine interviews (across a 7-year period) were used to determine associations between rearrest at one-time point and CU traits at the subsequent time point. Results: Rearrest is associated with a significant increase in CU traits. However, these associations are not moderated by either maternal warmth or maternal hostility. Conclusions: Rearrest predicts increases in a known risk factor for healthy socioemotional development among justice-involved youths (CU traits). Moreover, the way rearrest is associated with CU traits does not change depending on maternal warmth; rearrest is associated with increases in CU traits irrespective of the quality of a youth’s relationship with their mother. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/lhb0000567) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lhb0000567/) Rearrest is associated with heightened callous–unemotional traits: No moderating effect of maternal relationship quality. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tep0000469/) Grad psych stats: Toward a socially responsive recentering.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:25

Training and Education in Professional Psychology, Vol 18(3), Aug 2024, 194-203; doi:10.1037/tep0000469
We examined how a two-staged approach to recentering statistics courses in scientist–practitioner psychology (PhD) programs led to changes in course evaluations. Because course evaluations (up to three per student) were nested within the individual, we evaluated three dimensions of course evaluations (i.e., perceived value to the student, traditional pedagogy, socially responsive pedagogy) with multilevel models. In the first stage, the transition from SPSS to R (a shift from fee-based to zero-cost, open-source, software) negatively impacted students’ perceived value of the course (B = −0.40, p = .001) and evaluation of traditional pedagogy (B = −0.56, p
(https://doi.org/10.1037/tep0000469) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tep0000469/) Grad psych stats: Toward a socially responsive recentering. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/rmh0000261/) Primary care models and depression outcomes in rural adult populations: A systematic review.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:25

Journal of Rural Mental Health, Vol 48(3), Jul 2024, 145-155; doi:10.1037/rmh0000261
Rural populations rely on primary care services for depression care due to shortages and maldistributions of specialty mental health care favoring urban areas. Yet, it is unknown which primary care models are effective at reducing depressive symptoms and emergency department (ED) use for depression among rural populations. The purpose of this systematic review is to synthesize the effectiveness of primary care models on depressive symptoms and ED utilization for depression in rural populations. PubMed, APA PsycInfo, CINAHL, and reference lists of included studies were searched. Eligible articles focused on the impact of primary care models on depressive symptoms or ED utilization for depression among rural populations in the United States. Seventeen studies met the inclusion criteria. Three care models were identified in the studies, including collaborative care (i.e., team-based integrated care that tracks patient populations with a registry; n = 7), tele-psychotherapy (i.e., identification of patients in primary care and referral to virtual psychotherapy; n = 6), or self-management support (i.e., identification of patients in primary care and referral to community support for depression self-management; n = 4). These care models were associated with improved patient-reported depressive symptoms such as Patient Health Questionnaire reported remission of depression (score
(https://doi.org/10.1037/rmh0000261) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/rmh0000261/) Primary care models and depression outcomes in rural adult populations: A systematic review. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tep0000460/) Evaluation of a multicultural competence curriculum in a psychology-based counseling program.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:25

Training and Education in Professional Psychology, Vol 18(3), Aug 2024, 204-212; doi:10.1037/tep0000460
While it is an ethical imperative to provide multiculturally competent training, training programs vary widely in implementation. Further, the empirical evidence assessing the effectiveness of multiculturally competent training is limited. This study adds to the literature by describing a multicultural curriculum grounded in multicultural competence and providing empirical data assessing the curriculum. Our multicultural curriculum is implemented in a psychology-based counseling program and was assessed in 2010–2019, whereby 95 students completed self-report measures of awareness and knowledge as well as an evaluative assessment of multicultural competence. The measures were completed before engaging in the curriculum and repeated once they completed the curriculum. Findings indicate that the curriculum was associated with growth in self-reported awareness and knowledge but not growth in multicultural competence knowledge evaluated by a standardized test. Our clinical skills course with an accompanying self-awareness curriculum was associated with greater changes in self-reported awareness than any other element of our curriculum. Additional analyses suggest that baseline self-reported knowledge could be an impediment to gains in self-reported awareness. The results underscore the importance of combined awareness and skill development for continuous learning. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/tep0000460) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tep0000460/) Evaluation of a multicultural competence curriculum in a psychology-based counseling program. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/rmh0000265/) Suicide risk in U.S. adults: Alcohol misuse, veteran status, and urbanization comparison.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:25

Journal of Rural Mental Health, Vol 48(3), Jul 2024, 156-167; doi:10.1037/rmh0000265
Suicide is a pressing public health concern. Identifying risk factors and understanding their interplay is vital for effective prevention and intervention. This study examined the association of alcohol misuse, veteran status, and urbanization on suicide risk among U.S. adults. Using data from the 2015–2020 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), a cross-sectional analysis was conducted on a representative sample of U.S. adults. To determine overall risk for suicide, adjusted odds ratios were calculated through multivariable adjusted multinomial logistic regression. The study utilized self-report survey data collected from noninstitutionalized U.S. population. The NSDUH utilized a stratified multistage probability sampling method to ensure representative data collection. Suicide risk did not differ significantly between urban and rural areas. Heavy drinking increased risk for suicide ideation and attempts among urban veterans and nonveterans. Binge drinking had a positive association with suicide ideation in urban nonveterans. In rural areas, alcohol misuse did not significantly influence suicide risk among veterans. Alcohol misuse is a significant risk factor for suicide among both veterans and nonveterans in urban settings. Tailored suicide prevention strategies that account for urbanization and veteran status are critically needed. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/rmh0000265) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/rmh0000265/) Suicide risk in U.S. adults: Alcohol misuse, veteran status, and urbanization comparison. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/sah0000420/) Mental health of Indonesian university students: U.K. comparison and relationship between mental health shame and self-compassion.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:25

Stigma and Health, Vol 9(3), Aug 2024, 239-248; doi:10.1037/sah0000420
While the Indonesian higher education has been growing rapidly, poor student mental health including a high level of mental health shame is a cause for concern in Indonesia. This study aimed to evaluate their mental health, shame, and self-compassion. One hundred fifty six participants completed self-report measures regarding mental health problems (depression, anxiety, and stress), mental health shame (negative attitudes, and external, internal, and reflected shame), and self-compassion. Data were first compared with 145 U.K. students, then correlation and regression analyses were performed. Indonesian students showed higher levels of mental health problems, family-related mental health shame, and self-compassion than U.K. students. Each type of mental health problem and mental health shame were positively associated with each other. Self-compassion was negatively associated with mental health problems, but not with mental health shame. Self-compassion was consistently the strongest predictor of mental health problems. Among the mental health shame types, only family external shame predicted the level of depression. Self-compassion training and mental health education for their family are recommended to protect the mental health of university students in Indonesia. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/sah0000420) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/sah0000420/) Mental health of Indonesian university students: U.K. comparison and relationship between mental health shame and self-compassion. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/rmh0000257/) Mental ill-health in rural and metropolitan dwelling Australian youth during the first COVID-19 wave.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:25

Journal of Rural Mental Health, Vol 48(3), Jul 2024, 168-179; doi:10.1037/rmh0000257
The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and associated mitigation measures have been associated with significant levels of psychological distress. Published research on Australian youth has highlighted poor mental health in this population during the pandemic; however, no studies have reported data using clinical self-report measures from the first pandemic wave, and no data exist that compare rural versus metropolitan populations, despite notable preexisting vulnerabilities in rural youth. Data were collected from 718 residents of New South Wales between 16 and 25 years of age (Mage = 21.1 ± 2.80 years, 78.3% female). Participants were subdivided into “rural and remote” (n = 66) to compare against “inner regional” (n = 243) and “major metropolitan” (n = 409) dwellers. Mental health measures assessed depression, anxiety, stress, adjustment disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, substance misuse, and psychological resilience. Results indicated that irrespective of location, high levels of distress were reported. Rural/regional participants reported higher adjustment disorder symptoms and lower trait resilience than metropolitan participants. Inner regional participants also reported higher depression, stress, and problematic drug and alcohol use symptoms. Rural and remote dwellers had an increased likelihood of extremely severe depression (adjOR 1.79, 95% CI [1.00, 3.18]) and stress (adjOR 2.54, 95% CI [1.24, 5.20]) compared to metropolitan dwellers. The inner regional dwellers were at a 48% increased likelihood of problematic drug or alcohol use (adjOR 1.48, 95% CI [1.05, 2.10]). Results underscore the prevalence of mental ill-health in Australian youth at the start of the pandemic, as well as the relatively higher mental health burden in rural youth. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/rmh0000257) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/rmh0000257/) Mental ill-health in rural and metropolitan dwelling Australian youth during the first COVID-19 wave. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/sah0000432/) Stigmatization of anorexia nervosa versus atypical anorexia nervosa: An experimental study.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:24

Stigma and Health, Vol 9(3), Aug 2024, 249-257; doi:10.1037/sah0000432
Stigmatization of anorexia nervosa (AN) includes paradoxical attributions of both personal responsibility and feelings of admiration. Despite comparable severity to AN, atypical AN (i.e., meeting all criteria for anorexia nervosa without having low weight) is perceived as a less serious illness. While stigmatization has been compared across eating disorders and within a single eating disorder diagnosis (i.e., varying severity of a specific eating disorder), there are no investigations of how stigmatization may compare across full and subthreshold presentations. The present study experimentally tested the stigma associated with AN versus atypical AN and hypothesized that atypical AN may be associated with greater stigma because individuals do not meet the low-weight criterion. One hundred participants (77.9% female, Mage = 19.06, MBMI = 23.34) were randomly assigned to read either a vignette describing a female with AN or a vignette describing a female with atypical AN. Following the vignette, participants completed measures of eating disorder stigma. Hypotheses were tested using univariate analysis of covariance (ANCOVA). Participants randomized to the atypical AN condition assigned the target significantly greater levels of overall stigma (p = .037) and illness controllability (p = .031) than participants in the AN condition; however, there were no significant differences across conditions in assignments of selfishness/vanity (p = .094) or illness trivialization (p = .050). Individuals with atypical AN may be viewed as having a more controllable illness than individuals with AN, underscoring the complexity of AN stigmatization, particularly for nonprototypical presentations. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/sah0000432) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/sah0000432/) Stigmatization of anorexia nervosa versus atypical anorexia nervosa: An experimental study. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000375/) The dual-process approach to human sociality: Meta-analytic evidence for a theory of internalized heuristics for self-preservation.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:24

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 126(5), May 2024, 719-757; doi:10.1037/pspa0000375
[Correction Notice: An Erratum for this article was reported in Vol 126(5) of Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (see record 2025-05381-001). The last entry in the Roch et al. (2000) row in Table 3 should appear instead as load decreases taking. All versions of this article have been corrected.] Which social decisions are influenced by intuitive processes? Which by deliberative processes? The dual-process approach to human sociality has emerged in the last decades as a vibrant and exciting area of research. Yet a perspective that integrates empirical and theoretical work is lacking. This review and meta-analysis synthesizes the existing literature on the cognitive basis of cooperation, altruism, truth telling, positive and negative reciprocity, and deontology and develops a framework that organizes the experimental regularities. The meta-analytic results suggest that intuition favors a set of heuristics that are related to the instinct for self-preservation: people avoid being harmed, avoid harming others (especially when there is a risk of harm to themselves), and are averse to disadvantageous inequalities. Finally, this article highlights some key research questions to further advance our understanding of the cognitive foundations of human sociality. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/pspa0000375) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000375/) The dual-process approach to human sociality: Meta-analytic evidence for a theory of internalized heuristics for self-preservation. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/sah0000437/) Evaluation of the StigmaWatch program’s impact on media portrayals of suicide and mental illness.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:24

Stigma and Health, Vol 9(3), Aug 2024, 258-267; doi:10.1037/sah0000437
SANE Australia’s StigmaWatch program promotes responsible reporting of mental illness and suicide in the Australian media by contacting media professionals about portrayals that breach the Mindframe media guidelines. Overall, it aims to reduce stigma and other harms stemming from problematic media portrayals of suicide and mental illness. Using data routinely collected through StigmaWatch from 2017 to 2021, this study aimed to explore the impact of StigmaWatch on confirmed breaches of media guidelines and the trends in media items being reported to StigmaWatch, including by type of illness, breach type, and publication. A total of 1,300 reports of harmful or stigmatizing media portrayals of suicide and mental illness were lodged to StigmaWatch between 2017 and 2021. Of these, 700 (53.8%) were confirmed to be unique breaches of the Mindframe guidelines, and almost half (44.3%) were modified following feedback from StigmaWatch. Most of the confirmed breaches that were reported to StigmaWatch were related to media portrayals of suicide (n = 491, 70.1%). For media portrayals of people with a mental illness (n = 191, 28.9%), portrayals of people with schizophrenia were the most commonly reported and confirmed breaches. The most commonly confirmed breaches of the Mindframe guidelines were as follows: mentioning suicide or self-harm method; using sensationalized language to describe suicide or mental illness; using the term “commit suicide”; and not including help-seeking information. These findings demonstrate the impact of StigmaWatch and have important implications for improving StigmaWatch practices and for future research to better inform these practices. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/sah0000437) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/sah0000437/) Evaluation of the StigmaWatch program’s impact on media portrayals of suicide and mental illness. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000406/) Correction to “The dual-process approach to human sociality: Meta-analytic evidence for a theory of internalized heuristics for self-preservation” by Capraro (2024).
Jul 30th 2024, 13:24

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 126(5), May 2024, 757; doi:10.1037/pspa0000406
Reports an error in “The dual-process approach to human sociality: Meta-analytic evidence for a theory of internalized heuristics for self-preservation” by Valerio Capraro (Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Advanced Online Publication, Jan 15, 2024, np). The last entry in the Roch et al. (2000) row in Table 3 should appear instead as load decreases taking. All versions of this article have been corrected. (The following abstract of the original article appeared in record 2024-43816-001.) Which social decisions are influenced by intuitive processes? Which by deliberative processes? The dual-process approach to human sociality has emerged in the last decades as a vibrant and exciting area of research. Yet a perspective that integrates empirical and theoretical work is lacking. This review and meta-analysis synthesizes the existing literature on the cognitive basis of cooperation, altruism, truth telling, positive and negative reciprocity, and deontology and develops a framework that organizes the experimental regularities. The meta-analytic results suggest that intuition favors a set of heuristics that are related to the instinct for self-preservation: people avoid being harmed, avoid harming others (especially when there is a risk of harm to themselves), and are averse to disadvantageous inequalities. Finally, this article highlights some key research questions to further advance our understanding of the cognitive foundations of human sociality. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/pspa0000406) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000406/) Correction to “The dual-process approach to human sociality: Meta-analytic evidence for a theory of internalized heuristics for self-preservation” by Capraro (2024). was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/sah0000428/) Disclosing mental illness to share or test stigma? Disclosure motivations and disclosure directness.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:24

Stigma and Health, Vol 9(3), Aug 2024, 268-277; doi:10.1037/sah0000428
Satisfying disclosures for people with mental illness can reduce health disparities by improving access to valuable social and informational support. In an experimental and correlational study (Total N = 364), the present work documented relationships between two commonly cited disclosure motivations and disclosure directness, or the degree to which one explicitly discusses their stigma during a disclosure experience, because disclosure directness has been documented as a new predictor of satisfying disclosures. Using a sample of Americans living with mental illness, experimental findings (Study 1) highlight that participants with stigma-sharing motivations, or those which focus on sharing one’s stigma and related experiences with the disclosure recipient, utilized more direct disclosures, relative to participants with stigma-testing motivations, or those that focus on figuring out the recipient’s attitude toward one’s mental illness. Structural equation modeling in Study 2 suggested that stigma-testing motivations were associated with more negative disclosure experiences through reducing disclosure directness, while stigma-sharing motivations produced the opposite pattern of results. Moreover, Study 2 suggested that disclosure motivations can have downstream effects on perceptions of public stigma and psychological distress symptoms through an indirect effect on disclosure directness and satisfaction. Together, this work reviews the significance of documenting disclosure motivations and disclosure directness in disclosure research and highlights the potential benefit of reframing disclosure motivations to impact the positivity of disclosure experiences for people living with concealable stigmas. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/sah0000428) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/sah0000428/) Disclosing mental illness to share or test stigma? Disclosure motivations and disclosure directness. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000361/) The effect of configural processing on mentalization.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:24

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 126(5), May 2024, 758-778; doi:10.1037/pspa0000361
Eight studies (N = 2,561) reveal that how we perceptually process a person’s face affects our capacity to understand their mind. Studies 1A and B indicate this relationship functions via two separate pathways: (a) indirectly by increasing our sensitivity to the cues of a mind in a face and (b) directly by changing the way we relate to the mind behind the face. Six additional studies adopt perspective taking paradigms to provide further support for a direct effect of configural processing on mentalization. Studies 2 and 3 find that processing faces configurally increases perspective taking on spatial tasks compared to processing faces featurally. Study 4 demonstrates configural face processing gives rise to inferences about the target’s mental states such as beliefs and desires. Study 5 finds manipulation of a target’s face that heightens configural processing increases perspective taking. Using a positive control, Study 6 demonstrates real-world consequences. Taken together, these findings document that the multiple and complex consequences of configural processing are critical to the social function of mentalization. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/pspa0000361) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000361/) The effect of configural processing on mentalization. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/spq0000653/) Improving student outcomes through interprofessional and interagency collaboration.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:23

School Psychology, Vol 39(4), Jul 2024, 349-352; doi:10.1037/spq0000653
The articles in this special issue collectively provide important information about engagement, perceptions, and experiences that enhance our understanding of the current context of educational and health care delivery across systems of care; the importance of perspectives of collaboration and engagement in collaborations; and the direct benefits of interagency collaboration (IAC) on improving mental health among students. Moreover, these articles highlight the importance of specific training and interprofessional collaboration (IPC) and the importance of ethical considerations in IPC and IAC. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/spq0000653) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/spq0000653/) Improving student outcomes through interprofessional and interagency collaboration. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lat0000249/) Protective factors for multiple forms of interpersonal violence experienced by adolescent Latinas.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:23

Journal of Latinx Psychology, Vol 12(3), Aug 2024, 211-227; doi:10.1037/lat0000249
Interpersonal violence during adolescence is associated with a variety of detrimental physical and mental health outcomes. Cross-sectional data from Latinas (n = 1,087) attending 19 high schools in Colorado during the 2017–2018 school year were analyzed to capture protective factors associated with interpersonal violence victimization. The purpose of the present study is to inform the literature on the potential protective factors for multiple forms of victimization experienced by adolescent Latinas. A series of multiple regression models were conducted for the outcomes of peer victimization, dating violence victimization, sexual violence victimization, and polyvictimization. Specifically, the eight protective factors included family support, positive friends, generosity, trusted adults, healthy activities, spirituality, access to counseling, and access to medical services. Results indicated that family support, access to counseling, access to medical services, and healthy activities were each negatively associated with various forms of interpersonal victimization. However, other “protective factors” like generosity and trusted adults were positively associated with other forms of interpersonal victimization. As the Latinx community continues to grow in the United States, it is imperative that interpersonal violence prevention approaches center the experiences of adolescent Latinas. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/lat0000249) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lat0000249/) Protective factors for multiple forms of interpersonal violence experienced by adolescent Latinas. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/spq0000603/) Collaborative mental health for children: Perspectives of school and clinical psychologists.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:23

School Psychology, Vol 39(4), Jul 2024, 353-365; doi:10.1037/spq0000603
There is a need for increased collaboration between mental health providers who work with children and youth to increase continuity of care across settings. While schools can be an optimal location for mental health support, school psychologists often have to work with clinical providers given the increases in youth mental health needs and the shortage of school-based providers. This study used an online survey with a mixed-methods approach to understand the collaboration practices of school and clinical psychologists. A sample of 57 practitioners in the United States were asked to provide their perceptions of the roles of their interagency providers, their collaboration practices, and the benefits or barriers in the collaboration process. Findings indicated differences in providers’ perceptions of the quality of assessments conducted and the importance of particular psychological practices to the roles of clinical and school psychologists. Content analysis of open-ended responses found that while providers acknowledge the benefits of collaboration there was distrust among providers. Implications for training programs and future research directions are discussed. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/spq0000603) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/spq0000603/) Collaborative mental health for children: Perspectives of school and clinical psychologists. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/spq0000569/) Importance, quality, and engagement: School mental health providers’ perceptions regarding within-district transition care coordination practices.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:23

School Psychology, Vol 39(4), Jul 2024, 366-376; doi:10.1037/spq0000569
Although care coordination (CC; i.e., the organization of care activities between professionals to facilitate appropriate service delivery; McDonald et al., 2007) has yet to be studied extensively within schools, preliminary research suggests coordinating school mental health supports can be beneficial (Francis et al., 2021) and that interprofessional and interagency collaboration is warranted to meet student needs (McClain et al., 2022). We examined the perceptions of school mental health providers (SMHPs) regarding importance, quality, and engagement with within-district transition CC practices within a multitiered system of support framework. Participants were 163 SMHPs who endorsed being involved in designing, providing, or implementing mental health services in a U.S. school district. The three scales used to measure engagement with CC practices were based on the Care Coordination Measures Atlas (McDonald et al., 2014) and were found to have promising preliminary psychometrics. Descriptive statistics indicated SMHPs endorsed CC as very important but perceived school and district personnel to view it as less important, reported their own quality of CC was slightly above that of their school and district, and regularly engaged in broad CC practices. Moreover, bivariate correlations indicated SMHP’s personal views of CC importance were not associated with the quality of school and district CC, yet engagement in broad CC activities was associated with transition facilitation practices, and attitudes about CC were associated with engagement in broad CC activities. Implications of findings are discussed. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/spq0000569) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/spq0000569/) Importance, quality, and engagement: School mental health providers’ perceptions regarding within-district transition care coordination practices. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lat0000250/) Patterns of Latina mothers’ emotion-related beliefs and behaviors: Associations with consejos in the family.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:23

Journal of Latinx Psychology, Vol 12(3), Aug 2024, 228-244; doi:10.1037/lat0000250
Prior literature has identified parents’ emotion-coaching philosophy, a form of emotion socialization, as beneficial for children’s socioemotional development. To date, most research in this domain has failed to proportionally represent Latinx families in samples, and as a result, less is known about the unique ways that Latinx families may teach children about emotion. In the present study, we focused on Latina mothers’ patterns of emotion-related beliefs and behaviors. Further, we explored how consejos, or sayings in Latinx culture that convey advice and wisdom, were linked to these patterns. Participants were 40 Latina mothers of daughters. Mothers reported on their demographics, beliefs about emotion, and emotion socialization behaviors and participated in an open-ended interview about consejos in the family. Interviews were coded for presence/absence of identified themes: women’s roles, morality, cautionary, and inspirational. Cluster analysis identified three patterns of Latina mothers’ emotion-related beliefs and behaviors: value yet uninvolved, guiding and supportive, and wary and nonsupportive. Mothers’ use of women’s roles themes was linked to less likelihood of membership in the guiding and supportive cluster. Higher maternal education increased the odds that mothers belonged in the value yet uninvolved and decreased the odds that mothers belonged in the wary and nonsupportive cluster. Results suggest that Latina mothers may engage in emotion coaching differently than what prior literature on European American parents has indicated and that consejos are a culturally relevant socialization tool that Latina mothers may use to teach their daughters about emotion. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/lat0000250) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lat0000250/) Patterns of Latina mothers’ emotion-related beliefs and behaviors: Associations with <em>consejos</em> in the family. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lat0000252/) Examining the role of identity development and cultural stressors in the establishment of a U.S. identity among Hispanic/Latinx college students.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:23

Journal of Latinx Psychology, Vol 12(3), Aug 2024, 245-260; doi:10.1037/lat0000252
Understanding the processes that guide the development of a U.S. identity (USI) has become an increasingly important task. While a positive USI has been shown to play an important role in psychosocial adjustment, few studies have examined factors that contribute to USI development, particularly among Hispanic/Latinx emerging adults. Addressing this gap, the present study examined the role that personal and ethnic/racial identity (ERI) development and cultural stressors (i.e., discrimination and bicultural stress) play in USI development among 416 Hispanic/Latinx emerging adults (84.3% female; Mage = 20.57 years; SD = 2.38 years). Whereas ERI and personal identity commitment were positively associated with dimensions of USI, discrimination was negatively associated with USI. Furthermore, results found significant interactions between ERI and discrimination, such that at high levels of discrimination, ERI affirmation was more strongly related with USI affirmation and exploration. In contrast, as bicultural stress increased, ERI exploration was less strongly associated with USI exploration. Taken together, these results highlight the important factors contributing to USI development among Hispanic/Latinx populations. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/lat0000252) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/lat0000252/) Examining the role of identity development and cultural stressors in the establishment of a U.S. identity among Hispanic/Latinx college students. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/spq0000622/) PlanoUp!: A pilot program for the identification and treatment of depression for youth in low-income secondary schools.
Jul 30th 2024, 13:23

School Psychology, Vol 39(4), Jul 2024, 377-386; doi:10.1037/spq0000622
Rates of depression in youth are continuing to increase at a steady rate, yet these youth often do not receive mental health services (Bertha & Balázs, 2013; Thomas et al., 2011). Schools are an ideal setting to connect youth to mental health services; however, many barriers exist with respect to schools having adequate resources and access to the appropriate levels of services (Duong et al., 2021; Owens & Peltier, 2002). Schools may collaborate with local community providers with available resources to address these gaps. The current article describes the pilot of a school-based mental health promotion program intended to reduce depression in youth by promoting access to care through referrals to community providers. Data were collected, via self-report measures, every 3 months for 12 months from students from three middle and high schools in North Texas. The students (N = 88) enrolled in this program experienced significant reductions in their depression symptoms at the end of 12 months. This program highlights the importance of school–community partnerships to promote access to care to address mental health concerns. The results from our pilot study demonstrate the feasibility and the potential of school-based programs in improving the mental health of youth in schools through community partnership. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://doi.org/10.1037/spq0000622) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/spq0000622/) PlanoUp!: A pilot program for the identification and treatment of depression for youth in low-income secondary schools. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/migration-and-health-the-hidden-global-public-health-crisis/) Migration and health: the hidden global public health crisis
Jul 30th 2024, 12:41

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/open-access-journal-articles/migration-and-health-the-hidden-global-public-health-crisis/) Migration and health: the hidden global public health crisis was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/dq240402b-eng-htm-3/) Canada: Registered retirement savings plan contributions, 2022
Jul 30th 2024, 12:26

In 2022, tax filers contributed a total of $54.2 billion to registered retirement savings plans, down 3.4% from 2021.
(https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/240402/dq240402b-eng.htm) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/dq240402b-eng-htm-3/) Canada: Registered retirement savings plan contributions, 2022 was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/1554477x-2024-2294511/) Gender, Advice, and the Candidacy Gap in American Politics
Jul 30th 2024, 12:19

Volume 45, Issue 3, July-September 2024, Page 315-334.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1554477X.2024.2294511?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/1554477x-2024-2294511/) Gender, Advice, and the Candidacy Gap in American Politics was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/monographs-edited-collections/a-well-trained-wife-unpacks-life-in-christian-patriarchy/) ‘A Well-Trained Wife’ unpacks life in Christian patriarchy
Jul 30th 2024, 12:16

When Tia Levings married at 19 years old, she achieved what her Baptist church had endorsed as her life’s highest calling: becoming a Christian wife. But as her husband embraced the teachings of the Christian patriarchy movement, she became governed by a list of rules she hadn’t bargained for. Her husband controlled her clothing, censored her reading list, demanded to be called “my lord” and subjected her to “physical discipline” — all in the name of Christ.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/monographs-edited-collections/a-well-trained-wife-unpacks-life-in-christian-patriarchy/) ‘A Well-Trained Wife’ unpacks life in Christian patriarchy was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tam0000215/) An exploration of K–12 school shooting threats in the United States.
Jul 30th 2024, 12:12

Journal of Threat Assessment and Management, Vol 11(2), Jun 2024, 106-120; doi:10.1037/tam0000215
This exploratory study examines approximately 1,000 shooting threats made at K–12 schools gathered from publicly available news reports over a 4-year academic period, including prepandemic, pandemic, and postpandemic data. The content analysis finds violent threats increased dramatically in 2021–2022. A majority of individuals who make school shooting threats are male students at large public high schools, which is consistent with those who perpetrate mass shootings at K–12 schools. However, those who threaten shootings are a more diverse population than perpetrators themselves in that they are a wider variety of ages and nearly one fifth are female. Text analysis identified words indicating the specificity of a threat and showed threats tended to be both negative and angry. In 40% of cases, it was unclear if the threat was real or a joke/hoax, yet the most common outcome was to arrest the individual making the threat and charge them with a felony. This study concludes with a call for research to better understand who makes school shooting threats and the challenges to this line of research. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/tam0000215/) An exploration of K–12 school shooting threats in the United States. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed