News from healthcareitnews.com: All items

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Mon Jul 22 14:32:12 PDT 2024

News from healthcareitnews.com

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/adventhealth-virtual-mri-program-reduces-inpatient-transfers-94) AdventHealth virtual MRI program reduces inpatient transfers by 94%
Jul 22nd 2024, 12:21

Further, the health system's cardiac MRI services grew by 42% – which significantly improved access to specialized care for patients, says AdventHealth's VP of imaging services.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/healthcare-recovering-crowdstrike-outage) Healthcare recovering from CrowdStrike outage
Jul 22nd 2024, 11:23

Since its botched Microsoft security update this past week, most healthcare organizations seem to be resuming normal operations. But one of the largest IT snafus ever shows that the industry must better prepare for third-party technology disruptions.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/ge-healthcare-scoop-clinical-ai-assets-intelligent-ultrasound) GE HealthCare to scoop up clinical AI assets from Intelligent Ultrasound
Jul 22nd 2024, 10:50

The deal, valued at $51 million, will bring more real-time image recognition technologies to GE's imaging portfolio, and could help hospitals with overburdened sonographers and radiology technologist shortages.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/ems-provider-cuts-day-hospital-length-stay-help-ai) EMS provider cuts a day off hospital length of stay, with help from AI
Jul 19th 2024, 12:49

AmeriPro Health says its homegrown artificial intelligence-enabled predictive modeling technology is driving everything it does – and helping its hospital partners significantly increase their patient throughput.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/himsscast-where-population-health-getting-boost-artificial-intelligence) HIMSSCast: Where population health is getting a boost from artificial intelligence
Jul 19th 2024, 10:43

One of the top authorities on pop health, Dr. Michael Dulin of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, explains how AI can curate complex data, evaluate risk and predict changes.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/worldwide-it-disruption-disrupts-healthcare-delivery) Worldwide IT outage disrupts healthcare delivery
Jul 19th 2024, 10:38

CrowdSrike says the BSOD outage for Microsoft Windows was caused by a botched security update. It has resulted in surgical cancellations, ambulance diversions and other patient care disruptions at doctors' offices, ERs and hospitals around the globe.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/atlantic-health-system-cido-offers-lessons-ai-cybersecurity) Atlantic Health System CIDO offers lessons on AI in cybersecurity
Jul 18th 2024, 12:28

At the upcoming HIMSS AI in Healthcare Forum, Chief Information and Digital Officer Sunil Dadlani will speak to other C-suite leaders about bridging the gap between artificial intelligence-enabled security and cyber defense.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/ai-roundup-new-applications-clinical-documentation-patient-access-cybersecurity) AI roundup: New applications for clinical documentation, patient access, cybersecurity
Jul 18th 2024, 10:48

Rural providers are using use voice AI to manage administrative burden and the government funding NLP research into improving the cultural sensitivity of mental healthcare. Other companies, meanwhile, have announced new secure-by-design certifications.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/bon-secours-taps-philips-10-year-patient-monitoring-collaboration) Bon Secours taps Philips for 10-year patient monitoring collaboration
Jul 17th 2024, 14:24

The seven-state health system seeks to standardize its patient-monitoring tools and processes at 49 hospitals and hundreds of care sites via the partnership.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/genai-enabled-ehrs-match-human-clinicians-messaging-new-study-shows) GenAI-enabled EHRs match human clinicians in messaging, new study shows
Jul 17th 2024, 10:36

When able to access patient-specific medical data, an integrated chatbot was accurate, complete and as empathetic as human providers in its message replies – but also long-winded and more complex, according to research from NYU Langone.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/top-hospitals-ranked-ai-innovation) Top hospitals ranked for AI innovation
Jul 17th 2024, 10:13

The new Hospital AI Readiness Index from CB Insights assessed 25 health systems for how they're innovating and executing on their artificial intelligence projects.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/ai-powered-med-history-system-improves-care-reduces-work-carle-health) AI-powered med history system improves care, reduces work at Carle Health
Jul 17th 2024, 09:18

"By relying on the AI technology to convert information into discrete data elements in our Epic EHR, we have significantly reduced the amount of manual entry required by our staff," an inpatient pharmacy operations supervisor reports.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/asia/bangkok-hospital-streamlines-patient-flow-ai) Bangkok Hospital streamlines patient flow with AI
Jul 16th 2024, 20:13

It recently digitised its registration and patient management systems.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/tech-leader-attempts-work-magic-ai-incubator-and-research-collaborative) Tech leader attempts to work MAGIC with AI incubator and research collaborative
Jul 16th 2024, 13:31

Humberto Farias of Concepta Technologies discusses his new Machine Advancement and General Intelligence Center and offers AI advice for healthcare C-suite executives and other health IT decision makers.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/va-awards-abridge-and-nuance-ai-contract-help-reduce-burnout) VA awards Abridge and Nuance AI contract to help reduce burnout
Jul 16th 2024, 10:36

The companies will further develop speech-to-text technology that takes healthcare provider's notes and can upload key excerpts to EHR-agnostic files, while the agency accepts feedback on the sole-source solicitations.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/remote-patient-monitoring-reduces-blood-pressure-patients-new-york-state) Remote patient monitoring reduces blood pressure for patients in New York State
Jul 15th 2024, 11:49

Erie County Medical Center Corporation's RPM initiative has been successful in "improving health outcomes and reducing the risks associated with hypertension," says its VP of population health.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/sen-warner-urges-hhs-end-voluntary-cybersecurity-requirements) Senator Warner urges HHS to end voluntary cybersecurity requirements
Jul 15th 2024, 10:55

Writing to the health secretary and the deputy national security advisor, the lawmaker cited recent cyber hygiene failures by healthcare organizations and asked the agency to propose mandatory minimum cyber standards already under consideration.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/australia-pursue-ai-vr-pilots-aged-care-reform) Australia to pursue AI, VR pilots for aged care reform
Jul 15th 2024, 03:17

The Department of Health and Aged Care has released the Aged Care Data and Digital Strategy and accompanying action plan.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/asia/hanoi-pilots-ehr-platform) Hanoi pilots EHR platform
Jul 15th 2024, 03:16

Patients and their doctors can now access their digital health records from a single platform.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/electronic-prior-auth-helps-one-practice-slash-24-hours-manual-work-week) Electronic prior auth helps one practice slash 24 hours of manual work per week
Jul 12th 2024, 13:36

Harmony Park Family Medicine also saw turnaround times decrease significantly, with more than half of monthly determinations requiring no authorization – and 70% of prior auth requests sent to Humana being approved instantly.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/patients-less-likely-seek-virtual-behavioral-care-when-paying-out-pocket) Patients less likely to seek virtual behavioral care when paying out-of-pocket
Jul 12th 2024, 11:17

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/industry-groups-set-drive-digital-health-uptake-australia) Industry groups set up to drive digital health uptake in Australia
Jul 12th 2024, 10:46

Also, eHealth NSW is expanding the Clinical Device Notification Platform to rural and remote areas in Sydney.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/asia/latest-robotics-investment-singapore-thailand-and-more-briefs) Latest robotics investment in Singapore, Thailand and more briefs
Jul 12th 2024, 10:40

Also, Hoan My Medical Group in Vietnam has deployed AI to enhance chronic disease detection.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/use-ar-vr-and-ai-tools-across-healthcare-landscape) Use of AR, VR and AI tools across the healthcare landscape
Jul 12th 2024, 08:32

By never losing sight of patient care, artificial intelligence, augmented reality and other technologies can help to transition healthcare from a reactive, fee-for-service model to a value-based, proactive one, says one tech strategist.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/roundup-drumbeat-healthcare-cyberattacks-shows-no-sign-slowing) Roundup: Drumbeat of healthcare cyberattacks shows no sign of slowing
Jul 12th 2024, 07:03

Another week, another leak of personally identifiable information and protected health information at more than one major health organization. This time, a critical access hospital and a department of public health are attacked by ransomware.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/australia-pilot-long-overdue-cyber-threat-sharing-network-healthcare) Australia to pilot 'long overdue' cyber threat-sharing network for healthcare
Jul 11th 2024, 19:43

The government is investing $4.2 million to launch the network.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/raising-healthcare-identifiers-adoption-australia) Raising healthcare identifiers adoption in Australia
Jul 11th 2024, 19:12

The Australian Digital Health Agency has outlined specific steps to increase the uptake of healthcare identifiers across health facilities.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/advocates-cdo-offers-tips-experience-integrating-post-acquisition-data-assets) Advocate's CDO offers tips from experience for integrating post-acquisition data assets
Jul 11th 2024, 12:35

As more health systems merge, making smart and strategic use of datasets drawn from disparate systems is essential to clinical and operational success, says Advocate Health Chief Data Officer Tina Esposito.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/reckoning-racially-biased-pulse-oximeters-coming-due) The reckoning for racially biased pulse oximeters is coming due
Jul 11th 2024, 11:04

Johns Hopkins School of Medicine is working to draw attention to FDA’s medical device regulation of light-sensing technology used to measure a critical vital sign.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/onc-says-stakeholders-can-pick-and-run-new-regs) ONC says stakeholders can 'pick up and run' with new regs
Jul 11th 2024, 10:55

In its new HTI-2 proposed rule, the Office of the National Coordinator is hoping FHIR-focused interoperability criteria will ignite payers and public health and others to embrace broader information sharing goals.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/hti-2-proposed-rule-includes-new-certification-criteria-payer-and-public-health-it) HTI-2 proposed rule includes new certification criteria for payer and public health IT
Jul 10th 2024, 10:36

In a "tour de force" rulemaking, the agency has "harnessed all the tools at ONC's disposal" to advance HHS' nationwide interoperability and patient engagement goals, says National Coordinator Micky Tripathi.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/mythbusting-some-misconceptions-about-operational-improvement-technology) Mythbusting some misconceptions about operational improvement technology
Jul 10th 2024, 10:34

Janus Health CEO Todd Doze dispels three commonly held ideas about how OI technology works and what it can accomplish, explaining why he thinks these assumptions are untrue.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/addressing-behavioral-health-resources-and-costs-ohio) Addressing behavioral health resources and costs in Ohio
Jul 10th 2024, 09:50

A network serving more than half the state's population with mental illness will bolster integrated care using population health management tools from Alera Health. Meanwhile, a consortium will use grant funding to grow the behavioral health workforce.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/genai-documentation-helps-lee-health-physicians-add-extra-patient-day) GenAI for documentation helps Lee Health physicians add an extra patient per day
Jul 9th 2024, 12:03

Nearly 75% of its clinicians now spend less time working outside of work hours, which has improved provider satisfaction. There's also been a reduction in documentation errors.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/bidens-health-ai-leads-depart-chai-roles) Biden's health AI leads depart CHAI roles
Jul 9th 2024, 11:10

Since the Coalition for Healthcare AI released a draft responsible AI framework and National Coordinator Micky Tripathi is taking on more AI oversight roles for the administration, both ONC and FDA say it is time to step back.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/how-ai-transcription-integrated-telehealth-tools-can-boost-care-quality) How AI transcription, integrated with telehealth tools, can boost care quality
Jul 8th 2024, 12:54

A CEO who specializes in this combination reveals how artificial intelligence has the ability to help analyze and summarize key virtual care consultation points, detect patterns in patient data to deliver more personalized care, and much more.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/wedi-offers-feedback-cisas-cyber-incident-reporting-rules) WEDI offers feedback on CISA's cyber incident reporting rules
Jul 8th 2024, 10:35

While the healthcare group "strongly supports" CIRCIA's security goals, it's urging the Homeland Security agency to "consider the challenges covered entities face during and immediately after experiencing a cyberattack."

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/qa-patient-safety-derives-data-driven-leadership) Q&A: Patient safety derives from data-driven leadership
Jul 5th 2024, 10:19

A culture of analytics, starting with leadership at the top, is key for hospitals and health systems that aim to bolster care delivery and manage other healthcare challenges, says one patient safety expert.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/queensland-virtual-hospital-offer-emergency-care-and-more-briefs) Queensland Virtual Hospital to offer emergency care and more briefs
Jul 5th 2024, 03:48

Also, My Emergency Doctor has adopted InterSystems' cloud-based integration engine to offer improved systems interoperability.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/northwell-health-streamlines-temp-staffing-flexible-workforce-platform) Northwell Health streamlines temp staffing with flexible workforce platform
Jul 3rd 2024, 10:42

The technology enables end-to-end order and staff pool management, fulfillment, compliance, invoicing and reporting to allow for the management of all flexible labor on one unified platform.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/cleveland-clinic-launches-new-rpm-and-tele-icu-initiative-masimo) Cleveland Clinic launches new RPM and tele-ICU initiative with Masimo
Jul 3rd 2024, 10:08

The remote patient monitoring project aims to integrate platforms to equip clinicians with advanced decision support for hospitalized patients in both critical and non-critical care, and develop new AI-enabled predictive analytics.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/acr-unveils-new-ai-quality-assurance-program-radiology-practices) ACR unveils new AI quality assurance program for radiology practices
Jul 3rd 2024, 09:51

The American College of Radiology's ARCH-AI initiative is billed as the first-ever such framework, designed to help imaging providers deploy artificial intelligence more safely.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/asia/how-taiwanese-hospitals-superintendent-led-his-team-achieve-top-himss-ranking-globally) How a Taiwanese hospital's Superintendent led his team to achieve a top HIMSS ranking globally
Jul 2nd 2024, 19:24

China Medical University Hospital came in first for the 2023 HIMSS Digital Health Indicator global ranking, announced earlier this year.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/phoebe-physician-group-gains-big-roi-using-ai-no-shows) Phoebe Physician Group gains big ROI by using AI for no-shows
Jul 2nd 2024, 13:25

>From January 2023 to February 2024, the organization saw an average increase of 168 encounters per week with help from automated processes to help reduce missed appointments – amounting to approximately 7,800 additional encounter numbers and $1.4 million in new net patient revenue.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/health-it-vendors-generally-express-support-hhs-info-blocking-disincentives) Health IT vendors generally express support for HHS info blocking disincentives
Jul 2nd 2024, 09:21

C-suite leaders and other executives from EHR, analytics, clinical automation and managed services firms see enforcement of the new Cures Act final rule as an overdue "step in the right direction."

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/project-bags-grant-australias-first-national-injury-surveillance-system) Project bags grant for Australia's first national injury surveillance system
Jul 2nd 2024, 02:30

It will identify new risks, such as alcohol or drug misuse, not captured in existing data.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/emory-healthcare-scores-uber-app-home-pt) Emory Healthcare scores with an 'Uber app' for at-home PT
Jul 1st 2024, 11:47

Patients who otherwise wouldn't have used the health system's physical therapy services because of geographic distance are now staying in-network. The technology also has boosted Emory's value-based care efforts.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/australias-first-public-health-data-lake-project-launched) Australia's first public health 'data lake' project launched
Jul 1st 2024, 01:50

Flinders University researchers expect their AI-driven data repository to improve public health surveillance and response.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/himsscast-fighting-back-against-healthcare-misinformation-era-social-media-and-genai) HIMSSCast: Fighting back against healthcare misinformation in the era of social media and genAI
Jun 28th 2024, 12:55

Mis- and disinformation have long been a significant challenge to health and wellness, even before the pandemic showed just how damaging they can be. How should medical professionals push back? Dr. Geeta Nayyar has some answers.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/ai-has-role-play-during-patient-intake-process) AI has a role to play during the patient intake process
Jun 28th 2024, 12:10

One technology CEO discusses the importance of pre-visit preparation – how AI-enabled automation can transform the process and minimize the time physicians spend in the EHR.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/onc-releases-draft-uscdi-dataset-maternal-health) ONC releases draft USCDI+ dataset for maternal health
Jun 28th 2024, 10:45

As part of national maternal health initiatives, the agency is focused on harnessing EHR data to create a more equitable ecosystem and a reduction in maternal morbidity and mortality rates.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/asia/fv-hospital-leverages-ai-myopia-control-and-more-briefs) FV Hospital leverages AI for myopia control and more briefs
Jun 28th 2024, 03:13

Also, Sunway Medical Center in Malaysia has augmented its radiology workflow with AI.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/new-ai-research-boost-ambulance-response-skin-cancer-screening) New AI research to boost ambulance response, skin cancer screening
Jun 28th 2024, 02:57

Also, Telstra Health has soft-launched remote maternity solutions on its GP network.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/aws-announces-10m-accelerate-pediatric-research) AWS announces $10M to accelerate pediatric research
Jun 27th 2024, 12:34

The AWS Imagine Grant is open to registered nonprofit organizations using cloud technology to advance their research across the spectrum of childhood diseases – from heart conditions to genetic disorders.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/when-doubt-include-nursing-informatics-team) 'When in doubt, include the nursing informatics team'
Jun 27th 2024, 10:07

That's the advice of CoxHealth Chief Nursing Information Officer Summer Blackerby, RN, who discusses the value of nursing IT experts, and highlights technologies that provide care beyond the bedside, streamline nursing workflows and more.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/geisinger-alerts-patients-data-incident-involving-terminated-nuance-employee) Geisinger alerts patients to data incident involving terminated Nuance employee
Jun 27th 2024, 09:17

Nuance did not revoke the employee's access to the health system's records upon termination, which allowed unauthorized access to the personal information of more than a million patients.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/anz/mbs-review-wants-retain-first-video-telehealth-consult-specialists) MBS review wants to retain first video telehealth consult with specialists
Jun 27th 2024, 03:24

The committee also suggested bringing back subsidised GP telephone consultations for chronic disease management and patient end-support.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/university-health-slashes-discrepancies-and-frees-time-meds-management) University Health slashes discrepancies and frees up time with meds management
Jun 26th 2024, 10:58

A 50% reduction in nurse-created discrepancies at medication cabinets and a 20% decrease in the time nurses spend dispensing meds have been two big wins. A 30% increase in storage capacity on the floors is another.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/cybersecurity-roundup-us-ban-kaspersky-antivirus-cost-healthcare-breaches-way) Cybersecurity roundup: U.S. to ban Kaspersky antivirus; Cost of healthcare breaches way up
Jun 26th 2024, 10:34

Also: HIMSS Privacy and Security leader campaigns for ISC2 Board.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/vendor-notebook-novel-ai-staff-turnover-mental-health-robots-and-more) Vendor Notebook: Novel AI for staff turnover, mental health robots and more
Jun 26th 2024, 10:07

Several vendors announced new artificial intelligence integrations that help primary care providers, home caregivers and others to retain employees and improve operations and patient care.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/chai-releases-responsible-ai-framework-public-comment) CHAI releases responsible AI framework for public comment
Jun 26th 2024, 10:03

The documents are meant to help healthcare organizations evaluate standards across the product life cycle while enabling artificial intelligence innovation, according to the Coalition for Health AI.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/new-technologies-can-combat-workplace-violence-against-nurses) New technologies can combat workplace violence against nurses
Jun 25th 2024, 11:34

Artificial intelligence tools, combined with Internet of Things and RTLS, can help hospitals and health systems protect their staff members while optimizing workflows. This is the future of healthcare operations, says one chief nursing officer.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/healthcare-leads-third-party-data-breaches-says-new-report) Healthcare leads in third-party data breaches, says new report
Jun 25th 2024, 11:24

In 2023, 35% of third-party breaches affected healthcare organizations with application security presenting the broadest attack surface, according to a new cybersecurity analysis of the largest healthcare companies.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/aha-mgma-say-provider-penalties-info-blocking-final-rule-are-excessive) AHA, MGMA say provider penalties in info blocking final rule are 'excessive'
Jun 25th 2024, 10:59

Not only are the HHS information blocking disincentives too steep, but they could also interrupt accountable care organizations' shift to value-based care, the organizations argue. Meanwhile, the EHR Association says the regs are "too narrowly focused."

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/osf-deploys-care-transition-program-reduces-readmission-rate-29-9) OSF deploys care transition program, reduces readmission rate from 29% to 9%
Jun 24th 2024, 13:03

The sophisticated program employing patient monitoring, patient tracking and reporting technologies also has enhanced patient follow-up and engagement and yielded a big win on overall healthcare delivery.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/oracles-new-clinical-digital-assistant-offers-genai-ambulatory-clinics) Oracle's new Clinical Digital Assistant offers genAI for ambulatory clinics
Jun 24th 2024, 09:15

By integrating with practices' EHRs, the voice and generative AI tool can help reduce the need to manage drop-down menus and scrolling, reducing physicians' documentation time by up to 40%, the company says.

(https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/asia/asian-gastro-docs-generally-trust-and-accept-ai-survey) Asian gastro docs generally trust and accept AI: survey
Jun 24th 2024, 00:06

Interestingly, young physicians see more risk to it than their senior counterparts.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed