Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Thu Jan 18 11:57:01 PST 2024

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/15570851231220105/) “I had Some Memories that Popped up Again From My Childhood:” Perspectives of Incarcerated Women on the Initiation and Continuation of Substance Use
Jan 18th 2024, 14:47

Feminist Criminology, Ahead of Print. Women’s incarceration has been increasing over the past several decades, representing an incredibly high-need population. Jailed women have the highest rates of substance use and mental health issues compared to other criminal legal populations. Their trajectories into crime differ from men, often attributed to trauma, substance use, and traditional heterosexual partnerships. Using a thematic analysis and data from 42 interviews with jailed women, the current study examines women’s decision to engage in substance use and continuation or cessation of use. Findings contribute to the literature on gendered-pathways by describing their perspectives. Findings inform recommendations for future research and policy implications.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/15570851231220105?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/15570851231220105/) “I had Some Memories that Popped up Again From My Childhood:” Perspectives of Incarcerated Women on the Initiation and Continuation of Substance Use was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s0190740923005856/) The well-being of unaccompanied migrant children: Between dreams and reality
Jan 18th 2024, 14:28

Publication date: February 2024
Source: Children and Youth Services Review, Volume 157
Author(s): Edgar Iglesias, Carme Montserrat, Joan Llosada-Gistau, Judit Gallart
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0190740923005856?dgcid=rss_sd_all) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/s0190740923005856/) The well-being of unaccompanied migrant children: Between dreams and reality was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09589287231222840/) The ethnic penalty in welfare deservingness: A factorial survey experiment on welfare chauvinism in pension attitudes in Germany
Jan 18th 2024, 14:22

Journal of European Social Policy, Ahead of Print. This study investigates whether pensioners with a foreign ethnic background are perceived as less deserving to receive a pension than are native pensioners. It focuses on Germany as an example with a strongly achievement-oriented social insurance system which closely links benefits to previous contributions. Hence, the system prevents a citizen from receiving benefits without having contributed. Our study thus adds to existing research by examining a less likely case to find welfare chauvinistic attitudes. To test our expectations, we rely on a factorial survey design and a probability sample of the German population in 2019. Survey respondents decide on the amount of pension benefits that a hypothetical pensioner should receive. Characteristics of the hypothetical pensioner – ethnic background, gender, last income, contribution years, the number of children and other dependents – are randomly varied. Our study finds support for welfare chauvinist attitudes in an achievement-oriented social insurance system. Even for the same achievement, that is, same income, contribution years and number of children, natives grant lower pensions to pensioners with a foreign ethnic background than to natives. Also, even if migrants show the most favourable behaviour (that is, having contributed to the pension system for many years and with a high income), the ethnic penalty in pensions remains significant.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09589287231222840?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09589287231222840/) The ethnic penalty in welfare deservingness: A factorial survey experiment on welfare chauvinism in pension attitudes in Germany was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09589287231223391/) Varying effects of public pensions: Pension spending and old-age employment under different pension regimes
Jan 18th 2024, 14:22

Journal of European Social Policy, Ahead of Print. Socioeconomic consequences of pension reforms have often been discussed without careful consideration of institutional contexts, despite the fact that institutional designs of public pensions differ substantially across countries. This study argues that the outcomes of pension reforms vary depending on the institutional structure of public pensions, by showing that the associations between public pension spending and old-age employment rates of different socio-demographic groups vary across different institutional contexts. Using time-series cross-section data from 20 European countries and the United States from 1998 to 2019, the study examines how changes in public pension spending ‘per older person’, a comparable measure for the welfare state effort towards old-age income security, are associated with gender- and education-specific employment rates in old age. The study also explores how these associations differ under different pension regimes, constructed based on the degree to which financing and benefit structures exhibit redistributive orientations. The results reveal complex gender and educational gradients in the relationship between public pension spending and old-age employment. Female employment rates, especially among the low-educated, are more sensitive to changes in pension spending in the ‘Beveridgean’ regime that focuses on basic income security. In the Bismarckian regime characterized by earnings-related pensions, educational differences in the marginal effects on male employment rates are, in particular, larger. Future pension reforms balancing the goal of activation and social equity should therefore consider the longstanding institutional design of public pensions.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09589287231223391?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09589287231223391/) Varying effects of public pensions: Pension spending and old-age employment under different pension regimes was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13558196231224362/) ‘I’m a bit of an invisible worker’ – Health care and social sector students’ experiences of casual and temporary agency work
Jan 18th 2024, 14:22

Journal of Health Services Research &Policy, Ahead of Print. ObjectivesIn the wake of national and global personnel shortages, it is becoming increasingly common for students to undertake casual and temporary agency work in the health care and social sectors. This phenomenon can have both advantages and disadvantages for these workers. The objective of this study was to describe health care and social sector students’ experiences of such work.MethodsStudents currently undertaking casual work in the health care and social sector in Finland were recruited (n = 28). Qualitative semi-structured interviews of these students were conducted in March to May 2021. The data were analysed using inductive content analysis.ResultsRespondents reported some positive aspects of casual work. In particular, they liked the freedom to choose the workplace and working times that suited them. However, respondents’ experiences were mostly negative. They perceived the induction into work as being insufficient, felt they had too few opportunities to give and receive feedback and believed they were not accepted into the working community.ConclusionsStudents who have bad experiences while undertaking causal work in the health care and social sectors may develop an aversion towards working in those sectors after graduating. In order to ensure the sectors are attractive to graduates, casual student workers’ induction and experience of the workplace must be improved.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13558196231224362?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13558196231224362/) ‘I’m a bit of an invisible worker’ – Health care and social sector students’ experiences of casual and temporary agency work was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/14777509231220531/) The need for Hispanic cultural competency in drug abuse treatment training programs: An empirical and ethical evaluation  of US universities
Jan 18th 2024, 14:22

Clinical Ethics, Ahead of Print. Ethical clinical practice requires cultural competency. In the United States, Hispanics report stronger attitudinal barriers to drug abuse treatment than any other racial/ethnic group. Hispanics report feeling that drug abuse treatment providers do not understand their unique cultural needs and are unfamiliar with their experiences of discrimination and immigration. Using this case study to explore broader ethical and policy issues, this study investigates the extent to which US universities train counselors to address the culturally specific needs of Hispanic patients and how this is reflected in practice in Los Angeles County. Based on a content analysis of the required courses, syllabi, and course descriptions at 30 universities related to culture/race/racism/ethnicity/diversity at the undergraduate and graduate levels on the addiction therapist track, and thematic analysis of eight in-depth interviews with counselors working in outpatient rehabilitation centers in Los Angeles, I argue that cultural competency education for drug abuse counselors is too surface level and infrequent to adequately prepare students for a career in addiction counseling for Hispanic clients. Significant changes must be made to how cultural diversity is valued and prioritized in the field of psychology to provide better care for Hispanic people with a substance use disorder and fulfill the moral obligation to eliminate this health disparity. Although this study focuses on counselors in Los Angeles, these findings are relevant for professionals and healthcare systems across the United States and beyond who seek to provide equitable and effective care for Hispanic patients.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/14777509231220531?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/14777509231220531/) The need for Hispanic cultural competency in drug abuse treatment training programs: An empirical and ethical evaluation  of US universities was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/03085759231223980/) Corrigendum to “‘I probably wouldn’t want to talk about anything too personal’: A qualitative exploration of how issues of privacy, confidentiality and surveillance in the home impact on access and engagement with online services and spaces for care-experienced young people”
Jan 18th 2024, 14:22

Adoption &Fostering, Ahead of Print.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/03085759231223980?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/03085759231223980/) Corrigendum to “‘I probably wouldn’t want to talk about anything too personal’: A qualitative exploration of how issues of privacy, confidentiality and surveillance in the home impact on access and engagement with online services and spaces for care-experienced young people” was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/17456916231217722/) The Sound of Emotional Prosody: Nearly 3 Decades of Research and Future Directions
Jan 18th 2024, 14:21

Perspectives on Psychological Science, Ahead of Print. Emotional voices attract considerable attention. A search on any browser using “emotional prosody” as a key phrase leads to more than a million entries. Such interest is evident in the scientific literature as well; readers are reminded in the introductory paragraphs of countless articles of the great importance of prosody and that listeners easily infer the emotional state of speakers through acoustic information. However, despite decades of research on this topic and important achievements, the mapping between acoustics and emotional states is still unclear. In this article, we chart the rich literature on emotional prosody for both newcomers to the field and researchers seeking updates. We also summarize problems revealed by a sample of the literature of the last decades and propose concrete research directions for addressing them, ultimately to satisfy the need for more mechanistic knowledge of emotional prosody.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/17456916231217722?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/17456916231217722/) The Sound of Emotional Prosody: Nearly 3 Decades of Research and Future Directions was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/17456916231202685/) A Systematic Review and New Analyses of the Gender-Equality Paradox
Jan 18th 2024, 14:21

Perspectives on Psychological Science, Ahead of Print. Some studies show that living conditions, such as economy, gender equality, and education, are associated with the magnitude of psychological sex differences. We systematically and quantitatively reviewed 54 articles and conducted new analyses on 27 meta-analyses and large-scale studies to investigate the association between living conditions and psychological sex differences. We found that sex differences in personality, verbal abilities, episodic memory, and negative emotions are more pronounced in countries with higher living conditions. In contrast, sex differences in sexual behavior, partner preferences, and math are smaller in countries with higher living conditions. We also observed that economic indicators of living conditions, such as gross domestic product, are most sensitive in predicting the magnitude of sex differences. Taken together, results indicate that more sex differences are larger, rather than smaller, in countries with higher living conditions. It should therefore be expected that the magnitude of most psychological sex differences will remain unchanged or become more pronounced with improvements in living conditions, such as economy, gender equality, and education.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/17456916231202685?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/17456916231202685/) A Systematic Review and New Analyses of the Gender-Equality Paradox was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/17456916231214452/) Editorial for the Special Issue on Algorithms in Our Lives
Jan 18th 2024, 14:21

Perspectives on Psychological Science, Ahead of Print.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/17456916231214452?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/17456916231214452/) Editorial for the Special Issue on Algorithms in Our Lives was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/17456916231214460/) AI Psychometrics: Assessing the Psychological Profiles of Large Language Models Through Psychometric Inventories
Jan 18th 2024, 14:21

Perspectives on Psychological Science, Ahead of Print. We illustrate how standard psychometric inventories originally designed for assessing noncognitive human traits can be repurposed as diagnostic tools to evaluate analogous traits in large language models (LLMs). We start from the assumption that LLMs, inadvertently yet inevitably, acquire psychological traits (metaphorically speaking) from the vast text corpora on which they are trained. Such corpora contain sediments of the personalities, values, beliefs, and biases of the countless human authors of these texts, which LLMs learn through a complex training process. The traits that LLMs acquire in such a way can potentially influence their behavior, that is, their outputs in downstream tasks and applications in which they are employed, which in turn may have real-world consequences for individuals and social groups. By eliciting LLMs’ responses to language-based psychometric inventories, we can bring their traits to light. Psychometric profiling enables researchers to study and compare LLMs in terms of noncognitive characteristics, thereby providing a window into the personalities, values, beliefs, and biases these models exhibit (or mimic). We discuss the history of similar ideas and outline possible psychometric approaches for LLMs. We demonstrate one promising approach, zero-shot classification, for several LLMs and psychometric inventories. We conclude by highlighting open challenges and future avenues of research for AI Psychometrics.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/17456916231214460?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/17456916231214460/) AI Psychometrics: Assessing the Psychological Profiles of Large Language Models Through Psychometric Inventories was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/20413866231225165/) Justice theory as a framework for policy-making consultation
Jan 18th 2024, 14:21

Organizational Psychology Review, Ahead of Print. In this paper, we respond to the call by Brockner and Bobocel for leveraging justice research to address critical social issues. Pulling from research within the areas of policy studies and liberal philosophy, we make three major arguments: a) Critical social issues are “wicked problems,” which combine high decision stakes, high diversity of actors, and high uncertainty, and therefore require the simultaneous and coordinated expertise of multiple disciplines for effective intervention; b) to tackle more far-reaching issues such as these requires a broadening of what is considered “just;” and c) those working within the policy realm are aware of and actively applying many of the justice principles outlined by Brockner and Bobocel. We conclude by converting Brockner and Bobocel’s evidence-based insights (along with our extensions) into a consultative framework with which policy makers can audit their progress, decisions, and actions. We argue that it is through this sort of application of justice principles that uncertainty can be managed, durable agreements can be reached, and positive social change can be achieved.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20413866231225165?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/20413866231225165/) Justice theory as a framework for policy-making consultation was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/11033088231219091/) The Impact of Within-family Housing Assistance on the Certainty of Young People’s (Housing) Aspirations in the Czech Republic
Jan 18th 2024, 14:21

YOUNG, Ahead of Print. The article presents the results of research on the factors that determine how certain Czech millennials are about their housing and some other life aspirations. We did not primarily look at the content of life aspirations and instead, we examined how certain, confident and concrete young people are about their plans. Using qualitative interviews and an attitude survey we found that intergenerational housing-related within-family resource transfers had a significant impact on how certain young Czechs are about their housing and (some) work and family aspirations. Therefore, whatever the aspirations of young people are, the ability to form them with certainty and confidence is significantly influenced by a factor that is largely out of their control.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/11033088231219091?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/11033088231219091/) The Impact of Within-family Housing Assistance on the Certainty of Young People’s (Housing) Aspirations in the Czech Republic was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/11033088231218851/) The Good Disobedient Citizen? Students’ Perspectives on Good Citizenship in the International Civic and Citizenship Education Study 2016
Jan 18th 2024, 14:20

YOUNG, Ahead of Print. Scholars of democratic citizenship and citizenship education have long discussed whether willingness to commit civil disobedience (CD) is an important attribute of citizens to defend and enforce democratic and human rights. In light of the youth protests of recent years, this article examines whether 14-year-old students consider CD important for being a good citizen. Using representative Danish, German, Dutch and Norwegian samples from the International Civic and Citizenship Education Study 2016, this study investigates dimensions of students’ concepts of citizenship and their relatedness to civic knowledge and support for equal rights. Confirmatory factor analysis established CD as a distinct dimension of good citizenship whose scale is metrically invariant across countries. However, linear regressions showed a negative impact of civic knowledge and support for equal gender rights on CD attitudes, raising the question if the empirical pattern of students supporting CD fits with theoretical assumptions of critical or transformative citizenship education.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/11033088231218851?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/11033088231218851/) The Good Disobedient Citizen? Students’ Perspectives on Good Citizenship in the International Civic and Citizenship Education Study 2016 was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/11033088231214640/) The Political Dimensions in Discourses of Youth Organizations Operating in Poland: Scope and Dynamics of Changes in the Context of the Russo-Ukrainian War
Jan 18th 2024, 14:20

YOUNG, Ahead of Print. In this article, the research aim was to reconstruct the political characteristics of the discourses of four youth organizations operating in Poland in three intertwined dimensions: content, structure and time. In the content dimension, by using the analysis of the discursive strategies, the focus was on political goals and political features of collective identities. In the structure dimension, by using the analytical tool provided by discursive institutionalism, the internal dynamics of discourses were explored. In the dimensions of structure and time, an attempt was made to capture the discursive change as a reaction to the war in Ukraine. Over 700 texts posted by the organizations’ websites or Facebook pages were analysed. Three types of discourses were identified, which show various ways of representing political objectives and collective identities. Furthermore, all of the discourses reacted to the war in Ukraine. The results show the scope and dynamics of such changes.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/11033088231214640?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/11033088231214640/) The Political Dimensions in Discourses of Youth Organizations Operating in Poland: Scope and Dynamics of Changes in the Context of the Russo-Ukrainian War was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/11033088231206663/) Young Adults’ Perceptions of Intergenerational Solidarity and Conflict: The Renegotiation of Compliance with Restrictions During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Jan 18th 2024, 14:20

YOUNG, Ahead of Print. During the COVID-19 pandemic, mitigating behaviour moved into the moral domain, and compliance with restrictions became tied to issues of intergenerational solidarity. Little is known about young people’s experiences with and attitudes towards coping with COVID-19 restrictions or about the role of intergenerational solidarity and conflict in their compliance. An analysis of 20 in-depth interviews with young adults (aged 18–24) in Dutch cities revealed a profound impact of the restrictions on their lives. Most tried to comply on moral grounds, particularly care and loyalty. But they felt that the impact on their own lives was not taken seriously and that young people were stereotyped as inconsiderate and perceived as flouting regulations. However, when the restrictions were prolonged, some participants renegotiated the ways in which they complied.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/11033088231206663?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/11033088231206663/) Young Adults’ Perceptions of Intergenerational Solidarity and Conflict: The Renegotiation of Compliance with Restrictions During the COVID-19 Pandemic was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231225625/) Book Review: Karen Levy, Data Driven: Truckers, Technology, and the New Workplace
Jan 18th 2024, 14:20

Work, Employment and Society, Ahead of Print.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09500170231225625?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231225625/) Book Review: Karen Levy, Data Driven: Truckers, Technology, and the New Workplace was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231219677/) The Impact of Welfare Conditionality on Experiences of Job Quality
Jan 18th 2024, 14:20

Work, Employment and Society, Ahead of Print. This article contributes to emerging debates about how behavioural conditionality within welfare systems influences job quality. Drawing upon analysis of unique data from three waves of qualitative longitudinal interviews with 46 UK social security recipients (133 interviews), we establish that the impact of welfare conditionality is so substantial that it is no longer adequate to discuss job quality without reference to its interconnections to the welfare system. More specifically, we identify how conditionality drives welfare recipients’ experience of four core dimensions of job quality: disempowering and propelling claimants towards inadequate pay, insecurity and poor employment terms, undermining multiple intrinsic characteristics of work and creating what we term a new ‘Work–Life–Welfare balance’. Instead of acting as a neutral arbitrator between jobseekers and employers, the welfare system is exposed as complicit in reinforcing one-sided flexibility through one-sided conditionality, by emphasising intensive job-seeking, while leaving poor-quality work provided by employers unchecked.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09500170231219677?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231219677/) The Impact of Welfare Conditionality on Experiences of Job Quality was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231217660/) Relational Responsibilisation and Diversity Management in the 21st Century: The Case for Reframing Equality Regulation
Jan 18th 2024, 14:20

Work, Employment and Society, Ahead of Print. This article critiques equality regulation within neoliberal policy regimes and suggests an alternative. We argue that, globally, neoliberal regimes exacerbate social divisions by individualising responsibilities for addressing inequalities. Consequentially, a new policy direction for equality regulation is required. Using the UK economy as an exemplar, we make the case for relational responsibilisation, which involves raising awareness of workplace inequalities on an international basis; attributing responsibility for inequalities onto specific socioeconomic causes and institutions; and systematically developing policies and practices that extend accountability for and ameliorate the negative consequences of workplace inequalities. Theoretically, Bourdieusian social critique and realist sociological imagination are used to conceive responsibilisation in relational terms and to imagine a policy agenda that might make societies more responsible for tackling the forms of inequality they produce. Our overall argument is for the creation of a new equality, diversity and inclusion-aware form of social democracy.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09500170231217660?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231217660/) Relational Responsibilisation and Diversity Management in the 21st Century: The Case for Reframing Equality Regulation was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231218191/) How Work Hour Variability Matters for Work-to-Family Conflict
Jan 18th 2024, 14:20

Work, Employment and Society, Ahead of Print. Variable work hours are an understudied source of work-to-family conflict (WFC). We examine the relationships between the magnitude and direction of work hour variability and WFC and whether work hour control and schedule predictability moderate these relationships. We estimate a series of linear regressions using the 2016 US General Social Survey, examining women and men workers separately and together. Findings indicate that as the magnitude of work hour variability increases, so does WFC, controlling for the usual number of hours worked. Work hour control helps to protect workers, especially women, from WFC when work hour variability is high and hours surge. Although schedule predictability tempers the relationship between work hour variability and WFC, its potency diminishes as variability increases. Our study emphasizes the potential benefit to workers and families of government policies and employer practices that promote work hour stability, schedule predictability, and equity in employee work hour control.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09500170231218191?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231218191/) How Work Hour Variability Matters for Work-to-Family Conflict was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874231224707/) Understanding Support for Municipal Political Parties: Evidence from Canada
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Urban Affairs Review, Ahead of Print. The province of Ontario, Canada, has a longstanding history of non-partisanship in municipal elections. In this distinctive context, we report results on citizen attitudes toward municipal partisanship using a survey of eligible voters in Canada’s most populous province. Using a mixed-methods approach, we focus on three interrelated research questions. First, how much does citizen support for municipal parties depend on the type of party under consideration? Second, what reasons do citizens provide for their preference for either municipal political parties or independents? Finally, what are the correlates of support for municipal parties? We find little support for municipal political parties, and that many voters have sophisticated reasons for preferring either independents or parties. We also identify several factors associated with support for parties. These results provide an in-depth picture of attitudes on municipal partisanship in Ontario, and suggest that public opinion may provide an overlooked mechanism that maintains Ontario’s non-partisanship.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10780874231224707?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874231224707/) Understanding Support for Municipal Political Parties: Evidence from Canada was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874231223113/) Consumption and Economic Security: A Two-Stage Conceptualization of Sustainable Homeownership in the United States
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Urban Affairs Review, Ahead of Print. In the present study, we propose a novel conceptualization of homeownership in the United States as a special commodity, whose consumption involves a two-stage process: homeownership entry wherein the ability to consume is pivotal, and homeownership retention wherein the outcome rests on economic security. Based on the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID), we test this conceptualization with consumption ability being proxied by income and economic security by liquid wealth. Three hypotheses are verified: (1) income predicts first-time renters’ chance of becoming homeowners but has weakened influence on homeownership retention; (2) liquid wealth constitutes the central determinant for first-time homeowners’ ability to avoid going back to renting; and (3) nonliquid wealth fails to exhibit a significant impact on either homeownership stage. By revealing the two separate stages of different homeownership dynamics, this study is the first to systematically explore the built-in contradiction of capitalist housing markets. Policy implications are also discussed.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10780874231223113?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874231223113/) Consumption and Economic Security: A Two-Stage Conceptualization of Sustainable Homeownership in the United States was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874231224359/) Creating Local “Citizen’s Governance Spaces” in Austerity Contexts : Food Recuperation and Urban Gardening in Montréal (Canada) as Ways to Pragmatically Invent Alternatives
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Urban Affairs Review, Ahead of Print. While there is a growing interest in citizen-led initiatives, there is still no consensus on how to situate them, especially in relation to state institutions. On the one hand, citizen-led initiatives are seen as being co-opted by formal institutions in a context of austerity. On the other hand, these initiatives are often presented as “spaces of resistance” to neoliberalism, or as political acts of reclaiming the city. Mapping and tracing urban gardening and dumpster diving from their grassroots emergence to their inclusion in the institutional world through a two-level analysis, we show that individuals and loosely organized collectives involved in such initiatives are embedded in complex relationships with local institutions and third sector organizations that do, in turn, structure their practice and its consequences. The two-level analysis we propose follows this process: it is through interactions and relationships with other “practitioners” and with their social and institutional environment that these urban social practices gradually institutionalize.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10780874231224359?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874231224359/) Creating Local “Citizen’s Governance Spaces” in Austerity Contexts : Food Recuperation and Urban Gardening in Montréal (Canada) as Ways to Pragmatically Invent Alternatives was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10720537-2023-2248527/) The Development and Adaptation of the Innovative Moments Coding System for Groups (IMCS-G)
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Volume 37, Issue 1, January-March 2024, Page 21-32.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10720537.2023.2248527?ai=19k&mi=3icuj5&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10720537-2023-2248527/) The Development and Adaptation of the Innovative Moments Coding System for Groups (IMCS-G) was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874231222174/) Explaining Value Capture Implementation in New York, London, and Copenhagen: Negotiating Distributional Effects
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Urban Affairs Review, Ahead of Print. Value capture (VC) is widely cited as a method for local authorities to provide urban public goods to their cities in the face of fiscal stress. Its application in practice however remains limited. In this article, we aim to explain the implementation process of VC as a strategy to fund public transportation infrastructure through case studies in London, New York, and Copenhagen. Adopting a theory of gradual institutional change, we argue that the implementation of VC depends on the capacity to change distributional institutions that are inherently contested. Particularly relevant is the role of the beneficiary, whose support of VC is necessary but not likely. Our results show that a strategic urban development project can act as a driver to overcome this barrier, but that this driver can, simultaneously, also hinder the institutionalization potential of a VC strategy. We therefore suggest that, for VC strategies to become more commonplace, sharing value uplifts among beneficiaries must become more commonplace too.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10780874231222174?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874231222174/) Explaining Value Capture Implementation in New York, London, and Copenhagen: Negotiating Distributional Effects was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10720537-2023-2248531/) What Can Therapists Learn from Coding Therapy Sessions? Interviewing Clinicians to Explore the Case of Innovative Moments Training
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Volume 37, Issue 1, January-March 2024, Page 33-43.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10720537.2023.2248531?ai=19k&mi=3icuj5&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10720537-2023-2248531/) What Can Therapists Learn from Coding Therapy Sessions? Interviewing Clinicians to Explore the Case of Innovative Moments Training was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241228111/) Book Review: Decoding the Egalitarianism of the Qur’an: Retrieving Lost Voices on Gender
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Sexualities, Ahead of Print.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634607241228111?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241228111/) Book Review: Decoding the Egalitarianism of the Qur’an: Retrieving Lost Voices on Gender was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10720537-2023-2248535/) Shifting between Self-States and Narrative Change—Implicit and Explicit Change Processes in Psychotherapy
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Volume 37, Issue 1, January-March 2024, Page 44-61.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10720537.2023.2248535?ai=19k&mi=3icuj5&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10720537-2023-2248535/) Shifting between Self-States and Narrative Change—Implicit and Explicit Change Processes in Psychotherapy was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241228113/) Unpacking categorizations in researching GBTIQ+ parents
Jan 18th 2024, 14:19

Sexualities, Ahead of Print. In this article, based on anthropological research conducted in the Netherlands and Switzerland, I show the diversity and multi-faceted nature of GBTIQ+ (gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, and queer) parenting. In contrast to recent research on GBTIQ+ parents, which often distinguishes between parents who have children through a (former) heterosexual encounter, adoption, fostering, surrogacy, co-parenting, or trans pregnancy, I deliberately chose not to study just one form of family formation. Drawing on 37 biographical, narrative, and thematic interviews and two group discussions with GBTIQ+ parents, I adopt a processual understanding of parenting that takes into account its fluidity and transformations over the life course. I argue that we should pay attention to how both the unique ways of forming and being a GBTIQ+ family, and common notions of imagining and doing family, intermingle in practice. Furthermore, I stress the importance of taking into account the intersecting differences within the category of GBTIQ+ parents, and accordingly, we should critically analyze which factors are relevant to an individual in a particular time and space.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634607241228113?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241228113/) Unpacking categorizations in researching GBTIQ+ parents was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08995605-2021-1968290/) Predictive validity of a selection instrument measuring resilience: The INSPIRE resilience scale
Jan 18th 2024, 14:18

Volume 36, Issue 1, January 2024.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08995605.2021.1968290?ai=2hi&mi=3icuj5&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08995605-2021-1968290/) Predictive validity of a selection instrument measuring resilience: The INSPIRE resilience scale was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed