Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Sun Feb 11 11:57:47 PST 2024

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10775595231224472/) Contamination in Observational Research on Child Maltreatment: A Conceptual and Empirical Review With Implications for Future Research
Feb 11th 2024, 00:49

Child Maltreatment, Ahead of Print. Contamination is a methodological phenomenon occurring in child maltreatment research when individuals in an established comparison condition have, in reality, been exposed to maltreatment during childhood. The current paper: (1) provides a conceptual and methodological introduction to contamination in child maltreatment research, (2) reviews the empirical literature demonstrating that the presence of contamination biases causal estimates in both prospective and retrospective cohort studies of child maltreatment effects, (3) outlines a dual measurement strategy for how child maltreatment researchers can address contamination, and (4) describes modern statistical methods for generating causal estimates in child maltreatment research after contamination is controlled. Our goal is to introduce the issue of contamination to researchers examining the effects of child maltreatment in an effort to improve the precision and replication of causal estimates that ultimately inform scientific and clinical decision-making as well as public policy.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10775595231224472?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10775595231224472/) Contamination in Observational Research on Child Maltreatment: A Conceptual and Empirical Review With Implications for Future Research was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/20413866231214238/) Switching gears: How teams co-construct adaptive leadership style transitions in dynamic contexts
Feb 11th 2024, 00:23

Organizational Psychology Review, Ahead of Print. Despite agreement among leadership scholars that the effectiveness of a leadership style is situationally dependent, little is known about the process of effectively switching among different leadership styles as situations unexpectedly change. Organizations rely heavily on teams to quickly and accurately adapt in dynamic contexts, and we focus here on clarifying the process of adaptive leadership style transitions in teams as they cope with situations unexpectedly shifting from requiring process efficiency to requiring collective sensemaking. We review and build on pertinent literature to develop a process model depicting switching among leadership styles not as an isolated act of a team leader, but as interdependent behaviors of a leader and team members in co-constructing the adaptive switching process. We offer testable propositions derived from the model that delineate variables influencing the adaptive leadership process and team adaptive performance. Finally, we discuss future research and practical implications based on the model’s exploration.Plain Language SummaryOrganizations depend on teams to pivot quickly when situations unexpectedly change. In some situations, teams must be as efficient as possible; in others, teams must work together to make sense of chaos. Little is known regarding why some teams can quickly switch back and forth among these situations, while other teams stumble. In this paper, we explain how the team leader and team members of adaptive teams work together to co-construct an adaptive switching process that allows the team to accurately sense when a switch is needed and switch leadership behaviors for both leader and team members when the situation so warrants.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20413866231214238?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/20413866231214238/) Switching gears: How teams co-construct adaptive leadership style transitions in dynamic contexts was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09602011-2022-2149560/) Disinhibited and angry: Investigating the relationship between social disinhibition and the components of aggression following severe TBI
Feb 11th 2024, 00:23

Volume 34, Issue 1, January 2024, Page 23-44.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09602011.2022.2149560?ai=2hw&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09602011-2022-2149560/) Disinhibited and angry: Investigating the relationship between social disinhibition and the components of aggression following severe TBI was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09602011-2022-2153149/) “You’re supporting the whole person”: A grounded theory study of quality support according to close others of people with neurological disability
Feb 11th 2024, 00:22

Volume 34, Issue 1, January 2024, Page 45-73.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09602011.2022.2153149?ai=2hw&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09602011-2022-2153149/) “You’re supporting the whole person”: A grounded theory study of quality support according to close others of people with neurological disability was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231225615/) How Institutional Logics Inform Emotional Labour: An Ethnography of Junior Doctors
Feb 11th 2024, 00:22

Work, Employment and Society, Ahead of Print. Sociological analysis of emotional labour can be aided by considering how institutional logics inform the performance of emotional labour. We consider the link between institutional logics and emotional labour by conducting an in-depth case study of junior doctors in a large UK hospital. We point to three key institutional logics – bureaucratic, consumerist and professional logics – and show how they inform the emotional labour of junior doctors. We also consider how doctors respond to these logics through enactment processes of choice, resistance and negotiation. In this way, we make an important theoretical contribution by identifying the way that institutional logics relate to the performance of emotional labour. We also make an important empirical contribution by contributing to a growing body of ethnographies on the emotional labour of doctors.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09500170231225615?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/09500170231225615/) How Institutional Logics Inform Emotional Labour: An Ethnography of Junior Doctors was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13576275-2022-2101095-2/) Deathscapes, erasures and posthumous identities: a comparison of cemeteries in Denmark and Cyprus
Feb 11th 2024, 00:22

Volume 29, Issue 1, February 2024, Page 37-52.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13576275.2022.2101095?ai=ug&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13576275-2022-2101095-2/) Deathscapes, erasures and posthumous identities: a comparison of cemeteries in Denmark and Cyprus was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13576275-2022-2107423-2/) Women’s experiences of adolescent maternal loss: grief, attachment and adolescent development
Feb 11th 2024, 00:22

Volume 29, Issue 1, February 2024, Page 53-68.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13576275.2022.2107423?ai=ug&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13576275-2022-2107423-2/) Women’s experiences of adolescent maternal loss: grief, attachment and adolescent development was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874241228551/) Emerging Metropolitan Spaces in Poland and France: Co-creation of New Territorialities Through Institutional Dialogue and Soft Planning
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Urban Affairs Review, Ahead of Print. Planning the development of metropolitan areas makes use of various forms of cooperation between associated territorial units. Regardless of the cooperation form adopted, dialogue is a factor that significantly facilitates solving spatial problems and gaining social acceptance for the selection of project locations. Its characteristics, including content, course, and participants, additionally determine the specificity of governance in a particular metropolis. The article aims to suggest a study of the emergence and improvement of an institutional dialogue and soft planning by comparing the experiences of selected Polish and French metropolitan areas. They represent different approaches to the use of dialogue in emerging metropolitan spaces resulting from different legal conditions, the length of time it takes for units to integrate, and the scale and orientation of strategic or operational interconnections.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10780874241228551?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10780874241228551/) Emerging Metropolitan Spaces in Poland and France: Co-creation of New Territorialities Through Institutional Dialogue and Soft Planning was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13674676-2023-2243459/) Ethnic differences in Muslim women’s mental health beliefs, rejection attitudes, and familiarity with professional mental healthcare
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Volume 26, Issue 9, November 2023, Page 890-907.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13674676.2023.2243459?ai=1h6&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13674676-2023-2243459/) Ethnic differences in Muslim women’s mental health beliefs, rejection attitudes, and familiarity with professional mental healthcare was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241232597/) Solving puzzles, playing games: The potential and pitfalls of entertainment education in teaching about sexuality
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Sexualities, Ahead of Print. This paper explores the potential of entertainment education (EE) in teaching about sexuality, especially in terms of (1) addressing gaps and instigating an approach that is more (2) youth-centred and (3) norm-critical than conventional sex education. Based on the analysis of five projects in the Netherlands (escape room, educational theatre performance, interactive website, offline game, VR production), we argue that these methods attend to often-overlooked themes. Moreover, they allow for higher levels of student activity and student responsibility: elements of a youth-centred approach. Yet, EE-initiatives are not by themselves more norm-critical, and we observed inequality practices such as heteronormativity and victim-blaming. In our conclusion, we define crucial conditions for realising the potential of EE in teaching about sexuality.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634607241232597?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241232597/) Solving puzzles, playing games: The potential and pitfalls of entertainment education in teaching about sexuality was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13674676-2023-2267469/) Believing in religion as a source of value strains among college students: a cross-sectional study
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Volume 26, Issue 9, November 2023, Page 941-955.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13674676.2023.2267469?ai=1h6&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13674676-2023-2267469/) Believing in religion as a source of value strains among college students: a cross-sectional study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241232556/) We are queer and the struggle is here! Visibility at the intersection of LGBT+ rights, post-coloniality, and development cooperation in Uganda
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Sexualities, Ahead of Print. This article unpacks different meanings of visibility and adds to a more complex and nuanced understanding of visibility and its role in LGBT + activism in Uganda, a widely discussed case of political homophobia. Public visibility has a central, although contested, role here. The study aims to explore how visibility is understood and navigated by local LGBT + activists, unaffiliated people with same-sex desires, as well as international development partners. Interviews conducted in Kampala from December 2021–January 2022 reveal different and complex narratives surrounding visibility. Local unaffiliated individuals and activists agreed on the importance of making the LGBT + rights struggle more visible. This, however, did not translate into a wish to “come out” themselves. International development actors expressed a need for caution regarding their own visibility, mindful that explicit and visual support may generate accusations of neo-imperialism.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634607241232556?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241232556/) We are queer and the struggle is here! Visibility at the intersection of LGBT+ rights, post-coloniality, and development cooperation in Uganda was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13674676-2023-2268553/) Streaming religious services during a public health crisis: how digital religion shapes population well-being and intergenerational learning
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Volume 26, Issue 9, November 2023, Page 850-872.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13674676.2023.2268553?ai=1h6&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13674676-2023-2268553/) Streaming religious services during a public health crisis: how digital religion shapes population well-being and intergenerational learning was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241230754/) Domesticity and the construction of intimacy: Producing the erotic body and self within ‘the love nest’
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Sexualities, Ahead of Print. Following recent academic attention on the neoliebral self, in this article, we situate the construction of the sexual self and body as part of an ongoing, neoliberal ‘aesthetic entrepreneurship’ and argue that people draw on various material and cultural resources in order to put these entrepreneurial selves together. Drawing on 40 open-ended interviews with young Greek adults aged between 20 and 33, conducted between 2018 and 2019, we explore the cultural and material resources people use in order to create the intimate self. We situate our work within an analytical framework about the ‘aesthetic labour’ people invest themselves into within neoliberalism and argue that such work contributes to the growing body of work on self-surveillance and the articulation of an ethical self.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634607241230754?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241230754/) Domesticity and the construction of intimacy: Producing the erotic body and self within ‘the love nest’ was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241230748/) Erotic habitus and collapsed masculinity in male-dominated spaces: The case of the no Fap relapse spaces
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Sexualities, Ahead of Print. This paper examines how men in online discourses are constrained by sexual ideals, and use curated discourses in an effort to empower their social selves. Drawing from Adam Green’s work, we speculate that an erotic habitus surrounding sexual ideas allows men who see themselves besieged by porn and masturbation addiction to craft specific male-oriented language. In this paper, we demonstrate how men operationalize this erotic habitus through discursive behaviors. We use thematic analysis to analyze the forum posts of men in the No Fap community, a worldwide association of men who have sworn off masturbation (n = 610). Particularly, we consider how the men articulate an antagonistic relationship with online pornography, and use an erotic habitus framed in language to note their reaction to perceived adversaries and their own strength to remain abstinent, devoid of humor, or sarcasm. These discourses have underlying elements of a muted relationship with patriarchal ideals, consistent with a collapsed masculinity. However, through the erasure of topics from these conversations, a heterosexist and women-absent conversation still implies a male-centric power.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634607241230748?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/13634607241230748/) Erotic habitus and collapsed masculinity in male-dominated spaces: The case of the no Fap relapse spaces was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08893675-2023-2188126/) Literary therapy based on positive psychology impact on college students’ happiness
Feb 11th 2024, 00:21

Volume 37, Issue 1, March 2024, Page 16-34.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08893675.2023.2188126?ai=16z&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08893675-2023-2188126/) Literary therapy based on positive psychology impact on college students’ happiness was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10497315241229667/) The Efficacy of an SFBT-Based Positive Psychology Intervention in Promoting University Students’ Post-Traumatic Growth and Psychological Resilience After the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Quasi-Experiment
Feb 11th 2024, 00:20

Research on Social Work Practice, Ahead of Print. Purpose: This study examines the efficacy of a positive psychology intervention involving solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT) techniques in promoting university students’ post-traumatic growth and psychological resilience after the COVID-19 pandemic. Methods: The research hypotheses were tested via a quasi-experimental design with pre- and post-tests including three groups: intervention (n = 28), active control (n = 25), and control groups (n = 57). We followed convenience sampling and recruited Chinese students after the peak of the pandemic. Results: Repeated-measures ANOVA revealed that there were significant main effects of groups in post-traumatic growth, F(2, 107) = 3.17, p < .05, η2 = .05, and psychological resilience, F(2, 107) = 4.19, p < .05, η2 = .06. The SFBT-based positive psychology intervention significantly increased both positive outcomes in the intervention group. Discussion: By applying SFBT techniques in positive psychology interventions, pandemic experiences can become an opportunity for students’ positive growth.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10497315241229667?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10497315241229667/) The Efficacy of an SFBT-Based Positive Psychology Intervention in Promoting University Students’ Post-Traumatic Growth and Psychological Resilience After the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Quasi-Experiment was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08893675-2023-2188769/) Poetry writing as a hope-building tool during the COVID-19 pandemic
Feb 11th 2024, 00:20

Volume 37, Issue 1, March 2024, Page 1-15.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08893675.2023.2188769?ai=16z&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08893675-2023-2188769/) Poetry writing as a hope-building tool during the COVID-19 pandemic was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10497315241229681/) Validation of a Multi-Dimensional Social Support Measure for Individuals Who  Are Incarcerated
Feb 11th 2024, 00:20

Research on Social Work Practice, Ahead of Print. Purpose: This study sought to validate the psychometric properties of the Network Composition Survey (NCS), a multi-dimensional conceptualization of social support for individuals who are incarcerated. Methods: Data included 1,539 individuals recruited in 50 prisons across four states to participate in the pilot trial of a prison reentry program. Exploratory factor analysis using the first support person data identified a factor structure, and confirmatory factor analysis verified that structure using the second and third support person data conducted with Mplus 8.2. Results: Two of the hypothesized dimensions, informational and emotional support, were confirmed, and a third factor of companionship was identified. Conclusion: The reduced NCS is a reliable and valid measure of multi-dimensional social support for individuals during incarceration. The NCS reflects a more nuanced assessment of the complexities of interpersonal dynamics with support figures. The NCS also provides utility services targeted for social support during reentry.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10497315241229681?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10497315241229681/) Validation of a Multi-Dimensional Social Support Measure for Individuals Who  Are Incarcerated was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08893675-2023-2205549/) Sing along with Milarepa: songs of liberation from lust and craving
Feb 11th 2024, 00:20

Volume 37, Issue 1, March 2024, Page 49-62.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08893675.2023.2205549?ai=16z&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08893675-2023-2205549/) Sing along with Milarepa: songs of liberation from lust and craving was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10497315241229680/) Practice Research Partnerships in Social Work: Addressing Impact and Credible Evidence
Feb 11th 2024, 00:20

Research on Social Work Practice, Ahead of Print. Purpose: This article builds on the Practice Research Collaboratives (PRCs) as an initiative that developed from the Fifth Conference on Practice Research to provide a platform for practice researchers to engage actively around impact and influence. Research question: The unique features of research activities that enable transformational impact in three cases in social work practice research involving long-term community and university research partnerships. Methodology: Literature review and comparison of case studies. Results: The cases show how the processes of implementation are not only seen as linear, but constantly evolving at the same time as intervention fidelity in social work is crucial to improving outcomes for people, which can have transformative impacts for individuals and systems alike. Conclusion: We conclude by describing the importance of understanding the feasibility of complex problems and complex social situation which requires meaningful communication between partners, transparency and involvement of all players throughout the process.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10497315241229680?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10497315241229680/) Practice Research Partnerships in Social Work: Addressing Impact and Credible Evidence was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08893675-2023-2203833/) Poetry therapy and Eco-Anxiety – a case study
Feb 11th 2024, 00:20

Volume 37, Issue 1, March 2024, Page 35-48.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08893675.2023.2203833?ai=16z&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/08893675-2023-2203833/) Poetry therapy and Eco-Anxiety – a case study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10497315231200351/) Effects of Self-Management Interventions on Challenging Behavior: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Feb 11th 2024, 00:20

Research on Social Work Practice, Ahead of Print. Purpose: The systematic review and meta-analysis evaluated the effectiveness of self-management interventions on classroom behaviors and academic outcomes. Methods: Review procedures followed Campbell Collaboration guidelines to search, select, and extract data from published and unpublished studies employing an experimental/quasi-experimental comparison group or single-case experimental design assessing the effects of a self-management intervention in schools. Seventy-five single-case design studies (236 participants; 456 effects) and 4 comparison group studies (422 participants; 11 effects) were included. Results: Single-case results indicated self-management interventions positively impacted challenging behaviors (LRRi = 0.69 [0.59, 0.78]) and academic outcomes (LRRi = 0.58 [0.41, 0.76]). A significant main effect for improving challenging behaviors was revealed in group design studies (g = 0.63 [0.08, 1.17]). Discussion: Limitations, including methodological shortcomings in the single-group design studies and the small number of comparison group studies, should be considered when interpreting findings. Implications for practice and future research are discussed.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/10497315231200351?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/10497315231200351/) Effects of Self-Management Interventions on Challenging Behavior: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00110000231215842/) Assessing a Community-Based Maternal Self-Efficacy Intervention in Rural India using a Quasi-Experimental Design
Feb 10th 2024, 23:58

The Counseling Psychologist, Ahead of Print. More than 175 million people in India live below the poverty line and are concentrated in rural areas. Families in rural Indian communities may benefit from interventions that support long-term well-being. Maternal self-efficacy (MSE) may be an important target for interventions given prior associations with positive maternal and child outcomes. The present study examined MSE in a pilot community-based group intervention delivered in rural North India. Using convenience sampling recruitment and a quasi-experimental design, 97 mothers (79 self-identified as low-caste) with at least one child between 0–24 months who engaged in the intervention were compared with a matched control group (n = 219; 114 low-caste). Findings suggest that participation in the intervention was associated with higher MSE (ß = .294, p = .020) and the positive association was stronger amongst mothers from low-caste groups who participated in the intervention (ß = .390, p = .008). MSE may be malleable with the right approach and could be an important target for public health interventions, particularly for low-caste groups in rural India.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00110000231215842?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00110000231215842/) Assessing a Community-Based Maternal Self-Efficacy Intervention in Rural India using a Quasi-Experimental Design was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/to-help-chinese-communities-adapt-to-climate-change-listen-to-them/) To help Chinese communities adapt to climate change, listen to them
Feb 10th 2024, 23:54

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/grey-literature/to-help-chinese-communities-adapt-to-climate-change-listen-to-them/) To help Chinese communities adapt to climate change, listen to them was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00207640231214979/) Similar and different? A cross-cultural comparison of the prevalence, course of and factors associated with suicidal thoughts and behaviors in first-episode psychosis in Chennai, India and Montreal, Canada
Feb 10th 2024, 23:09

International Journal of Social Psychiatry, Ahead of Print. Background:Data from high-income countries (HICs) show a high risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors (STBs) in first-episode psychosis (FEP). It is unknown, however, whether rates and associated factors differ in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).Aims:We therefore aimed to compare the 2-year course of STBs and associated factors in persons with FEP treated in two similarly structured early intervention services in Chennai, India and Montreal, Canada.Method:To ensure fit to the data that included persons without STBs and with varying STBs’ severity, a hurdle model was conducted by site, including known predictors of STBs. The 2-year evolution of STBs was compared by site with mixed-effects ordered logistic regression.Results:The study included 333 FEP patients (168 in Chennai, 165 in Montreal). A significant decrease in STBs was observed at both sites (OR = 0.87; 95% CI [0.84, 0.90]), with the greatest decline in the first 2 months of follow-up. Although three Chennai women died by suicide in the first 4 months (none in Montreal), Chennai patients had a lower risk of STBs over follow-up (OR = 0.44; 95% CI [0.23, 0.81]). Some factors (depression, history of suicide attempts) were consistently associated with STBs across contexts, while others (gender, history of suicidal ideation, relationship status) were associated at only one of the two sites.Conclusions:This is the first study to compare STBs in FEP between two distinct geo-sociocultural contexts (an HIC and an LMIC). At both sites, STBs reduced after treatment initiation, suggesting that early intervention reduces STBs across contexts. At both sites, for some patients, STBs persisted or first appeared during follow-up, indicating need for suicide prevention throughout follow-up. Our study demonstrates contextual variations in rates and factors associated with STBs. This has implications for tailoring suicide prevention and makes the case for more research on STBs in FEP in diverse contexts.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00207640231214979?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/00207640231214979/) Similar and different? A cross-cultural comparison of the prevalence, course of and factors associated with suicidal thoughts and behaviors in first-episode psychosis in Chennai, India and Montreal, Canada was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/anger-sadness-boredom-anxiety-emotions-that-feel-bad-can-be-useful/) Anger, sadness, boredom, anxiety – emotions that feel bad can be useful
Feb 10th 2024, 22:23

These types of emotions are unpleasant to experience and can even feel overwhelming. People often try to avoid them, suppress them or ignore them. In fact, in psychology experiments, people will pay money to not feel many negative emotions. But recent research is revealing that emotions can be useful, and even negative emotions can bring benefits.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/anger-sadness-boredom-anxiety-emotions-that-feel-bad-can-be-useful/) Anger, sadness, boredom, anxiety – emotions that feel bad can be useful was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/if-psychedelics-heal-how-do-they-do-it/) If psychedelics heal, how do they do it?
Feb 10th 2024, 22:12

Psychedelic treatment rooms, like this one at the University of California San Francisco’s Neuroscape center, are intended to be cozy, calming spaces. How such environs affect treatment efficacy is still a matter of some debate.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/news/if-psychedelics-heal-how-do-they-do-it/) If psychedelics heal, how do they do it? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02654075231224803/) Negative speaks louder than positive: Negative implicit partner evaluations forecast destructive daily interactions and relationship decline
Feb 10th 2024, 22:08

Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Ahead of Print. Romantic relationships are affectively complex. Any given interaction consists of both rewarding and aversive features. Recent work has shown that implicit partner evaluations (IPEs)—evaluations spontaneously triggered when one thinks about one’s partner—are also affectively complex. Does such complexity in IPEs help individuals navigate rewarding and aversive aspects inherent in interactions? The present work examined the proposition that negative IPEs uniquely forecast aversive daily relationship behaviors, whereas positive IPEs uniquely forecast rewarding daily relationship behaviors. Individuals self-identified as in a heterosexual romantic relationship completed measures to assess their implicit and explicit partner evaluations at two time points, spanning a three-month period, as well as a daily diary component. Time-1 negative IPEs forecasted perceiving and enacting negative behaviors during a 14-day daily diary, which, in turn, predicted deterioration in explicit partner and relationship evaluations 3-months later. The predictive ability of negative IPEs remained even after statistically controlling for positive IPEs and explicit evaluations. Positive IPEs were weak and inconsistent predictors of outcomes. The findings shine a spotlight on the differential functions of positive and negative IPEs, the importance of assessing negative IPEs independently from positive IPEs, and the role of negative IPEs in predicting destructive relationship experiences.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/02654075231224803?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2024/journal-article-abstracts/02654075231224803/) Negative speaks louder than positive: Negative implicit partner evaluations forecast destructive daily interactions and relationship decline was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed