Your Daily digest for PsyPost – Psychology News Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Thu Aug 8 07:31:51 PDT 2024

PsyPost – Psychology News Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://www.psypost.org/psychology-researchers-unveil-core-traits-of-malignant-narcissism-highlighting-its-antagonistic-nature/) Researchers unveil core traits of malignant narcissism, highlighting its antagonistic nature
Aug 8th 2024, 10:00

A recent study published in the (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10862-024-10147-y) Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment sheds light on the core psychopathological features of malignant narcissism, revealing its strong associations with Machiavellianism and psychopathy. The findings confirm that malignant narcissism is primarily an antagonistic psychopathology, characterized by manipulation, deceit, and a lack of empathy.
“I researched malignant narcissism as part of my doctoral thesis in psychology at the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (Québec, Canada). One of my areas of interest is socially aversive (‘dark’) personalities, in which malignant narcissism falls into. My interest in studying the syndrome initially stemmed from increasing discussion on malignant narcissism in the media and popular discourse,” said study author (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jonathan-Faucher) Jonathan Faucher, a postdoctoral fellow at Laval University.
Public figures such as Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Saddam Hussein have been retrospectively analyzed and suggested to exhibit traits of malignant narcissism due to their grandiosity, lack of empathy, and sadistic behaviors. In contemporary times, commentators and analysts have similarly suggested that Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin display characteristics consistent with malignant narcissism.
“The syndrome has long been discussed in clinical/conceptual literature,” Faucher explained. “Still, there was very limited empirical research on malignant narcissism — so, the contrast between conceptual vs. empirical literature was particularly striking. Regarding the Dark Tetrad, it was also among my interests, as it also belongs to the dark side of personality. It has been proposed in literature that malignant narcissism and the Dark Tetrad might be especially close given that they are highly similar in nature (and in the components that they include). Thus, we were interested in empirically verifying this theoretical association.”
For their study, the researchers recruited a sample of 1,151 French-speaking participants from Quebec, Canada, using online methods such as social media, institutional mailing lists, and snowball sampling. The participants ranged in age from 18 to 84 years old and included 875 women, 261 men, and seven individuals of other gender identities.
Participants were asked to complete a series of self-report questionnaires designed to measure various personality traits and tendencies. The primary tool used to assess malignant narcissism was the Malignant Narcissism Based on Personality Inventory for DSM-5 Facets (MNARC-PID-5), a scoring procedure based on the Personality Inventory for DSM-5.
This inventory evaluates maladaptive personality facets across five domains: Negative Affectivity, Detachment, Antagonism, Disinhibition, and Psychoticism. The researchers focused on 11 facets central to malignant narcissism, including grandiosity, callousness, manipulativeness, hostility, suspiciousness, deceitfulness, irresponsibility, risk-taking, restricted affectivity, impulsivity, and attention-seeking.
“The first step of our research on malignant narcissism was to develop a measure to assess the syndrome, given that there were limited assessment methods that were practical and easy to use,” Faucher told PsyPost. “Details on the development of this instrument are documented in another paper in the (https://doi.org/10.1080/00223891.2021.2019052) Journal of Personality Assessment.”
“We used this measure in the current paper. Our goal with this instrument was to provide researchers and clinicians with a practical and flexible measure to assess malignant narcissism. We hope that this instrument, in conjunction with work from other groups, will foster additional research on malignant narcissism—which has been limitedly studied empirically at this point.”
To measure the dark personality traits, the participants completed the Dark Triad Dirty Dozen (DTDD), which assesses Machiavellianism, narcissism, and psychopathy, and the Comprehensive Assessment of Sadistic Tendencies (CAST), which evaluates various forms of sadism. For paranoia, the Revised Green et al. Paranoid Thoughts Scale (R-GPTS) was used. This scale distinguishes between ideas of reference (the belief that others are talking about or conspiring against oneself) and persecutory thoughts (the belief that others intend to cause harm).
The study revealed that malignant narcissism is strongly associated with Machiavellianism and psychopathy. These traits were the most significant predictors of malignant narcissism, indicating that individuals with high levels of malignant narcissism tend to exhibit strategic manipulation, impulsivity, and a lack of empathy.
Narcissism and sadism also showed significant associations with malignant narcissism, though to a lesser extent. While grandiosity and attention-seeking behaviors inherent in narcissism are components of malignant narcissism, they were not as dominant as Machiavellianism and psychopathy. Similarly, sadism, characterized by deriving pleasure from others’ suffering, contributed to malignant narcissism but was less central than the other dark traits.
The researchers also found that ideas of reference, the less severe form of paranoia involving beliefs of others talking about or conspiring against oneself, were significantly associated with malignant narcissism. However, more severe persecutory thoughts did not show a strong association. This suggests that while individuals with malignant narcissism may experience social paranoia and mistrust, they might not exhibit the extreme paranoia typical of psychotic disorders.
“We compared components of the Dark Tetrad — Machiavellianism, psychopathy, narcissism, and sadism — as well as paranoia, to determine which of them are the most closely linked to malignant narcissism,” Faucher explained. “Our results highlight that malignant narcissism is particularly close (a) to psychopathy (e.g., shallowness, impulsivity, risk taking) and Machiavellianism (e.g., cynicism, utilitarian approach, unprincipledness); (2) followed by narcissism (e.g., grandiosity, attention seeking, entitlement); and (3) then by paranoia (e.g., mistrust, fear that others intend harm) and sadism (pleasure in others’ suffering).”
“Malignant narcissism is sometimes positioned as a variant of narcissistic personality disorder. Hence, it could have been expected that it would be particularly close to narcissism from the Dark Tetrad. However, our results instead highlight that malignant narcissism is especially close to psychopathy and Machiavellianism. We hypothesize that this is because we assessed narcissism with an instrument (the Dark Triad Dirty Dozen) that more specifically covers features of exhibitionism and attention-seeking—and while these tendencies are linked to malignant narcissism, they are not as salient as other impairments.”
“In brief, in malignant narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism appear to be predominant, followed by narcissism, and then by paranoia and sadism,” Faucher said. “However, as these are the first findings on the matter, it is important to note that additional results (and replication data) are mandatory to support this conclusion.”
For instance, the research focused on a nonclinical population, which might not fully capture the severity and nuances of malignant narcissism in clinical settings. Replicating these results in clinical populations would help to confirm the syndrome’s characteristics and associations.
The study also underscored the need for more comprehensive measures that can distinguish malignant narcissism from other related constructs like narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders. While the MNARC-PID-5 is a promising tool, its continued refinement and validation are crucial for advancing research and clinical practice.
“Malignant narcissism shares features with other psychopathologies and/or personality constructs,” Faucher told PsyPost. “A good example is the Dark Tetrad (constituted of Machiavellianism, psychopathy, narcissism, sadism), which we studied in this research. Malignant narcissism is also conceptually close to other personality disorders, e.g., narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders (which we also studied and compared to malignant narcissism in another paper). Thus, an important next step, in our research on malignant narcissism, is further documenting its associations and distinctions from other closely related personality constructs.”
“For instance, although we studied the associations between malignant narcissism and the Dark Tetrad, it would also be necessary to compare these two personality constructs, to assess their degree of similarity and highlight their differences (i.e., what makes them unique, or distinguishes them). The same goes for the other personality disorders that I have mentioned — although we have uncovered distinctions between malignant narcissism, and narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders, additional data remain required to better understand the nuances between these similar disorders.”
The study, “(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10862-024-10147-y) Malignant Narcissism, the Dark Tetrad, and Paranoia: A Comparative Study Using Relative Importance Analyses,” Jonathan Faucher and Dominick Gamache.

(https://www.psypost.org/sleep-loss-impacts-overweight-teens-cognitive-abilities-more-severely/) Sleep loss impacts overweight teens’ cognitive abilities more severely
Aug 8th 2024, 08:00

A recent study has found that adolescents who are overweight or obese are more susceptible to cognitive impairments following sleep restriction compared to their peers with healthy weight. This research was published in (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/2819037) JAMA Neurology.
Previous research has established a link between pediatric obesity and cognitive difficulties, such as impaired executive function. Poor sleep has also been associated with increased adiposity (having a lot of body fat) and impaired cognition. However, the mechanisms underlying these associations have remained unclear.
Led by Lindsay M. Stager, researchers from the University of Alabama at Birmingham aimed to investigate the effects of adiposity and sleep on adolescent cognitive function.
Stager and colleagues began by recruiting 61 adolescents aged 14 to 19 years.Questionnaires were administered on demographics and eating behaviors. Following this, adiposity was measured using body mass index (BMI) as well as total body fat percentage (TBF%), which categorized the participants into having a healthy weight (31 adolescents) and being overweight or obese (30 adolescents).
The study involved two sleep conditions: adequate sleep, with an average duration of 8 hours and 54 minutes, and restricted sleep, with an average duration of 4 hours and 12 minutes. After each sleep condition, the adolescents underwent cognitive assessments to evaluate several aspects of their cognition.
This included global cognition (overall indication of how well the brain functions), fluid cognition (ability to solve new problems and use logic in new situations), cognitive flexibility (brain’s ability to handle thinking about multiple concepts at once), working memory (the brain’s ability to temporarily hold and work with information), episodic memory (memories of specific events in life), attention (ability to focus on a task without getting distracted), as well as processing speed (how quickly the brain can understand and react to information).
The findings revealed that restricted sleep led to poorer global cognition, fluid cognition, and cognitive flexibility in adolescents who were overweight or obese, compared to adequate sleep. In contrast, no significant differences in cognitive performance were observed for adolescents with healthy weight between the two sleep conditions.
Adolescents who were obese or overweight also had significantly lower attention scores following restricted sleep when compared to their peers with healthy weight who also had restricted sleep.
No differences were evident following adequate sleep for either group.
Stager and colleagues noted the significance of their findings: “cognitive impairments predict increased symptoms of anxiety and depression, bullying, decreased adherence to medical recommendations, poorer academic achievement, less healthy food choices, and many other aspects of daily living. Further, the cognitive impacts of sleep restriction can be additive when sleep is restricted across multiple nights. Thus, if adolescents experience chronic sleep restriction, which may commonly occur during the school week, the above effects may be compounded.”
Overall, the study underscores the importance of adequate sleep for adolescents, particularly those with overweight or obesity.
However, the study had some limitations. For instance, the at-home sleep conditions may have introduced variability in participants’ sleep duration and environment.
The study, “(https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/2819037) Effect of Sleep Restriction on Adolescent Cognition by Adiposity”, was authored by Lindsay M. Stager, Caroline S. Watson, Edwin W. Cook III, and Aaron D. Fobian.

(https://www.psypost.org/do-i-have-autism-raads-14-test/) Could you be autistic? Discover with the RAADS-14 test
Aug 8th 2024, 07:00

Have you ever wondered why social interactions can be so challenging for you, or why certain sensory experiences seem overwhelming? Perhaps you’ve been told you’re a bit different, or you’ve struggled to fit in despite your best efforts. These experiences might have left you questioning if there’s a deeper reason behind them.
Understanding oneself is a journey, and for some, this journey may lead to the realization that they are on the autism spectrum. The Ritvo Autism and Asperger Diagnostic Scale is a quick and reliable tool designed to help adults recognize potential autistic traits. (You can take the test below.)
(https://www.psypost.org/exclusive/mentalhealth/autism/) Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurodevelopmental condition characterized by difficulties in social interaction, communication challenges, and a tendency to engage in repetitive behaviors. ASD is a spectrum, meaning its symptoms can vary widely among individuals. Some people with autism may have significant challenges that impact their daily lives, while others might have more subtle traits that go unnoticed without a closer look.
ASD is not a rare condition. It affects millions of people worldwide, and awareness of its varied presentations has increased significantly over the years. One of the key challenges in diagnosing autism, especially in adults, is that its symptoms often overlap with those of other psychiatric conditions such as anxiety, depression, ADHD, and personality disorders. This overlap can lead to misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis, making it crucial for individuals and clinicians to have reliable screening tools.
The (https://molecularautism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2040-2392-4-49) Ritvo Autism and Asperger Diagnostic Scale (RAADS-14) is a streamlined version of a more comprehensive tool designed to help identify autistic traits in adults. Developed to address the need for a quick and efficient screening method, the RAADS-14 focuses on key areas that are indicative of autism. This scale is particularly useful in clinical settings where time and resources may be limited, but it’s also valuable for individuals seeking to understand their own experiences better.
The RAADS-14 consists of 14 statements that reflect behaviors and feelings commonly associated with autism. These statements are grouped into three main domains:

Mentalizing Deficits: These items assess difficulties in understanding social cues, reading body language, and interpreting the intentions of others. Individuals with mentalizing deficits may find social interactions confusing or exhausting.
Sensory Reactivity: This domain includes items that measure sensitivity to sensory experiences such as sounds, textures, and lights. People with heightened sensory reactivity might feel overwhelmed in environments that others find perfectly normal.
Social Anxiety: These items evaluate discomfort and anxiety in social situations. Individuals might feel nervous or out of place in social gatherings, struggle with small talk, or avoid social interactions altogether.

Each statement in the RAADS-14 is rated on a four-point scale, ranging from “never true” to “true now and when I was young.” The responses are then summed to provide a total score, which can help indicate the likelihood of autistic traits. A score of 14 or higher suggests a higher probability of ASD, warranting further exploration with a healthcare professional.
(https://www.psypost.org/do-i-have-autism-raads-14-test/#take-the-test) Take the RAADS-14 Adult Autism Assessment

RAADS-14

It is difficult for me to understand how other people are feeling when we are talking.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

Some ordinary textures that do not bother others feel very offensive when they touch my skin.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

It is very difficult for me to work and function in groups.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

It is difficult to figure out what other people expect of me.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

I often don’t know how to act in social situations.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

I can chat and make small talk with people.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

When I feel overwhelmed by my senses, I have to isolate myself to shut them down.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

How to make friends and socialize is a mystery to me.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

When talking to someone, I have a hard time telling when it is my turn to talk or to listen.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

Sometimes I have to cover my ears to block out painful noises (like vacuum cleaners or people talking too much or too loudly).
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

It can be very hard to read someone’s face, hand, and body movements when we are talking.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

I focus on details rather than the overall idea.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

I take things too literally, so I often miss what people are trying to say.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

I get extremely upset when the way I like to do things is suddenly changed.
*

 True now and when I was young.
 True only now.
 True only when I was younger than 16.
 Never true.

Submit

If you are human, leave this field blank.

This article and the RAADS-14 test are intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis or treatment. If you have concerns about autism or other mental health conditions, please consult a qualified healthcare professional who can provide a comprehensive evaluation and appropriate guidance. Self-assessment can be a helpful first step, but it is important to seek professional advice to obtain an accurate diagnosis and receive the support you may need.

(https://www.psypost.org/loneliness-haunts-us-even-in-our-dreams-new-psychology-research-suggests/) Loneliness haunts us even in our dreams, new psychology research suggests
Aug 8th 2024, 06:00

The unsettling experience of nightmares is something many people have faced, but new research has found that loneliness might be a significant predictor of their frequency. A recent study published in (https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.2024.2378418) The Journal of Psychology explored this connection, suggesting that our need for social bonds is deeply intertwined with our sleep quality.
“We have long studied the health benefits that accompany close, affectionate relationships, so that naturally sparks our interest in understanding how well-being suffers when people feel disconnected and lonely. A handful of studies had shown that loneliness increases the frequency and intensity of nightmares, so we wanted to dig deeper and explore why that occurs,” said study author (https://www.koryfloyd.com/about) Kory Floyd, a professor of communication and psychology at the University of Arizona and licensed mental health counselor.
The evolutionary theory of loneliness, proposed by John T. Cacioppo and Stephanie Cacioppo, posits that loneliness is an adaptive mechanism evolved to signal threats to our social bonds. This distressing state motivates us to reconnect with others, much like hunger prompts us to eat. Given the significant role of social connections in human survival, the theory suggests that unmet social needs would trigger aversive responses to encourage social reintegration. The researchers aimed to test if these aversive responses could include disturbed sleep.
“Cacioppo and Cacioppo’s evolutionary theory explains that loneliness leaves us feeling vulnerable in the world and hyperattentive to threat,” Floyd explained. “We used this reasoning, specifically, to identify the mechanisms of stress, hyperarousal, and rumination that we tested in these two studies.”
The research consisted of two studies. The first study utilized a secondary analysis of existing data from a sample of 827 U.S. adults, ranging in age from 18 to 81 years. Participants were recruited through an online platform and completed a series of questionnaires. The sample was matched to the U.S. adult population in terms of gender, age, and racial categories to ensure representativeness.
Loneliness was measured using the UCLA Loneliness Scale, which includes items like “How often do you feel that you lack companionship?” and “How often do you feel left out?” Nightmare frequency was assessed using the Nightmare Experience Scale. Additionally, stress was measured with the Perceived Stress Scale, capturing participants’ feelings of stress over the past month.
The second study involved 782 U.S. adults, recruited through similar online methods. This study expanded on the first by including measures for both the frequency and intensity of nightmares, as well as hyperarousal and rumination. Loneliness and nightmare frequency were measured using the same scales as in the first study. Nightmare intensity was assessed with the Nightmare Distress Questionnaire, which includes items like “Do nightmares interfere with the quality of your sleep?”
Hyperarousal was measured using the Hyperarousal Scale, which captures a person’s level of alertness and sensitivity to stimuli, while rumination was assessed with the Response Styles Theory Rumination Scale, focusing on repetitive negative thinking. The researchers used hierarchical multiple regression and path analysis to test multiple mediation effects simultaneously, examining how hyperarousal and rumination might mediate the relationship between loneliness and both the frequency and intensity of nightmares.
The findings from both studies were consistent and supported the researchers’ hypotheses. In the first study, loneliness was found to significantly predict the frequency of nightmares, even after controlling for age and gender. This result confirmed the initial hypothesis that loneliness is directly related to nightmare frequency. Moreover, the mediation analysis showed that stress partially mediated this relationship, indicating that the stress associated with loneliness contributes to an increase in nightmares.
The second study replicated these findings and extended them to include nightmare intensity. It demonstrated that loneliness also significantly predicted the intensity of nightmares. Furthermore, the path analysis revealed that hyperarousal and rumination were significant mediators of the relationship between loneliness and both the frequency and intensity of nightmares. This means that the heightened state of alertness and repetitive negative thinking associated with loneliness play crucial roles in exacerbating nightmare experiences.
Interestingly, when hyperarousal and rumination were considered, stress did not significantly mediate the relationship between loneliness and nightmares, suggesting that these factors might be more critical in understanding the impact of loneliness on sleep disturbances.
“Having close, meaningful relationships is so vital for humans that we suffer in multiple ways when that need goes unmet,” Floyd told PsyPost. “Feeling lonely can cause us to experience stress, worry, and hyperarousal that can affect even how frequent and intense our nightmares are.”
But, as with all research, there are some caveats to consider. “This research is cross-sectional, so it does not establish for certain that loneliness causes nightmare frequency and intensity,” Floyd noted. “We also studied only U.S. American adults, so it is unclear whether the findings would vary for children and/or non-U.S. Americans.”
Longitudinal studies are needed to confirm whether loneliness causes increased nightmares over time or if the relationship is bidirectional. Another important direction for future research is to explore the content of nightmares experienced by lonely individuals. Understanding whether certain themes are more prevalent in nightmares associated with loneliness could offer deeper insights into the emotional and psychological processes involved.
“One long-term goal is to test the efficacy of therapeutically based treatments to determine whether they improve not only loneliness itself but its comorbidities, including the experience of nightmares,” Floyd said.
The study, “(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00223980.2024.2378418) Interpersonal Loneliness Predicts the Frequency and Intensity of Nightmares: An Examination of Theoretic Mechanisms,” was authored by Kory Floyd, Colin Hesse, Colter D. Ray, and Alan C. Mikkelson.

(https://www.psypost.org/study-reveals-ais-potential-to-detect-loneliness-by-deciphering-speech-patterns/) Study reveals AI’s potential to detect loneliness by deciphering speech patterns
Aug 7th 2024, 16:00

In a new study published in (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2024.116078) Psychiatry Research, scientists have discovered that artificial intelligence (AI) can detect loneliness by analyzing unstructured speech. This research offers promising new methods for identifying and addressing loneliness, particularly in older adults, through the nuanced analysis of how people communicate.
Loneliness is a pervasive issue affecting people of all ages, with older adults being particularly vulnerable. Defined as the distress caused by a gap between desired and actual social relationships, loneliness can significantly impact both mental and physical health. The problem is exacerbated by age-related factors such as the loss of loved ones, decreased mobility, and health challenges.
Traditional assessments of loneliness rely on self-report scales like the UCLA Loneliness Scale and the DeJong Giervald Scale, which can be time-consuming and subject to biases. Recognizing these issues, the researchers aimed to develop an AI model that could analyze speech data to detect loneliness, thereby offering a more scalable and less intrusive method of assessment.
“The impact of loneliness and social isolation can be devastating as we age. This has been something my patients have been reporting for a while and I wanted to know what we can do to combat this growing problem,” said study author (https://www.leelaboratory.com/) Ellen E. Lee, an associate professor at UC San Diego and staff psychiatrist at the San Diego VA Healthcare System.
The study included 97 older adults, with ages ranging from 66 to 101 years, living independently in a senior housing community in Southern California.
To gather sociodemographic data, trained study staff conducted clinical interviews. Data collected included age, sex at birth, racial background, years of education, and marital status.
The primary assessment tool for loneliness was the UCLA Loneliness Scale (Version 3), a validated 20-item self-report survey that measures various aspects of social functioning without explicitly using the word “lonely.” Participants were categorized as lonely or not lonely based on their scores on this scale.
Qualitative interviews covered six main topics: social relationships, loneliness, successful aging, meaning and purpose in life, wisdom, and technology use. These semi-structured interviews were conducted by a single interviewer and were audio-taped and transcribed.
Using the linguistic features extracted from the interview transcripts, the researchers developed an AI model based on transformer neural networks. Explainable AI (XAI) techniques were employed to identify which aspects of the speech data were most indicative of loneliness. The analysis revealed that both semantic and non-semantic elements of speech were significant indicators.
The semantic elements of speech, which relate to the meaning and content of the words, revealed that lonely individuals frequently referenced social status, religion, and expressed more negative emotions. For instance, in discussions about the meaning and purpose of life, lonely participants often mentioned social status and religion more prominently. This suggests that these individuals might be seeking validation or comfort in these areas.
Conversely, non-lonely individuals often talked about family and lifestyle, indicating a focus on social connections and activities that likely contribute to their sense of fulfillment and community.
The use of personal pronouns also varied significantly. Lonely individuals used first-person singular pronouns like “I” and “me” more frequently, reflecting a more self-focused perspective. In contrast, non-lonely individuals used first-person plural pronouns such as “we” and “ours,” suggesting a greater sense of inclusion and connection with others. This aligns with the understanding that loneliness is often accompanied by a heightened sense of isolation and self-focus.
“We found that non-social themed words were also reflective of loneliness depending on the different types of interview questions and prompts,” Lee told PsyPost. “For example, lonely individuals use more feeling adjectives when they are asked to describe wisdom. This may reflect how we tend to respond to different questions when we feel more lonely or highlight other qualities or experiences that are related to loneliness.”
Non-semantic elements, which include aspects of speech that convey how something is said rather than what is said, were also critical indicators of loneliness. The study found that conversational fillers (e.g., “uh,” “um”), non-fluencies (e.g., repetitions, false starts), and internet slang (e.g., “lol”) were more prevalent in the speech of lonely individuals.
Moreover, the use of causation conjunctions (e.g., “because,” “therefore”) was more common among lonely individuals, indicating a tendency to provide more detailed and perhaps rationalized explanations of their experiences.
The findings provide evidence that “the way we communicate may reflect our feelings about social relationships,” Lee said. “Newer AI approaches that allow us to open the ‘black box’ and how language can be linked to social functioning.”
But the study, like all research, has some limitations. “These findings are from a relatively small sample of older adults in San Diego, who were generally well-educated and primarily White,” Lee noted. “Our models can help generate new hypotheses about different concepts, however, we will need more inclusive and diverse participants to build unbiased and informative models.”
“We hope to expand our work to more diverse populations, looking at older adults with serious mental illnesses , and understand how to better assess loneliness to capture the large heterogeneity and personal nature of loneliness.”
The study, “(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165178124003639) Decoding loneliness: Can explainable AI help in understanding language differences in lonely older adults?“, was authored by Ning Wang, Sanchit Goel, Stephanie Ibrahim, Varsha D. Badal, Colin Depp, Erhan Bilal, Koduvayur Subbalakshmi, and Ellen Lee.

(https://www.psypost.org/new-research-highlights-the-emotional-and-cognitive-benefits-of-classical-music-ensembles-for-youth/) New research highlights the emotional and cognitive benefits of classical music ensembles for youth
Aug 7th 2024, 14:00

In the hustle and bustle of adolescence, finding activities that foster personal growth can be challenging. Yet, a new study published in the journal (https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0306326) PLOS ONE suggests that playing music in an ensemble might be a key to unlocking valuable life skills in young musicians. The explorative qualitative study interviewed adolescents who participated in a long-term music education program, shedding light on the benefits and challenges they experienced.
Previous studies have highlighted the positive effects of music on children and young people, but there is limited research on how playing in a classical music ensemble specifically impacts life skills. The study aimed to fill this gap by exploring the self-perceptions of young musicians, focusing on the skills they developed and the challenges they faced.
“I have always had an interest in studying the development of life skills in young people. Life skills (such as effective communication, active listening, empathy, self -regulation and problem-solving) can significantly enhance one’s ability to navigate both personal and professional challenges successfully are protective factors for young people because they equip them with essential abilities to navigate various challenges and stressors in their lives,” said study author (https://research.edgehill.ac.uk/en/persons/anna-bussu) Anna Bussu, a senior lecturer at Edge Hill University.
“Through my academic work in social and educational psychology, I have been particularly curious about the development of life skills among adolescents, a critical period for personal development. While there is extensive literature on the cognitive and academic benefits of music, I noticed a gap in exploring how participation in a classical music ensemble might influence adolescents’ self-perception of confidence and emotional and social-relational skills. This research not only aims to fill that gap but also has broader implications for educational practices and the potential integration of classical music into curricula to foster holistic development.”
To conduct this study, researchers employed a convenience sampling technique, selecting 15 adolescents aged 12 to 18 who had participated in a music education program led by a charity in Liverpool, England. This program, provided by the charity Early Music as Education (EMAE), offered a range of learning activities at no cost, including tutorials, classes, seminars, and residentials abroad.
The research team conducted semi-structured interviews, lasting between 45 and 60 minutes, with each participant. These interviews were audio-recorded, transcribed, and analyzed using NVivo software, following a thematic analysis approach. This method allowed researchers to identify key themes and patterns in the participants’ responses, shedding light on their experiences and perceptions.
The thematic analysis revealed two primary themes: the benefits of playing and learning in an ensemble and the challenges experienced by young musicians.
Participants reported that playing in an ensemble helped them develop not only their musical abilities but also crucial life skills. These skills were categorized into three main areas: cognitive, emotional, and social-relational.
Adolescents noted that their critical thinking and self-awareness improved through ensemble participation. They learned to evaluate their performance critically and manage their time and self-discipline effectively. For instance, one participant mentioned how the structured practice schedule helped them prepare for school and other responsibilities.
Self-confidence also emerged as a significant benefit of ensemble playing. Many participants felt more comfortable performing in front of large audiences and engaging with others. They also learned to manage their emotions, particularly frustration and anxiety, which are common challenges in musical practice.
Playing in an ensemble fostered effective communication and interpersonal skills. Participants learned to listen to others, work as a team, and build positive relationships. These social connections extended beyond the musical setting, with some participants noting how ensemble activities helped them socialize more easily in other contexts.
“Playing music together in person is not just about learning music, but is especially crucial in the post-COVID context for developing interpersonal life skills and community building,” Bussu told PsyPost. “These dimensions are fundamental for young people’s well-being and for boosting their self-confidence. Engaging in group music activities helps develop essential social skills and a sense of belonging, which are vital for their overall development and mental health. As several young people stated during the research, ‘Classical music has the power to connect people.'”
Despite the many benefits, participants also faced some challenges in their musical journey. For instance, learning to play an instrument in an ensemble setting required adapting to new techniques and styles, which some participants found difficult.
Frustration and feelings of inadequacy were prevalent among the young musicians. They often compared their performance to their peers and the ensemble’s standards, leading to moments of self-doubt. Managing these emotions was a significant part of their learning process.
Balancing individual practice with ensemble playing posed social challenges. Participants had to navigate group dynamics, sometimes feeling restricted by the need to coordinate with others. However, these experiences also taught them valuable lessons in cooperation and compromise.
“I was particularly surprised by the impact of the pedagogical model and practices adopted in the study,” Bussu said. “Unlike the traditional one-to-one teacher-student approach, the collaborative ensemble learning environment made a significant difference. The findings revealed that learning in a group setting, combined with peer mentoring across different ages, was extremely effective in fostering community building and enhancing both self-efficacy and socioemotional skills.”
“This approach not only supported the development of life skills but also demonstrated that peer interactions can significantly contribute to the overall growth of both mentors and mentees. Moreover, learning music in an ensemble, even though it has sometimes been challenging and involved difficulties in the learning process, has allowed young people with diverse learning and interpersonal needs to feel as included and valued as everyone else.”
The findings of this study have important implications for music education programs. They suggest that incorporating ensemble activities can significantly enhance the holistic development of young musicians. By fostering cognitive, emotional, and social-relational skills, ensemble participation prepares adolescents for various life demands.
The findings of this study have important implications for music education programs. They suggest that incorporating ensemble activities can significantly enhance the holistic development of young musicians. By fostering cognitive, emotional, and social-relational skills, ensemble participation prepares adolescents for various life demands.
“An important caveat pertains to the accessibility of classical music among young people,” Bussu noted. “It is crucial to explore methods for making it more popular and inclusive, rather than elitist. The goal is to broaden the accessibility of classical music and shift its image from one of exclusivity to one of inclusivity, ensuring that young people from all backgrounds have the opportunity to engage with and benefit from it. Implementing projects to promote learning classical music in ensembles, evaluating their impact, and developing new strategies to integrate it into cultural and educational contexts are essential steps in addressing this issue.”
“We are writing a new article from the perspective of community members such as family members, school teachers, and music tutors,” she added. “Exploring their perspective is fundamental, as they play a crucial role in promoting and facilitating the learning of classical music among young musicians. Additionally, we want to investigate whether certain pedagogical models and practices are more effective than others for ensemble music learning.”
The study, “(https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0306326) Playing music together: Exploring the impact of a classical music ensemble on adolescent’s life skills self-perception,” was authored by Anna Bussu and Marta Mangiarulo.

(https://www.psypost.org/scientists-uncover-a-fundamental-aspect-of-time-perception/) Scientists uncover a fundamental aspect of time perception
Aug 7th 2024, 12:00

We often think our brains tick away time in perfect synchronization with the clocks on our walls and electronic devices. However, groundbreaking research published in the journal (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2024.05.045) Current Biology provides evidence that our perception of time is not governed by an internal clock but by the number of experiences we have. This study found that changes in brain activity patterns, specifically in the anterior cingulate cortex, indicate that our brains track the passage of time based on the accumulation of experiences rather than a steady internal clock.
Time perception is a fundamental aspect of human experience, yet its underlying neural mechanisms remain largely mysterious. Scientists have long debated whether our brains use an internal clock or a different method to track time. The anterior cingulate cortex is known to support decision-making, memory, and behavioral flexibility, all of which require the integration of information over time.
“My work has long been centered on how networks of neurons change, either in response to stimuli, actions, outcomes, or contexts. For this project we were actually interested in how reward expectancy changes when the likelihood of reward changes, and we found some interesting results that lead to a novel instantiation of reward prediction error ((https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2017.06.021) Hyman et al., 2017 – Neuron). A student and I started to examine how networks of neurons react during this task and we found a persistent change that occurred outside of changes in reward likelihood,” said study author James M. Hyman, an associate professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
“Time perception is one of the holy grail neuroscience topics. It’s one of those things we all experience changing on a daily basis in our lives, but the neural underpinnings of this psychological phenomenon are unknown. We didn’t set out to study time perception for this study, but the data revealed that networks changed slowly over the session. Each network from different animals changed in the same way and at the same rate. This led us to the conclusion that time processing was involved.”
The researchers conducted their study using five male Long-Evans rats, which were individually housed and food-restricted to 90 percent of their free-feeding weight. The rats were surgically implanted with micro-drives to record neural activity from the anterior cingulate cortex. After recovering from surgery, the rats performed a decision-free task in which they nose-poked into one of three ports to receive a reward. The ports had different reward probabilities, and the reward probabilities were reversed halfway through each session. This design ensured that the task was optimal for examining changes in neural activity without the influence of decision-making or varying reward rates.
During the experiments, the rats completed the trials at their own pace, leading to variations in how long it took each rat to complete all the trials. The researchers recorded the rats’ neural activity during the trials and analyzed the data using advanced techniques to identify patterns in the activity of neural ensembles (groups of neurons working together).
The study revealed that the anterior cingulate cortex ensembles exhibited a slow, drifting pattern of neural activity over the course of the task. This drift was strongly correlated with the number of trials the rats completed, not the actual time that had passed. This finding suggests that the anterior cingulate cortex tracks time by counting experiences rather than using an internal clock.
“With this data set we were able to ask whether time was being tracked by an internal clock or a counter, since animals completed trials at different paces,” Hyman told PsyPost. “We found that the network change correlated with the number of trials, hence a counter not a clock. We could then go to the flip side and ask, ok, if it’s a counter well then what would the time prediction be for different events and we found that fluctuated between animals. Animals that worked fast, their networks moved faster, animals that worked more slowly, had networks that changed more slowly.”
“Since the mechanism we found in rat anterior cingulate cortex networks was so basic, we have every reason to believe similar changes are occuring in the primate brain,” Hyman continued. The findings indicate that “mental time perception is affected by our activities and our experiences. This can be leveraged to control our perception of time. If something is unpleasant and you want to move past it, say a bad meal, then I’d suggest engaging in vigorous activity. Go for a walk, play a game, read a book, do something to move your neural networks ‘forward’ so to speak. This will make the bad meal further away.”
“On the flip side, if something is really pleasant, then linger in that space. Don’t change anything for a while. Don’t start a new activity. Just sit and enjoy. This is not revolutionary advice, but now that we know that the neural networks that we think are responsible for our perception of time on behavioral scales (tens of minutes to hours) work in this way, the advice carries more weight.”
Further analysis showed that this drift was consistent across different rats and sessions. The researchers used mathematical models to predict trial numbers and times based on neural activity and found that their predictions were highly accurate when based on the number of trials rather than clock time.
“A thing that surprised us was the consistency of these effects, animal to animal, brain to brain,” Hyman said. “We were able to create pretty simple data models based on one animal’s neural activity and predict what trial number a different animal was completing just based on its network activity. This is quite rare, since each brain is different and certainly the neurons we randomly encounter with our recordings are different each session. Since we utilized how networks changed and not what networks did, we were able to predict from brain to brain.”
While this study provides compelling evidence that our brains track time based on experiences, it also has limitations. The task used in the study was decision-free, meaning the rats did not choose which port to nose-poke. This passive aspect might have influenced the anterior cingulate cortex’s neural dynamics differently than in a task involving active decision-making. Future research should explore how active tasks affect neural representations of time.
Another limitation is that the study was conducted on rats, and while their brain structures are similar to humans, there are differences. Additionally, the study focused on a relatively short period (tens of minutes). It remains to be seen how neural representations of time operate over longer durations, such as hours or days. Future studies should investigate whether the same mechanisms apply to these longer timescales.
Lastly, while the researchers identified a general trend of neural drift correlating with experiences, the specific contributions of individual neurons and how they combine to form ensemble dynamics require further exploration. Understanding these complex interactions will be crucial for fully grasping how our brains perceive time.
“A major caveat is that how these results relate to the psychological phenomenon of time passing is really speculative, since we couldn’t ask the rats how much time they thought had passed,” Hyman noted. “Even then, a rat’s ability to accurately monitor time passing on a clock is gonna be different from our own, since we consistently see clocks all day and can calibrate our own internal understanding.”
“This likely differs greatly individual to individual and also, task to task for those individuals. It’s fascinating to think about how our modern world with the ubiquity of clocks is altering and helping us all refine our internal models of time passing. However, all the data we have still suggests that these internal models are based upon the accumulation of experiences or events.”
The findings of this study have important implications for our understanding of time perception and its neural basis. By demonstrating that experiences, not an internal clock, drive our perception of time, this research challenges long-standing assumptions and opens new avenues for investigating temporal processing in the brain.
“Problems with temporal perception are often found in neurodegenerative and psychiatric disorders, and these effects can lead to serious handicaps in communication with others and cognitive errors that lead to mistakes/failures at work,” Hyman explained. “These things can lead to negative consequences in personal and professional life which can lead to bad outcomes, adding to depression and hopelessness. We hope to understand this cognitive process so that one day,we will be able to identify strategies, interventions, or treatments that can help people with such disorders. First, we must understand how the brain creates psychological phenomena before we can successfully alter such phenomena to help people.”
The study, “(https://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(24)00688-2) Temporal information in the anterior cingulate cortex relates to accumulated experiences,” was authored by Ryan A. Wirt, Talha K. Soluoku, Ryan M. Ricci, Jeremy K. Seamans, and James M. Hyman.

(https://www.psypost.org/stress-triggers-different-brain-responses-in-women-and-men-with-alcohol-use-disorder/) Stress triggers different brain responses in women and men with alcohol use disorder
Aug 7th 2024, 08:00

Stress and alcohol use disorder often walk hand in hand, both affecting the brain’s neural circuits in complex ways. A recent study published in (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acer.15301) Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research reveals how sudden social stress affects anxiety and brain activity in people with alcohol use disorder, with notable differences between men and women.
Alcohol use disorder (AUD) is a chronic condition characterized by an inability to control drinking despite negative consequences. People with AUD often experience a strong craving for alcohol, loss of control over drinking, and withdrawal symptoms when they stop drinking. This disorder affects millions of individuals worldwide, leading to significant health, social, and economic problems.
In the United States alone, approximately 30 million adults are affected by AUD. The disorder can lead to serious health issues, including liver disease, cardiovascular problems, and mental health disorders like depression and anxiety.
“Stress is a major cause of relapse in people with an alcohol use disorder and is a common motivator for alcohol consumption. Women have higher rates of stress-related psychopathology and show a heightened stress response,” said study author Erica N. Grodin, an adjunct assistant professor at the University of California, Los Angeles and member of the (https://addictions.psych.ucla.edu/) UCLA Addictions Lab.
“Alcohol use disorder and stress have common underlying neurocircuitry. Previous literature has been mixed regarding sex differences in response to acute stress and this topic had not been previously investigated in a sample of people with an alcohol use disorder. Therefore, we wanted to find out if men and women with an alcohol use disorder had differences in their subjective and neural responses to an acute stressor.”
The study involved individuals seeking treatment for moderate-to-severe alcohol use disorder, aged between 18 and 65. Participants were part of a larger clinical trial testing a neuroimmune medication, and they were required to meet specific criteria, such as consuming a minimum number of alcoholic beverages weekly and being free from other substance use disorders or severe psychiatric conditions. A total of 25 participants, including 15 men and 10 women, completed the study.
To evaluate the impact of acute social-evaluative stress, the researchers used the Montreal Imaging Stress Task (MIST). This task involved solving mental arithmetic problems under conditions designed to induce stress, such as tight time limits and negative social feedback.
During the task, participants underwent functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scans to measure brain activity. The study also included control conditions with similar arithmetic problems but without the stress-inducing elements. Participants’ anxiety and distress levels were assessed before and after the task using standardized questionnaires.
The researchers found that acute social-evaluative stress significantly increased anxiety levels in participants with alcohol use disorder. However, the increase in distress levels was not statistically significant, though there was a noticeable rise post-stress. This suggests that the stress task effectively elevated participants’ anxiety, providing a robust measure of their stress response.
The fMRI results revealed that the stress task activated several brain regions associated with stress, including the amygdala, thalamus, ventral tegmental area, and various cortical areas. There was a trend-level increase in amygdala activation during the stress condition compared to the control condition, indicating a stress response in this brain region.
The study also uncovered significant sex differences in stress responses. Women exhibited higher baseline anxiety and greater amygdala activation following the stress task compared to men. While men’s anxiety levels significantly increased after the stress task, women’s anxiety did not show a significant rise, possibly due to their higher baseline levels. Additionally, women showed increased activation in brain regions involved in affective regulation and self-referential processing, which may help them manage stress more effectively.
“Stress and negative emotionality are important motivators for alcohol use, particularly for women,” Grodin told PsyPost. “We found that even before undergoing stress, women had higher ratings of anxiety and distress than men and that women had a greater neural response to stress in the amygdala, an important brain region for stress processing compared to men. These results suggest that women may be at greater risk for stress-related alcohol use due to a heightened biological response to stress, indicated by their higher neural response to the acute stressor.”
Future research should include larger sample sizes and control groups without AUD to validate these preliminary findings. Incorporating biological measures of stress also could provide deeper insights into the mechanisms underlying stress responses in AUD. By understanding these nuances, researchers and clinicians can develop more targeted and effective treatments for individuals struggling with alcohol use disorder.
“We would like to extend upon this work in several areas,” Grodin explained. “First, we are currently investigating how acute stress impacts cognitive flexibility in a sample of individuals with and without an alcohol use disorder. This study will allow us to examine if undergoing acute stress has a greater negative impact on cognition in people with an alcohol use disorder compared to those without. We will also be examining sex differences in this work. In the future, we would like to incorporate additional hormonal assessments, including menstrual cycle, to further probe the underlying biology of these sex differences.”
The study, “(https://doi.org/10.1111/acer.15301) Sex differences in neural response to an acute stressor in individuals with an alcohol use disorder,” was authored by Erica N. Grodin, Dylan Kirsch, Malia Belnap, and Lara A. Ray.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed