Your Daily digest for PsyPost – Psychology News Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Fri Aug 2 07:31:43 PDT 2024

PsyPost – Psychology News Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://www.psypost.org/genetic-risk-for-neuroticism-increases-the-risk-of-alzheimers-disease/) Genetic risk for neuroticism increases the risk of Alzheimer’s disease
Aug 2nd 2024, 10:00

Could your personality influence your risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease? An analysis of UK Biobank data showed that individuals with amnestic mild cognitive impairment who also have high genetic risk for neuroticism are more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers used genetic data to calculate a neuroticism risk score and found that individuals with higher scores were more prone to developing Alzheimer’s. The paper was published in (https://doi.org/10.1002/hbm.26709) Human Brain Mapping.
Amnestic mild cognitive impairment is a condition characterized by noticeable memory problems that are more severe than typical age-related changes but not severe enough to interfere significantly with daily life. Individuals with this disorder have difficulty remembering recent events, conversations, or appointments, while other cognitive functions remain largely intact.
Amnestic mild cognitive impairment is considered a transitional stage between normal cognitive aging and Alzheimer’s disease. People with this impairment are at a higher risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias, but not all will develop Alzheimer’s or dementia.
Alzheimer’s disease, on the other hand is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder characterized by the buildup of specific proteins in the brain, leading to the death of brain cells and the subsequent decline in cognitive abilities. As the disease advances, individuals become increasingly dependent on others for daily care, ultimately leading to severe impairment and loss of independence.
It remains insufficiently clear why amnestic mild cognitive impairment develops into Alzheimer’s disease in some individuals but not in others. Among various factors, researchers have suggested that neuroticism, a personality trait, can help predict Alzheimer’s development. Genetic studies indicate that neuroticism is 41% to 48% heritable, highlighting its strong genetic basis.
Study author Qiaojun Li and his colleagues wanted to explore whether the genetic risk of neuroticism a person has can be used to predict whether amnestic mild cognitive impairment will develop into Alzheimer’s disease or not. They calculated the neuroticism polygenic risk scores for individuals with amnestic mild cognitive impairment and observed how many of those with low and how many of those with high values of this score will develop Alzheimer’s.
A neuroticism polygenic risk score estimates an individual’s genetic predisposition to neuroticism based on the cumulative effect of multiple genetic variants associated with this personality trait. Neuroticism is characterized by a tendency to experience negative emotions such as anxiety, depression, and irritability, and a greater susceptibility to stress.
The researchers first used data from two genome-wide association studies to develop two neuroticism polygenic risk scores. The first score was based on the results of a UK Biobank study involving 372,903 individuals. The second score was based on data from the Genetics of Personality Consortium involving 73,447 participants.
The researchers applied these scores to data from individuals with amnestic mild cognitive impairment in both the Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative and the UK Biobank. Using data from 278 individuals from the Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative and 933 from the UK Biobank, they tested how well their neuroticism polygenic risk scores predicted the development of Alzheimer’s one year and ten years after the study began.
Results from the Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative showed that neuroticism polygenic risk scores were higher among individuals who developed Alzheimer’s disease after one year, but not after ten years. When participants were divided into high- and low-risk groups, one year after the start of the study, 21% of people in the high-risk group developed Alzheimer’s compared to 11% in the low-risk group. However, after ten years, the differences between the two groups in terms of the proportion of those with Alzheimer’s became too small to be differentiated from random variations.
Similarly, in the UK Biobank data, individuals with amnestic mild cognitive impairment who developed Alzheimer’s also had higher neuroticism polygenic risk scores compared to those who did not develop the condition.
The study sheds light on the links between genes responsible for neuroticism and the development of Alzheimer’s. However, it should be noted that the neuroticism polygenic risk score is not the same as the personality trait of neuroticism and was generally useful only in predicting the development of Alzheimer’s at an earlier stage, but not ten years later.
Further research is needed to refine these predictive tools and to explore the gene-environment interactions that may influence the progression of amnestic mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer’s. Understanding these mechanisms could lead to more targeted interventions and better outcomes for those at risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
The paper, “(https://doi.org/10.1002/hbm.26709) Neuroticism polygenic risk predicts conversion from mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer’s disease by impairing inferior parietal surface area,” was authored by Qiaojun Li, Xingping Lv, Qian Qian, Kun Liao, and Xin Du.

(https://www.psypost.org/the-secret-weapon-of-champions-mastering-cognitive-expertise-in-sports/) The secret weapon of champions: Mastering cognitive expertise in sports
Aug 2nd 2024, 08:00

“Look for the gap!” “Move into space!” “Who’s free?”
Sound familiar?
>From the sidelines to the field, court or pitch, no matter the team sport, looking for relevant information in the playing environment can be as important as any other skill if you want to score … and hopefully win the game.
Think Lionel Messi, Scott Pendlebury, or Natalie Medhurst, coolly assessing all the options before making pivotal decisions.
How do these elite athletes become so great? As well as their physical attributes, their brain power is an obvious asset.
Cognitive power in sport
Regardless of whether an athlete is playing under-5’s soccer, backyard cricket or Olympic basketball, their playing environment holds important information that must be found, interpreted and then acted on.
As the athlete becomes more experienced with repeated game play, they become used to exploring the environment and the likely outcomes for different choices – such as in soccer, deciding on a long kick or a short pass.
This is how motor (movement) and cognitive expertise develops and can increase tactical and strategic options and (https://research.stmarys.ac.uk/id/eprint/3947/) solutions.
Cognitive expertise refers to factors such as decision-making, attention and perception, which are essential for skilled performance.
A key part of making decisions in sport, particularly fast-paced sports, is knowing where to look to find the most useful information around you. In other words, where you should direct your attention, particularly visual attention.
Research tends to find skilled players are better at looking for and seeing the options and what’s happening around them in the playing (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0031512519900057?casa_token=htJFtRAbm5IAAAAA%3AcG57yOl4LOKSyla8SxwE5gRx7eO97wj0jd1ygXXc0wHZX0IyIV0sEZI6MnYk3J2eqjwjXWKvCA) environment.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3200/JMBR.39.5.395-408?casa_token=byhRfk_5-AsAAAAA:-eGMsyD9QfLX3TwLkPtXTw186ov52OK725m4IhoRb35kwlXy1U-KZ2vdy-Nhv2OMdM3ubbdDiw) For example, skilled players tend to have a wider focus of attention (when needed) – this means they look both at an opponent and where they can move to next.
Less skilled players, on the other hand, tend to have a narrower focus of attention. They might watch only one detail (such as the ball) but not what is happening around them.
An eye-tracking activity with soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo showcases this well:
Scientists have used eye-tracking technology on soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo.

Skilled players are also often faster to make decisions compared to less skilled players; their experiences create more stored memories that help speed up their (https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/sports-and-active-living/articles/10.3389/fspor.2022.899217/full) decision–(https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13428-013-0359-5) making.
In essence, skilled players know what information is the most relevant to focus on and they act on it quickly.
Training the brain
Many in high performance environments acknowledge that we are (https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/01/using-your-head-neuroscience-is-fast-becoming-football-gamechanger) near our physical limit with current practices.
Despite this, many coaches and athletes focus on the physical aspects of preparation such as speed, endurance and strength.
This focus is understandable – concentrating on physical aspects might work for sports that are driven largely by factors such as physical capacity and less by specific skills.
For sports like soccer, Australian rules football, hockey and basketball however, where complex thinking skills are needed, this approach is (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00426-020-01320-5) limited.
To put it simply: being able to move quickly and powerfully is helpful. But if you’re running to the wrong spot, or kicking to a teammate in a bad position (overlooking a much better option), this lack of cognitive skill can limit success.
And there is more we can do with cognitive processes as our understanding continues to grow.
New research shows the importance of brain power
A recent (https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/psychology/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2024.1356160/full) study from Western Sydney University looked at Australian rules football players aged 14-18, and the skills they need to play at higher levels.
The researchers wanted to explore how junior players look around the field and make passing decisions, and if these behaviours stay the same over time (18 months, to be exact).
They found, similar to adult athletes, there are distinct differences for visual behaviours and decision-making abilities between skilled and less skilled juniors.
The more skilled players were more accurate in their decision-making and visual search behaviours, focusing on the most relevant game play information such as free players or space to move into.
Processing information under pressure is also key to skilled performance, with research showing physical fatigue affects (https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/fulltext/2021/07000/effects_of_a_rugby_league_match_simulation_on.24.aspx?casa_token=5tiu2iWnFeAAAAAA:9dq5NRgTa952WG_TPiBX3zjY12B0nDL-IVwE-aEzLcuvVQ3In9rRgQHpgTMmDQkbjWvZoPtDpwkikbRMAQP7QNJnSQ) decision-making, often leading to errors in decisions that can be costly.
For coaches, it is particularly important to consider cognition and fatigue in training – simulating game-like pressure is useful for players to get used to the types of pressures they will experience in competition.
Adding to this picture is (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1469029224000980?casa_token=GwAz3rIv8h0AAAAA:Uu11SVxT_tlnV4R_Ka14wxchcoDujcnaIH1h5yBlFkSvnawNXuAylA-mPYLzn7sgJrirnGE) new research that explores the negative impact of mental fatigue on physical performance. This work showed our ability to exercise can be impaired after activities requiring long periods of thinking and mental effort, particularly when these activities are boring.
This research is unique, as it considers the impact of using the brain so much that it makes you physically tired (often, we view fatigue from the perspective of how physical fatigue effects thinking).
This may be particularly relevant for coaches of young players transitioning from the school day to training, especially if the day’s lessons have been complex.
Coaches should therefore consider the amount of information they provide athletes and the complexity of the tasks and instructions.
Striking the right balance at training
Overall, cognitive skills, like physical attributes, are key to high performance and even play a role in identifying future potential.
Developing talent in sports is a key focus for many sports clubs but the process relies mostly on testing physical and physiological aspects.
The research conducted at Western Sydney University showed cognition could be a reliable marker of ability over time and provide some basis for prediction of talent.
If so, the methods used or similar approaches could be included in talent identification protocols.

This article is republished from (https://theconversation.com) The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the (https://theconversation.com/faster-stronger-smarter-new-research-shows-the-importance-of-brain-training-for-junior-athletes-232981) original article.

(https://www.psypost.org/cbd-shows-promise-in-reducing-ptsd-symptoms-by-targeting-brain-inflammation/) CBD shows promise in reducing PTSD symptoms by targeting brain inflammation
Aug 2nd 2024, 06:00

In a new study published in (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2024.05.016) Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, researchers have found that cannabidiol, a compound derived from cannabis, can significantly reduce symptoms resembling post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in mice. This effect hinges on cannabidiol’s ability to curb neuroinflammation through its interaction with specific receptors in the brain, known as CB2 receptors. These findings offer promising avenues for new PTSD treatments and underscore the potential of targeting the brain’s immune response to manage psychiatric disorders.
PTSD is a severe mental health condition triggered by traumatic events such as war, natural disasters, and personal assaults. It affects millions of people worldwide and can lead to debilitating symptoms like flashbacks, anxiety, and depression. Current treatments, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like sertraline and paroxetine, often fail to provide sufficient relief for many patients. Given the need for more effective therapies, researchers have been exploring the role of neuroinflammation in PTSD and how it might be targeted to alleviate symptoms.
Recent studies suggested that CBD, a non-psychoactive component of Cannabis sativa, has potential therapeutic effects on PTSD, possibly through its interaction with the endocannabinoid system. However, the exact mechanisms, particularly its impact on neuroinflammation, remained unclear.
To understand how CBD might help alleviate symptoms of PTSD, the researchers conducted experiments on mice, using a series of stress-inducing procedures to create a state that mimics PTSD in humans. These procedures included placing the mice in confined spaces, making them swim in water, exposing them to an anesthetic, and giving them mild electric shocks. This combination of stressful experiences was designed to trigger behaviors and brain changes similar to those seen in people with PTSD.
After inducing PTSD-like symptoms in the mice, the researchers divided them into different groups to test the effects of CBD. They administered CBD in three different doses to some of the mice (3, 10, and 30 mg/kg), while others received sertraline, a common medication used to treat PTSD in humans. Another group of mice was given a placebo treatment for comparison. The researchers then observed the behavior of these mice through a series of tests that measured their fear responses, anxiety levels, memory, and depression-like behaviors.
The mice that were treated with CBD showed significant improvements in their behavior. For instance, they spent less time frozen in fear when placed in a familiar environment where they had previously received shocks. This indicated a reduction in fear and anxiety. They also spent more time exploring open areas in a maze, suggesting they felt less anxious. Additionally, the CBD-treated mice performed better in memory tests and showed fewer signs of depression, such as reduced immobility when suspended by their tails.
Beyond observing behavioral changes, the researchers examined the brains of the mice to understand how CBD was affecting them on a cellular level. They discovered that the stress procedures had increased the number of immune cells in the brain, specifically microglia and macrophages, which are typically involved in inflammatory responses.
These immune cells had changed in ways that indicated prolonged inflammation in the brains of the stressed mice. However, treatment with CBD did not reduce the number of these cells but instead restored them to a less reactive state, indicating that CBD was effectively reducing brain inflammation by altering the activity of these cells.
Moreover, the researchers found that CBD influenced the levels of certain molecules associated with inflammation. In the stressed mice, there was an increase in molecules that promote inflammation, such as tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-1 beta, and CD32. CBD treatment reduced these levels. Conversely, CBD increased the levels of molecules that help reduce inflammation and promote healing, such as CD206 and chitinase-like proteins. These changes were particularly notable in the hippocampus, a brain region involved in emotion and memory regulation.
A particularly significant finding was the role of a specific type of receptor in the brain, known as cannabinoid type 2 receptors (CB2 receptors). These receptors are part of the endocannabinoid system, which plays a key role in regulating immune responses and inflammation.
The researchers found that CBD’s beneficial effects were linked to its action on these CB2 receptors. They discovered that stressed mice had altered levels of CB2 receptors, but treatment with CBD increased these levels. This increase in CB2 receptors was associated with reduced inflammation and improved behavioral outcomes in the mice.
To further investigate this, the researchers used a CB2 receptor antagonist to block these receptors in some mice before administering CBD. They found that when the CB2 receptors were blocked, the positive effects of CBD on reducing PTSD-like symptoms and brain inflammation were significantly diminished. This demonstrated that the CB2 receptors play a crucial role in mediating the anti-inflammatory and therapeutic effects of CBD.
While these findings are promising, it is important to note that this study was conducted in mice. Animal models, although valuable, do not fully replicate human PTSD, and results may not directly translate to human patients. Further research is needed to confirm these effects in humans and to understand the long-term safety and efficacy of CBD for PTSD treatment.
The study, “(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0889159124004045) Cannabidiol ameliorates PTSD-like symptoms by inhibiting neuroinflammation through its action on CB2 receptors in the brain of male mice,” was conducted by Guanbo Xie, Xinwei Gao, Qingchun Guo, Haizhen Liang, Lan Yao, Wenjuan Li, Baiping Ma, Ning Wu, Xiao Han, and Jin Li.

(https://www.psypost.org/new-psychology-research-links-art-to-a-more-meaningful-life/) New psychology research links art to a more meaningful life
Aug 1st 2024, 14:00

Art can stir emotions, inspire awe, and sometimes even feel otherworldly. A recent study published in (https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760.2024.2378709) The Journal of Positive Psychology reveals that the way people engage with art is associated with their sense of meaning in life. Specifically, experiencing high levels of awe or interest in art, or attributing supernatural qualities to art, correlates with higher levels of life meaning. This suggests that fostering these types of artistic experiences might be related to enhanced feelings of purpose, coherence, and significance in life.
Artists channel their deepest emotions and ideas through their work, while audiences engage with these creations, often experiencing profound connections and insights. Given this deep-rooted relationship between art and human experience, the researchers sought to understand how different psychological experiences with art—such as interest, awe, and supernatural attributions—might influence an individual’s sense of meaning in life.
Another key motivation for the study was the concept of Aesthetic Cognitivism, which posits that art is valuable not only for its aesthetic pleasure but also for its cognitive contributions. This philosophical stance suggests that art can provide new knowledge and insights, helping people understand themselves, others, and the world around them.
Previous research has indicated that engaging with art can lead to meaningful experiences, yet there has been limited empirical evidence to support the theoretical claims of Aesthetic Cognitivism. The researchers aimed to fill this gap by empirically testing whether specific experiences with art are associated with higher levels of meaning in life.
“I am broadly interested in studying meaning in life, including the factors that contribute to people’s perceptions of living lives imbued with purpose and meaning,” said study author Joshua A. Wilt, a senior research associate at Case Western Reserve University and principal investigator of the (https://www.art-experiences.org/) Art Experiences Project.
“I’m also interested in how involvement with art may result in deeper existential and spiritual understandings. It seemed that the logic underlying the overarching hypothesis of this project was a merging of those interests: If art can lead to increased understandings, perhaps specific experiences with art would relate to higher levels of meaning in life.”
To explore how various psychological experiences with art relate to a sense of meaning in life, the researchers conducted two studies.
Study 1 consisted of three distinct samples, each with 100 participants: undergraduates with some art experience, adults interested in art, and individuals affiliated with art schools, university arts departments, or community arts organizations. Each participant completed an online survey designed to measure their levels of interest in art, experiences of awe related to art, and supernatural attributions about art experiences.
Additionally, the survey assessed aesthetic fluency (knowledge about art) and religious belief salience (the importance of religious beliefs in a person’s daily life), which could influence the primary relationships being studied. The survey also included the Multidimensional Existential Meaning Scale to measure participants’ overall sense of meaning in life, including subscales for comprehension, purpose, and existential mattering.
Study 2 expanded on the first study by recruiting a larger and more diverse online sample of 1,862 participants. This sample included individuals with varying levels of art experience, from those with professional training to those with little to no formal art background. The recruitment aimed to ensure a wide variation in art training and experiences. Like Study 1, participants completed an online survey measuring the same variables.
Study 1 findings indicated that experiencing awe in response to art consistently showed a positive relationship with higher levels of life meaning. This was especially true in groups with extensive art backgrounds, such as those affiliated with art schools or university arts departments.
“I was surprised that awe emerged as a much stronger predictor of meaning in the sample of artists with high levels of formal training as compared to the other samples in Study 1,” Wilt told PsyPost.
Interest in art and supernatural attributions also correlated with higher levels of life meaning, but these relationships were less consistent when controlling for other factors like aesthetic fluency and religious belief salience.
In the undergraduate sample, which had lower overall art training, the associations were weaker. In contrast, the adults interested in art and the sample from art institutions showed stronger correlations, suggesting that the variation in art expertise within these groups made the psychological experiences with art more significant for their sense of meaning in life.
Study 2 replicated and extended these findings with a much larger and more diverse sample. The broader variation in art experience in this sample allowed for a more detailed analysis. The results confirmed that awe around art was a robust predictor of life meaning. This relationship held true even when accounting for other variables. Interest in art and supernatural attributions also showed positive associations with life meaning, supporting the findings from Study 1.
The consistent pattern across both studies suggests that art experiences associated with awe, interest, and supernatural attributions are important factors in how people derive meaning in life. These associations were particularly strong in samples with art training, indicating that the significance of these experiences might be influenced by an individual’s engagement and expertise in art.
“The way in which a person engages with art could potentially have benefits for meaning in life,” Wilt said. “Specifically, feeling high levels of awe or interest in art, or perceiving that something supernatural is at play when interacting with art, could be associated with higher levels of meaning in life. Perhaps cultivating those types of experiences could lead to the sense that one’s life has more purpose, makes more sense, or matters more.”
The study’s correlational design means that we cannot infer causality from the associations observed between art engagement and life meaning. Future research could employ longitudinal or experimental designs to better establish causality and directionality of these relationships. “We don’t know if experiences with art cause higher levels of meaning in life, though there are strong associations between these variables,” Wilt noted.
“I’d like to continue expanding the model to include other variables relevant to experiences with art, and I’d like to test causal and temporal associations through experimental and longitudinal studies, respectively,” he added. “Ultimately, I think that this is a starting point for understanding how involvement with art may contribute to more meaningful lives, which could be practically significant, and maybe particularly so in clinical/counseling contexts.”
The study, “(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17439760.2024.2378709) Engagement with art and meaning in life: the predictive roles of awe, interest, supernatural attributions,” was authored by Joshua A. Wilt, Julie J. Exline, Aleksandra Sherman, and Rebecca J. Schlegel.

(https://www.psypost.org/loneliness-has-as-strange-relationship-with-trust-new-research-shows/) Loneliness has as strange relationship with trust, new research shows
Aug 1st 2024, 12:00

A set of three studies showed that lonely individuals tend to trust others more, but expect those others to be less trustworthy. The situation was reversed in extraverted individuals, who also tended to be less lonely. The research was published in the (https://doi.org/10.1111/bjop.12713) British Journal of Psychology.
Loneliness is a distressing emotional state that develops when a person perceives a gap between the social connections they desire and their actual social connections. Being lonely does not necessarily mean a person is alone; one can feel lonely while being surrounded by other people. The key aspect of loneliness is the feeling of being isolated and disconnected from the people one wishes to be connected with.
Loneliness can be experienced temporarily due to specific circumstances or persist as a chronic issue. Chronic loneliness can adversely affect mental and physical health. Research has linked chronic loneliness to increased risks of depression, anxiety, cardiovascular diseases, and weakened immune function. Various factors, such as social skills, relationship quality, and life transitions like moving or bereavement, can contribute to feelings of loneliness.
Additionally, a person who feels lonely may reduce their social activities and become reluctant to form new relationships. This can create a vicious cycle, further isolating the individual and exacerbating feelings of loneliness and depression.
Study authors Gabriele Bellucci and Soyoung Q. Park wanted to investigate the effects feelings of loneliness might have on trusting behaviors and expectations about the trustworthiness of others. They reasoned that if loneliness fosters behaviors that help establish social relationships and bonds (as these might reduce or eliminate loneliness), lonely individuals should display higher levels of trust towards others. On the other hand, if loneliness induces a negativity bias (making withdrawal from social situations potentially easier), they should have low expectations about the trustworthiness of others. They conducted three studies.
The goal of the first study was to establish whether lonely individuals really expect others to be less trustworthy. Study participants were 209 young people, with an average age of 23 years; 163 were female. Participants played an economic game in which they decided how much money to give to their partner. The amount they gave to the partner was tripled, and the partner then decided whether to give anything back to the first person and how much. Although they did not know this, participants were always in the role of the first partner, deciding whether to share the initial amount. They were also told that any amount they had at the end of the game would be converted to real money and given to them.
After this, they played another game in which they simply decided whether they wanted to share the initial amount of money with a second player, allowing researchers to determine how much participants’ behavior was guided by trust versus other factors, such as generosity. Additionally, study participants completed assessments of loneliness (the UCLA Loneliness Scale), happiness, self-esteem, momentary feelings of loneliness, and the need to belong.
The second study used the same economic games, but participants also completed an assessment of personality (the Big Five Inventory). Study participants were 159 young people. The goal was to see whether the personality traits of extroversion and agreeableness changed the nature of the link between loneliness and participants’ expectations about the trustworthiness of others.
The third study was conducted online using SoSci Survey and Prolific. It included 219 participants. Its goal was to examine whether personality traits moderate the association between loneliness and trusting behaviors.
Results of the first study showed that individuals reporting greater feelings of loneliness tended to both trust others more and have lower expectations about the trustworthiness of others. In other words, lonelier individuals trusted more despite expecting others to be less trustworthy.
Results of the second study indicated that extroverted and more agreeable individuals tended to report feeling less lonely and to expect others to be more trustworthy. When taken together, results showed that individuals who were lonely but also introverted and less agreeable tended to perceive others as even less trustworthy and vice versa.
Lonely individuals had more favorable expectations of others’ trustworthiness the more extroverted and agreeable they were. Individuals with higher neuroticism tended to be lonelier, but this was not associated with expectations about trustworthiness in any way.
Results of the third study showed that extroverted individuals tended to trust their partners less than introverted individuals did, despite having higher expectations about the trustworthiness of the partner.
Overall, females reported lower levels of loneliness than males. Singles, older adults, and people of higher socioeconomic status tended to report higher levels of loneliness.
“Using economic games and Bayesian predictive models, we showed that higher levels of loneliness predicted a greater mismatch between social expectations and behaviors, with lonelier individuals trusting more despite more negative expectations of their partner’s trustworthiness. These effects were moderated by personality traits associated with a more positive outlook on social interactions like extraversion. Notably, the effects of loneliness on trusting behaviors and expectations of others’ trustworthiness were particularly strong for individuals with lower levels of extraversion,” the study authors concluded.
The study sheds light on the links between loneliness and trust in others. However, the presented studies used economic games involving relatively small amounts of money, and there was no interpersonal contact or relationship between partners in the games played. Results might not be identical if the amounts of money involved were substantial and the participants played with real individuals with whom they could communicate or whom they knew.
The study, “(https://doi.org/10.1111/bjop.12713) Loneliness is associated with more trust but worse trustworthiness expectations,” was authored by Gabriele Bellucci and Soyoung Q. Park.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed