Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Sun Oct 15 12:53:57 PDT 2023

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s41155-023-00269-9/) Effect of cognitive retraining treatment in mild to moderate depressive disorders
Oct 15th 2023, 15:33

(https://prc.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s41155-023-00269-9) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s41155-023-00269-9/) Effect of cognitive retraining treatment in mild to moderate depressive disorders was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/tempe-to-change-citys-anti-discrimination-policy-to-help-more-low-income-residents/) Tempe to change city’s anti-discrimination policy to help more low-income residents
Oct 15th 2023, 15:14

Tempe city council has proposed including housing choice vouchers to the city anti-discrimination ordinance
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/tempe-to-change-citys-anti-discrimination-policy-to-help-more-low-income-residents/) Tempe to change city’s anti-discrimination policy to help more low-income residents was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/dq230913b-eng-htm/) Top five highlights from a new report on the health of Canadians, 2023
Oct 15th 2023, 13:39

This release highlights key findings from the Health of Canadians report. While Canadians are living longer and most rate their general health as very good or excellent, many vulnerable groups (e.g., low income) are facing health challenges.
(https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/230913/dq230913b-eng.htm) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/dq230913b-eng-htm/) Top five highlights from a new report on the health of Canadians, <span class="refper">2023</span> was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/14733250231200499/) The meaningfulness of challenging the controlled drinking discourse. An autoethnographic study
Oct 15th 2023, 13:38

Qualitative Social Work, Ahead of Print. Being able to control ones drinking is an expression of attitudes in most western societies towards the act of drinking, and if losing control, one breaks with these attitudes. This is what I call the “controlled drinking discourse.” Loss of control can be understood as any drinking of alcohol which starts a chain of reaction that is felt as a physical and psychological demand for alcohol. This is a description of how I related to alcohol for years until a complete crisis of meaning in my life in 2014. In recovery research, different kinds of “doings” are well documented as meaningful, while meaningful ways of thinking is less explored. Ways of thinking is influenced by available discourses. Through an autoethnographic approach, I explore ways of thinking with use of an analytical framework focusing on the relationship between discourses, narratives, and small stories. I also discuss theories on non-drinking, alcoholism, and recovery. Doing a discursively shift in thinking by accepting that controlled drinking is not possible, is for me a meaningful and self-sustainable way of thinking, which keeps me sober and away from crisis of meaning in my life.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/14733250231200499?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/14733250231200499/) The meaningfulness of challenging the controlled drinking discourse. An autoethnographic study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7261649/) Fortify the Truth: How to Defend Human Rights in an Age of Deepfakes and Generative AI
Oct 15th 2023, 13:38

Abstract
Audiovisual digital media and tools are critical elements in contemporary human rights documentation and advocacy. Generative AI, deepfakes and synthetic media compound questions of what to trust in an existing situation of government suppression, difficulty proving witness accounts and broader societal challenges to trust. There is a need to ‘fortify the truth’ by fostering resilient witnessing practices that can ensure trustworthy videos and strengthen narratives of vulnerable communities. The author identifies and speculates on actions at tactical, strategic, tools, technology, and policy levels, drawing upon human rights organization WITNESS’s work on proactive preparation for emerging technologies and technical infrastructures. Practical steps occur across a trajectory of using images and video in human rights advocacy and activism including filming, storytelling, watching, analysing, sharing, advocacy, and preservation. Guidance on filming must evolve to address deepfakes and opportunities and challenges in ‘authenticity infrastructure’. Narrative video advocacy and formal legal and policy processes must adapt to new technologies including text-to-image and text-to-video, new disinformation threats such as ‘floods of falsehood’ and new presentation opportunities. The evolution of watching, scrutinizing, and sharing videos accountability amid increasing volume and normalized image manipulation includes positive dimensions of the ‘media forensic turn’, including collaborative ‘open-source intelligence’ verification, and negative aspects involving excessive scrutiny. Finally, preserving audiovisual media is critical, and emerging socio-technical infrastructure should be shaped for community control. Underlying principles for ‘fortifying the truth’ include taking a proactive approach, centring voices and needs of people facing human rights abuses, and working with and challenging technologists and technology companies.
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.GTLTCKAFRlV2KclDnYh-nKITizp4hZPt2euVnjhWi7VgyT6-SR6ITAQ0rr6s_9s0QwJJvPji5atHqyyybSrEVC9s2doytLhmmfqtNniBDruLVSQkuBUD3hqt9WRi_9uHvVR2GuN5oh44KBKhuq-XN-w2aV_psEfAfIInGGXw3ae8dHDsxYwiFqOQotOFOQ3b_DwpeRghFVgERy_c9Edy8HiDUvF5pFiR6VAD7Dq9Mffxi59c0_xG6fah3JtRqRCX58lKQ4TDAQJHp-pNh9wNszlE-YBVM9Hwf3FazLWMif6s4zfgyldoTd-lvMph8FL3vNVKmRqUZ5SXyEvHf9p-Mg.ItHHd54lrgv1rw32.3U44VpXnvz5SSUH8MNUWXIsYPSQqbUHpIrh1JaTDoHbIc7Uy8MbkixAm0Ff0oB_kKjQ-dn6O95onaVB9MvzkefDxDWntCTijJ-0u9tsskfiRDkMy1DdBhGxthp1XMENkQe3HlN-X0c0xDODx3oGNzQOkh6D71_ZaTdZUgzdSIuOygr5yuxwSwdTCxMXhL4Cm4RB1W0PIcyCl30jLKAexR6HYEwE.RnRV6UjMBrpLHOHV4PbZgw&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=3f924299-eb3e-4e5b-bda4-59044138d88dredirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjjhrpzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjjhumanzjhuad035zj7261649zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7261649/) Fortify the Truth: How to Defend Human Rights in an Age of Deepfakes and Generative AI was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13698575-2022-2138833/) Perceptions of alcohol health harm among midlife men in England: a qualitative interview study
Oct 15th 2023, 13:09

Volume 25, Issue 5-6, August-November 2023, Page 216-233.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13698575.2022.2138833?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13698575-2022-2138833/) Perceptions of alcohol health harm among midlife men in England: a qualitative interview study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/20413866231197519/) Constructive and destructive leadership in job  demands-resources theory: A meta-analytic test of the motivational and health-impairment pathways
Oct 15th 2023, 12:57

Organizational Psychology Review, Ahead of Print. Integrating the leadership literature with Job Demands-Resources (JD-R) theory, we conducted a pre-registered meta-analysis of the relations of different leadership behaviors with followers’ work engagement and burnout. We found that constructive leadership relates positively to followers’ work engagement (k = 588, [math] =.467) and negatively to followers’ burnout (k = 346, [math] =−.327), whereas destructive leadership relates negatively to followers’ work engagement (k = 72, [math] =−.220) and positively to followers’ burnout (k = 122, [math] =.381). We furthermore demonstrated that both followers’ work engagement and burnout partially mediate the relations of both constructive and destructive leadership with followers’ job performance. However, the indirect relation of constructive leadership with followers’ job performance via followers’ work engagement is clearly the strongest, suggesting that leaders stimulate followers’ job performance primarily because they motivate followers. We discuss how the findings of this theory-driven meta-analysis help to integrate leadership research in JD-R theory and generate important insights for leadership behavior and training.Plain Language SummaryIn organizations, leaders can act constructively or destructively toward followers, and that behavior can substantially influence followers’ wellbeing. In the current meta-analysis, we combine all prior research about the relations of different constructive and destructive leadership behaviors with followers’ work-related wellbeing. Work-related wellbeing was assessed based on how engaged and burned-out followers are at work. Summarizing data from more than 1,000 studies, we find that leaders’ constructive behavior relates positively to their followers’ engagement at work and negatively to their levels of burnout, whereas the opposite holds true for relations of leaders’ destructive behavior. Importantly, followers’ work engagement and burnout can also help to explain the well-established relations between leaders’ behavior and followers’ job performance.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20413866231197519?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/20413866231197519/) Constructive and destructive leadership in job  demands-resources theory: A meta-analytic test of the motivational and health-impairment pathways was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/why-snap-works-a-political-history-and-defense-of-the-food-stamp-program/) Why SNAP Works: A Political History—and Defense—of the Food Stamp Program
Oct 15th 2023, 12:46

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/why-snap-works-a-political-history-and-defense-of-the-food-stamp-program/) Why SNAP Works: A Political History—and Defense—of the Food Stamp Program was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s40345-023-00312-9/) Supra-second interval timing in bipolar disorder: examining the role of disorder sub-type, mood, and medication status
Oct 15th 2023, 12:33

Widely reported by bipolar disorder (BD) patients, cognitive symptoms, including deficits in executive function, memory, attention, and timing are under-studied. Work suggests that individuals with BD show imp…
(https://journalbipolardisorders.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40345-023-00312-9) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s40345-023-00312-9/) Supra-second interval timing in bipolar disorder: examining the role of disorder sub-type, mood, and medication status was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s10826-023-02689-8/) Health Anxiety in Adolescents: The Roles of Online Health Information Seeking and Parental Health Anxiety
Oct 15th 2023, 11:47

Abstract
Health anxiety is a condition which can negatively impact the well-being of an individual through rumination or extreme safety measures. However, literature about the factors related to adolescent health anxiety is scarce. In this study, we explored factors potentially related to adolescent health anxiety. Using structural equation modeling, we analyzed data from 1530 Czech adolescents aged 13–18, recruited through quota sampling, and their caregivers (64% female). First, we focused on its transmission from caregiver to offspring and on the moderating effect of gender. Second, we studied the relationship between online health information seeking and adolescent health anxiety with eHealth literacy as a potential moderator. The responses partially supported our hypotheses. Adolescent health anxiety was positively related to the health anxiety of the caregiver. Disease information seeking was positively related to health anxiety, but we found no such effect for fitness information seeking. Finally, eHealth literacy did not moderate online health information seeking. Our results underline that the health anxiety of caregivers and their offspring are intertwined and should ideally be addressed together. Furthermore, we show that for adolescents, like adults, online disease information seeking can be related to health anxiety and should be considered.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10826-023-02689-8?error=cookies_not_supported&code=b4a5c970-4968-4124-a479-465f8d7e9c26) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s10826-023-02689-8/) Health Anxiety in Adolescents: The Roles of Online Health Information Seeking and Parental Health Anxiety was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/capr-12693/) “It’s wrong to relax, you have to be on the go, go, go, all the time”: Emotional transformation in a case of emotion‐focused therapy for generalised anxiety disorder
Oct 15th 2023, 11:44

Abstract
Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) is a highly prevalent, chronic and impairing disorder. The aim of this study was to qualitatively describe the transformation in emotional processing across 16 sessions of a successful emotion-focused therapy (EFT) treatment for GAD. A theoretical framework derived from the EFT model of in-session emotional transformation proposed by Pascual-Leone and Greenberg was used as the basis for qualitative analysis. Additionally, the Classification of Affective Meaning States, the Client-Expressed Arousal Scale-III and the Client Emotional Productivity Scale-Revised were utilised by observer–raters to classify moment-by-moment shifts in client affective-meaning states, emotional arousal and emotional productivity. Results supported the emotion transformation model. The client presented in a state of poorly differentiated but highly aroused distress provoked by identifiable interpersonal and intrapersonal triggers. Emotional and behavioural avoidance provoked by fear of pain was evident. Accessing core pain and responding to attendant needs with compassion and protective anger was shown to facilitate the higher order emotional processing states of grief, relief and agency. Implications are proposed, including that addressing core emotional vulnerability may be a critical intervention in the successful treatment of GAD.
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/capr.12693?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/capr-12693/) “It’s wrong to relax, you have to be on the go, go, go, all the time”: Emotional transformation in a case of emotion‐focused therapy for generalised anxiety disorder was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/high-influenza-incidence-and-disease-severity-among-children-and-adolescents-aged/) High Influenza Incidence and Disease Severity Among Children and Adolescents Aged
Oct 15th 2023, 10:29

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/high-influenza-incidence-and-disease-severity-among-children-and-adolescents-aged/) High Influenza Incidence and Disease Severity Among Children and Adolescents Aged <18 Years ― United States, 2022–23 Season was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/how-to-clean-and-disinfect-schools-to-help-slow-the-spread-of-flu/) How To Clean and Disinfect Schools To Help Slow the Spread of Flu
Oct 15th 2023, 10:08

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/how-to-clean-and-disinfect-schools-to-help-slow-the-spread-of-flu/) How To Clean and Disinfect Schools To Help Slow the Spread of Flu was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/video/a-critical-reflection-on-the-professionalization-of-experiential-experts/) A Critical Reflection on the Professionalization of Experiential Experts
Oct 15th 2023, 10:04

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/video/a-critical-reflection-on-the-professionalization-of-experiential-experts/) A Critical Reflection on the Professionalization of Experiential Experts was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/a-uniquely-terrible-new-dei-policy/) A Uniquely Terrible New DEI Policy
Oct 15th 2023, 10:04

Attacks on faculty rights are frequent in academia, where professors’ words are now policed by illiberal administrators, state legislators, and students. I’ve reported on related controversies in American higher education for more than 20 years. But I’ve never seen a policy that threatens academic freedom or First Amendment rights on a greater scale than what is now unfolding in this country’s largest system of higher education: California’s community colleges.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/a-uniquely-terrible-new-dei-policy/) A Uniquely Terrible New DEI Policy was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/podcasts/what-it-feels-like-visceral-rhetoric-and-the-politics-of-rape-culture/) What It Feels Like: Visceral Rhetoric and the Politics of Rape Culture
Oct 15th 2023, 09:59

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/podcasts/what-it-feels-like-visceral-rhetoric-and-the-politics-of-rape-culture/) What It Feels Like: Visceral Rhetoric and the Politics of Rape Culture was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s13643-023-02315-0/) A systematic review of the measures that have been used to assess surface characteristics in relation to their impact on walking and falling
Oct 15th 2023, 09:47

We investigated whether an impediment to progress in understanding the environmental factors that cause falls may be the difficulty in comparing results across studies because walking surfaces are poorly defin…
(https://systematicreviewsjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13643-023-02315-0) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s13643-023-02315-0/) A systematic review of the measures that have been used to assess surface characteristics in relation to their impact on walking and falling was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/five-lessons-to-deal-with-uncertainty-in-research-impact-evaluation/) Five lessons to deal with uncertainty in research impact evaluation
Oct 15th 2023, 08:46

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/five-lessons-to-deal-with-uncertainty-in-research-impact-evaluation/) Five lessons to deal with uncertainty in research impact evaluation was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s12910-023-00954-5/) Patient priorities for fulfilling the principle of respect in research: findings from a modified Delphi study
Oct 15th 2023, 08:34

Standard interpretations of the ethical principle of respect for persons have not incorporated the views and values of patients, especially patients from groups underrepresented in research. This limits the ab…
(https://bmcmedethics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12910-023-00954-5) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s12910-023-00954-5/) Patient priorities for fulfilling the principle of respect in research: findings from a modified Delphi study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/gonzalez-rojas-reintroduces-legislation-to-eliminate-social-worker-testing-requirement/) Gonzalez-Rojas reintroduces legislation to eliminate social worker testing requirement
Oct 15th 2023, 07:54

Assemblymember Jessica Gonzalez-Rojas has reintroduced a bill to eliminate a social work testing requirement that has been considered biased against people of color.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/gonzalez-rojas-reintroduces-legislation-to-eliminate-social-worker-testing-requirement/) Gonzalez-Rojas reintroduces legislation to eliminate social worker testing requirement was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/sanders-says-children-and-innocent-people-do-not-deserve-to-be-punished-for-acts-of-hamas/) Sanders Says ‘Children and Innocent People Do Not Deserve to Be Punished for Acts of Hamas’
Oct 15th 2023, 04:54

“The targeting of civilians is a war crime, no matter who does it,” said U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/sanders-says-children-and-innocent-people-do-not-deserve-to-be-punished-for-acts-of-hamas/) Sanders Says ‘Children and Innocent People Do Not Deserve to Be Punished for Acts of Hamas’ was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/uk-record-hiv-testing-among-gay-and-bisexual-men/) UK: Record HIV testing among gay and bisexual men
Oct 15th 2023, 04:37

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/uk-record-hiv-testing-among-gay-and-bisexual-men/) UK: Record HIV testing among gay and bisexual men was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s12910-023-00956-3/) Analysis of factors influencing the organizational capacity of Institutional Review Boards In China: a crisp-set Qualitative Comparative Analysis based on 107 cases
Oct 15th 2023, 03:33

Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) play a vital role in safeguarding the rights and interests of both research participants and researchers. However, China initiated the establishment of its own IRB system rel…
(https://bmcmedethics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12910-023-00956-3) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/s12910-023-00956-3/) Analysis of factors influencing the organizational capacity of Institutional Review Boards In China: a crisp-set Qualitative Comparative Analysis based on 107 cases was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/intimate-partner-femicide-suicide-in-eswatini-offenders-victims-incident-characteristics-and-sociocultural-contexts/) Intimate Partner Femicide–Suicide in Eswatini: Offenders, Victims, Incident Characteristics and Sociocultural Contexts
Oct 15th 2023, 02:22

The current article reports the results of a systematic study of 42 intimate partner femicide–suicides with 91 fatal casualties in Eswatini, Africa, from 2009 to 2022. The study used a media-surveillance methodology to identify the 42 cases from a major local online newspaper. Information on all identified cases was subjected to careful criminological analyses. Six of the cases involved seven collateral, or corollary, homicide victims. Results indicate that assailants and victims were generally of lower socio-economic background; assailants tended to be older than their victims; stabbing with a knife, shooting with a gun and slashing with a machete were the dominant homicide methods; ingestion of weevil tablets and other poisons, hanging and shooting with a firearm were the predominant suicide means. The results further show that femicide incidents overwhelmingly involved overkill, with the assailant using inordinately high levels of aggression against the victim. Male sexual jealousy, rage over the female partner’s abrogation of the relationship, and interpersonal disputes of variable origin were the major precipitants. It is recommended that deterrent sentences should be used to teach wife assaulters and would-be assaulters that society does not tolerate assaultive behaviour within intimate relationships. More resources should be provided for women who are victims of domestic violence. This should include legal aid, financial resources and refuges for women in danger and their children. Measures should be taken to control the proliferation of firearms in society.

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/intimate-partner-femicide-suicide-in-eswatini-offenders-victims-incident-characteristics-and-sociocultural-contexts/) Intimate Partner Femicide–Suicide in Eswatini: Offenders, Victims, Incident Characteristics and Sociocultural Contexts was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/refugee-children-arriving-in-armenia-show-signs-of-severe-psychological-distress/) Refugee Children Arriving in Armenia Show Signs of Severe Psychological Distress
Oct 14th 2023, 23:57

Social workers operating in two safe spaces that UNICEF established with partners in Goris, which can serve up to 300 children daily have reported that children are dealing with intense feelings of sadness, anxiety, fear and anger, manifesting in nightmares, bedwetting, and inconsolable crying. Others have shut down and become detached, leaving them unable to express emotions or connect with the situation around them.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/refugee-children-arriving-in-armenia-show-signs-of-severe-psychological-distress/) Refugee Children Arriving in Armenia Show Signs of Severe Psychological Distress was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7224145/) Review of Care for Older Adults in India: Living Arrangements and Quality of Life
Oct 14th 2023, 23:56

BaileyA., HydeM., & JamesK. S. (2022). Care for Older Adults in India. Policy Press, Bristol, UK, 246 pp., $118.00 (paper).
(https://academic.oup.com/gerontologist/article/63/8/1407/7224145?rss=1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7224145/) Review of Care for Older Adults in India: Living Arrangements and Quality of Life was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/covid-19-economic-stimulus-packages-tourism-industry-and-external-debt-the-influence-of-extreme-poverty/) COVID-19 economic stimulus packages, tourism industry and external debt: The influence of extreme poverty
Oct 14th 2023, 23:56

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/covid-19-economic-stimulus-packages-tourism-industry-and-external-debt-the-influence-of-extreme-poverty/) COVID-19 economic stimulus packages, tourism industry and external debt: The influence of extreme poverty was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/moving-away-from-the-punitive-paradigm-an-analysis-of-the-2023-ohchr-report-on-drug-policy/) Moving away from the punitive paradigm: An analysis of the 2023 OHCHR report on drug policy
Oct 14th 2023, 23:51

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/moving-away-from-the-punitive-paradigm-an-analysis-of-the-2023-ohchr-report-on-drug-policy/) Moving away from the punitive paradigm: An analysis of the 2023 OHCHR report on drug policy was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/funding/request-for-information-rfi-on-the-need-for-research-studies-to-evaluate-potential-effects-of-types-of-blood-pressure-reducing-agents-on-the-development-of-mild-cognitive-impairment-and-dementia/) Request for Information (RFI) on the need for research studies to evaluate potential effects of types of blood pressure reducing agents on the development of mild cognitive impairment and dementia
Oct 14th 2023, 23:38

Notice NOT-AG-23-039 from the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/funding/request-for-information-rfi-on-the-need-for-research-studies-to-evaluate-potential-effects-of-types-of-blood-pressure-reducing-agents-on-the-development-of-mild-cognitive-impairment-and-dementia/) Request for Information (RFI) on the need for research studies to evaluate potential effects of types of blood pressure reducing agents on the development of mild cognitive impairment and dementia was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/jomf-12939/) Geographic relocation in response to parents’ health shocks: Who moves and how close?
Oct 14th 2023, 23:29

Abstract
Objective
This article examines how parent–child geographic proximity changes around the onset of parental health shocks in the United States. Differences in the likelihood of moving closer across social groups are also investigated.
Background
Adult children often care for older parents with health problems, but this requires relatively close proximity. As families are becoming smaller and many adult children live away from their parents, it is unclear how responsive families will be to older adults’ health problems.
Method
We estimate a series of fixed effects and event study models on data from the Health and Retirement Study (2004–2018) to assess changes in parent–child proximity after parents’ first onset of cognitive impairment and functional limitations.
Results
We find robust evidence that parents and children tend to stay close or move closer to each other in response to parent’s health declines. Moves occur immediately and in subsequent waves after the onset of health shocks. Reductions in parent–child distance are consistently larger among mother-daughter dyads, dyads without spouses or multiple children, and non-Hispanic white families.
Conclusion
The geographic availability of adult children to provide care is responsive to parents’ needs. After the onset of a serious health condition, most older adults have a spouse or child living close enough to provide care. Parents’ and children’s lives are dynamically linked, and either or both may relocate to facilitate care.
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jomf.12939?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/jomf-12939/) Geographic relocation in response to parents’ health shocks: Who moves and how close? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed