Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Mon Nov 6 11:54:37 PST 2023

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/the-evolving-treatment-landscape-for-children-with-sickle-cell-disease/) The evolving treatment landscape for children with sickle cell disease
Nov 6th 2023, 14:49

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/the-evolving-treatment-landscape-for-children-with-sickle-cell-disease/) The evolving treatment landscape for children with sickle cell disease was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/1525822x231198989/) Community-based Participant-observation (CBPO): A Participatory Method for Ethnographic Research
Nov 6th 2023, 14:44

Field Methods, Ahead of Print. Community-based participant-observation purposefully combines participant-observation and community-based participatory research. While participant-observation is the core method of ethnography and foundational to cultural anthropology, community-based participatory research initially emerged from health and related applied sciences to align researchers’ and communities’ agendas through focused collaboration. Participant-observation and community-based participatory research have different scholarly origins and norms but are united in centering communities’ understandings on their terms. Combining the strengths of both, we provide a step-by-step explanation of community-based participant-observation, with examples from a study of water insecurity in colonias north of the U.S.–Mexico border. Using community-based participant-observation, researchers can facilitate the co-production of knowledge and community benefit by analyzing high-quality data that inform theory building and basic research.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1525822X231198989?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/1525822x231198989/) Community-based Participant-observation (CBPO): A Participatory Method for Ethnographic Research was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/1525822x231198997/) Does Providing an Example Social Network Map Increase Referrals or Affect Types of Ties Reported in an Online Survey?
Nov 6th 2023, 13:44

Field Methods, Ahead of Print. Social network research often depends on the willingness of respondents to provide personal information about themselves and alters. Survey design strategies that increase willingness to share this information are necessary for social network research to be feasible, especially when name generators are used for sampling because rosters are unavailable. We conducted an experiment in which one group of respondents (n = 94) received an online survey that included an example network map and the other group (n = 100) received one that did not. Results show the map did not increase or decrease provision of network contacts nor influence the types of ties reported. Furthermore, respondents were reluctant to provide names and contact information of alters. Our study demonstrates the difficulty of collecting network information without a previously defined roster and an attempt to improve data collection through strategic survey design.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1525822X231198997?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/1525822x231198997/) Does Providing an Example Social Network Map Increase Referrals or Affect Types of Ties Reported in an Online Survey? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/seriously-mad-mental-distress-and-the-broadway-musical/) Seriously Mad: Mental Distress and the Broadway Musical
Nov 6th 2023, 12:54

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/seriously-mad-mental-distress-and-the-broadway-musical/) Seriously Mad: Mental Distress and the Broadway Musical was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/prevalence-and-risk-factors-for-long-covid-and-post-covid-19-condition-in-africa-a-systematic-review/) Prevalence and risk factors for long COVID and post-COVID-19 condition in Africa: a systematic review
Nov 6th 2023, 12:53

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/prevalence-and-risk-factors-for-long-covid-and-post-covid-19-condition-in-africa-a-systematic-review/) Prevalence and risk factors for long COVID and post-COVID-19 condition in Africa: a systematic review was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/00328855231200637/) Jail Officers’ Adherence to Traditional Bases of Social Power: Understanding Inmate Control in a Unique Correctional Context
Nov 6th 2023, 12:46

The Prison Journal, Ahead of Print. Scholars have investigated the social sources of power that correctional officers embrace as their means of control over people who are incarcerated. However, this work has been conducted with community correctional officers and those working in state prisons, with almost no attention to officers who work in local jails. Jails are distinctive in ways that may be important for the bases of power on which officers may draw, and the current study analyzed data from officers employed by a large urban jail. Jail officers favored coercive power more so and referent power less so than has been reported in prior studies of prison officers. Further, we employed latent class analysis to identify groups of officers and analyzed covariates of the resultant classes. We discuss implications for understanding the exercise of power in local jails.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00328855231200637?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/00328855231200637/) Jail Officers’ Adherence to Traditional Bases of Social Power: Understanding Inmate Control in a Unique Correctional Context was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/disability-justice-and-equity-in-housing/) Disability Justice and Equity in Housing
Nov 6th 2023, 12:18

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/disability-justice-and-equity-in-housing/) Disability Justice and Equity in Housing was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/00328855231200632/) Radio What’s New? Someone Still Loves You: The Impact of Listening to Prison Radio
Nov 6th 2023, 11:47

The Prison Journal, Ahead of Print. This study examines the impact of listening to prison radio on the well-being of inmates. Its main quantitative findings are that listening to the radio had no significant impact on inmates’ anxiety, anger, emotional distress, or self-esteem. The qualitative results found that listening to the radio has a positive impact on inmates’ well-being, their outlook, the atmosphere of the prison, and peer relationships. We conclude that the practice of prison radio reflects sophisticated prison administration, reducing feelings of hostility and anger on the part of the inmates and promoting trust among inmates and between them and the staff.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00328855231200632?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/00328855231200632/) Radio What’s New? Someone Still Loves You: The Impact of Listening to Prison Radio was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/curbing-dog-whistle-politics/) Curbing Dog-Whistle Politics
Nov 6th 2023, 11:43

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/curbing-dog-whistle-politics/) Curbing Dog-Whistle Politics was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7303709/) Trickle-Down Burdens: The Effect of Provider Burdens on Clients’ Experience
Nov 6th 2023, 11:18

Abstract
Administrative burden research disproportionately examines micro-level burdens on clients claiming benefits from public agencies. Yet we know little about meso-level burdens on third-party providers making up the submerged state—private actors working on behalf of a public purpose—and what effect these burdens have on services. We draw on interviews, participant observation, and focus groups with substance-use disorder (SUD) service providers to map provider burdens and how they affect services that third parties offer. We supplement the provider perspective with data from clients and their families about their experience with services. We find that providers face significant administrative burdens resulting from federal and state policy; that these burdens affect the quality of the services they are able to offer; and, ultimately, that burdens on providers can trickle down to become burdens on clients. Our research has implications for how we understand administrative burdens, the solutions best suited to reducing them, and the role of burdens as a form of hidden politics in the submerged state.
(https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx?code=3D53N0&state=c205113d-4006-4b31-bf1f-28af44bbc432redirecturl%3Dhttpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjjpartzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjjopartzjmuad024zj7303709zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7303709/) Trickle-Down Burdens: The Effect of Provider Burdens on Clients’ Experience was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/video/ldpc-2023-a-fair-retirement-addressing-pensioner-poverty/) LDPC 2023: A fair retirement: Addressing pensioner poverty
Nov 6th 2023, 10:28

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/video/ldpc-2023-a-fair-retirement-addressing-pensioner-poverty/) LDPC 2023: A fair retirement: Addressing pensioner poverty was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s13158-023-00376-9/) The Mediation Role of Executive Functioning on the Association Between Parental Responsiveness and Compliance in Preschoolers
Nov 6th 2023, 10:23

Abstract
Compliance is an important skill of social competence for young children as it reflects children’s ability to understand others’ expectations and to display cooperative behaviors. Existing research has shown that parental responsiveness and child executive functioning separately make contributions to child compliance, but less is known about the relationships among these three variables. Therefore, this study tested a theoretical model by investigating the direct and indirect relationships among parental responsiveness, compliance, and executive functioning in preschoolers. This study utilized the data of parental self-reports from Kids in Taiwan: National Longitudinal Study of Child Development & Care (KIT), a nationwide longitudinal study designed to collect data on the development and care of children in Taiwan. 1,747 four-year-old preschoolers (857 boys, 890 girls, mean age 48.77 months) and their parents (either father or mother) were included in this study for analysis. The results from the structural equation model revealed that parental responsiveness was directly and indirectly (via child executive functioning) related to child compliance. For preschoolers, responsive parenting was associated with better executive functioning skills, which, in turn, led to increased compliant behaviors. Our findings highlighted the need to enhance parental responsiveness and child executive functioning when addressing compliance in young children.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13158-023-00376-9) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s13158-023-00376-9/) The Mediation Role of Executive Functioning on the Association Between Parental Responsiveness and Compliance in Preschoolers was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s11414-023-09866-z/) Using Collaborative Documentation to Support Person-Centered Care in Substance Use Settings
Nov 6th 2023, 10:19

Abstract
The delivery of person-centered care (PCC) is critical to promoting service engagement among individuals who use substances. Collaborative documentation (CD) is an emerging person-centered practice used in community mental health, but has not been evaluated in substance use settings. This qualitative study conducted focus groups with substance use treatment providers (n=22) in an outpatient clinic to examine the impact of CD on PCC and clinical quality. Rapid qualitative analysis methods were used to identify key themes. Participants reported that using CD reduced documentation time and helped build trust and better understand their clients. Using CD presented unique challenges and opportunities when used with mandated populations or those with complex symptoms. The importance of honoring clients’ preference not to collaborate in care was a salient theme. Findings indicate that CD can promote PCC in substance use treatment. Targeted strategies to optimize CD for mandated and clinically complex populations are needed.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11414-023-09866-z) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/s11414-023-09866-z/) Using Collaborative Documentation to Support Person-Centered Care in Substance Use Settings was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/14767503231207993/) Heartbeat recordings in music therapy bereavement care following suicide: Action research single case study of amplified cardiopulmonary recordings for continuity of care
Nov 6th 2023, 10:18

Action Research, Ahead of Print. Bereavement services incorporating family-centered practices are emerging within hospital-based care but are often time-limited and lack personalization. This action research single case study explored one father’s experience of music therapy using amplified cardiopulmonary recordings (ACPR) during bereavement following his son’s death by suicide, to critique current norms and inspire transformative change in systems of care. As co-researchers, a bereaved father, his music therapist, and a music therapy researcher used iterative cycles to qualitatively analyze a series of dialogic reflections upon an 8-year experience of ACPR to construct two overarching themes: 1) continuity experienced as compassion, and 2) process of music therapy with ACPR as tool for resilience and positive growth. Aspects of continuity in the ACPR process, in relation with the music therapist, in journeying through grief, and in the heart and heartbeat were perceived as overwhelming compassion that fostered positive growth in the face of profound loss. We see our study as a first step in promoting culture change by exposing underlying practices, assumptions and policies within the context of hospital-based bereavement care and identifying an exceptional example of possibilities. Our findings add to the literature on action research for transformation by demonstrating that the process of relational knowledge co-creation can be perceived as part of the therapeutic journey.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/14767503231207993?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/14767503231207993/) Heartbeat recordings in music therapy bereavement care following suicide: Action research single case study of amplified cardiopulmonary recordings for continuity of care was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/14767503231210418/) Antiracism in appreciative inquiry: Generative tensions and collective reflexivity
Nov 6th 2023, 10:18

Action Research, Ahead of Print. Appreciative inquiry is an action research methodology focused on revealing an organization’s positive core. As a cross-racial team of antiracist researchers, we were drawn to appreciative inquiry due to its congruences with community-based research perspectives on power-sharing and co-constructing knowledge. Our collaborative reflexivity brought us to question whether Appreciative inquiry’s hyper-focus on positivity would fit our antiracist research paradigm. We articulate reflections of how antiracism theory informed our approach to Appreciative inquiry in a study on the experiences of predominantly racialized settlement workers in schools during the COVID-19 pandemic. We explain how we negotiated tensions between Appreciative inquiry’s focus on positivity and our antiracist framing, in a Canadian settler colonial context where institutional expectations to ignore racism and collapse diversity, loom large. Without a theoretical framework that attends to racism and power, Appreciative inquiry may not fulsomely address participants’ transnational knowledges, nor experiences outside of a positive/negative binary. In our elucidation of how critical reflexivity on racism allowed us to integrate antiracism into Appreciative inquiry, we demonstrate the value of first-person action research for expanding the social justice aims of research.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/14767503231210418?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/14767503231210418/) Antiracism in appreciative inquiry: Generative tensions and collective reflexivity was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/engaging-community-coalitions-to-decrease-opioid-overdose-deaths-practice-guide-2023/) Engaging Community Coalitions to Decrease Opioid Overdose Deaths Practice Guide 2023
Nov 6th 2023, 10:16

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/engaging-community-coalitions-to-decrease-opioid-overdose-deaths-practice-guide-2023/) Engaging Community Coalitions to Decrease Opioid Overdose Deaths Practice Guide 2023 was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/the-pros-and-cons-of-safe-injection-sites-for-opioids/) The pros and cons of safe injection sites for opioids
Nov 6th 2023, 09:56

Protestors in support of safe injection sites in Philadelphia
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/the-pros-and-cons-of-safe-injection-sites-for-opioids/) The pros and cons of safe injection sites for opioids was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000346/) Tying the value of goals to social class.
Nov 6th 2023, 09:47

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 125(4), Oct 2023, 699-719; doi:10.1037/pspa0000346
Although everyone strives toward valued goals, we suggest that not everyone will be perceived as doing so equally. In this research, we examine the tendency to use social class as a cue to understand the importance of others’ goals. Six studies find evidence of a goal-value bias: Observers perceive goals across a variety of domains as more valuable to higher class than to lower class individuals (Studies 1–6). These perceptions do not appear to reflect reality (pilot study), and those who are strongly motivated to justify inequality show the bias to a greater extent (Studies 5 and 6), suggesting a motivated pathway. We also explore implications of the bias, finding that Americans tend to offer better opportunities to, and prefer to collaborate with, higher class than lower class others, revealing discriminatory outcomes that are partially driven by perceived goal value (Studies 2, 3, 4, 6). Results suggest that Americans expect higher class individuals to value achieving goals more than their lower class counterparts, fueling increased support for those who are already ahead. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2023 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000346/) Tying the value of goals to social class. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000348/) Field-specific ability beliefs as an explanation for gender differences in academics’ career trajectories: Evidence from public profiles on ORCID.Org.
Nov 6th 2023, 08:48

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 125(4), Oct 2023, 681-698; doi:10.1037/pspa0000348
Academic fields exhibit substantial levels of gender segregation. Here, we investigated differences in field-specific ability beliefs (FABs) as an explanation for this phenomenon. FABs may contribute to gender segregation to the extent that they portray success as depending on “brilliance” (i.e., exceptional intellectual ability), which is a trait culturally associated with men more than women. Although prior work has documented a relation between academic fields’ FABs and their gender composition, it is still unclear what the underlying dynamics are that give rise to gender imbalances across academia as a function of FABs. To provide insight into this issue, we custom-built a new data set by combining information from the author-tracking service Open Researcher and Contributor ID (ORCID) with information from a survey of U.S. academics across 30 fields. Using this expansive longitudinal data set (Ns = 86,879–364,355), we found that women were underrepresented among those who enter fields with brilliance-oriented FABs and overrepresented among those who exit these fields. We also found that FABs’ association with women’s transitions across academic fields was substantially stronger than their association with men’s transitions. With respect to mechanisms, FABs’ association with gender segregation was partially explained by the fact that women encounter more prejudice in fields with brilliance-oriented FABs. With its focus on the dynamic patterns shaping segregation and its broad scope in terms of geography, career stage, and historical time, this research makes an important contribution toward understanding the factors driving gender segregation in academia. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2023 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/pspa0000348/) Field-specific ability beliefs as an explanation for gender differences in academics’ career trajectories: Evidence from public profiles on ORCID.Org. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/practice-incentives-program-quality-improvement-measures-annual-data-update-2022-23/) Practice Incentives Program Quality Improvement Measures: annual data update 2022-23
Nov 6th 2023, 08:44

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/practice-incentives-program-quality-improvement-measures-annual-data-update-2022-23/) Practice Incentives Program Quality Improvement Measures: annual data update 2022-23 was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/flourishing-mental-health-despite-disabling-chronic-pain-findings-from-a-nationally-representative-sample-of-canadians-with-arthritis/) Flourishing mental health despite disabling chronic pain: Findings from a nationally representative sample of Canadians with arthritis
Nov 6th 2023, 08:13

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/flourishing-mental-health-despite-disabling-chronic-pain-findings-from-a-nationally-representative-sample-of-canadians-with-arthritis/) Flourishing mental health despite disabling chronic pain: Findings from a nationally representative sample of Canadians with arthritis was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/01621424-2023-2202149/) Analysis of home care nurses’ workload: A time-motion study
Nov 6th 2023, 07:47

Volume 42, Issue 4, October 2023, Page 311-327.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01621424.2023.2202149?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/01621424-2023-2202149/) Analysis of home care nurses’ workload: A time-motion study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/02646838-2021-2021477/) A scoping review of therapies used to treat psychological trauma post perinatal bereavement
Nov 6th 2023, 07:04

Volume 41, Issue 5, November 2023, Page 582-598.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02646838.2021.2021477?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/02646838-2021-2021477/) A scoping review of therapies used to treat psychological trauma post perinatal bereavement was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/government-asked-to-consider-ban-on-agency-social-workers-as-councils-bill-rises-to-30m/) Government asked to consider ban on agency social workers as council’s bill rises to £30m
Nov 6th 2023, 06:56

Bradford Council said its reliance on these workers is one of the “main reasons” for its financial troubles, as the bill is expected to reach £30m this year. That is up from £4.3m in 2018/19.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/government-asked-to-consider-ban-on-agency-social-workers-as-councils-bill-rises-to-30m/) Government asked to consider ban on agency social workers as council’s bill rises to £30m was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/1354067x231204309/) The experiences of non-indigenous ethnic minority psychotherapists residing and practicing in Aotearoa New Zealand
Nov 6th 2023, 06:46

Culture &Psychology, Ahead of Print. The bicultural nation that is Aotearoa New Zealand is now a multi-ethnic society, home to many non-indigenous ethnic minority communities. This study explored the perceptions and experiences of four self-identifying non-indigenous ethnic minority psychotherapists living in this country. Specifically, it answers the question: “What are the predominant themes that can be identified in the accounts of non-Māori ethnic minority psychotherapists, residing and practicing within the bicultural context of Aotearoa New Zealand?” Semi-structured interviews with participants explored their lived everyday experiences in both personal and professional spheres. Data were analysed using thematic analysis and yielded three themes: (1) “Acculturation to mainstream” captures the personal challenges participants encountered as immigrants in relocating and adapting to mainstream Aotearoa New Zealand culture; (2) “Encountering Indigenous culture” describes participants’ experiences of coming into contact with indigenous Māori culture, and ensuing perceptions and understandings; (3) “Relating to biculturalism” describes how the participants understand and make meaning of biculturalism in Aotearoa New Zealand. Understanding these participants’ experiences can help non-indigenous ethnic minority psychotherapists become better informed and politically aware, and may empower them to negotiate a more meaningful position in a bicultural nation.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1354067X231204309?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/1354067x231204309/) The experiences of non-indigenous ethnic minority psychotherapists residing and practicing in Aotearoa New Zealand was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/jech-2022-220188v1/) Inequalities in childrens mental health before and during the COVID-19 pandemic: findings from the UK Household Longitudinal Study
Nov 6th 2023, 06:41

Background
There are concerns that child mental health inequalities may have widened during the COVID-19 pandemic. We investigated whether child mental health inequalities changed in 2020/2021 compared with prepandemic.
Methods
We analysed 16 361 observations from 9272 children in the population representative UK Household Longitudinal Study. Child mental health was measured using the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) at ages 5 and 8 years in annual surveys 2011–2019, and at ages 5–11 years in July 2020, September 2020 and March 2021. Inequalities in cross-sectional SDQ scores among 5 and 8 year olds, before and during the pandemic, were modelled using linear regression. Additionally, interactions between time (before/during pandemic) and: sex, ethnicity, family structure, parental education, employment, household income and area deprivation on mental health were explored.
Results
A trend towards poorer mental health between 2011 and 2019 continued during the pandemic (b=0.12, 95% CI 0.08 to 0.17). Children with coupled, highly educated, employed parents and higher household income experienced greater mental health declines during the pandemic than less advantaged groups, leading to narrowed inequalities. For example, the mean difference in child SDQ scores for unemployed compared with employed parents was 2.35 prepandemic (1.72 to 2.98) and 0.02 during the pandemic (–1.10 to 1.13). Worse scores related to male sex and area deprivation were maintained. White children experienced worse mental health than other ethnicities, and greater declines during the pandemic.
Conclusion
Mental health among UK 5 and 8 year olds deteriorated during the pandemic, although several inequalities narrowed. Interventions are needed to improve child mental health while ensuring inequalities do not widen.

(https://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2023/08/08/jech-2022-220188?rss=1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/jech-2022-220188v1/) Inequalities in childrens mental health before and during the COVID-19 pandemic: findings from the UK Household Longitudinal Study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7301515/) COVID-19 Impact on Children’s Social Work Practice and Social Worker Well-being: A Mixed Methods Study from Northern Ireland and Great Britain during 2020–2022
Nov 6th 2023, 05:43

Abstract
Social workers were heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. In this study, we examined the well-being, burnout and work conditions of UK children’s social workers at five time points of the COVID-19 pandemic. This was a cross-sectional mixed methods study analysing data from 1,621 social workers who worked in children’s services in the UK in 2020–2022. Data were collected using anonymous online surveys which included both quantitative and qualitative questions. The mental well-being of participants decreased as the pandemic progressed and work-related burnout increased. In the later stages of the pandemic, children’s social workers in Northern Ireland fared better than their Great Britain counterparts in relation to their well-being and levels of burnout. Thematic analysis of qualitative data revealed four major themes: Changes in service demand and referrals, Adapted ways of working, Staff shortages and Emotional impact. The findings highlight the challenges that the children’s social workers encountered during the COVID-19 pandemic and have implications for policy, practice and research.
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.dM-QBL8J8O81ETPEIxfzcP1JToOsJ8LXCaPZGHrpqmvPxHuh3llTb3H3Qe5e9u4YxwjPtKSwoDIZKIpJpeVv6dy7fqUSgSWYuyeceWzaM0tLAd3wcED6z9ziLaG91sPDE27vR0_NLyRu0vzmlYr2gz8EHuOoRwdcaMmD4G5CoImWsZVZ2zut5zOGVwBPw5K_B0Y3Bhra92o9sJhxvJxBZWGpOuLEYM0s1EeQjhlVYcFvfnE3ViA2b8mTmC1Rvh7QqwNLA1doeeJXeQMjQnx30kj-gyrJvOyHqDubLpgGVqopm5Zh2-5Aew0yWMvrgiXrp0EDmLDM0IvffSgwTfazrA.6EKacZkyQGqgUh-R.bgdkJxe2gmjlFoLtOhOh8jahfQNz54JTtBCxwsS3UbnKoIP2cbtltvrvsBDCqo8-Ipgm0W3vPjCdQO6pE_PiqXBpWHSYIlE-i0xDSDlbFEoJboASIoz_rIYtHL_uVzUOfpuXgciImQplZc1mvFb5EVSeJveZ8qTWkbWqxyrthrW24b-rCWqL2lyD23_v2lgSJX3iqX97ZsvtCFOkMXYbPBXJMNg.a97JgUu_eJSmGaMnWs3rpg&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=ea6449f2-9006-4ab2-81ce-208375aae0c5redirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjbjswzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjbjswzjbcad220zj7301515zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7301515/) COVID-19 Impact on Children’s Social Work Practice and Social Worker Well-being: A Mixed Methods Study from Northern Ireland and Great Britain during 2020–2022 was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/designing-out-hardship-and-destitution/) Designing out hardship and destitution
Nov 6th 2023, 05:14

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/designing-out-hardship-and-destitution/) Designing out hardship and destitution was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13691457-2022-2156982/) Balancing in the pandemic: how social workers respond to new risks when supporting clients who experience domestic violence
Nov 6th 2023, 05:11

Volume 26, Issue 5, September 2023, Page 935-947.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13691457.2022.2156982?af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/13691457-2022-2156982/) Balancing in the pandemic: how social workers respond to new risks when supporting clients who experience domestic violence was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/associations-between-physical-activity-sedentary-behaviour-and-alcohol-consumption-among-uk-adults-findings-from-the-health-behaviours-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-hebeco-study/) Associations between physical activity, sedentary behaviour, and alcohol consumption among UK adults: Findings from the Health Behaviours during the COVID-19 pandemic (HEBECO) study
Nov 6th 2023, 04:04

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/associations-between-physical-activity-sedentary-behaviour-and-alcohol-consumption-among-uk-adults-findings-from-the-health-behaviours-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-hebeco-study/) Associations between physical activity, sedentary behaviour, and alcohol consumption among UK adults: Findings from the Health Behaviours during the COVID-19 pandemic (HEBECO) study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed