Your Daily digest for NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

Article Digests for Psychology & Social Work article-digests at lists.clinicians-exchange.org
Thu Dec 28 11:56:24 PST 2023

NYU Information for Practice Daily Digest (Unofficial)

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7408633/) Association between patient choice of provider and patient-reported experience
Dec 28th 2023, 14:23

Abstract
Background
Health providers are striving to create a more positive, patient-centred experience. However, existing scholarly research about the association between determinants of patient choice of provider and patient-reported experience remains insufficient to effectively promote patient-centredness in healthcare systems.
Methods
This study used a sample from the nationally representative 2020 Healthcare Experience Survey. Among the respondents (n = 12 133), 6809 who used outpatient services were selected for analysis. The variable of interest was the determinant of the patient choice of provider, and the dependent variables were patient-reported experiences (e.g. general satisfaction, experience with doctors, and experience with health providers and nurses). Data were analyzed using a multivariable logistic regression model by correcting for covariates.
Results
General satisfaction was positively associated with providers’ expertise factors and public image factors (providers’ expertise factors: OR, 2.96; 95% CI, 2.44–3.59; public image factors: OR, 1.26; 95% CI, 1.02–1.55) satisfied more general satisfaction. Similar results were found for experience with doctors (providers’ expertise factors: OR, 4.50; 95% CI, 2.77–7.32; other factors: OR, 0.37; 95% CI, 0.16–0.81) and experience with health providers and nurses (providers’ expertise factors: OR, 2.66; 95% CI, 1.99–3.57; image factors: OR, 1.53; 95% CI, 1.09–2.14).
Conclusion
Our study’s findings suggest that to improve patient-reported experience, health providers must better manage providers’ expertise factors and public image factors. Health providers can improve patient-reported experience by increasing communication skills and proper information about the nature is important. Moreover, health providers must manage public image factors comprehensively and continuously by maintaining good quality of care continuously and to brand patients.
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.A8xMzOP_DrdyTyJmoX2JuF1g-k7cCYlDxsSKB0S6EEImnvGvIMqi97fMaZ1dFEya37UTkdDrCLj05Kit99zPbpTWZonEnAtMVkPvtvwPWBV1AWe7cnr6BCXqEYpVT31SxKzAVckVspMCwLO92-wEgwc_mERje2Jz_R5HQaxW7qdd9_A14n2YRPIHAqjzYbEqYMVPoDgzLnQNEXA3w4wh6Z5FbQcwJTW9hyMP0Bd-TWI1GsNls_aHAcdL5dIBJT4ZWA-jDAdwCPFurxi0bg0bqUvdQEk58HcmbhFLxg6W1C5GAtfGqainDQsnx_-6QDaxc51EEh9yBogYLfiOG0eBLA.gmvsejSrIUPVUaK6.QkGFTR_z_9RH3g4caE2FYmB54tGMgHLchsqBr0H8aTs7fDy984Gyd2Lt0mCHW8X3V8qvoS9gVCjfRFNgKqvdo6bn35t1e4BU19GxIRRkbw1ejB-YAw37U16FWd7h9OOvPaQZgdMEl6dCELPmCCO-y2C2zxSl2Ymn6gSpAW5BqKyRkC5DZmAxdLPNiDhzvoK61CB7eotLJabiZgLOWFeRkB2cZF0.RWGZEBqElMumOs1axUBdsQ&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=f7b49422-6416-4343-a448-c667072527beredirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjintqhczjarticlezj35zj4zjmzzad093zj7408633) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7408633/) Association between patient choice of provider and patient-reported experience was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7429434/) Refugee Externalisation Policies: Responsibility, Legitimacy and Accountability
Dec 28th 2023, 13:23

DastyariAzadeh , Nethery,Amy and HirschAsher (eds), Refugee Externalisation Policies: Responsibility, Legitimacy and Accountability (Routledge, Abingdon, Oxon,2022) 238 pp, ISBN 978-0-367-76507-1 (hbk), ISBN 978-1-003-16727-3 (ebk)
(https://academic.oup.com/ijrl/article/35/2/242/7429434?rss=1&login=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7429434/) Refugee Externalisation Policies: Responsibility, Legitimacy and Accountability was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7451099/) The unseen victims: psychological effects of food insecurity on children in low-income families
Dec 28th 2023, 13:23

Dear Editors,
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.ZphHuBfeIRJWeq0ALETsIjydwPcqkwEIR-lDW0CSM2CVIPhfcTlxpIRz6Vktxw3CjGgJdV1GF77zacQbgq096zMCl7qCPWMFYjZ2IHlhGEnYSUqztMdN4ZWcA8h7akg5n5EsONmALjbxBunViMWMd1BUgyxZTMxn4zN2h2s5lysJR22jDk0VnXnybqocQyEed7jRthVqVZFVWGE3gfYrYghAdUHrWVR4SC05WZM2LibKd0Bw1zISFgDh9KBNKaqRX3XoCvBhZaZ6Yd8RAUUrxb8d5tuJGMuErADmIgVKjsquGSHTiCoa9GADWdkvXgbqTElH2qE2aD2MgdWD-aA5Gg.pHJF7UBiTbNB80n1.a9Kb6tKZ8_W_WQdP1VIHM4EoN-xG45dwGJuOGTRlPQmiqgN5y8XWpzkl0Bfek2PWz5UZS3kV5oUWrrawvJryzefQuCVgPw4pU0L4IZmWt3QxW2vgdVTVW2Lrvx8t0-jEecOUW-oHei_z4jiSq_3Lfon2ZMoJzKW_6pHz47iQI-keCPasexPAqwnV4qkaXmF24XONUlXjrAFm1J8lz1_oyCWYggw.7vijW5AWblbfoLw2X5UQpg&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=b078e558-aeab-45d1-860d-61197e8194d6redirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjjpubhealthzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjpubmedzjfdad227zj7451099zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7451099/) The unseen victims: psychological effects of food insecurity on children in low-income families was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/cfp0000214/) Interventions for parents with mental illnesses: A scoping review.
Dec 28th 2023, 13:13

Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice, Vol 12(4), Dec 2023, 233-264; doi:10.1037/cfp0000214
Mental health professionals encounter many patients with mental disorders who are also parents. Parenting is often more challenged in parents with mental disorders, but can also motivate change. In family treatment parents with a wide range of mental illness are seen. To guide mental health professionals in their service provision to patients who are also parents, a literature search was conducted for an overview of interventions for parents with a broad range of mental illnesses. One hundred twenty-seven studies were found. Most studies focused on interventions for participants with a single disorder without comorbid problems: mostly depression (62 studies). Almost no interventions for parents with personality disorders and none for parents with autism were found. Described interventions focused mostly on improving the quality of the parent–child relationship, and to a lesser extent on improving psychological well-being of the parent or child behavior. Most interventions to improve the quality of the dyadic parent–child relationship used an attachment-based framework, especially for younger children. For improving parental psychopathology cognitive behavioral techniques were mostly used, and effective. Treatment will likely work reciprocally: improved parenting skills will also improve parental psychopathology and vice versa. Generally, the duration of the intervention was associated with the severity of family problems. New ways for (group) treatment may be found in online interventions. Inclusion of the partner or other family members in treatment has been found to be beneficial. Most studies did not include a long follow-up period, and the ones that did usually showed that effects did not last. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2023 APA, all rights reserved)
(https://ifp.nyu.edu/?internalerror=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/cfp0000214/) Interventions for parents with mental illnesses: A scoping review. was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/15579883231219572/) Estimating the Prevalence and Identifying the Correlates of Sexting Behaviors Among Cambodian Male Adolescents
Dec 28th 2023, 13:05

American Journal of Men’s Health, Volume 17, Issue 6, November-December 2023. Male youths are more likely to experience peer pressure that encourages them to engage in risky behaviors than female youths, and this pressure can lead to an increased risk of sexting among male youths. This study aimed to investigate the prevalence of and factors associated with sexting among Cambodian male youths. The correlational cross-sectional study design was utilized. This study surveyed 647 Cambodian male youths aged 15 to 24 years. The measurement included sending or receiving messages (sexts) that contain sexually explicit messages, images, or videos, and affecting factors to sexting. Around 32.5% of participants sent sexts, and 38.9% received them. Open relationships, pornographic website use, perception of friends’ sexual activity, frequent thoughts about sex, higher sexual sensation-seeking tendencies, positive attitudes toward sex, and sexual experience were associated with increased likelihood of sending and receiving sexts. Based on the findings of this study, by offering suitable education, guidance, and intervention programs, we can effectively mitigate the adverse repercussions of sexting while fostering healthy sexual behaviors among youths.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/15579883231219572?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/15579883231219572/) Estimating the Prevalence and Identifying the Correlates of Sexting Behaviors Among Cambodian Male Adolescents was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/whats-the-difference-between-equity-and-equality/) What’s the Difference Between Equity and Equality?
Dec 28th 2023, 12:48

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/whats-the-difference-between-equity-and-equality/) What’s the Difference Between Equity and Equality? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7439381/) The Complementarity Paradigm: Tracing the Transitional Justice Blueprint in the Inter-American System of Human Rights
Dec 28th 2023, 12:24

ABSTRACT∞
The promotion of ‘home-grown’ approaches to transitional justice is a powerful trope animating the field, encouraging local ownership of transitional justice processes, and refusing ‘one size fits all’ formulas. I challenge this account by exploring how the obligations resulting from anti-impunity’s advent yield only one particular institutional design that seems compatible with obligations under the American Convention on Human Rights. This means that the state’s autonomy to institutionally design a transition is increasingly narrowed in the Inter-American System of Human Rights. I develop this argument by exploring how the right to truth is enforced, showing that the interaction between regional obligations and truth as a right yields a specific transitional institutional blueprint. In doing so, I unpack legal techniques that assist in framing as necessary a transitional justice model that is a contingent, and reckon with its implications.
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.ejKlkIGFgg0e27Wc1JLyyA-sldr3QtH3kYoN4kcaSqamu5F30nnuS3EjIsmOgT_fWHxaMqaceQsK4tjWGlq2gC7UBPmKQoD2q0SmCmY3vTWmQPVnmFlsEr5h6HJniUBGj-2d6p4RIOzyUFp7RX_dkudx_DHPxEHu8G3QJlD8JpTgZATPHex-GMj6w9wVHxzV6Rk6iavp8jGm_4U_8HaYWO5VXzAsCBYyZGjpJ8u43huPocmM3onMgrqDydFrwuKoSHArm2w3QPpl8YsgDCSxZNF-mTp4vjrRYGC0239UdaTk7yHhS09aKg-b4LtB906jpKy-wXSlXZ2l3ObUgz5jhA.9IgB_jY305lDGfjk.jJ3bKcP7E-0175M1pIk0hPM1TAjGQ_K1hsB_7xW1_fz2Xd55mO8QBXmwRKA2EDv8CD9TGKCY0axtbLUb-xs7m46yRq7E9p5yx8K0eeNz9ziQxYrckxGOiePDyAas2Bdho8ho-gJJmIW4qZHZNxjBlfHNrkrnF-XRwuKSSrY5RDH-h-oaPxBicVjgV19bBGxBK73qlPknqnhyXqkqbEtlO5nzSLg.aCgCZ3k_gdwXhJibf5kDDw&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=915b54dd-0033-4987-8b2b-d693f4e55fd5redirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjijtjzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjijtjzjijad027zj7439381zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7439381/) The Complementarity Paradigm: Tracing the Transitional Justice Blueprint in the Inter-American System of Human Rights was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/american-afterlives-reinventing-death-in-the-twenty-first-century/) American Afterlives: Reinventing Death in the Twenty-First Century
Dec 28th 2023, 12:23

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/monographs-edited-collections/american-afterlives-reinventing-death-in-the-twenty-first-century/) American Afterlives: Reinventing Death in the Twenty-First Century was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7441666/) Navigating the intersection of deaf learners with disabilities: a review of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Learners with Disabilities: Foundations, Strategies, and Resources
Dec 28th 2023, 11:24

Review of: Guardino, C., Cannon, J. E., and Paul, P. V. (2022). Deaf and hard of hearing learners with disabilities: Foundations, strategies, and resources.Routledge. 324 pp.
(https://academic.oup.com/jdsde/advance-article/doi/10.1093/deafed/enad052/7441666?rss=1&login=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7441666/) Navigating the intersection of deaf learners with disabilities: a review of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Learners with Disabilities: Foundations, Strategies, and Resources was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/podcasts/hidden-confessions-of-the-mormon-church/) Hidden Confessions of the Mormon Church
Dec 28th 2023, 10:57

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/podcasts/hidden-confessions-of-the-mormon-church/) Hidden Confessions of the Mormon Church was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/new-4-5m-housing-for-those-with-complex-care-needs-completed/) New £4.5m housing for those with complex care needs completed
Dec 28th 2023, 10:49

A new housing development for West Lothian residents with learning disabilities and complex care needs has been completed
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/new-4-5m-housing-for-those-with-complex-care-needs-completed/) New £4.5m housing for those with complex care needs completed was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s12955-023-02189-9/) Impact of interventions on the quality of life of cancer patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal research
Dec 28th 2023, 10:43

Abstract
The impact of cancer interventions has been conducted in several research due to the significant burden of this non-communicable disease. The interventions that played an important role in the improvement of the patient’s quality of life (QoL) and health-related quality of life (HRQL) can be classified into two main groups: pharmaceutical and non-pharmacological methods. However, studies so far often analyze a specific group of interventions for specific types of cancer. Thus, in this systematic review and meta-analysis, we synthesized the overall impact of cancer interventions on patients’ quality of life in several cancers.
In this research, we followed the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Protocols (PRISMA-P) to search the longitudinal original research on the Web of Science (WOS) database. After that, the Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) and Jadad Scale were used to assess the quality of non-randomized control trials and randomized control trials, respectively. Then, the characteristics of the included studies were described in the six main fields table and the random effect model with robust estimation was applied to analyze the impact of interventions on the health utility of patients.
>From the database, 122 longitudinal original research were included in the meta-regression, with most of them having high or fair quality. The European Organization for the research and treatment of cancer scale for quality of life (EORTC-QLQ) was the most used health utility measurement at 65.15%. In the adjusted effect models, the Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) had significant statistics in all models when we compared it with the EQ-5D Scale (p < 0.05) and several types of cancer such as breast, lung, and prostate cancer had significant statistics when comparing with hematological cancer in the model types of cancer (p < 0.01). Moreover, radiotherapy, screening, and a combination of chemotherapy and best supportive care also had significant statistics (p < 0.01) in the model of interventions when compared with radiotherapy applied only. Our research can suggest a vital combination of both pharmaceutical and non-pharmacological interventions to improve the quality of life of some common types of cancer patients.
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12955-023-02189-9?error=cookies_not_supported&code=d1fbdd10-3607-4fa5-a57d-e32465d49898) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/meta-analyses-systematic-reviews/s12955-023-02189-9/) Impact of interventions on the quality of life of cancer patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal research was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/video/the-fight-for-global-childhood-immunization-unicef/) The Fight for Global Childhood Immunization | UNICEF
Dec 28th 2023, 10:37

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/video/the-fight-for-global-childhood-immunization-unicef/) The Fight for Global Childhood Immunization | UNICEF was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/0803706x-2023-2183864/) One hundred years of psychotherapy and fifty years of clinical practice: Reflections of a psychotherapist and questions for psychoanalysis
Dec 28th 2023, 10:33

Volume 32, Issue 4, December 2023.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0803706X.2023.2183864?ai=161&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/0803706x-2023-2183864/) One hundred years of psychotherapy and fifty years of clinical practice: Reflections of a psychotherapist and questions for psychoanalysis was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/17441692-2023-2290677/) From the factory model to the classroom-workshop: Learning from practice in the fields of health and education
Dec 28th 2023, 10:32

Volume 19, Issue 1, January 2024.
(https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17441692.2023.2290677?ai=12l&mi=79r7c4&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/17441692-2023-2290677/) From the factory model to the classroom-workshop: Learning from practice in the fields of health and education was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/helping-providers-choose-effective-programs/) Helping Providers Choose Effective Programs
Dec 28th 2023, 10:14

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/guidelines-plus/helping-providers-choose-effective-programs/) Helping Providers Choose Effective Programs was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7395075/) Peekaboo! The Effect of Different Visible Cash Display and Amount Options During Mail Contact When Recruiting to a Probability-Based Panel
Dec 28th 2023, 08:28

Abstract
Recent studies consistently showed that making cash visible with a windowed envelope during mail contact increases response rates in surveys. The visible cash aims to pique interest and encourage sampled households to open the envelope. This article extends prior research by examining the effect of additional interventions implemented during mail recruitment to a survey panel on recruitment rates and costs. Specifically, we implemented randomized experiments to examine size (small, large) and location (none, front, back) of the window displaying cash, combined with what part of the cash is shown through the window envelope (numeric amount, face/image), and various prepaid incentive amounts (two $1, one $2, one $5). We used the recruitment effort for NORC’s AmeriSpeak Panel as the data source for this study. The probability-based AmeriSpeak Panel uses an address-based sample and multiple modes of respondent contact, including mail, phone, and in-person outreach during recruitment. Our results were consistent with prior research and showed significant improvement in recruitment rates when cash was displayed through a window during mail contact. We also found that placing the window on the front of the envelope, showing $5 through the envelope compared to $2 and $1, and showing the tender amount compared to the image on the cash through the window were more likely to improve the recruitment rates. Our cost analyses illustrated that the cost difference in printing window versus no window envelope is small. There is no difference in printing cost between front window and back window as they both require custom manufacturing. There is also no cost difference in printing envelopes with small windows versus large windows. Lastly, we found no evidence of mail theft based on our review of the United States Postal Service’s “track and trace” reports, seed mailings sent to staff, and undeliverable mailing rates.
(https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx?code=ppsCxA&state=9efceced-dcc6-4c6a-b122-27371d430d5credirecturl%3Dhttpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjjssamzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjjssamzjsmad039zj7395075zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7395075/) Peekaboo! The Effect of Different Visible Cash Display and Amount Options During Mail Contact When Recruiting to a Probability-Based Panel was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/young-welsh-voices-created-children-and-young-people-who-rely-technology-communicate/) Young Welsh voices created for children and young people who rely on technology to communicate
Dec 28th 2023, 08:06

(https://www.gov.wales/young-welsh-voices-created-children-and-young-people-who-rely-technology-communicate?utm_source=rss-announcements&utm_medium=rss-feed&utm_campaign=announcements-Young+Welsh+voices+created+for+children+and+young+people+who+rely+on+technology+to+communicate) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/young-welsh-voices-created-children-and-young-people-who-rely-technology-communicate/) Young Welsh voices created for children and young people who rely on technology to communicate was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7452736/) A multilevel analysis of social determinants of skilled birth attendant utilisation among married and cohabiting women of Madagascar
Dec 28th 2023, 07:23

Abstract
Background
Maternal mortality ratio (MMR) in Madagascar is 392 deaths per 100 000 live births, and this is a major public health concern. One of the strategies for reducing MMR and achieving target 3.1 of the Sustainable Development Goals (i.e. reducing the global MMR below 70 per 100 000 live births) is the utilisation of skilled birth attendants (SBAs). This analysis examined the prevalence and social determinants of SBA utilisation among married and cohabiting women of Madagascar.
Methods
Data from the 2021 Madagascar Demographic and Health Surveys was analysed on a weighted sample of 6997 married and cohabiting women. A multilevel regression was carried out to determine the social determinants of utilising SBAs. The results are presented as odds ratios (ORs) associated with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) and a p-value <0.05 to determine the significant associations.
Results
The prevalence of SBAs among married and cohabiting women of Madagascar was 64.4% (95% CI 0.62 to 0.68). In model 3 of the multilevel regression, women 35–39 y of age (adjusted OR [aOR] 1.86 [95% CI 1.30 to 2.60]), women with secondary/higher education (aOR 1.67 [95% CI 1.32 to 2.10]), women whose partners had secondary/higher education (aOR 1.58 [95% CI 1.25 to 1.99]), cohabiting women (aOR 1.33 [95% CI 1.07 to 1.65]), women who had four or more antenatal care visits (aOR  2.05 [95% CI 1.79 to 2.35]), female household head (aOR 1.44 [95% CI 1.06 to 1.95]), Muslims (aOR 1.58 [95% CI 0.71 to 3.53]), those of the richest wealth index (aOR 4.32 [95% CI 2.93 to 6.36]) and women who lived in communities with high literacy levels (aOR 2.17 [95% CI 1.57 to 3.00]) had higher odds of utilisation of SBA.
Conclusion
This current analysis revealed low SBA utilisation among married and cohabiting women in Madagascar. The analysis points to the fact that understaffing and inaccessibility of health facilities remain major contributors to the low utilisation of SBAs. The findings call on the government and stakeholders in Madagascar to consider implementing programs that will empower women and focus on disadvantaged groups. These programs could include providing free maternal healthcare services to all pregnant women and intensifying health education programs that target women and their partners with no formal education.
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.b2vLJDfIlOARqbqogEjRQ48jVKsjtsL7uzu-esXghgfP0SlWuKWhYIWWsrwDUckEICottc0bDWvKOVAFGwlHZuVY1utAemagNo4thy-Ujh8Lwl4wn-NPLGFaBA8gQGypb4nA0gCoDF1in91UCl-yIt70aTuqthySlrBAOi8Jq7nSEG2bWFwhHCnYbbokEHa-jROQ-WEg2M3esoN-SpXqa5_WIrG79NVutyzDfK5SRgzbmIzGJRGycI-ClqmtL0QB3Jd-DFMfqUxyJMnuazHgu97958BJnYfcrHBHJS3mX4f1XsW70UeyTqKB7cYF40BFDrcFWp5V6j71AxxKjV4Gnw.JyV9oqWnlVM2cEv2.yWgIQYG1u0z-e3QoXByvRITR5kCvJFvLRCTtkLRtIt1kBn_OoKb3Q6LZTXrtWLgPOqHHAqK6jD_tbiXf_Nzbk5Gj5xGRe-soq_2i2lX1aS8N3V1z7xSeXyKa6I86VuP2IiTnA2aS6Mtx09ttc3OPQ9JtKAtkjv8xLx81rzjYTfOI1GVOm0EXqXUeSZm-zAqoN4DbDeNOyhDfE4iGiLofZV8UvUA.3H5vJzzzw9bzGKN67kqm6w&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=58c9f7e1-75d3-4b79-bc4d-307ce18fec3eredirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjinthealthzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjinthealthzjihad108zj7452736zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7452736/) A multilevel analysis of social determinants of skilled birth attendant utilisation among married and cohabiting women of Madagascar was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7444333/) Alternative Clinical Training During the First Year of COVID-19 Pandemic: Students’ Experience
Dec 28th 2023, 07:23

Abstract
The COVID-19 pandemic ushered in widespread restrictions that impacted clinical and academic settings. These restrictions required music therapy educators to not only shift their teaching platform but to find methods to engage students in the continued development of their clinical practice skills through practicum experiences while clinical sites were closed. To provide alternative practicum experiences, three music therapy faculty at a major metropolitan private university offered Telehealth Practica (THP) for undergraduate and graduate students in the first year of the pandemic. Music therapy faculty facilitated individual or group sessions with 10 clients to provide ongoing practicum experiences for students over the course of two semesters. Twenty-two students participated in five focus group interviews to share their experiences of THP. Using a thematic analysis, 14 themes were identified, and through further latent analysis, five attributes of the THP model: accessibility, usefulness, uniqueness, limitation, and potential were developed. THP offered students a new and novel learning opportunity that is not experienced in traditional in-person practicum, and they identified this as a valuable and unique training option. THP experience highlighted the need to develop student competencies and skills related to the use of technology for telehealth delivery, as telehealth has become a new norm and will be one of the ways health professionals continue to provide services in the future.
(https://academic.oup.com/mtp/advance-article/doi/10.1093/mtp/miad026/7444333?rss=1&login=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7444333/) Alternative Clinical Training During the First Year of COVID-19 Pandemic: Students’ Experience was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/europe-is-getting-older-but-who-cares/) Europe is getting older, but who cares?
Dec 28th 2023, 06:54

Across Europe, over the last 50 years, life expectancy has increased considerably. Europe is getting older, and people are living longer. By 2050, those aged 65 and over are expected to make up one-quarter of the population in Europe.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/europe-is-getting-older-but-who-cares/) Europe is getting older, but who cares? was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7429431/) Protection from Refuge: From Refugee Rights to Migration Management
Dec 28th 2023, 06:23

OggKate, Protection from Refuge: From Refugee Rights to Migration Management (Cambridge University Press2022) 215 pp, ISBN 978-1-316-51973-8 (hbk), ISBN 978-1-009-02425-9 (ebk)
(https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/authorize?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4R0NNIn0.U9To5xOymLpUYr9tUVTSLdVlaEQ1R3Ugz7yB5g3T_lc8lSda86izRUsEH29tR0aKfPcSzGfjnxhZMPXiNZifiae4fCr8dYNjp28wyl8YdJlyLhGxCbToqp-W_a6Fs-tL8eT-pYHJfvRWieruzzdB4fb28antEaNLZB5MTCXgt5NeJtkbHNrfFqg41O4Rqi06Yd8hgKU4pmfnK_67ZAT5lUUaDQbX32mjNL0jzueISjMoEGY0c4cg9KqAELt9lpgFeKYkCbpXdc7VsT2_coX-ATKsoh2X9ry8lvLZ6H3wUE0Y9A1QXbJhYbX9wfSSXOnIfAnPEf0Rdm4nZi5CogemtA.PY9FDGGHwB2CklEP.-aO3-IqrxwPhcl5sLCt8suz8MYJ0qWP5kZkMY0lwY_cQ_z-jLOFrnjHjS3GLSvLjTp4wyL6TIrvDFqxYoay5TefBrdCYuZmkOgf0ixbPtuuO5dkEzAMD6nsn-eybwWQstmm5x3lC2MmdUY30uPybpK0vZjJVpPhLMdb_EdvVEU0yP1c6RFQKAKSlBuUZZ7Hs4eU1z1C5gQanGirvK-v-YjD_-M8.Kp3ukGN0E50kFlrchU7iqg&ip_address=128.122.120.19&prompt=none&referrer_url=https://ifp.nyu.edu/&response_type=code&scope=openid+profile+email+license_lite+profile_extended+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx&client_id=ACADEMIC&state=74e64c7e-4d77-4e6e-b334-9fdfe3211080redirecturl=httpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjijrlzjarticlezj35zj2zj245zj7429431zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7429431/) Protection from Refuge: From Refugee Rights to Migration Management was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/ageing-with-an-alcohol-problem-is-not-what-i-envision-reclaiming-agency-in-shaping-personal-ageing-trajectory-and-recovery-from-alcohol-problems/) ‘Ageing with an alcohol problem is not what I envision’: reclaiming agency in shaping personal ageing trajectory and recovery from alcohol problems
Dec 28th 2023, 05:27

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/ageing-with-an-alcohol-problem-is-not-what-i-envision-reclaiming-agency-in-shaping-personal-ageing-trajectory-and-recovery-from-alcohol-problems/) ‘Ageing with an alcohol problem is not what I envision’: reclaiming agency in shaping personal ageing trajectory and recovery from alcohol problems was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7429413/) Monitoring for adverse drug events of high-risk medications with a computerized clinical decision support system: A prospective cohort study
Dec 28th 2023, 05:23

Abstract
Background
Monitoring is recommended to prevent severe adverse drug events, but such examinations are often missed. To increase the number of monitoring that should be ordered for high-risk medications, we introduced a clinical decision support system (CDSS) that alerting and ordering the monitoring for high-risk medications in an outpatient setting.
Methods
We conducted a 2-year prospective cohort study at a tertiary care teaching hospital before (phase 1) and after (phase 2) the activation of a CDSS. The CDSS automatically provided alerts for liver function tests for vildagliptin, thyroid function tests for immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) and multikinase inhibitors (MKIs), and a slit-lamp examination of the eyes for oral amiodarone when outpatients were prescribed the medications but not examined for a fixed period. The order of laboratory tests was automatically appeared if alert was accepted. The alerts were hidden and did not appear on the display before activation of the CDSS. The outcomes were the number of prescriptions with alerts and examinations.
Results
During the study period, 330 patients in phase 1 and 307 patients in phase 2 were prescribed vildagliptin, 20 patients in phase 1 and 19 patients in phase 2 were prescribed ICIs or MKIs, and 72 patients in phase 1 and 66 patients in phase 2 were prescribed oral amiodarone. The baseline characteristics were similar between the phases. In patients prescribed vildagliptin, the proportion of alerts decreased significantly (38% vs 27%, P<0.0001), and the proportion of examinations increased significantly (0.9% vs 4.0%, P<0.0001) after activation of the CDSS. In patients prescribed ICIs or MKIs, the proportion of alerts decreased significantly (43% vs 11%, P<0.0001), and the proportion of examinations increased numerically, but not significantly (2.6% vs 7.0%, P=0.13). In patients prescribed oral amiodarone, the proportion of alerts decreased (86% vs 81%, P=0.055), and the proportion of examinations increased (2.2% and 3.0%, P=0.47); neither was significant.
Conclusion
The CDSS has potential to increase the monitoring for high-risk medications. Our study also highlighted the limited acceptance rate of monitoring by CDSS. Further studies are needed to explore the generalizability to other medications and the cause of the limited acceptance rates among physicians.
(https://academic.oup.com/intqhc/advance-article/doi/10.1093/intqhc/mzad095/7429413?rss=1&login=true) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7429413/) Monitoring for adverse drug events of high-risk medications with a computerized clinical decision support system: A prospective cohort study was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/global-relationship-between-mediterranean-diet-and-the-incidence-and-mortality-of-ischaemic-heart-disease/) Global relationship between Mediterranean diet and the incidence and mortality of ischaemic heart disease
Dec 28th 2023, 05:17

The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/open-access-journal-articles/global-relationship-between-mediterranean-diet-and-the-incidence-and-mortality-of-ischaemic-heart-disease/) Global relationship between Mediterranean diet and the incidence and mortality of ischaemic heart disease was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/40287/) Psychological approaches within sustainable and global learning
Dec 28th 2023, 04:28

Sander, Jane and Conway, Paula, Think Global
 Comonwork, corp creators.  (2013) Psychological approaches within sustainable and global learning.   [ Think Global Thinkpiece Series 2013 ]
(https://dera.ioe.ac.uk/id/eprint/40287/) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/grey-literature/40287/) Psychological approaches within sustainable and global learning was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7425502/) Improving Donor Imputation Using the Prediction Power of Random Forests: a Combination of SwissCheese and missForest
Dec 28th 2023, 04:24

Abstract
Imputation procedures are frequently used to treat nonresponse. With random hot deck imputation, missing values are replaced by valid observed values from other units in the same dataset. The recently developed balanced nearest neighbor imputation method, implemented in the SwissCheese R package, generates random hot deck imputation under certain balancing constraints to decrease the variance of the total estimator, in the presence of multivariate nonresponse. The method relies on a notion of neighborhood between units, utilizing a distance measure that becomes difficult to define in high dimensions. In contrast to hot deck imputation methods, many imputation procedures obtain replacement values from prediction models fit from observed data. The missForest method, which uses random forests as prediction models, is an example of this approach. In this article, we propose a new approach that uses the two methods in a complementary manner. We refine the distance measure in the SwissCheese method using missForest predictions. Through a simulation study on empirical data from the Swiss Survey on Income and Living Conditions, we demonstrate reductions in Monte Carlo variance, bias, and mean squared error of the totals obtained by our proposed imputed estimator compared to those obtained using SwissCheese alone.
(https://academic.oup.com/HTTPHandlers/Sigma/LoginHandler.ashx?code=4u1LsZ&state=8b7d0f5f-9cae-49cf-b383-4466bdbb3d10redirecturl%3Dhttpszazjzjacademiczwoupzwcomzjjssamzjadvancezyarticlezjdoizj10zw1093zjjssamzjsmad040zj7425502zsrsszr1) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/7425502/) Improving Donor Imputation Using the Prediction Power of Random Forests: a Combination of SwissCheese and missForest was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/why-we-need-a-new-dickens/) Why We Need a New Dickens
Dec 28th 2023, 04:06

Dickens’s central accomplishment: He prodded (and entertained) millions of readers into caring about the poor. Instead of seeing the poor, as Malthus did, as some abstract, seething mass of “surplus population,” Dickens saw them as individuals, engaging enough to merit novels of 700, 800, and 900 pages. He made his readers see them that way too. And that was a revolutionary accomplishment.
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/news/why-we-need-a-new-dickens/) Why We Need a New Dickens was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/726628/) Syrian Refugees and Human Capital Accumulation of Working-Age Native Children in Turkey
Dec 28th 2023, 03:01

Journal of Human Capital, Volume 17, Issue 4, Page 557-592, Winter 2023.
(https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/726628?ai=16b&mi=3f1kj0&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/726628/) Syrian Refugees and Human Capital Accumulation of Working-Age Native Children in Turkey was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

(https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/08861099231206566/) Entrenched, Unrelenting, Unsettled: Cultural Essentialism in International Development Research on Domestic Violence in Nepal
Dec 28th 2023, 00:28

Affilia, Ahead of Print. Domestic violence (DV) is a serious problem that reinforces patriarchy and interlocking systems of oppression. Yet, as a form of gender-based violence, DV has long been implicated in essentialist discourses that produce cultural Others, primarily through a deficit lens. Similarly, the field of international development was founded upon a discursive binary between groups labeled “traditional” and an idealized portrait of Western modernity. Drawing on feminist and postcolonial scholarship, this study employed critical discourse analysis (CDA) to investigate how culture was constructed in 26 development research reports funded by international organizations that examined DV in Nepal. The analysis revealed that references to tradition and social change, and discourses of violence as endemic to place, sustained essentializing formulations of Nepali culture. Nevertheless, some passages in the documents inserted evidence that unsettled this essentialist narrative. These findings suggest that researchers, policymakers, and practitioners should develop a reflexive anti-essentialist stance, promote collaboration and leadership in research by diverse stakeholders in developing countries, seek to understand local strategies and resources that are being used to address social problems such as DV, and document the impacts of recent and transnational processes on social problems within developing countries.
(https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/08861099231206566?ai=2b4&mi=ehikzz&af=R) Read the full article ›
The post (https://ifp.nyu.edu/2023/journal-article-abstracts/08861099231206566/) Entrenched, Unrelenting, Unsettled: Cultural Essentialism in International Development Research on Domestic Violence in Nepal was curated by (https://ifp.nyu.edu) information for practice.

Forwarded by:
Michael Reeder LCPC
Baltimore, MD

This information is taken from free public RSS feeds published by each organization for the purpose of public distribution. Readers are linked back to the article content on each organization's website. This email is an unaffiliated unofficial redistribution of this freely provided content from the publishers.

(#) unsubscribe from this feed